A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What kind of computer do you like best? - Kt

Posted: Aug 20, 2011

I am looking at computers (tiger direct) and dont know which kind to get for transcription.  Can you tell me any brands that you really like or to stay away from?

The best computer - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
The best computer is one custom-built to suit your needs. I hired a computer engineer to custom-build me one. It was not that much more expensive than the ones in the stores and it is so much better and faster. You might get some bids and see if this would work for you.

How do you get bids? - Kt

[ In Reply To ..]
How did you get bids on how much it would cost? I'm not real sure about what I need either for transcription except XP and maybe 1 gb memory.

Check your local computer repair shops - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
Usually they also will have a sales division where they will build you a computer. There's one by me has built some for some people I know and really given them a screaming deal. Be up front with what you are going to use it for and don't be afraid to ask questions about anything and everything. I've found most computer geeks love to talk computers and explain things to people.

Tiger Direct is pretty good, but sometimes I worry about the "off lease" computers, primarily because of their ages. You might also check places like Best Buy. I know I've seen some factory reconditioned models on their website that were really reasonable. The only problem with those is they come with Windows 7 and so you would have to get XP loaded on to it, but that's not hard to do.

How I got bids - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I knew what I wanted/needed, and I called the best computer engineer in our city, and asked him to give me a bid to design and build it. And you need way more than 1 gb. My word, it is 2011 and my next computer he builds will have a terabyte! Seriously.
she was talking 1 gig for memory, not storage - Happy MT Robin
[ In Reply To ..]
It's still not enough, because most computers these days are coming with 4 gb of DDRAM or SDRAM, and most new programs require at least 2, but that's memory. The terabyte you're referring to is storage.
Happy MT Robin - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, you're right. And it's good to see you back on the board. I was worried that you had forsaken MT for something else. Glad you haven't.:)
Thanks, Old Pro - Happy MT Robin
[ In Reply To ..]
I appreciate the kind words from you and others as well. I haven't given up on MT yet and don't plan to. I am going to try my best to ride out the changes coming in the industry and see if I can go along with them. Only time will tell if that is possible or not. I had a rocky year starting in May of last year with a disastrous decision to go to work for one of the big Nationals and came close to losing my house, but have found a smaller company that values its workers and pays decently for VR, so life is looking up.

I've always enjoyed your posts. You speak from experience but never talk down to anyone. I hope you continue to post once you are officially retired.
1 gig memory - Kt
[ In Reply To ..]
Could you ladies tell me what would be a good computer, memory, ram, processor in your opinion? I need to buy one like tomorrow and there are some computer stores here where I live, I might be able to go in and ask how much they would charge me, I'm just not exactly sure what I need of anything. I thought 1 gig of Ram would be enough because I'm not techy at all. Thanks I appreciate your help. :)
some suggestions - Happy MT Robin
[ In Reply To ..]
I know just enough to be dangerous, so you'll have to read around some more as well.

1 gig of RAM/memory is okay, but it's on the low end of the scale these days. Decent computers are coming with at least 2 and personally I'd go for 4 at a minimum. In a very simplistic sense, the RAM is what runs your programs that you see on the monitor. The more memory you have available, the more room you have for more and/or bigger programs.

As far as storage, 500 gig of memory is a minimum of what I'd accept and I'm eyeing a computer that has a terabyte (500 x 2) of memory - but I have a lot of video downloads, etc., that take up an enormous amount of storage space. You can find good deals for 500 and 750 g of storage if you don't need to store a lot of volume type stuff.

As far as a processor, a lot of the computers are coming with AMD processors which is a competitor to Intel, but I've heard they're not as good as they used to be, so I'd stick with Intel - a lot of that has to do with personal preference, though. As far as processor speed, you want a minimum of 2 GHz, but I think most of them now are coming in the 3 range or slightly higher.

I've had several Dell computers in the past that I've never had problems with. My brother is a HUGE Apple fan, and so he would highly recommend a MAC, but those are more expensive and would have a slight learning curve if you've never used one, plus you'd have to make sure your platform is compatible.

Hewlett Packard is also pretty good, but I just read that they are getting rid of their computer branch - not sure on the timing on that - so there's a chance that at some point if the computer lasts long enough you would have a tough time servicing it, but that's pretty far in the future I would think.

Gateway is a brand that's come along. I've never had one personally, but I've heard good things about them from people that I have worked with who have them.

Just as a cost comparison, I'm looking at BestBuy.com and in their "tower only" section (assuming you don't need or want to replace your monitor and keyboard, etc.) they have a Gateway with 4 GB of memory, 1 TB of storage, and an Intel 3.1 GHz processor for $399.00, which as far as I can tell is a pretty screaming deal.

Look at Bestbuy's site, look at Dell.com, CompUSA.com (which is only mail order now, I think) and you'll get some good ideas of what is out there on the market so when you go to someone locally you'll have some comparisons.

Good luck and have fun!!

Agree - xxx

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with this 100%. I have done this twice and have been very happy with my computers. Do you have a good tech person? They might be able to do it for you.

what you want versus what you need - hmmm

[ In Reply To ..]
The best advice I can give is to look at all help wanted ads and compare what operating systems are most commonly compatible. I am one of those who have purchased name brand (Dell) and have built my own locally. It used to be that you should buy this type of processor versus the other. I am personally loyal to Pentium and cannot be disswayed from having it in dual-core. But that is just me. I currently run a Vista environment with an XP backup, but I have off-big-boy-platform needs. My needs are not platform driven; they are broser driven. I can't help but advise someone to keep an XP system available for a worst case scenaro reality.

I would encourage you to look at the big picture to decide on your personal needs other than adding that the importance of a really good sound card is of more value than you can imagine (for obvious reasons). How much data can be stored is an individual choice. How much data can be handled simultaneously is always important, but not worth squat if your OS is not compatible with your platform.

Windows 7 Pro with XP mode - kklear66

[ In Reply To ..]
I use an HP computer with Windows 7 Professional with XP mode. You can run either Windows 7 or XP. It is awesome!

I was just looking at that - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
I am probably going to have to replace my old work horse by the end of the year, but I still use Word and Smartype to cut and paste into Bayscribe for my PT job and I really, really, really don't want to change that. Old dog not liking new tricks.

Do you notice any difference in how programs run or is there a difference in the screen at all? The description I was looking at on Microsoft's website seemed to say that it ran in a separate window that looked like it could be distracting. Can you have several windows or tabs open while you run the virtual XP?

Thanks for any info you can give me. I'm going to either do something like that or just buy a new one and reload XP on it.

sound card - kt

[ In Reply To ..]
You know, I never thought about the sound card, that sounds like great advice, get a good sound card! That makes sense! Thanks

computer - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I haven't found it to matter, and if you are still using XP you can get a computer as cheap as 80.00. If you want to know where, send me an email.

Thanks everyone, I just ordered one on ebay close to home - KT

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for all of you who helped me on this issue. I just found someone on ebay who sells and there was a phone number, so I called and the gentleman is going to have one ready tomorrow and ship it to me. We discussed what I need and I think I've got it now.

Similar Messages:

Just Kind Of Surprised With MTs And "computer Issues"
Oct 08, 2012

I am really surprised at the number of MTs who have been on recently asking about which companies provide computers.  The advantage to having a company-provided computer is that if something happens to said computer, then the company has to provide technical support or provide you with a replacement computer.  Precyse, the last I knew, sends out a Netbook computer, so you still need a monitor, etc and there is no way that you can load your "own programs" or even be able to access the i ...

Webmedx - Company Computer Versus Own Computer?
Feb 04, 2010

I read that Medmedx supplies computers but you can only have Cable or DSL connection.   I live in an area where I cannot get cable or DSL.  I have a wireless connection.   My question is, do they allow you to use our own computers?   Thanks for your time and have a great day? ...

Own Personal Computer Versus MQ Supplied Computer?
Jul 18, 2011

The reason I ask this question is for my internet I have a USB modem.  Do the computers supplied by Q have any extra USB ports so I can plug my Verizon in there? Thanks! ...

Change From Company-provided Computer To Own Computer
Aug 04, 2011

I am in the process of transitioning jobs and will be going from a company-provided computer to my own.  Any suggestions on what software programs are needed, virus protection, word expanders, line counting, and hardware like foot pedal?  The hospital I am looking into will be using Microsoft Word.  Any comments on whether this is a good program or not to transcribe on?  Any tips?  I have been with the same company for 15 years, so have been out of the loop and need ...

Here's A Different Kind Of Job
Nov 17, 2012

write test questions http://www.geiswriters.com/ ...

Be Kind To Your TSM Day.
Dec 04, 2014

Seriously - they are being dragged through this with us. They need their jobs just like we do. I am sure they don't like it and their kool-laid pitchers are empty but they have to play the game. Let's just don't shoot the messenger - they are just trying to survive just like us. They don't like it anymore than we do but can't say it. :) ...

What Kind Of Clamp?
Jan 28, 2010

The uterus was clamped at the adnexa with a large _______ clamp. I really can't tell what it's saying...MAYBE "angled Z clamp", but I don't really know. It is a hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy. What are my choices?  ...

What Kind Of Brainiac
Jun 01, 2010

puts a stutterer on ASR? ...

Some Kind Of Biopsy
Jan 04, 2011

She also is status post sigmoid loop colostomy in 2007 with _____ biopsy.  Sounds like the doc is saying ped-rectal biopsy.  Can't find it anywhere.  Any ideas? ...

What Kind Of Imaging?
Jan 12, 2011

Hello! :) I am trying to transcribe a radiology report and the Dr. said something that sounds like "flare imaging." Is there such a thing as flare imaging? This is the sentence: ..."increased signal on (flare) imaging, larger on the left than on the right."  Appreciate any insight! ~Lotte ...

Not Funny, But It Kind Of Is.
Dec 09, 2011

Googled homeless shelters in my area to see if I could volunteer.  What do you think pops up beside the information?  "Become a medical transcriptionist at your own pace."  It should say "Become a medical transcriptionist and you may need a homeless shelter". ...

Use A Laptop For MT? What Kind Do You Have?
Feb 03, 2012

I've been perusing laptops on Amazon.  Never had one before, so don't know that much about them.  If you were going to use one for one week out of each month to transcribe on, which one would you buy?  Or, if you already use one, what kind did you buy and why?  How many USB ports does it have?  How much memory?  Screen size?   Headphone jack?  Sound quality?   How long do you work on it per day?   Pros & cons?  ...

Try This,,,Now That Im Kind Of Comfy With ASR
Mar 21, 2012

Now that I am settled in on the ASR, not saying I like it or prefer it..I did turn the music back on...I used to do it all the time when I was on straight typing..If you can find the right music, like I play stuff that I really really know well, so I hear it but I dont hear it, know what I mean...but the rhythm seems to keep me moving well..Granted some of the dictators are impossible and it has to be turned off for them.. ...

TL's Get Some Kind Of Incentive ?
Jun 01, 2012

Does anybody at Nuance know if the TL's get some kind of incentive or something when they keep their accounts in TAT? ...

If You All Could Be So Kind As To Help Me Figure Out
Nov 13, 2012

I have not been with this company a full year and I know that changing my status before 6 months will affect my hire-on bonus, but how would I go about changing from full-time to part-time?  Do I tell them this is what I want to do or do I ask my TSM?  Any help you all could offer would be great!  ...

What Kind Of Keyboard Are You All Using
May 10, 2013

I have been thinking lately about my keyboard and mouse.  What kind of keyboards are you all using.  I use the basic Microsoft Comfort Curve keyboard but considering looking for something different.  ...

What Kind Of Employee
Aug 12, 2013

I started a job and was told I was an employee but they hold out no state or federal taxes - am I really an employee or is that statutory? ...

Some Kind Of Lens
Feb 04, 2015

States patient has glaucoma.  "He wears citrus lenses which do help him some."     She is very clearly stating citrus or sitris.  I cannot find anything about this.  Anyone have any ideas?      Thanks!! ...

There Is A New Kind Of Drain Out There
Feb 06, 2015

NOT.... Dictated: required her placement onto midodrine ASR: required her placmeent on tomato drain. Folks, you can't make this stuff up ...

What Kind Of Questions Are These
Apr 24, 2015

DH had an interview last week.  The 2 execs at the company was really excited, told him it's a great time to have applied, they have multiple openings and were excited about his background (he was well qualified for the job, having done it in the past).  This week he had a "group interview".  All women.  The questions he was asked was.... 1.  What do you do in your spare time for fun. 2.  What kind of music do you like 3.  How do you feel about working ...

Headphones - What Kind Do You Use & Recommend?
Mar 25, 2010

I was just wondering what kind of headphones you guys use and recommend?   Thanks! ...

NJA -- Just Kind Of Puts A Funk On The Whole Day.
Sep 29, 2010

Maybe I should just sign off and take a much-needed mental health day.  ...

Rheumatology Lab That Kind Of S/l Vitamin D?
Oct 08, 2010

Does anyone know of a rheumatology lab that kind of s/l vitamin D?  She is listing all of the rheumatology labs that she is going to be drawing, CBC, CMP, ESR, CRP, ANA direct, SSA/SSB, RF, anti-CCP, ACE, Lyme, TSH, muscle enzymes, s/l vitamin D.  I couldn't find anything online b/c she could be saying just about anything...she is saying the word while exhaling into the mic. ...

What Kind Of Topical Solution???
Dec 15, 2010

The patient is going in for a myringotomy and he is to be treated with something that sounds like "bonean" topical solution.  Any idea what this might be?  ...

What Do You Do With This Kind Of Sentence? Need Answers Soon Please!
Jan 18, 2011

When Dr. dictates a sentence in the middle of a paragraph that goes like this: Eyes normal vision. Cardiac no carotid bruits. Cardiac regular rate and rhthym. Ears normal hearing. Do you just add a colon after the first word? Sometimes that looks odd, so I am not always sure what to do. Any ideas/help appreciated, tia. ...

Kind Of Intesting With Medquist
May 23, 2011

just got off the phone with a person at the Q who should know questions about the acounts, right, and so I ask her if a heading should be social history (I'm old school) or just social.  I can't find the answer in BOS or client profile.  She says well, probably put what they dictate.  She says, I don't really know.  In other words, she did not give me a definite answer.    I say, what if that gets corrected and we are now at 99%, that gets me fir ...

Favorite Kind Of Earphones?
Aug 01, 2011

Does anyone have a favorite kind of earphones? I need something to better filter out all my white noise/static. ...

I Have No Idea What Kind Of Math They Are Using
Dec 14, 2011

In any case, I've been ignoring it.  You can double check your pay by taking the amount of money in the Current column and dividing that by the number of lines in the Piece Units column.    It may be a little bit more if you work nights and get the shift differential as it seems that they add that on.  It would be nice if they would show that in a seperate row like they did before Ultipro ...

Look At This - Love The Head Set, Tho Not The Kind We Use In This
Oct 09, 2012

. ...

What Kind Of Headphones Are Really Good
May 24, 2013

Just wondering what kind of headphones are really good.  I am using Dictaphone headphone and I love them but they are about to die on me.  I have tried others in the past and the sound quality isn't that great.  Any suggestions would be appreciated. ...