A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

A matter of National Security? - xmt

Posted: Sep 28, 2012

With the nature of world affairs and US relations such as they are, I can't help but think how wrong it is for companies in general, but specifically MTSOs, to be sending highly sensitive information overseas the way they do. It scares me to think about my social security number, date of birth, address, etc. being handled by someone who doesn't necessarily feel the sense that they must protect that information. Maybe instead of complaining about how much work is being offshored, we should all be contacting our congress people and really letting them know what we think of this practice. One person alone is tiny but all of us together could possibly move a mountain.

I'm in total agreement with you xmt nm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Really, lol? If you have credit cards, your SS# & financial - info is already in a 3rd world country. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
s

yes, and technical support in our computers. Ever call Microsoft? - call Virgin Mobil about your bill sometime. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

National security - xmt

[ In Reply To ..]
yes, and if you were astute enough to read the whole message, you would see it says companies in general..all companies who send our info overseas are putting us all at risk.

I was referring to where she said *specifially MTSOs* - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

That is a known prblem and it is why ... - No offshoring for fed accounts

[ In Reply To ..]
Military and VA accounts cannot go to companies which offshore, or which are owned or managed offshore, even if they have a US branch manager. Al accounts must prohibit subcontracting and require employee background checks. Been that way for several years now.

MModal is specifcally banned because they sent VA work offshore anyway, and that is what prompted the ban on offshore involvement of any sort.

Very, very interesting! Thank you for posting. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Is It Gray Matter Or Grey Matter Pls
Feb 11, 2015

x ...

Security
Oct 22, 2012

I am looking into transcribing for a doctor from 1000 miles away.  I currently work in his office but will be moving.  He is concerned about the security of his files during transfer and also when they get on my computer...("How can I be sure my files are secure once they are on your computer?").  Does anyone have any recommendations/suggestions for this situation? Thanks everyone. ...

Example Of MT Job Security With SR
Dec 05, 2012

Dictated: "His story starts in Ohio." SR: "His story starts in high heels." ...

Getting Back Into MT At A National...
Nov 11, 2010

I tried to post this on the company board but I guess that was the wrong place.  So I am sorry for having made that error.  I'm new to the forum, so I do apologize for any mistakes I make posting going forward  and well in advance of making them.  I do hope that I am putting this on the right board; however, if I am not some direction in that regard would be appreciated as well.  Where does a post like this belong exactly?  I do need some objective help with th ...

National Punctuation Day
Sep 03, 2012

FYI Monday, September 24, is National Punctuation Day.  Visit nationalpunctuationday.com to learn more. Let your QA people know about this day! ...

Anyone Who Uses Your PC For MT Work, Do You Have A Security Program On It?
Jan 01, 2011

What I mean is,  if your company has any type of keystroke or time monitoring software on there. If you use your own computer for personal use and have banking records or other misc on there,  do you have a program that locks out the company software, only allowing them to monitor their own stuff and not yours?     Is there even such a program?    I need one.    Thanks. ...

Social Security Taxes
Jan 11, 2011

This is my first year to work solely as an IC.  I have been sending quarterly taxes in to the IRS using the form 1040 payment vouchers they supplied.  It has just occurred to me that I don't know if any of the money I am sending in is going to Social Security tax.  I am not sure how it is allocated.  I send in 25-30% of my earnings.  Can anyone with more knowledge about this help me understand?  Thanks so much!  ...

Is Security The Real Concern?
Feb 17, 2011

How of HIPAA compliance yields profitable partnerships? I guess a lot of emphases given to HIPAA compliance is truly justified, especially in the case of outsourcing. The thrust on confidentiality and security of patient records grows manifold when it's done across 7 seas. ...

Proposed: National SR Celebration Day
Feb 04, 2012

It only takes Googling phrases like "celebration day", "recognition day", "remembrance day" and such to prove to yourself that we are a nation of celebrators, recognizers and rememberers.  To name but a few: National Doctors Day - March 30 National Nurses Day - May 6 National POW Day - 3rd Friday in September Make a Difference Day - 4th Saturday in October Earth Day - April 22 Administrative Professionals Day - April 25 International Chocolate Day - September 13 World Alzheimer Day ...

I Took An IC Job With A National And Haven't Really Ever Worked As An IC Before.
Apr 29, 2012

Basically, it's been working out fine until one day last week when I received an email from the transcription manager saying that was "short on my time" on one specific day.  I was confused because while I agreed to work first shift on specific days, I wasn't aware that I was strictly held to a specific schedule and wondered how they were keeping track of my hours worked because I do not punch a time clock.  I assume they are keeping track of the hours I'm logged onto th ...

Anyone Who Has Applied For Social Security Or UE. Sm
Dec 27, 2012

Did you list Nuance as your employer or AlphaStaff or ADP? Confusing for me. Waiting for HR to reply, but I need to know soon.  It's like pulling teeth to get information from this company.  ...

National Holiday In India
Jan 25, 2013

I just read on line that today is a national holiday in India.  I was reading about the trial of the men who raped and killed that girl and the court will reconvene on Monday as today is a national holiday over there.  I wonder if that will mean more work for us?  Ya think??!! ...

Early Social Security
Jun 29, 2013

How do you go about getting early SS??  How early can you get it.  I am in my 50's so is that too early?  I remember my mom did that but she was older and she still worked 3 days a week and as long as she kept under a certain amount she was allowed to do both. ...

I Thought It Was OUR National MT Week
May 18, 2015

MT week, Scottie? There go the 400 gift cards - straight to India ...

Baby Was Delivered By National Delivery.
Sep 24, 2010

Guess they took over for the stork?  My ASR has also taken a holiday from all small words today:  is, was, the, and, then, etc.  I guess it has been threatened to be more productive also.  Just skip half the words and voila -- twice the production.  That gets really tedious hour after hour.  Disclaimer:  I am happy to have a job.  Do not wish to find another one.  Too old for career change.  Thank you. ...

Check With Your State's Unemployment Security
Oct 07, 2010

I just found out that by law, MQ was supposed to file a claim with unemployment FOR me because my hours have been cut so much due to NJA. It is the LAW.  In my state, it is the only way to get partial unemployment.    ...

F5 Client Look Up Security Certificate Outdated?
Nov 08, 2010

I just signed on to work and needed to look up a Client Profile to double-check their protocol.  I get this message from windows with a big alert that the site I am trying to connect to their Certificate of Security has expired??? Say What???? I had to pick a choice to go to the site and windows did not want me to do it saying my computer could be corrupted, etc.  I did get to the profile, but what the heck does this mean??? Is it just me or has Medquist forgot to refile something?&nbs ...

Easiest National MTSO To Get Hired By...?
Nov 13, 2010

Curious which national MTSO has the easiest tests to pass for a newbie or someone coming back to the field after an extended abscence... I've heard MQ is the hardest, andyone have any others they want to mention?  ...

NATIONAL MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST WEEK
Feb 21, 2011

National Medical Transcriptionist Week is May 16 - 22 What are you doing to celebrate it?  I'm looking for some creative ways for our work group to celebrate. ...

Anyone Who Works For A National Work Christmas Day? (msg)
Dec 27, 2011

What was your total pay for the day?  Do most pay on-call time? ...

Anyone Know Of National Companies That Provide Computer? Sm
Mar 04, 2012

I am facing layoff at the end of March and looking for at home work, but do not have and cannot afford a computer.... ...

Security Document Signing The Norm?
Jun 06, 2014

Just getting a chance to finally get hired!!! A requirement is to electronically sign documents swearing to confidentiality and another stating that "Additionally, as part of our contract with the Florida Department of Children and Families, we must ensure that each of our Independent Contractors meets the department's internal security and HIPAA confidentiality requirements. Are these normal to be signed by companies?  ...

National Labor Relations Board, Says
Dec 09, 2014

discuss your pay in public as much as you would like. It is the law.  It does not matter if you have signed a nondisclosure statement on salary as that is not legal. If you are fired for talking about your salary you have legal grounds for compensation. Of course distributing copyrighted material is illegal, but you can talk about your work concerns and salary in public. It is the law no matter what a company tells you. You do not have to be part of a union. You have rights as an employee ...

NATIONAL MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST STRIKE! ..
Feb 19, 2015

As MTs, we have seen over the years how our jobs just keep bottoming out more or less.  Companies are taking advantage of us while they "suck up all the money" that is paid out by healthcare facilities; we just "don't count."  On top of that, companies are now trying to turn us into ICs supplying our own software programs AND equipment.  In 25 years of doing this, I have not seen line count pay increase one iota quite frankly.  The only thing I can think of is ...

Getting Out Of MT -- No Matter WHAT!
Feb 26, 2012

My 2-1/2-decade MT career is coming to an end. When I think back on how *HAPPY* I was back in the good ole days (late 80s into late 90s) as an MT and then contrast that with the picture now, it makes me want to cry.  We made GOOD money for someone without a degree, had GOOD benefits, and were at least somewhat appreciated back then.  In retrospect (hindsight is always 20/20), working conditions began going downhill when we became isolated from the physicians (as if we w ...

I'm Out Of The MT Market... I Filed For Social Security Today
Nov 02, 2009

I have grown tired of looking for a job, and it just so happens I turn 62 next month, so I'm out of the MT market.  Goodbye to you MTSOs who play games with hard working people trying to put food on the table.  It's gonna catch up with you and as they say, "Jimmy Crack Corn and....."  I pray you MTs who are younger will find jobs or get out of this dying field.  It has really changed in the last 15 years, but radically changed in the last 2.  Goodbye.&nbs ...

Social Security Death/Retirement Benefits
Jul 10, 2010

My aunt is 63, still working, uncle 66, still working PT but receiving full SS benefits.  He has recently been diagnosed with cancer.  If he dies, and my aunt keeps working (she is working for the medical insurance), will she receive his death benefit, and will it be the same amout.  She is worried about this, well in advance (we hope) and I just wanted to ease her mind a little.  Thank you. ...

Anybody Have Experience With National Medical Transcription Company?
Oct 07, 2010

I received a job interview for an IC position with a company called National Medical Transcription with headquarters in New York.  Has anybody worked with this company? My main concern was that the company does not offer direct deposit but rather issues a check via mail.  Next concern is a "transparent" means of tallying up productivity for 65 character lines and spaces included. I would appreciate any feedback from present or past contractors. Thank you. ...

Social Security And Progressive Part Time
May 23, 2013

Thinking of taking early SS and cutting hours so I would not make much more than the 15,000 you are allowed on SS.  That way I would still be eligible for insurance until I am old enough for Medicare. Has anyone else done this or know any pros and cons about that progressive part time thing?  TIA ...

Does Anyone Know If A Person Can Collect Social Security And Unemployment?
Jan 07, 2014

I have an email out to a friend with this question also.  She was laid off and had already applied for social security early.  Haven't heard back yet. ...