A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I'm out of the MT market... I filed for Social Security today - Goodbye, Sweet Dreams

Posted: Nov 02, 2009

I have grown tired of looking for a job, and it just so happens I turn 62 next month, so I'm out of the MT market.  Goodbye to you MTSOs who play games with hard working people trying to put food on the table.  It's gonna catch up with you and as they say, "Jimmy Crack Corn and....." 

I pray you MTs who are younger will find jobs or get out of this dying field.  It has really changed in the last 15 years, but radically changed in the last 2.  Goodbye.  It feels like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders already.

Congrats on your retirement... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I can say that I am still going strong and making twice as much. Maybe things have changed for the better in my experience.

I came from a hospital setting making an hourly wage but as an IC I am making two-fold!

Lovin' MT! Congrats to you!

Congrats! - MT17

[ In Reply To ..]
Congrats to you!! Also, thank you for the well wishes.

I took early SS too - Old and Tired MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I, too, loved doing MT for 30 years. However, the way these services have run it into the ground is beyond ridiculous. I was making less than minimum wage and working myself to death doing it. It got to the point where it just wasn't worth it any more.

Congrats... Wish you well. - envious

[ In Reply To ..]
I have 25 years to go before I can retire....

How am I going to make it that long?

Oh well, have a great retirement!

25 more years to go - Leaving MTing

[ In Reply To ..]
Have you considered finding another field. Why hang in there for another 25 years. Is it really worth it?

No early for me, still work and get SS also - Lynne

[ In Reply To ..]
I knew I wanted to continue to work and did not want SS taking any more money out if I had retired early. Glad I waited. I love that "free" money each month along with those paychecks. Hey, if others want to retire, more power to them.

Lynne, I didn't say I wasn't going to work anymore - I just said I was leaving MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I am like the responder above who was just tired and worn out by this profession. I plan on doing volunteer or part-time work, but not MT. The field is not the same anymore. We are all numbers and not people anymore. I choose rather to be somewhere, interacting with people. Good wishes to all. To the one who is only 25 years old, I would advise investing in college if possible or training in another field. This will not last.
Oops, just going along with the ones saying congrats - Lynne
[ In Reply To ..]
I do animal rescuing anytime I can, not for pay but just because they're there. I was off yesterday and today also and yesterday was just stay in my house all day long. I don't miss people. Hubs and I go out for dinner a couple of times a week, sometimes with my daughter and go when I like, good movie or theater but as far as wanting to be around others, nah, I like animals much better. I agree with you about the younger ones in this field. Time is on their side to go for a profession that will actually see you through.

SS - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm 60 and just starting to think about it, haven't researched SS yet. Sounds like you work AND collect SS? Is there a limit on how much you can collect and/or earn? TIA
To make unlimited money, you have to reach full retirement age - Lynne
[ In Reply To ..]
I can work any and all hours I want and get in any and all that I want because I reached full retirement. If you take retirement before your full retirement age I believe social security takes $1.00 for every $2.00 that you make or something to that extent. I just did not want any more money taken away from me so I waited and now draw a little more in social security and retirement check than with my salary each month, not too much difference.
Social Security said I could make $14,500 - in addition to drawing my SS check
[ In Reply To ..]
I think it sounds pretty good. I am going to be working part-time, wiping tables at Bojangles.
I have worked so many jobs so long that it really paid off - Lynne
[ In Reply To ..]
in the long run, much better than the average. All my work life I went as single, no dependents to have more taken out and really glad to finally draw back. I understand some like to retire early, me I just donĂ¢€™t care to retire. Good luck with the parttime gig.
To Lynne, I lost both my parents in the last 3 years - I was the caregiver who lived next door
[ In Reply To ..]
It has been a hard 3 years and I'm tired. I don't have much desire to use my brain like I did before. I have ordered a piano course and am teaching myself to play runs up and down the keyboard. Have always wanted to do that. I am fixing to put together a pipe organ in my living room with virtual Hauptwerk files. Will enjoy retirement and will probably wonder how I managed to work before. Love to all.
You are doing something I always wanted to try - Lynne
[ In Reply To ..]
and that was to play the organ. I think I would be able to pick up even at my age because I played the clarinet and used to be able to read music. If nothing else, soothing for the soul for me. Working as IC gives me the time I need to take off for vacations and the like, took several this year and just have no idea what I would do with all my time if retired. I do animal rescuing so Saturday this week also taking a day off and going to hopefully find animals their forever homes. The added income is nice, once I get over paying the big bills that seem to be hitting us now, property taxes, car insurance, new roof and the like, should be ok. I have been bad about my credit card and am now paying that down to the tune of $1000 per month. I just have to, have some health issues that I would like to get these paid off and not owning much of anything. Good luck with your retirement and keep us advised about how the pipe organ goes!
I'm sorry that doesn't make sense (sm) - Long time MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Your filing status for income taxes (single, married, head of household) and whether or not you claim dependents has NOTHING to do with how much you will ultimately draw out of SS at retirement. Filing status and dependents only has to with how much withholding tax is taken out of your paycheck. SS tax is a flat percentage, the same amount for everyone.
Ok, if that were the case then everyone on SS would - wind up with the same amount, yes?
[ In Reply To ..]
I went as single, had more taken out and now I receive from SS $1,942.00 per month. If SS is a flat percentage, why would not everyone get the same amount? From what you are saying everyone would get the same per check from SS each month and I know I don't. My aunt, for example, gets around $700 per month.
I stand corrected.....on social security earnings - Lynne
[ In Reply To ..]
My husband explained it to me tonight, no matter how much I had paid into SS, what I had earned during my time was what the final money amount came out to. Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part.
Social Security - Long time MT
[ In Reply To ..]
What I mean is that it's a flat percentage taken from your paycheck each month. The amount would be different for each person because each person earns a different income but it's a flat 7.65% unless you are self-employed. The 2009 contribution rate, also known as the FICA tax rate, is 7.65% for employees and 15.30% for self-employed people.

Farewell - INMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Have a wonderful time enjoying what should be the best time in your life and not worry whether there will be work tomorrow when you log on or not.

I too have just resigned,, took a job in a medical office here in town after 9 years of MT work.. Tired of excuses, unanswered IM and email, "sorry dont have any work, etc". I begin this new adventure this next week and look forward to getting out in the big world again and having actual people to see and talk with.

Enjoy and I wish you all the best.

I'm jealous! - barbv

[ In Reply To ..]
I turn 62 next September and plan to do the same thing! Wish it were now :) What do you plan to do for insurance? That's what I'm worried about. Best of luck to you!

Out - Tired MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Good for you! I wish I was 62!!!

Retirement - Kathy Stryk

[ In Reply To ..]
My scentiments exactly. I can take early retirement in February...and have already filed. This is ridiculous trying to live on what companies want to pay you...7 and 8 cents a line?? Who can live on that? Even 30 years ago when I began MT'ing I made 10 cents so what's up with this new rate anyway? Guess they know the "newbies" will settle for 7 cents (peanuts) but not the experienced MTs. We are smarter than that! Good luck to the rest of you.

Good luck to you too, Kathy - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Agree with sentiments exactly. No pay anymore for experience. The newbies can't get that expertise overnight. Let 'em work QA to death. I'm outta here.

Similar Messages:

Social Security Taxes
Jan 11, 2011

This is my first year to work solely as an IC.  I have been sending quarterly taxes in to the IRS using the form 1040 payment vouchers they supplied.  It has just occurred to me that I don't know if any of the money I am sending in is going to Social Security tax.  I am not sure how it is allocated.  I send in 25-30% of my earnings.  Can anyone with more knowledge about this help me understand?  Thanks so much!  ...

Anyone Who Has Applied For Social Security Or UE. Sm
Dec 27, 2012

Did you list Nuance as your employer or AlphaStaff or ADP? Confusing for me. Waiting for HR to reply, but I need to know soon.  It's like pulling teeth to get information from this company.  ...

Early Social Security
Jun 29, 2013

How do you go about getting early SS??  How early can you get it.  I am in my 50's so is that too early?  I remember my mom did that but she was older and she still worked 3 days a week and as long as she kept under a certain amount she was allowed to do both. ...

Social Security Death/Retirement Benefits
Jul 10, 2010

My aunt is 63, still working, uncle 66, still working PT but receiving full SS benefits.  He has recently been diagnosed with cancer.  If he dies, and my aunt keeps working (she is working for the medical insurance), will she receive his death benefit, and will it be the same amout.  She is worried about this, well in advance (we hope) and I just wanted to ease her mind a little.  Thank you. ...

Social Security And Progressive Part Time
May 23, 2013

Thinking of taking early SS and cutting hours so I would not make much more than the 15,000 you are allowed on SS.  That way I would still be eligible for insurance until I am old enough for Medicare. Has anyone else done this or know any pros and cons about that progressive part time thing?  TIA ...

Does Anyone Know If A Person Can Collect Social Security And Unemployment?
Jan 07, 2014

I have an email out to a friend with this question also.  She was laid off and had already applied for social security early.  Haven't heard back yet. ...

Social Security. HaHa! Tried To Apply-absolutely Frustrated
Dec 03, 2009

First, they took almost $300 off me back in the '90s because I didn't pay for a year.Does wages of $37 and payment of $2 to SS count? The following year, it shows no income. Okay, maybe I didn't work that year but I still had 40 credits then. Now, I tried to apply and they want my W2 for 2008 according to the online applications. SS called me today. They show no wages for me in 2005. Send a W2, but they do have 2008 and  i don't have to send that. They show les ...

Filing For Early Social Security/Working Part-time
Apr 07, 2012

Anyone here working part-time and receiving early Social Security benefits? I am considering doing this in the next year and wondering if anyone else is already doing so. Thoughts?  I've been working full-time since the age of 18 years and part-time before that, with only a 6-month period of time between jobs, but was collecting severance pay those 6 months. So, I really feel I deserve to get back some of the money I've put into Social Security over the last 4-1/2 d ...

Filed Bankruptcy Today
Feb 18, 2010

Gonna lose the car.  Thank God I work at home, but it still sucks.  ...

Such A Tight Job Market I'm....sm
Jan 31, 2010

I have applied to so many companies I can't remember them all and few got back to me, is this all that's left now?  ...

MT Market Research
Oct 15, 2013

Hey everyone, I'm doing some market research on transcription and was wondering if you might be able to give me some pointers? Firstly I'm trying to figure out who the biggest players are and I've come up with Nuance and M*Modal. These seem to be by far the biggest, but I've also found some smaller companies like Presyce, Superior Global Solutions, TransTech, Acusis and MedScribe - are there any others I'm missing? I'm also looking at the pricing these companies ...

In The Market For A New Computer
Jul 25, 2014

Don't know if I have the right board or not.  Anyway, I'm in the market for a new computer. I'm about ready to TOBAS (Take Out Back And Shoot) this one.  Do you prefer a laptop or a PC and why? ...

Anyone Out There Heard New Lowered Pay For MTs Is A Market Correction?
Sep 21, 2010

Pay has been cut by 25%, told we are lucky to have a job, that we have easy accounts,  and that our pay is a "market correction". That's encouragement from an employer! ...

MTSO's Shake Up Market For Outsourcing Transcription
Dec 09, 2009

http://www.24-7pressrelease.com/press-release/new-entrants-improving-players-shake-up-the-market-for-outsourced-transcription-128192.php This article explains some of the top MTSO companies and notice that the first 5 out of 15 companies handle onshore than offshoring.  Again, is onshore United States and offshore is places like India?  Anyway, should open up article and read it.  Very, very interesting!!!!  This is only some of the article below. Despite the increase in of ...

Any Info On Market Pro On Job Board? Unable To Find Anyting. TIA
Dec 08, 2009

nm ...

Security
Oct 22, 2012

I am looking into transcribing for a doctor from 1000 miles away.  I currently work in his office but will be moving.  He is concerned about the security of his files during transfer and also when they get on my computer...("How can I be sure my files are secure once they are on your computer?").  Does anyone have any recommendations/suggestions for this situation? Thanks everyone. ...

Example Of MT Job Security With SR
Dec 05, 2012

Dictated: "His story starts in Ohio." SR: "His story starts in high heels." ...

Has Anyone Filed For UE
Mar 19, 2013

Is it just me or is their website kind of a maze? They want to know what my eligibility benefit is, but how can I find that? ...

Has Anyone Ever Filed For
Jun 01, 2013

from doing editing work?   I have been doing this now for about 3 years, and recently after about 2 hours into my work days I have started getting shooting pains in my hands and arms.  I don't think it is CTS because the pains are only when I am actually keyboarding.   (Then again maybe it is psychosomatic because I hate this job so much! )  Thanks.   ...

Anyone Who Uses Your PC For MT Work, Do You Have A Security Program On It?
Jan 01, 2011

What I mean is,  if your company has any type of keystroke or time monitoring software on there. If you use your own computer for personal use and have banking records or other misc on there,  do you have a program that locks out the company software, only allowing them to monitor their own stuff and not yours?     Is there even such a program?    I need one.    Thanks. ...

Is Security The Real Concern?
Feb 17, 2011

How of HIPAA compliance yields profitable partnerships? I guess a lot of emphases given to HIPAA compliance is truly justified, especially in the case of outsourcing. The thrust on confidentiality and security of patient records grows manifold when it's done across 7 seas. ...

A Matter Of National Security?
Sep 28, 2012

With the nature of world affairs and US relations such as they are, I can't help but think how wrong it is for companies in general, but specifically MTSOs, to be sending highly sensitive information overseas the way they do. It scares me to think about my social security number, date of birth, address, etc. being handled by someone who doesn't necessarily feel the sense that they must protect that information. Maybe instead of complaining about how much work is being offshored, we s ...

I Give Up. Has Anyone Filed For UE
Mar 12, 2013

My TSM is RW. Just WONDERING if anyone else in her region has filed? TIA ...

Check With Your State's Unemployment Security
Oct 07, 2010

I just found out that by law, MQ was supposed to file a claim with unemployment FOR me because my hours have been cut so much due to NJA. It is the LAW.  In my state, it is the only way to get partial unemployment.    ...

F5 Client Look Up Security Certificate Outdated?
Nov 08, 2010

I just signed on to work and needed to look up a Client Profile to double-check their protocol.  I get this message from windows with a big alert that the site I am trying to connect to their Certificate of Security has expired??? Say What???? I had to pick a choice to go to the site and windows did not want me to do it saying my computer could be corrupted, etc.  I did get to the profile, but what the heck does this mean??? Is it just me or has Medquist forgot to refile something?&nbs ...

Security Document Signing The Norm?
Jun 06, 2014

Just getting a chance to finally get hired!!! A requirement is to electronically sign documents swearing to confidentiality and another stating that "Additionally, as part of our contract with the Florida Department of Children and Families, we must ensure that each of our Independent Contractors meets the department's internal security and HIPAA confidentiality requirements. Are these normal to be signed by companies?  ...

Has Anyone Ever Filed A Workers Comp
Apr 26, 2012

I was just looking through the Human Resources page and can't find anything about WC. Just curious if anyone has filed for it and any clue on who to talk to about it? TIA ...

Ever Filed A Workers Comp?
Aug 07, 2012

I have carpal tunnel. Is it possible to file a WC case at MModal for this? Who would I speak to in Human Resources.  Spent a bit of time looking at MQCentral (or whatever it's called) and got dizzy, but couldn't find an answer. TIA ...

To Those Who Have Filed For Partial Unemployment
Nov 01, 2012

I briefly looked over the website for unemployment in my state (Texas) and find it very confusing.  Did you go to an office to do this?  Also what info do I need to have available for filing?  Believe me, I've been job hunting for 2+ years.  I've had a couple of interviews but so far no hire.  I'm almost to the point I would work in housekeeping just to get a steady job!!!!!!  Thanks for any help you can give. ...

Wow, So I Filed For Unemployment......what A Surprise....
Aug 23, 2013

Turns out my weekly benefit is MORE than I was making at MM before I got laid off, at least recently. I'm guessing it's because I made more before and slowly but surely my pay kept going down down down. Apparently the UI benefit is based on an average of what you made all year or something. All I know is that by getting laid off, I am actually going to make much more than I did as of late. Isn't that a hoot. Good riddance M-Modal! ...