A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Use a laptop for MT? What kind do you have? - Or would you buy? - Cant Retire Yet

Posted: Feb 03, 2012

I've been perusing laptops on Amazon.  Never had one before, so don't know that much about them.  If you were going to use one for one week out of each month to transcribe on, which one would you buy?  Or, if you already use one, what kind did you buy and why? 

How many USB ports does it have?  How much memory?  Screen size?   Headphone jack?  Sound quality?   How long do you work on it per day?   Pros & cons? 

I would get one with a lot of USB ports - for sure

[ In Reply To ..]
When I used my laptop, I had to plug in my regular keyboard as the one on the laptop was too small. I only had two USB ports, and bought a hub to give me 4 extra, however, the foot pedal would go in and out then, dont know why. I also am not happy with my screen size as it was too small. I also am very tall, and would have to stack encyclopedias up and then put the laptop on it to get the screen up where I needed it for my neck to feel comfortable.

Thanks for the input! Maybe I should also look into - just getting a regular desktop - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
processor set up for work, and just leaving it parked at my mom's house. Still, I like the portability of a laptop, but I DO need lots and lots of ports! Decisions, decisions!

I should probably talk to my employer about that, as well - see what they say.

Thanks again for filling me in on your experiences with the laptop!

laptop - I use one every day

[ In Reply To ..]
I bought a 17 inch HP has 4 USB, one for my wireless mouse as I don't like the touch pad, one for my footpedal, and have one left over. I use the keyboard on the laptop, took a while to get use to as I used to have the next smaller laptop, but you could plug an external keyboard, so would need another USB.

I was only going to work on the laptop when I was gone, but I also do some dogsitting on the side and they like to sit near me, so I do sit on the couch and use the laptop more than I thought, and is hard to go back to a desktop now. But sitting on the couch can get a little uncomfortable, maybe you have a nice easy chair or something.

I was able to get my laptop for about $750 after the setup fees with my computer shop, but I have alway thought getting a 17 inch HP or Dell off QVC or HSN would have been better.

I have really no problem with my laptop at all, you can get the font to a reall nice size, so it is easy to see. I used to have a smaller screened laptop as I was gone in the winter in 2006 and 2007 for 3 months at a time working in the sunshine of a rental I was able to afford back then, better than in the nice long winter in Minnesota, but can't afford to do that anymore. And the laptop came in handy then and it worked well.

Get the biggest size you can afford, and believe me the price is half what I paid for my smaller one back 6 years ago. 17 inch really, really makes a difference.

Don't have any problem with the voice quality, I just have a cheaper headset from Radio Shack and I have no problem. Most of the laptops come with at least 3 USB ports, and you could get another add on device if you need more. Keyboard, wireless mouse, and foot pedal, what else would you need a USB port for? That's only 3 USBs.

Good luck. I really like my laptop for doing MT. Can't stand being in my comfortable highbacked computer chair sitting at a nice big computer desk anymore. Would rather have my dogs laying on the couch next to me anytime.

Your info is reassuring, because I changed my mind - again and plan to get a laptop!
[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Here's A Different Kind Of Job
Nov 17, 2012

write test questions http://www.geiswriters.com/ ...

Be Kind To Your TSM Day.
Dec 04, 2014

Seriously - they are being dragged through this with us. They need their jobs just like we do. I am sure they don't like it and their kool-laid pitchers are empty but they have to play the game. Let's just don't shoot the messenger - they are just trying to survive just like us. They don't like it anymore than we do but can't say it. :) ...

What Kind Of Clamp?
Jan 28, 2010

The uterus was clamped at the adnexa with a large _______ clamp. I really can't tell what it's saying...MAYBE "angled Z clamp", but I don't really know. It is a hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy. What are my choices?  ...

What Kind Of Brainiac
Jun 01, 2010

puts a stutterer on ASR? ...

Some Kind Of Biopsy
Jan 04, 2011

She also is status post sigmoid loop colostomy in 2007 with _____ biopsy.  Sounds like the doc is saying ped-rectal biopsy.  Can't find it anywhere.  Any ideas? ...

What Kind Of Imaging?
Jan 12, 2011

Hello! :) I am trying to transcribe a radiology report and the Dr. said something that sounds like "flare imaging." Is there such a thing as flare imaging? This is the sentence: ..."increased signal on (flare) imaging, larger on the left than on the right."  Appreciate any insight! ~Lotte ...

What Kind Of Computer Do You Like Best?
Aug 20, 2011

I am looking at computers (tiger direct) and dont know which kind to get for transcription.  Can you tell me any brands that you really like or to stay away from? ...

Not Funny, But It Kind Of Is.
Dec 09, 2011

Googled homeless shelters in my area to see if I could volunteer.  What do you think pops up beside the information?  "Become a medical transcriptionist at your own pace."  It should say "Become a medical transcriptionist and you may need a homeless shelter". ...

Try This,,,Now That Im Kind Of Comfy With ASR
Mar 21, 2012

Now that I am settled in on the ASR, not saying I like it or prefer it..I did turn the music back on...I used to do it all the time when I was on straight typing..If you can find the right music, like I play stuff that I really really know well, so I hear it but I dont hear it, know what I mean...but the rhythm seems to keep me moving well..Granted some of the dictators are impossible and it has to be turned off for them.. ...

TL's Get Some Kind Of Incentive ?
Jun 01, 2012

Does anybody at Nuance know if the TL's get some kind of incentive or something when they keep their accounts in TAT? ...

If You All Could Be So Kind As To Help Me Figure Out
Nov 13, 2012

I have not been with this company a full year and I know that changing my status before 6 months will affect my hire-on bonus, but how would I go about changing from full-time to part-time?  Do I tell them this is what I want to do or do I ask my TSM?  Any help you all could offer would be great!  ...

What Kind Of Keyboard Are You All Using
May 10, 2013

I have been thinking lately about my keyboard and mouse.  What kind of keyboards are you all using.  I use the basic Microsoft Comfort Curve keyboard but considering looking for something different.  ...

What Kind Of Employee
Aug 12, 2013

I started a job and was told I was an employee but they hold out no state or federal taxes - am I really an employee or is that statutory? ...

Some Kind Of Lens
Feb 04, 2015

States patient has glaucoma.  "He wears citrus lenses which do help him some."     She is very clearly stating citrus or sitris.  I cannot find anything about this.  Anyone have any ideas?      Thanks!! ...

There Is A New Kind Of Drain Out There
Feb 06, 2015

NOT.... Dictated: required her placement onto midodrine ASR: required her placmeent on tomato drain. Folks, you can't make this stuff up ...

What Kind Of Questions Are These
Apr 24, 2015

DH had an interview last week.  The 2 execs at the company was really excited, told him it's a great time to have applied, they have multiple openings and were excited about his background (he was well qualified for the job, having done it in the past).  This week he had a "group interview".  All women.  The questions he was asked was.... 1.  What do you do in your spare time for fun. 2.  What kind of music do you like 3.  How do you feel about working ...

New HP Laptop
Dec 31, 2009

Okay, I should have checked all this out before I bought a new computer, I know.  But I didn't and now I am paying for it. My company's software is not compatible with Windows 7 and that's what my new computer installed on it.  I have learned that I can take it to a local repair store and have the XP installed on it and the Word 2003, but then I found out from my employer's IT guy that a 64-bit computer is also not compatible.  Geesh!  Anything else I sho ...

Laptop Help
Jul 28, 2011

After being driven out of my house to a motel for 5 days last week due to the heat (94 degrees even with a small a/c, I think the time is here to get a laptop.  I discovered the motel does have internet access.  It's supposed to be 100 tomorrow. I need suggestions in choosing.  Since I have to have Windows XP, I'm limited to getting a refurb online.  There are lots out there, but mostly Dells, with widely varying models and prices.  I know I want something wit ...

Laptop MT?
Oct 31, 2011

I am sure I could use a laptop just as well as I could use a desktop.  I would like to travel more before things start getting really bad in America.  Plus I would like to visit family more often.  I was wondering if anyone out there works off of a laptop and how they liked it.  I was thinking I would get an external mouse and connect my keyboard so I can make production better.  Any ideas or suggestions?  I have to buy a new computer and I am debating whether I cou ...

Anyone Use A Laptop With A 10-key Pad?
Feb 07, 2012

My Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop died today so I need a replacement ASAP.  I'm writing this on my son's Toshiba Satellite, which has a 10-key pad that my Dell does not.  Is anyone using a laptop w/a 10-key pad?  Would you recommend it?  Thanks in advance. ...

Using Laptop
Sep 29, 2012

I know this is a dumb question, but can mmodal employees use a laptop instead of a regular puter? ...

Does Anyone Use A Laptop For Their Job?
Jan 29, 2013

Just wondering if anyone uses a laptop to do their transcription, or if most people just use a desk top computer. ...

Laptop?
Apr 17, 2013

Duh. ...

What Laptop Do You Use?
Aug 21, 2013

I am thinking of leaving the comfort of my PC and switching to a laptop so I can do a little traveling.  Any tips or suggestions on specs? ...

Need A New Laptop
Oct 04, 2014

Hi, I am looking for recommendations on a  laptop.  It will be a gift (not from my husband) but from a relative.  I would like one with word processing but I am happy to download open office.  I will mainly use the laptop for internet and I would like to get a wireless printer at some time.  I know there is a Google type of laptop where nothing is actually stored.  Some folks say it is better to get a regular laptop.  I wouldn't be opposed to getting a re ...

Laptop
Feb 14, 2015

Does anybody transcribe from a laptop?  Thinking about trying that.     ...

Headphones - What Kind Do You Use & Recommend?
Mar 25, 2010

I was just wondering what kind of headphones you guys use and recommend?   Thanks! ...

NJA -- Just Kind Of Puts A Funk On The Whole Day.
Sep 29, 2010

Maybe I should just sign off and take a much-needed mental health day.  ...

Rheumatology Lab That Kind Of S/l Vitamin D?
Oct 08, 2010

Does anyone know of a rheumatology lab that kind of s/l vitamin D?  She is listing all of the rheumatology labs that she is going to be drawing, CBC, CMP, ESR, CRP, ANA direct, SSA/SSB, RF, anti-CCP, ACE, Lyme, TSH, muscle enzymes, s/l vitamin D.  I couldn't find anything online b/c she could be saying just about anything...she is saying the word while exhaling into the mic. ...

What Kind Of Topical Solution???
Dec 15, 2010

The patient is going in for a myringotomy and he is to be treated with something that sounds like "bonean" topical solution.  Any idea what this might be?  ...