A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Please give us a break.......... - TMS

Posted: Jul 15, 2010

How many Medical Transcriptionist right now feel like they are being discriminated against because of your lack of experience? 

Why are Medical Transcription companies only looking to hire experienced Medical Transcriptionist in a certain field?   Don't they realize the resources that are out there now, that can give someone the opportunity to grow in this field.  Right now there are so many people out of work and struggling to get a job and have little to no experience or they have experience, but not in every medical background...... Please give us a break and give us all a chance.  Thank you

They discriminate even further than that. If you have - more than 10, sometimes 5, years of -sm

[ In Reply To ..]
experience, they don't want you, either.

Actually, I think what it REALLY boils down to is, they don't really want American MTs at ALL. For now, they'll take as much experience (within their 3-5 year timeframe, of course), for as little as they can possibly get away with paying, until such time that they can move everything, MT, QA, Programmers, etc., to India or beyond, lock, stock and barrel.

Back in the day, you could train on the job to a certain extent, or even completely in some cases. But now, they want you to be a "producer" (why does that sound like a dairy cow to me?) from the get-go, with 99-100% accuracy, and no complaints about the ever-lowering pay.

"Growth" in the MT field is almost nonexistent, or stunted, at best. If you're still young enough to have the time to learn another field, I would most strongly recommend it. Unless some kind of a major miracle (or catastrophe) happens in MT in the next 5 years, I don't see how it will be able to continue on U.S. soil.

Of course, if you and your family are perchance considering a move to India, or the Philippines, or China, then I would say, go for it. .02-.03 cpl is big bucks in places like that. For now, anyway.

The problem is that there are so many people - un- and underemployed. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
When a company, especially the ones that do the specialty clinics, are hiring, they want someone to hit the ground running. They don't have a 20 person QA team to go through every report the novice turns in for the couple of months that it may take them to get up to speed on the terminology. In addition, the specialty physicians themselves often want their stuff five minutes ago and the person who is googling every other word or drug is not going to be able to do that.

New people require a degree of resources that their more experienced counterparts don't. While some of the larger MTSOs are willing to undertake that, the smaller ones aren't, and don't really need to. Ask yourself, if you were in the ER with a cut on your face, would you choose the plastic surgeon or the ER doctor who happens to be on that night?

Not wanting to groom new MTs to their & the clients' - corporate cultures is pretty short-sighted.

[ In Reply To ..]
What they're doing in essence is "narrowing the gene pool" of MTs. Eventually, all the experienced ones will have either retired, died, or gotten out of MT. All that will be left, and willing to work under the conditions that most MTSOs offer today, will be those living in cardboard boxes or under freeway overpasses. Or in Third World countries. Which seems to be precisely what these companies wanted, all long, since quality is no longer anywhere near as important as in raking in as much money as they can right now, and d@mn the future.

There's no doubt in my mind that someday (surely not soon enough for me), The Future will d@mn them right back.

I don't agree with your reasoning but do agree with the - end result. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't really think it's short-sighted to demand experience for specialty dictation. Much like a physician gets his general medical education before undertaking the residency/fellowship for his chosen specialty, it is not unreasonable to expect an MT to get her "general medicine" credentials through acute care in order to gain the cred/skills necessary to due the specialty fields.

I do agree that this field will eventually go the way of cardboard boxes, but I think your idea of handing out specialty jobs to unskilled MTs will do more to hasten that prevent it.
Im not saying hire only trainees, nor am I saying dont - give them a chance. Theres middle - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
ground out there that used to exist. I got my start as a newbie at an inhouse MTSO that had all experienced MTs. But, they had an empty spot to fill, and back then, with no ponderous PC quirks and and demographics to learn and wade through, I could concentrate on learning what really mattered in the long run - medical transcription. Other places I've worked gave clerical workers a chance to give MT a try by giving them easy things like negative chest x-rays and easy followup office visits. A couple of them did really well, and went on to become excellent MTs - all learned on the job, no schools. If they had a question, it was answered for them right away by any of us - no waiting around for an e-mail (and a snippy one, at that), and no demerits or warning letters. Just showed them the mistake, how to do it right, and presto. A better result than most QAs, and without all the drama.

My sister learned MT on job, too. She was a clerk in a hospital radiology department. They had just one MT. One day she was given the chance to try a radiology report, and she aced it. So she, too, learned on the job and went on from radiology to an acute care hospital with what is now a world-famous burn center.

Neither of us would have, or COULD have, gotten into MT without being taken in and trained by a hospital transcription department. If back then, you had to pay the high fees people pay nowadays, all for the opportunity to earn less than 7 cpl and be treated like dirt, there's no way I'd ever do it.

Also, regardless of the specialty, if someone is learning from the ground up, I think it's easier to get up to speed on just that one specialty, or at the very least, one hospital or clinic. You have to learn to walk before you can run.

Simply "handing out specialty jobs to unskilled MTs", or any jobs at all, isn't my idea. But if the current pay scale trend continues, it's all they're likely going to be able to get, because even the MTs in that golden "3-to-5-years' experience" time frame are getting wise to the MTSO game, and most are still young enough to get into another line of work.
Like you, I learned on the job - s/m
[ In Reply To ..]
In what was a very different world from what they've got now, I was actually paid while I learned, and instead of this stretched out course they have now, the hospital's training program was six months, and I wager I came out of my six months better prepared than any of the people graduating now from any of the schools after their 12-18 month courses.

I am not a believer, though, in putting a newbie into one set specialty. I think, especially because the information has not been firmly set in their brains yet, to limit themselves to one very specific specialty runs a big risk of losing the terminology to all the other systems, and is not going to do much to help their marketability down the road.

I think a newbie who really isn't looking to be challenged might do okay in a general practice setting. Anyone else, though, should start in acute care. The GINORMOUS MTSO hires newbies, probably just for the wage suppression benefits, and that would seem to make it a great way for a newb to get started. However, I've also noted that a lot of the new people fresh out of school want a M-F/9-5 schedule and therefore don't want the acute care jobs that require weekend or evening commitments.

I agree that most would be doing themselves a favor by finding another career path. It's a shame they've probably dumped a good chunk of money getting what is in many cases a subpar education for a crashing industry.
The problem with the companies, though, is they dont - utilize their MT talent wisely at all. -sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Even those of us who can do all specialties and multiple accounts need time to shift gears when we go from one to the other. The more accounts, demographics, idiosyncracies of the client, and specialties they throw at us in a given 8-hour shift, the slower we all become. At a past inhouse job, I did all specialties, but usually did them in blocks. I might do all Orthopedics in the morning, and after lunch it might be all Radiology, or all OB-GYN. For ONE client. The next day, I might be on a different hospital, and the same, or different specialties.

That way, you can start clipping right along when you're hearing familiar voices and familiar dictation, or dealing with familiar job specifications. But to have to stop, change your font, change your mindset, read through an entire folder full of account specs just to find out what their format looks like, or what their policy is about paragraph headings, etc., EACH TIME YOU OPEN A NEW JOB, all day long, is wasted time. Because you're doing account-researching all day, with every job, rather than just once or twice at the beginning of an entire block of jobs.

Why these so-called "experts" who manage the MT companies, haven't figure this out, is beyond me. I like variety, and I like having a work pool, but they want us to squeeze every ounce of speed out of our shift in order to be productive, and we try to do that because we need the money so bad. And yet, all these stumbling-blocks are thrown in our way to slow us down.

Unlike you, I believe the MTSOs know exactly what they're doing - to the MTs. sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe I've spent too much time sitting here on the grassy knoll, but I believe it's in the MTSOs best (meaning financial) interest to keep their MTs from getting really good, from getting a rhythm going, or becoming very proficient on an account.

If they were truly interested in efficiency, accuracy, and a quality product, sure it would make sense to have MTs devoted to one account. But then MTs might be making a decent wage again or be eligible for those pesky benefits that increasingly seem to dangle further out of our reach than ever before.

So don't think for a minute that management is clueless. They dumb like a fox, and probably laugh all the way to the bank at how easy it is to keep the MTs scrambling like mice in a maze.
I, too, was fortunate enough to become an MT via OTJ training - LuckyGirl
[ In Reply To ..]
I was hired to be an administrative assistant and provide administrative services to 6 physicians. The lead MT, who had worked there 20 years, saw my potential, talked to her manager, and then offered to train me as an MT on the job. It was just as you describe; all of that access to first-hand knowledge with none of the jumping through hoops new MTs today are required to complete. I had the "fire" to learn and, within 6 months, I was off and running on my own. With the way training is done today, and without access to all of the incredible knowledge available when training in-house, what I learned in 6 months would take at least 2 years. Looking back, I cannot even imagine being expected to learn all I did had I been working remotely from home rather than side-by-side with my mentor (in fact, about 8 mentors because every single MT at this facility wanted to help a newbie succeed, so they were all gracious, helpful and extremely supportive; there were no snarky comments for asking a question, misunderstanding an ESL, etc.).

Today, my mentor and I remain best of friends. She tells everyone she taught me everything I know, and then I taught her more than what she even knew. We still refer one another to jobs. Without her, I have no idea in what career I would be immersed today. I love medical transcription just as much now as I did in 1987 when she began mentoring me. IMO, you have to love this field to be successful in it, as I guess is true with any field; without passion, you'll be lackluster your entire career.

I realize times have changed but, IMHO, nothing can ever take the place of the privilege of being trained in-house with a staff of knowledgable, supportive MTs and face-to-face interaction with physicians.

You just can't possibly put a price tag on that experience, and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Lucky Girl - DMZ
[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with you 100%!!! It sounds like you and I had the same kind of background - I was working in the administration office for the CEO, director of finance and director of nursing when the medical staff work suddenly got dumped in our laps. I loved it, it was committee work and all that, but as they moved me to medical records and the department got behind on things, I offered to help if someone wanted to check my work. From there, I never looked back. Left the hospital in 1995, having started my own business for some of the local docs, and working at home for MQ (when it was still Medical Record Corporation)....from there, I've made a few job changes but I always send the girls who trained me and helped me a vase of flowers every year...without them, I would not have the knowledge and everything else that goes with it to work at home. OJT is much more beneficial than a classroom setting. In my eyes, a "certificate" that you graduated is just that, a piece of paper that means you went through the motions to achieve it. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm old school - learn it by living it. I'm sure there are others of us out there who learned OJT also....it's the way to go.
Some of the worst MTs I know were trained in-house OTJ - It depends on the job and the MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I know my own experience working in-house was awful. Nobody was helpful. Everyone was jealous of everyone else and trying to make other MTs look bad any time they had a chance. There was very little learning going on. Never would I want to work in that environment.

Then I had a friend who had also learned on the job. I really thought she was good, because she said she was. Then I saw her work and I wondered how she ever kept a job.

You really can't generalize, in my opinion. Many people who think and say they are the best really aren't and a few probably are. I'm just not buying the theory that it's best to learn on the job. I've been an MT for many, many years and I don't believe it ever was as good as many remember it being. LOL.
I totally agree with you. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I, too, was trained on the job in 1985. I started out as a pathology transcriptionist. I had just finished a medical terminology class before I got the job. I cannot believe they hired me with no experience, but they trained me. Then I went to radiology because I needed full-time work at the time. I was trained there also with no experience in radiology. It is so different from being at home. At least, inhouse, you have people who are willing to listen to a jerk doctor who is an ESL. AGGGH! So, yes I agree 100% that you cannot put a price tag on that and, by the way, they are getting to be rare.
I was trained on the job at a huge hospital and had to relearn later - There was so much I missed
[ In Reply To ..]
There were huge holes in my OTJ education. It didn't work for me.
My experience was totally opposite. - In-House OJT
[ In Reply To ..]
I was hospital trained after working for several years as a nurses' aide (which the hospital had also trained me to do in the pre-certification days). Maybe because we were a trauma center, albeit small, but there was nothing we didn't come across and we typed for every department. Everyone was expected to not only the Big-4 of acute care, but also radiology, ER, EEG, EMGs, the cath lab, Holters, dept meeting minutes, pathology, sleep studies, PT notes...pretty much anything anybody wanted to pick up a phone and dial in. Even though the drugs and instruments have changed, I credit that learning environment with enabling me now to pretty much get through anything they toss my way.

I think the biggest problem now is that newbies are paid on production. Back when I was training (no school), I was encouraged to look things up, was provided the resources to do so (every desk had a Dorland's, Surgical Word Book, Medical Word Book, and current drug index), and was able to actually "learn" what I was writing rather than just the correct spelling. Some MTSO could produce some loyal and good employees if they had the foresight to hire newbies, even at minimum wage, and mentor/train them and I'd wager they could still make a tidy profit.

If I had the connections and financial wherewithal, that would almost be a good business model...a sort-of halfway house for new MTs to be closely monitored/mentored without the pressure of producing 200 lines/hour. Considering the profits they make off those that don't need that attention, the big companies could easily afford being a little altruistic.

Discrimination? - Really?

[ In Reply To ..]
If I'm hospitalized, I'd much rather have an experienced nurse, even a cranky one, taking care of me, than a brand new nurse without a clue.

In today's environment of faster, cheaper, better, there's just no room to take on new MTs. I'm actually glad that as an older MT, I'm getting calls because I have experience (contrary to the train of thought on here that keeps saying older MTs aren't being hired).

I wonder how many new MTs are going to on-site jobs and applying? Careerbuilder has lots of them. If you're insisting that you can only do MT at home, then you're limiting your options, not the options limiting you.

I've taken on new MTs who make next to nothing an hour. With the dive in today's wages, I don't see how someone would even survive anyway, so perhaps the discrimination you perceive is a gift. Start combing your want ads locally, visit the dr offices, clinics, hospitals and apply. But remember, the unemployment rate is very high and when looking at a newbie or someone who can pick up the ball and run with it, well, I'm taking the ball carrier.

Don't give up though. You might just have to tweak your requirements.

No experience - Linda

[ In Reply To ..]
What really hurts is that the school I went to (and many others) gave us no inkling that we would not be able to get a job. My instructors are well-known in the MT industry, but they didn't give us a clue that it would almost be impossible to get a job.

Of course they wouldn't want you to know that. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
People would not have kept signing those checks if they knew how very difficult it would be to even find a pocket money job, let alone one they could support themselves with. It would be like going to school to learn how to repair 8-track tape players.

and if the were honest about it, would you sign up? - say anything just show me the money NM

[ In Reply To ..]

They dont care about your success, only your MONEY. - Schools are a scam, just like MT itself, has becom

[ In Reply To ..]

Wait! Lemme guess! They're all part of AAMT/AHDI - Right? nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
AAMT/AHDI - jj
[ In Reply To ..]
Has never done anything for MTs except to exploit them. Don't defend this orgnanization, please.

CareerBuilder? Really?? I just now went to that site - and took a look. Not much there. (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
Other than just ads for what looked like a real transcription job and a real coder job, the majority of the postings on each page were just ads for "Learn to transcribe" or "Learn coding". It was just set up to LOOK like a job. Instead, most of it was ad after ad by the SAME COMPANY, with a different city added each time.

I'm an experienced (25+ years) MT, and would LOVE to get back to an in-house job again. One that pays by the hour, and not in bread-crumbs. Unfortunately, they are very few and far-between. Most are per diem or part-time. Others want you, in addition transcribing, to be running the entire office, rooming patients, and cleaning up vomit. All for $12/hour.

(PS): I meant to say "just a FEW ads". Sorry! - (Whole different meaning).

[ In Reply To ..]

MTSO's are "equal-opportunity discriminators"..... - they discriminate against all AMERICAN workers.

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know about other places, but where I work, all the perks, the opportunities, and the incentives bypass their U.S. workforce, and go straight to INDIA.

A vicious cycle - Kathy

[ In Reply To ..]
It's a vicious cycle: If you don't have a job, you can't get experience. If you can't get experience, you can't find a job. This is the unfortunate reality of the industry. Most transcription services are this way due to their own experience. MTs with experience are easier to train, more accurate, have a lower rate of delinquency, etc.., that those that are not trained.

Like the above comment says, tweak your resume. What can you do that sets you apart from other MTs with little experience? Perhaps showing a commitment to dependability, to accuracy, etc... could go a long way. The emphasis is on the word 'show.' Many people tell you they are dependable, but it is much better to show it if possible.

Wouldn't call it discrimination at all - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
It's the law of supply and demand. Companies are much more likely to hire people without experience when they can't find enough experienced applicants. When they can get experience, that's what they prefer. This is true in every industry, not just ours. There is an oversupply of MTs at the moment, so the experienced ones get the jobs. It's really that simple. What's unfortunate is the schools telling students that jobs are plentiful. They aren't right now, and the newbies get left out in the cold.

Give you a break? - Logical One

[ In Reply To ..]
Please do not use the word "discrimination" so frivilously. Wanting to hire those who are the best, the fastest and the most experienced does not begin to meet the definition of "discrimination." I will absolutely continue to hire the most experienced, as will any other businessperson. I feel your pain and I hope you find something that meets your needs, but truly it is not at all realistic to ask or even to hope that a company will hire a newbie over someone with 20+ years of experience. I am sorry that is the way it is, but that is the way it is, plain unvarnished truth. I feel sorry for people trying to break into MT today, and although I cannot change the financial facts of business life, I do sympathize. When people ask me if they should study MT, I emphatically say NO.

some places want newbies but not for the right reasons - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I graduated from a school a year ago and have learned the hard way that some places deliberately hire newbies because they can pay us less and then let us go when we make "too much", only to replace us with a new batch of newbies.

Here is how to get a break - Annie

[ In Reply To ..]
Doesn't your school have a placement program? If not, why not? They should be helping you. Good luck!

experience... - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I wish you luck and feel that they should consider all applicants, not just based on years of experience.

This profession has become very difficult even for those of us with years of experience. I have 15 years of experience, and this field has gone downhill. They cut our pay based on VR, send work overseas, pick apart our work, run out of work without giving us a second account, etc. I have also worked in hospitals for years, and it was not this kind of environment. I have the experience and am able to do a lot of work, yet I am left to wonder why I'm back to job searching again. The MT companies often overhire to the point of putting those who have counted on the jobs out of work...Very sad...

Yes, but are you willing to work in an office/clinic to get - experience? MTSOs dont have time/staff to mentor.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Just Sick Of It - Give Me A Break!
Sep 15, 2010

I hate it when "supposedly" the platform is not functioning properly or their system is "down" because I am making way too many lines for your (MTSO) taste. Then, it is finally "fixed" and you give me the worst and oldest dictations available.  Who exactly are you kidding?  Is this supposed to slow me down so I don't get that many lines.  Give me a break - I know this trick, been an MT way too long.  Just had to vent - Please do not try to convince me this is in my imagi ...

Using EMR Give Tax Break To Companies
Dec 09, 2011

Ran across this on Internet. Interesting. Section 179 Tax Code-2011 Expires  Section 179 has been extended to 2011 and made BIGGER! Section 179 of the IRS tax code allows businesses to deduct the full purchase price of qualifying Software/Equipment purchased or leased during the tax year. That means that, if you buy (or lease) a piece of qualifying equipment, you can deduct the FULL PURCHASE PRICE from your gross income. Cost of the Equipment/Software: $150,000Section 179 Depreciat ...

Hiring Again. Give Me A Break.
Nov 13, 2013

Good grief. MM ad just came up on Craigslist in my area. Geez, I figured, since we are entering the holiday season, it must be time for layoffs. ...

How Often Do You Take A Break?
Jul 18, 2010

I was just curious how often you get up to stretch your muscles and move around, etc.  I am trying to every hour or so take a 5 minute break or my muscles in my upper back and neck start to ache.     ...

What Happens When You Break A Job?
Jan 10, 2011

x ...

USING THE BREAK FUNCTION
Nov 10, 2009

Have you ever used the break function simply because you had a dictator that was so horrible that you got frustrated and sent it back?  I know that we are not supposed to do this and that MQ supposedly keeps track of how many breaks we use but I have to admit I have done this no occasion.  I had a report so bad a couple of weeks ago which was over 1000 seconds long and an ESL doctor, not to mention scratchy sound, etc.  About halfway through this thing I had already spent nearly 2 ...

CMT= +0.005 CPL, Or 55,000 Lines To Break Even
Mar 25, 2010

It was 275- for the exam when I took it, valid for 3 yrs. It took 2.5 hrs of my life, plus driving time to the big city. Worth it?  Maybe for job hunting. ...

Summer Break
May 28, 2010

How do other mothers deal with summer break when their kids are out of school as far as working for a company?  Do some companies let you have summers off and then return in the fall?  Do some MTs change their schedules around possibly doing work at night, etc?  Any companies better about this than others? ...

Spring Break Or Spring Break?
Apr 13, 2011

Spring Break or spring break?  ...

Are We No Longer Getting Break Pay?
Aug 17, 2012

I noticed today that the break pay section of the timesheet was gone today and when I clocked off a minute ago after working for 7 hours that in the "break" box, it said 0.00, when usually it would be 0.33.  Anyone know?  I know it's not a lot of money, but I usually get about 3 hours per pay period and about $30.  I would hate to lose that, cause every dollar counts. ...

How Often Do You Take A Break And For How Long? Sm
Jan 25, 2015

I am trying to increase my production and am wondering if I push through could I take a break and then be more productive when I go back.  How often do you take a break and for how long? ...

Typed As Dicated, I Can't Seem To Break It Up
Feb 08, 2010

She has had bilateral tremors dating back at least a year and a half, when we first saw her in July, and noted a long history of anxiety and Geodon use, the latter starting about 3 months before the tremor, and at the time noticed on exam a 4-extremity tremor, worse right greater than left, a mixed rest and action, with marked rigidity right greater than left, upright gait with some posture instability and a masked facies with a decreased blink rate and a po ...

Low Work Due To Spring Break???
Mar 20, 2013

Now low work this morning is due to spring break.  Next week it will be Easter.  What then??  To my knowledge hospitals are open 27/7 and still take patients.  Wonder what the next excuse will be--why don't they just tell the truth.  ...

Break On Awful Dictators
Jun 22, 2013

To bad we don't get a break with the awful dictators. When you get those your line count goes down, and you are dinged for that. Really sucks when your line count for the week is above the minimum but all there is to do in the que are the hard to hear....now line count is below minimum :( ...

Unpaid 30 Minute Break And...
Jul 22, 2013

I don't mind having an unpaid 30-minute break, but the thing that bothers me about some of these companies is the fact that it is tiring sitting at a computer for 8 hours and getting only a 30 minute break.  If I want two more 15 minute breaks those can be worked in, but then I have to add back 30 more minutes to my time! I like to at least stretch ever hour or so.  :/  ...

Yes, Please Let Me Sit Here For 5 Solid Minutes While You Take A Break To Eat
Oct 09, 2014

x ...

Do We *have* To Take A Lunch Break, Or Can We Just Work
Feb 02, 2015

x ...

California Rest Break FYI
May 15, 2015

"(c) If an employer fails to provide an employee a meal or rest orrecovery period in accordance with a state law, including, but notlimited to, an applicable statute or applicable regulation, standard,or order of the Industrial Welfare Commission, the OccupationalSafety and Health Standards Board, or the Division of OccupationalSafety and Health, the employer shall pay the employee one additionalhour of pay at the employee's regular rate of compensation for eachworkday that the meal or rest ...

Registered Nurse Wants To Break Into MT Field
Jan 18, 2010

I have been working in this field for many, many years.  When I started, it was a little easier to break into this field.  It was in an era when everyone didn't work at home and every company didn't require 2 years experience.  I figured the newbies on this board would know the answer to my question.  I have a friend who has been an RN for years and would like to break into the MT field.  Being that she has terminology/medical experience, is there any way ...

Does Break Send A Job Right Back To The Pool?
Feb 17, 2010

I've been told abandon leaves the job out in limbo for a couple of hours. ...

S/l Bronto Was Used To Break These Stones Up, I.e., Gallstones
Aug 12, 2010

I've got almost the exact same word question as someone below, not sure if we're from the same company or if this is just a wild coincidence, but I thought I'd try again for responses.   This is in a cholecystectomy:   The gallbladder was then removed from the bed of the liver and placed into an EndoCatch bag and retrieved through the subxiphoid incision. This had to be enlarged somewhat due to the large nature of the stones. The <__(s/l bronto)_____> was ...

Abandon Or Break Very Long Report
Jan 08, 2011

I have a report in my queue that is 3183 seconds in length and I am currently typing a 1000-second report.  When I finish my current report, I know I won't have time to type the 3000-second report before we go into maintance, and will lose it all if I tried.  I know this is dictation through the whole 3000 seconds because I know who is dictating it.  In 6 years, I have never abandoned or broke a report before, but I'm going to have to do so now and leave a message t ...

From Thread Below, Clocking Out For Potty Break?
Jan 20, 2011

I never clock out for breaks.  Am I supposed to?  I am scheduled for 4 hours at a time with a 1-hour break in the middle.  If I clock out for a break, don't I have to make up the time at the end of my shift?  I don't wanna do that.  I take a break whenever I feel like it.  I can't type 4 hours straight.  How does it work for everybody else? ...

MT Week / Take A Union Break - Monday
May 15, 2011

Since apparently we MTs aren't ready to go on strike en masse - and some are deadset against it - how about this Monday, for MT Week, Take A Union Break, and watch an informative video, which talks about people getting fired for union organizing: Just Google: Mike Elk Video Stop Unionbusting Interestingly, it's two men talking: Would the video come across differently, if two women were talking about union busting? How about union busting as it affects telecommuters and other a ...

MT Week / Tuesday / Take A Union Break
May 16, 2011

Suggested Activity: Keep Track of Your Donations I've heard time and again the complaint that MTs are expected to do work for which they are NOT being compensated. Well, there's a name for that – it's called "a donation." Starting today, keep track of the donations you make as an MT to your company – you can even print up a form, so you can keep track for an entire month – is it the header you don't get paid for? What exactly are the items in the header you ...

MT Week / Wednesday / Take A Union Break
May 18, 2011

Suggested Activity: Check out this union that actually worksâ€Â¦and send greetings! All you need to do is Google: Hospital Workers, Facing Layoffs, Launch Counterattack On Executives The union involved is National Union of Healthcare Workersâ€Â¦and guess what – when they were asked to make big concessions, they said no – and pointed out how much money the hospital bigwigs were getting – why not start with cutting THEIR pay, instead of asking the average worker to embrace painf ...

Take A Short Break And Watch The Video
Feb 05, 2013

Hum Tax Break For Sending Work Oversease
Sep 13, 2013

Instead of giving companied incentive to keep work in this country, they are now rewarded with leaving. And you wonder why we are losing our jobs. Look to the all powerful all knowing federal gvt.. ...

Moonstra Cast For Forearm Bone Break?
Dec 07, 2009

Not sure what nme of cast is...  Sounds like Moonstra.   Thanks for any help you can give me. ...

Diwali - I Hope The Indian Docs Take A Break As Well!
Nov 02, 2010

I have a rough one today.  2 long reports, like 30 minutes each..and of course ASR and took me longer than if I just typed them---sigh... thus is the life at the Q!! ...