A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Just kind of surprised with MTs and "computer issues" - nn

Posted: Oct 08, 2012

I am really surprised at the number of MTs who have been on recently asking about which companies provide computers.  The advantage to having a company-provided computer is that if something happens to said computer, then the company has to provide technical support or provide you with a replacement computer.  Precyse, the last I knew, sends out a Netbook computer, so you still need a monitor, etc and there is no way that you can load your "own programs" or even be able to access the internet.  MANY, if not all, of the companies that provide computers, will not allow you to load "personal stuff" into their systems. 

Last year, I had a desktop and laptop crash on me at basically the same time.  I went to Walmart and spent around $300 (including tax) on a laptop.  I asked the tech person at the company that I worked for at the time whether Windows 7 Home Premium would work and he assured me it would and it did.  There are rent-to-own places where you can get a computer (which is what I did with my OLD laptop) and I loaded my own software on there.  Again, if anything happens, you can take it into the Rent-A-Center or AArons.  You need to know computer specs.  The computer I have has an AMD processor, (a bit slower than Intel), but still works with most of the MT platforms I have used.  The ONE thing that I would sugggest and HIGHLY suggest is getting a USB transfer cable ($20).  That way, you can transfer data from old computer to new computer. 

Keep in mind that most companies now provide a "bare bones computer" and the fact too, that it is for "work only," not for the rest of the family to use. 

I am the original poster who started the latest thread on company board re company computers. sm - anon from Company Board

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the information. I already have a full-time job with a company-supplied computer, however, looking for a part-time job with a company computer. Have my own PC that I bought with all the bells and whistles built for gaming, which I don't do, but knew it would be a powerhouse and would not need to be replaced quickly, plenty of memory and big hard disk. Had it built with both new and old floppy disk slots and CD/DVD writable drive since I have quite a few old, old disks I play around with occasionally. Cost quite a bit back then. I never use company computers for personal use, and I don't want the company sticking their nose in my own PC. LOL. Semi-retiring soon and not going to spend money on a separate computer for work. For the pitiful amount we are now paid, the least they can do is cough up a computer to use.

A part time job with company computer? - nonny

[ In Reply To ..]
A part-time job with the company supplying the computer is NOT gonna happen. That is an unrealistic expection on your part and with you working only part-time for the company, why would expect them to provide the computer? You have your "bells and whistles" computer use that and learn how to back things up using a USB cable to an external hard drive.

Original poster. sm - anon from Company Board

[ In Reply To ..]
My "bells and whistles" computer is set to automatically back everything up already, but thanks for the tip about an external hard drive. My computers are hard-wired. I don't believe in using wireless for work computers for security reasons. To each his own.

Unrealistic or not, have already had at least one offer of a company-supplied computer for part-time work, however, not sure if I want to go with that particular company. There still are some out there. Have a great day!

Work computers - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, the Windows Home Edition is NOT for commercial use, which is what transcription is. By law, you need to use the Professional version. Also, there is a big difference in the Home/Student version versus Professional as far as formatting, etc. You might not notice it on your end, but the clients will.

The most important equipment besides a great sound card is a transcriptionist's computer. I cannot even imagine carrying out business duties on a $300 computer, especially with today's technical requirements. Take it from me.... queen of computer problems, now thankfully resolved with money and a new IT technician who knows what he is doing. I have $7,000 invested alone in my "transcription computer," which does not include the dictation system, which is on a separate expensive computer using Windows 7 Professional.

All of the posts regarding "cumbersome platforms" make total sense after reading all these posts about cheap laptops being used instead of a high-quality desktop.

I'm so glad you are the "Queen of Computers" - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, I am sooo glad that you were able to invest that amount of money in a computer system. Most of us do not have 7-10K lying around to invest. Secondly, madame, I have a wireless connection and no way to hook up an ethernet cable. The last time I hooked up, the tech from Comcast told me that an ethernet cable connection would not be necessary, because both computers were laptops.

I too, have built my "own systems," (back when I could afford to do so). READ the ads -- most if not all ads that state the platform will run on Windows 7 do NOT state which version of Windows 7 is necessary. When 7 came out, I did my "homework." VERY few computers came loaded with Windows 7 Professional. I would kindly suggest you climb off your horse and out of your tower and look at the REAL world, where the majority of people do not have a TON of money to spend.

She said she was Queen of Computer Problems. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
Read her post again - nn
[ In Reply To ..]
x

I did not have that money to spend. I lived on nothing in order to keep my jobs - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
And I am also paying several thousand in medical bills and dictation systems. I lived on nothing and took out loans. I paid for Professional version. Trust me, I DO LIVE IN THE REAL WORLD...including $4600 in business overhead every month IF nothing breaks or needs to be replaced and several thousand per month in medical. Wireless cards and routers---these work on desktops as well. Dah.... Unfortunately, due to all the lead in our building, I have to hard wire everything.
That is huge overhead. - RC
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not doubting you or being sassy, but $4600 overhead for transcription seems exceptionally high. I'm an IC and can't imagine what would possibly cost so much every month.
Overhead, paying for highest sound quality - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Dictation system using land lines and expensive dictation system (which has to be replaced every 1-1/2 -2 years) with the best sound card possible.....takes up most of it...separate computers, website, web hosting for business emails, private office, Internet, cell (I only use this for clients and never for personal use), etc., etc.....This is just for basics and does not include costs such as software upgrades, equipment, hiring/training help for overflow, or other costs---just bare bone costs if nothing breaks and medical separate. I mentioned above we are supposed to use professional versions of Microsoft and not home edition, as we are using it for commercial purposes.
You are full of it. Read my comment below. nm - AdaptedWell
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
$4600 a month or whatever? - OP
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sorry but I have to agree. Excuse me. I run FREE versions of programs. I have a Walmart laptop that seems to be fine now -- after a nasty virus. I have no clue how someone is spending that per month, unless you have your own contracts.
Queen? sm - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Oh, you are an IC. That is a whole different ball game from being an employee drone with little pay and little to deduct at end of year. No, I would not expect a computer to be supplied for an IC, but I do feel one should be supplied for employee drones. Yeah, I'm living back in the day.

My original thread back on the company board was about employees only. Sorry for any confusion.

I'm doing fine with my little laptop under1000 dollars no matter what - platform sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Though 7000 dollars is a bit excessive, it really has nothing to do with the cost, and more of what's inside and who built it, in my opinion.

She's full of it. - AdaptedWell

[ In Reply To ..]
The person who posted this comment is a not a transcriptionist. Only an idiot would invest $7000 in a transcription computer which would be outdated within 6 months. This is the most ludicrously false post I have ever read.

I have a BSc in computer science, I am Microsoft and Cisco Certified, I am also a remote transcriptionist. I own 9 computers, none of which cost more than $400 new. I have NEVER had sound card problems, or processor speed problems with any of even the most cumbersome applications and platforms, and I'm even able to work remotely from a $90 ACER Netbook. The key is not to bog your work computer down with any unneccessary software, and don't let anyone else use the computer (especially children).

Please do not buy any of the cr&p this person is selling. $7000 will buy you a car; NO ONE...I repeat NO ONE spends $7000 on at-home equipment.

...and as regards Windows Home Edition and MSOffice Home/Student version, this person is ALSO full of it. When you buy a Microsoft product, you are not restricted to using only for 'personal' or for 'business' tasks. Microsoft has written robust operating systems and office software to handle both business and personal tasks, in all of it's operating systems, in all versions.

This poster is being taken to the cleaner, literally, by a "new IT" guru. Cheap laptops are absolutely more than sufficient for our daily work on any platform.

Addendum to my original post -- grrr - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
Okay, I am sure that many run antispywre, virus protection and antimalware. However, EVERY time these are run, unless you have automatic updates, the program will NOT detect anything new that has come into your computer. Again, computer basics 101. I run Avast, I have Malwarebyyes and Superantispyware -- I run UPDATES before I scan. Also, keep kids off computer that you use for WORK and do NOT download Chrome (full of viruses) -- use IE or Firefox.

I love Chrome. - RC

[ In Reply To ..]
I use Avast, which I also like, although I have had problems with it when it runs updates--it blocks eScription until the update is updated. It usually only takes a day for it to be fixed.

I find Chrome to be much cleaner and faster than IE and especially Firefox, which is just plain sloppy looking to me.

nother tip is "toolbars" that automatically install - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
TE or whatever toolbars are full of viruses as well. i DO not download these and if they do download and I notice, I immediately remove them.

Similar Messages:

What Kind Of Computer Do You Like Best?
Aug 20, 2011

I am looking at computers (tiger direct) and dont know which kind to get for transcription.  Can you tell me any brands that you really like or to stay away from? ...

Surprised!
Dec 14, 2010

I got a new computer from MQ today!  It is a slimmer CPU that can either stand or lay on a desk, its really small, AND a flat screen monitor and these awesome headphones with volume control on the headset!  I'm so happy!  (Now if I had some work to do...)  haha!  ...

Surprised
Dec 11, 2014

Boy was i surprised today.  I work as a coder for a large midwestern teaching hospital network/medical college.  We have an aggregate of about 900 inpatient beds, 160-some outpatient clinics on our campus, plus multiple satellite sites, 3 ERs and several urgent cares. a cancer center, a heart hospital, and 2 ambulatory surgery centers - so lots of transcription.  Today at our CODING meeting while discussing some upcoming changes to our epic system and striving for improved documen ...

Surprised No One Commented Yet...
Apr 05, 2010

or are we just so numb that we just expected it?  I read that update...no 401k matches for 2009 and no approved employee merit raises for 2010.  BUT we should be happy with all the other benes we are given, according to the suits. Well let's see...I have the "benefit" of watching my pay drop over the last few years.  I have the "benefit" of not seeing a pay raise.  I have the "benefit" of seeing NJA almost every day.    I know I am not alone.  Aren& ...

Pleasantly Surprised
Sep 28, 2010

I don't know what's going on at the Q, and I know I'm going to jinx it, but I've had 14 reports in a row of straight typing!!!!  If this keeps up I'm gonna work until is stops!  Honey! Put on another pot of coffee!!!     ...

Surprised And Confused
Aug 11, 2014

I am never OOW with Nuance.  I am busy all day long everyday.  It blows my mind to hear that people run out of work constantly and can't make money.  The money isn't great I know, but it's not bottom of the pile either.  I worked at a lot of places before and had problems with TMs, OOW, low compensation, horrible hours and schedule, but not here.  I must be lucky or something.  ...

Surprised No One Has Mentioned MT Week Yet. Nm
May 20, 2014

ff ...

Surprised There's No Mention On This Board
Aug 23, 2014

of the millions of medical records that were hacked into by Chinese hackers: "A group of sophisticated Chinese hackers, known for its high-stakes corporate espionage has a history of stealing medical-device blueprints, prescription-drug formulas and other valuable intellectual property from large health-care companies." http://bloom.bg/1sQpVdV In the article, it mentions a Franklin, Tennessee company.   ...

No Longer Surprised But Always Still Upset--sm
Nov 06, 2014

Yes, I have seen this enough times that it no longer surprises me.  There were 18 reports on my primary.  I have an hour left of my shift.  When I anticipated downloading the next one, all 18 were gone, gone, gone.  It is upsetting.  I would try adjusting my schedule but it would do no good, there normally is too little work during that time as it is.  I already will be taking about 3 hours of PTO for being OOW on Sunday.  It would be 4 but I have made up some ...

Although I"m Not Surprised To Read This Story, I AM
Mar 16, 2010

- the medical transcription schools, weren't mentioned.  Most likely it's because more people the below-mentioned classes than MT.  Still, it's proof that when times are hard, there are vultures out there preying on those who are just trying to get by:   One fast–growing American industry has become a conspicuous beneficiary of the recession: for–profit colleges and trade schools. At institutions that train students for careers in areas like health ...

With All The KS Bashing Here Any Time Anyone Mentions Them, I Wouldn't Be Surprised
Oct 04, 2011

This is how it went for Webmedx a few months before they sold to Nuance.  I sure hope not, because I love my job and do not want to go back to working for Medquist. ...

Fairly New And Was Pleasantly Surprised To Get A Generous Bonus
Dec 10, 2014

Is this a profit sharing bonus or do we normally get a bonus around Thanksgiving every year, and will we also get a Christmas bonus. Thx ...

Webmedx - Company Computer Versus Own Computer?
Feb 04, 2010

I read that Medmedx supplies computers but you can only have Cable or DSL connection.   I live in an area where I cannot get cable or DSL.  I have a wireless connection.   My question is, do they allow you to use our own computers?   Thanks for your time and have a great day? ...

Own Personal Computer Versus MQ Supplied Computer?
Jul 18, 2011

The reason I ask this question is for my internet I have a USB modem.  Do the computers supplied by Q have any extra USB ports so I can plug my Verizon in there? Thanks! ...

Change From Company-provided Computer To Own Computer
Aug 04, 2011

I am in the process of transitioning jobs and will be going from a company-provided computer to my own.  Any suggestions on what software programs are needed, virus protection, word expanders, line counting, and hardware like foot pedal?  The hospital I am looking into will be using Microsoft Word.  Any comments on whether this is a good program or not to transcribe on?  Any tips?  I have been with the same company for 15 years, so have been out of the loop and need ...

Here's A Different Kind Of Job
Nov 17, 2012

write test questions http://www.geiswriters.com/ ...

Be Kind To Your TSM Day.
Dec 04, 2014

Seriously - they are being dragged through this with us. They need their jobs just like we do. I am sure they don't like it and their kool-laid pitchers are empty but they have to play the game. Let's just don't shoot the messenger - they are just trying to survive just like us. They don't like it anymore than we do but can't say it. :) ...

What Kind Of Clamp?
Jan 28, 2010

The uterus was clamped at the adnexa with a large _______ clamp. I really can't tell what it's saying...MAYBE "angled Z clamp", but I don't really know. It is a hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy. What are my choices?  ...

What Kind Of Brainiac
Jun 01, 2010

puts a stutterer on ASR? ...

Some Kind Of Biopsy
Jan 04, 2011

She also is status post sigmoid loop colostomy in 2007 with _____ biopsy.  Sounds like the doc is saying ped-rectal biopsy.  Can't find it anywhere.  Any ideas? ...

What Kind Of Imaging?
Jan 12, 2011

Hello! :) I am trying to transcribe a radiology report and the Dr. said something that sounds like "flare imaging." Is there such a thing as flare imaging? This is the sentence: ..."increased signal on (flare) imaging, larger on the left than on the right."  Appreciate any insight! ~Lotte ...

Not Funny, But It Kind Of Is.
Dec 09, 2011

Googled homeless shelters in my area to see if I could volunteer.  What do you think pops up beside the information?  "Become a medical transcriptionist at your own pace."  It should say "Become a medical transcriptionist and you may need a homeless shelter". ...

Use A Laptop For MT? What Kind Do You Have?
Feb 03, 2012

I've been perusing laptops on Amazon.  Never had one before, so don't know that much about them.  If you were going to use one for one week out of each month to transcribe on, which one would you buy?  Or, if you already use one, what kind did you buy and why?  How many USB ports does it have?  How much memory?  Screen size?   Headphone jack?  Sound quality?   How long do you work on it per day?   Pros & cons?  ...

Try This,,,Now That Im Kind Of Comfy With ASR
Mar 21, 2012

Now that I am settled in on the ASR, not saying I like it or prefer it..I did turn the music back on...I used to do it all the time when I was on straight typing..If you can find the right music, like I play stuff that I really really know well, so I hear it but I dont hear it, know what I mean...but the rhythm seems to keep me moving well..Granted some of the dictators are impossible and it has to be turned off for them.. ...

TL's Get Some Kind Of Incentive ?
Jun 01, 2012

Does anybody at Nuance know if the TL's get some kind of incentive or something when they keep their accounts in TAT? ...

If You All Could Be So Kind As To Help Me Figure Out
Nov 13, 2012

I have not been with this company a full year and I know that changing my status before 6 months will affect my hire-on bonus, but how would I go about changing from full-time to part-time?  Do I tell them this is what I want to do or do I ask my TSM?  Any help you all could offer would be great!  ...

What Kind Of Keyboard Are You All Using
May 10, 2013

I have been thinking lately about my keyboard and mouse.  What kind of keyboards are you all using.  I use the basic Microsoft Comfort Curve keyboard but considering looking for something different.  ...

What Kind Of Employee
Aug 12, 2013

I started a job and was told I was an employee but they hold out no state or federal taxes - am I really an employee or is that statutory? ...

Some Kind Of Lens
Feb 04, 2015

States patient has glaucoma.  "He wears citrus lenses which do help him some."     She is very clearly stating citrus or sitris.  I cannot find anything about this.  Anyone have any ideas?      Thanks!! ...

There Is A New Kind Of Drain Out There
Feb 06, 2015

NOT.... Dictated: required her placement onto midodrine ASR: required her placmeent on tomato drain. Folks, you can't make this stuff up ...