A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Change from company-provided computer to own computer - ANOM

Posted: Aug 04, 2011

I am in the process of transitioning jobs and will be going from a company-provided computer to my own.  Any suggestions on what software programs are needed, virus protection, word expanders, line counting, and hardware like foot pedal?  The hospital I am looking into will be using Microsoft Word.  Any comments on whether this is a good program or not to transcribe on?  Any tips?  I have been with the same company for 15 years, so have been out of the loop and need all the help I can get. 

transitioning to your own computer - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
Most often, the employer provides software so I'd not make any purchases at this point in time. Also, Word has autocorrect which is easy to use to add your shortcuts to, so again, no $$ invested.

All of these questions should be answered by the hospital hiring you. As an employee, you could expect them to provide you with a foot pedal and any other special hardware (other than your computer, although as an employee, you could request that too).

I wouldn't make any major changes to your PC until you fully understand what their needs are and what they will or will not be providing.

If they do not provide a medical spellcheck, I'd encourage you to get one.

Good luck!

Why are you yelling? - Turn off your caps lock

[ In Reply To ..]
No one likes to be yelled at. It's annoying.

Who's yelling? nm - wannie

[ In Reply To ..]
x

The post was originally in all caps. - The OP went back and changed it

[ In Reply To ..]
after it was pointed out to her that all caps is yelling in cyberspace.
Question - Vinnie
[ In Reply To ..]
Haven't you got anything better to do than post messages about posters typing in all caps? It certainly doesn't hurt anyone's ears if they do!
It makes it harder to read. We stare at a screen all day; this board should not - make being here a chore. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Oh, GOOD LORD - nana2
[ In Reply To ..]
Now I think I've heard just about the most ridiculous thing ever!!!! Get over yourself!!
nana2 - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm with you! Why on earth do people need to shout at each other in caps? Has nobody heard of netiquette? Geez Louise.
Sure, just maybe not walk up to someone at a party - and start out by saying, "Stop talking so loud"?
[ In Reply To ..]
It would seem quite impolite, even if the person was talking louder than necessary.
especially - mt2
[ In Reply To ..]
when I don't think the OP was trying to be offensive. There's a nice way to point out that someone has made an error and I think bashing them over the head with a demand is certainly not the right way. The woman merely wanted to ask a couple of questions (and when it was pointed out by me that she had created a faux pas she quickly corrected it).

If ya feel better bashing someone because they "shouted" to your eyes, well then let's hope that's the biggest problem you ever have.

Change from company-provided computer to own computer - ANOM - bconnor1959

[ In Reply To ..]
I just went through the same thing. Only difference is that I had worked on my own equipment with a previous company. The company I am working for now has required the following: MS Word 2009 (MS Office 2009), IE 8.0, high speed internet, 256 bit, and Windows XP (I would not recommend Vista), AAMT BOS, and several references (electronic or book)I prefer electronic since it is easier and quicker to access. I also have Instant Text as my word expander program (we are allowed to use anyone we want), foot pedal, Headphones, virus protection. They supply the dictionary and load the program to be used for dictation, and their own line counting program. I will start training this afternoon. Technical support with the company will usually contact you before training to load their software onto your computer. Not sure if I missed anything but this will give you some idea as to where you need to start. Of course, every company will have their own specifications as to what is needed. I have found that the above equipment is pretty standard. Good Luck!

Similar Messages:

Company Provided Computer Other Than MM And Nuance? Precyse Not Hiring Now.
Jul 18, 2014

Nuance not paying me enough to afford my own computer.   ...

Medquist Provided Computer?
Jan 16, 2010

Does Medquist still provide a computer to transcriptionists.  If so, is there a rental fee or deposit fee?  Also,  is this only for full-time or also for part-time?  Thanks! ...

Webmedx - Company Computer Versus Own Computer?
Feb 04, 2010

I read that Medmedx supplies computers but you can only have Cable or DSL connection.   I live in an area where I cannot get cable or DSL.  I have a wireless connection.   My question is, do they allow you to use our own computers?   Thanks for your time and have a great day? ...

I Have A Shorthand Icon On My MModal Provided Computer Desktop...
Apr 01, 2013

It says it is a trail version though.  Did everyone pay for their own word expander or did MModal provide it?  I'm wondering why they put Shorthand on desktop and then we have to pay for it.  ...

New Computer, How To Change Sounds?
Dec 22, 2011

Anyone know how to change the sounds on windows 7?  I got a new computer from MQ, set it up.  In DQS, whenever I highlight a section of text and delete it it "dings."  It is driving me crazy!!  Anyone know how to change this? Thanks. ...

Own Personal Computer Versus MQ Supplied Computer?
Jul 18, 2011

The reason I ask this question is for my internet I have a USB modem.  Do the computers supplied by Q have any extra USB ports so I can plug my Verizon in there? Thanks! ...

Company Computer
Jun 03, 2014

I currently have a company-issued computer and when hired I think I signed the boiler plate agreement not to add any programs.  I really want to load my Instant Text so I do not have to rebuild everything.  I am not tech saavy so was wondering if the company can tell if I actually put anything on the computer?  I know they can go into my computer if I use a program that allows them to get into my machine and make adjustments but not sure if they can monitor it in any other way?  Thanks for a ...

Returning Company Computer
Sep 04, 2013

Has anybody involved in the terminations from last month received pickup labels or boxes to return company computer yet? ...

Keeping Company Computer?
Jan 15, 2014

I gave notice last week. I hate everything about this company EXCEPT I love their computer and monitor. Does anyone know if keeping it rather than returning it is an option?...and if so, if they ask a ridiculous amount of $$ to do so? ...

Buying Out A Company Computer?
Dec 04, 2014

I currently have a company-provided computer that I work from (Webmedx). I think I remember somewhere a long time ago that I can have the option of buying the computer if I leave the company. Does anyone know any info on this? If I quit Nuance, can I buy this computer from them? I don't have another one. TIA! ...

Are There Any Companies Left That Still Provide A Company Computer For Employees? Sm
Oct 07, 2012

I'm just talking about employees here, not ICs.  It amazes me that as a company employee, we would not be provided the most important tool we need to work with all set up to company specs, loaded with company s/w.  If we worked on site, would we be expected to bring in our own computers?  I don't think so. Thanks. ...

Acct Going To Escription, Nuance Won't Upgrade Company Sypplied Computer- Sm
Apr 30, 2013

Nuance says they will make a $300 loan toward purchase of a personal computer to work on te account, paid in 26 installments. I know a decent computer that has their specifications will cost more than that. What to do?  I'm on Dictaphone now. ...

For Those Of You With Computers Provided By Your Company SM
Nov 02, 2009

Hi there - i work for a hospital but we were sent home to type 1 year ago. Now my Norton's antivirus is up I was just told by the director of our department that I have to pay for the subscription myself ($45!) and then be reimbursed by the hospital....is this the way it is done?  Seems to me it is a little iffy - just wanted some opinions....thanks! ...

Antivirus Provided By Company
Oct 10, 2014

Does anyone know if iMedX installs tracking software under the guise of an antivirus program on employees personal computers when hired?  ...

If A Company Has Provided You With Equipment, When You Quit, Sm
Oct 27, 2014

do they hold your final check until they receive the equipment? My payday is supposed to be Friday and they were supposed to send me the tags to send back the equipment, but I have not received them yet, and I am thinking I will maybe not be paid on Friday if they have not received the equipment. TIA ...

Need New Computer
Dec 26, 2009

I need a new computer however I need to have XP for EXText.  Wondering which way I should go--- Dual boot or have 2 separate hard drives, one for XP and the other for Windows 7 Professional?  Any advice? ...

Mq Computer
May 10, 2010

I leave my computer up and running all the time.  In the past week every morning I am having to reboot because I get an error saying "insufficient system resources to perform this action."  As soon as it finally reboots, then everything is fine, I can log onto DQS and type all day with no problems.  Then it sits again all night, and the same thing happens the next morning. Does anyone know what the problem might be?  Tech support has already increased the virtual memory capa ...

How Many Of You Use Your MQ Computer...
May 17, 2010

for other things besides work such as another job, internet shopping, banking, facebook, etc.? ...

Help - New Computer
Aug 19, 2010

I got a new computer today and when my first job comes up the ADT info is at the top of the page.  Can you tell me how to get it off.  Also how to I make the print on my screen larger?  TIA ...

Computer Age VS 6.1
Sep 10, 2010

I was just wondering how old some computers are that are having problems with 6.1 and if there are people with newer computers that handles it better.  Mine is a MQ computer that is 4 years old now and it bogs down quite a bit.  Everything is sluggish now.  I do have 1 GB of ram and 1.84 GHz, so 6.1 shouldn't take a toll on it as bad as it is.  I'm just wondering if I should ask the Q for an upgrade, if that is the problem.  Knowing the RAM and proces ...

Help MQ Computer
Sep 16, 2010

Need help! I don't use an MQ computer, since they don't want you to put anything personal on it, and most of my life, including banking, is on my computer.   My 4-year-old computer crashed and is in the shop for a couple days, and I decided maybe it's time to get a new one.  The problem is, DQS requires a 32-bit system, and so far all the new computers I've found are all Windows 7, which is 64 bits.   I also want to get a slimline, since it kills my ...

Is It Just My Computer?
Sep 20, 2010

I turned off the "check as you go" spelling feature to get rid of that distracting wiggly red line.  When I upload a document, and a mis-spelling is picked up, what's with all the lame suggestions.  I mean either there just aren't any suggestions at all for a simple mis-spelled word with a single wrong letter, or just a simple word.  What happened to the old Q dictionary?  It seems every 5 years their dictionary gets worse.  When I started 10 years ag ...

Using MQ Computer
Dec 01, 2010

I am looking at quitting MQ, and I'm using their computer...do you think they'll let me buy the computer from them????  I can't imagine it's cheap to mail it back to them, and will need a computer for my new job. ...

Computer Needs
Jun 06, 2011

Does anyone use a Mac for medical transcription with Windows XP and MT software that requires nothing newer than XP?  Also any experience with Windows XP and Medrite XL on a newer computer using Windows 7 and virtual xp?  Needing advice before replacing my old computer, which I'm afraid might give out.   I would just load XP but supposedly will be transferring to software compatible with Windows 7 sometime in the future.   Any ideas appreciated.    ...

Lap Top Computer
Oct 03, 2011

Does anyone transcribe on a laptop computer and take your work with you when you travel? ...

New Computer From Q
Oct 20, 2011

came by FedEx today.  Had no idea they were sending this.  I quit or decided not to go with them from AT yesterday.  Would think they would let me know they were sending a new computer.  What a joke, glad I am not staying.  Think they got so big they have no idea what's going on. ...

Need A New Computer
Nov 12, 2011

is there any kind of computer i should NOT consider getting to work for medquist?  i think i heard they aren't compatible with MACs, but as far as PCs go....does Windows 7 work?  Vista?  XP?  all of the above?   just want to know what to avoid. thanks!       ...

Got New MQ Computer And
Nov 20, 2011

How do I change the color on DocQscribe from that blinding bright background to nice soft gray? I have no clue how on this machine and my eyes get too sore with the white. Also, how do I turn off all sounds, if anyone knows.   Thanks in advance. ...

New MQ Computer
Nov 21, 2011

Got my new computer. Got my flash drive. Want to transfer my favorites, my documents to the new computer.  I got the favorites transferred, but can't get the documents. Went to My Documents, Properties, Move to, but according to some instructions I read, it's supposed to ask you are you sure you want to move? or something like that. I never got that question and can't get them moved. Really technically challenged. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I really need so ...

When I Buy A New Computer, Which Should I Be
Dec 05, 2011

Right now I'm working from a 32-bit.  Which do most transcription platforms support?  ...