A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

To those who have filed for partial unemployment - anon

Posted: Nov 01, 2012

I briefly looked over the website for unemployment in my state (Texas) and find it very confusing.  Did you go to an office to do this?  Also what info do I need to have available for filing?  Believe me, I've been job hunting for 2+ years.  I've had a couple of interviews but so far no hire.  I'm almost to the point I would work in housekeeping just to get a steady job!!!!!!  Thanks for any help you can give.

Here is what I did... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I filed online. Then, a rep. from unemployment office called me to go over income. It has been a year since I filed last, but I think I just needed employer info, name, address, etc., and then what I earn each week. You need to calculate your earnings each week even though you are only paid every 2 weeks because you file every week. I found that if you add your lines separately for each week, it was pretty east to get the gross amount. Then, I just filed my weekly claims online. It was all very smooth.

If you have problems with the form, they will call you or you can call them.

and I should add... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I collected unemployment even after I was up to my regular hours again because my pay is so much lower than it was in the highest quarter due to the cesspool and the cut in pay we had when the took away night differential and dropped my pay from 10.5 to 10 and 6.5 to 6.

Filing - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for your help! So you calculate the number of hours you work each week and you are paid for the number of hours less than 40? I wouldn't even know how to go about figuring out the decrease compared to various quarters. I think I would probably be better off going into an office but you certainly helped me!

You dont have to calculate your hours, - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
They ask you weekly if you worked 40 hours. If you did not, you answer no. Then, they ask what your gross earnings were for the week. Lets say you grossed 200.00, that is what you answer. They calculate what your benefit amount is based on the previous highest quarter and calculate what your unemployment amount will be. All you have to keep track of is what your gross earnings were for the week and whether you worked 40 hours or not. It is really pretty simple.
Question from different poster - anonnew
[ In Reply To ..]
So did you try to make up your hours or just checked during your normal shift hours? Just started getting NJA and so far have been able to make up within 2 hours or so of my normal hours. But this is going from mandatory daily OT for most of the last year to suddenly NJA, so getting worried.

I just called my state UI and applied over the phone. - Lee

[ In Reply To ..]
They had all the info already on my employment info. I am PT and only make min. wage lately with a lot of NJA. I get whatever NJA leaves me with. It doesn't hurt to call and ask. Most states will do it.

UI - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks everyone! I'm going to our local office (small town, not busy) the next time I have NJA and can't work!

Similar Messages:

Wow, So I Filed For Unemployment......what A Surprise....
Aug 23, 2013

Turns out my weekly benefit is MORE than I was making at MM before I got laid off, at least recently. I'm guessing it's because I made more before and slowly but surely my pay kept going down down down. Apparently the UI benefit is based on an average of what you made all year or something. All I know is that by getting laid off, I am actually going to make much more than I did as of late. Isn't that a hoot. Good riddance M-Modal! ...

I Just Received A Notice From Our State Regarding Jobs Available Because I Filed For Unemployment An
Sep 02, 2013

Partial Unemployment?
Feb 16, 2010

Anyone had luck in getting partial unemployment as a PT employee?  I have a record of all NJA which does not happen every day but at least a few times each month. ...

Has Anyone Applied For Partial Unemployment
Jul 17, 2010

Has anyone applied for partial unemployment and if so, were you able to get it?  All I ever get is NJA and I'll be damned if I am going to use all my PTO or sit by this computer 24/7.  I do not get up and do things as I should - I sit by this computer and constantly log into  DQS.  I must be nuts but MQ made me this way.  Thanks for any info!! ...

Is It Really Possible To Qualify For Partial Unemployment?
Oct 10, 2010

By year's end, I will have made about half of what I normally make working the same number of FT hours.  I've read suggestions on here to apply for partial UI, which could probably save my behind - I'm not sure how much longer I can pay the rent and not sure where me and kids would go.  However, is it really possible to qualify for that considering the nature of our work, paid by production?  Could'nt it be argued (wrongly so!!) that we just slacked off and did ...

Filing For Partial Unemployment
Mar 22, 2013

Any advice?  I was shy over 8 hours last week due to OOW (towards end of pay period, so no way to catch it up) and over 10 hours this week now (my last scheduled day was yesterday, and I'll be checking in to see if I can catch up some today on my day off, which won't be 10 hours, of course).   Is there generally a certain number of hours, rate of pay, etc., that one has to be shy of actual scheduled in order to qualify?  I understand it may be different from state to st ...

Is It Possible To Collect Partial Unemployment?
Jan 07, 2014

I've heard this before, but was unable to find anything about it ... I live in Georgia.  I went through all my PTO over the holidays because of NJA, and now it's the beginning of the week and I'm already 4 hours down.  What good does it do to "work" on holidays, when there's never any work?  I guess they just can't stand paying that holiday pay ... I'm so depressed right now and my first check of 2014 that I will get on Friday is going to be horrible. ...

Partial Unemployment In New York State?
Sep 06, 2012

Has anyone ever applied for and received partial unemployment in New York state? I looked at their unemployment benefits website and it looks like if you work at all in a day you are considered to have worked that day and you can only get partial unemployment if you work less than 4 days a week? I have been struggling with very low work or no work for weeks now. I was hoping that I could apply for partial unemployment, but I'm not sure how I would qualify. TIA! ...

Partial Unemployment - Company With Not Enough Work
Apr 22, 2013

I hope everyone at this company with not enough work is aware that you can file for partial unemployment.  I knew nothing about this until last year at another job.  You can file to receive partial benefits if you don't work all your hours due to lack of work.  ...

Punished For Filing For Partial Unemployment?
Jul 28, 2013

I'm thinking about applying for partial unemployment. The only thing holding me back is i'm afraid I will get retalation from the company or even get fired. I'm afraid that I will be out of a job completely without having anything else lined up. I've had maybe 2-3 hours a day of work if i'm lucky for going on a week now, and i'm really worried about paying my bills. I have been applying for other jobs in the meantime as well. I would love to hear anyone's exper ...

Partial Unemployment ? - If You Work For A Company In A Different State Sm
Aug 05, 2011

than you live in which state would you file for benefits in?  Thanks! ...

Partial Unemployment - Work Starts To Dwindle
Jun 01, 2013

If you are hired to work a 40 hour week and the work starts to dwindle, does anyone know when you can contact unemployment to collect partial unemployment...have also asked for a secondary account and have not heard a word back...am going on 3 weeks of not getting in my full 40 hours and am so frustrated...am in NJ, if anyone has any info...thanks so much! ...

Any Partial UE (or Laid Off) MTs Having Trouble Getting Paid Unemployment?
Sep 13, 2013

CA just changed computer systems and 1000s of workers haven't been paid.  It's a mess and getting media attention now.  My paper claim was lost and payment is being delayed.  If you think MTs are grumpy on forums, you should see the UE forum crowd.  lol   Anyway, I'm not panicking yet, but hopefully it gets cleared and I'm paid by next month. ...

Is Filing For Partial Unemployment Due To Lack Of Work
Jul 23, 2014

A good way to just get yourself booted?  Would most companies tell you to get lost if you end up filing for partial? ...

Has Anyone Filed For UE
Mar 19, 2013

Is it just me or is their website kind of a maze? They want to know what my eligibility benefit is, but how can I find that? ...

Has Anyone Ever Filed For
Jun 01, 2013

from doing editing work?   I have been doing this now for about 3 years, and recently after about 2 hours into my work days I have started getting shooting pains in my hands and arms.  I don't think it is CTS because the pains are only when I am actually keyboarding.   (Then again maybe it is psychosomatic because I hate this job so much! )  Thanks.   ...

I Give Up. Has Anyone Filed For UE
Mar 12, 2013

My TSM is RW. Just WONDERING if anyone else in her region has filed? TIA ...

Filed Bankruptcy Today
Feb 18, 2010

Gonna lose the car.  Thank God I work at home, but it still sucks.  ...

Has Anyone Ever Filed A Workers Comp
Apr 26, 2012

I was just looking through the Human Resources page and can't find anything about WC. Just curious if anyone has filed for it and any clue on who to talk to about it? TIA ...

Ever Filed A Workers Comp?
Aug 07, 2012

I have carpal tunnel. Is it possible to file a WC case at MModal for this? Who would I speak to in Human Resources.  Spent a bit of time looking at MQCentral (or whatever it's called) and got dizzy, but couldn't find an answer. TIA ...

Has Anyone Here Filed Workers' Comp At MM?
Apr 20, 2015

I would love to hear your experience.  Did they fight it?  Did they let you come back to your same BOB and shift?  Did you have to pay your entire health insurance premium during that time?  Can you collect short-term disability and workers' comp simultaneously?  Any info at all appreciated.   I've been at MM 15 years and now have CTS, RSI, and epicondylitis, not to mention rapid vision loss from staring at the monitor all day, hearing loss from having t ...

Anyone Ever Filed A Worker's Comp Case?
Mar 23, 2010

Just curious to those who have been in this profession awhile and have become hurt as a result, have you filed and won or not won?  I have battled pain about eight years now and have hit a wall, can no longer work.  My hands and wrists swell up, I have twitches in all fingers, I drop things, cannot grip or open things, cannot write, wear splints, driving hurts.  Just wondering other's experience with this.  I have about 20 years until retirement so I need to keep working ...

Filed A Remedy Complaint About The New Spellcheck
Dec 22, 2014

First tech wanted to go over with me how to actually do it. I told Sanjeep no thanks I already took the tutorial, I know how to do it, I was just filing a complaint that the new spellcheck is time consuming and redundant and costing me money. Why must I hit spell check minimum of 2 times for each report and why must it stop on every mandatory heading with no way to bypass them? Why does it spellcheck the entire report twice when you try to split a job? Why did they decide to use Shift-Alt fo ...

I'm Out Of The MT Market... I Filed For Social Security Today
Nov 02, 2009

I have grown tired of looking for a job, and it just so happens I turn 62 next month, so I'm out of the MT market.  Goodbye to you MTSOs who play games with hard working people trying to put food on the table.  It's gonna catch up with you and as they say, "Jimmy Crack Corn and....."  I pray you MTs who are younger will find jobs or get out of this dying field.  It has really changed in the last 15 years, but radically changed in the last 2.  Goodbye.&nbs ...

Whatever Happened To Lawsuit TransTech Filed Against MT Who Posted Here? Nm
Feb 19, 2011

Nm ...

Has Anyone Filed Bankruptcy And Foreclosure During These Hard Times
Mar 10, 2011

I got caught up in the ARM back in 2004 and 2005 and when it was time for my mortgage to adjust, the rates were higher, and my payment jumped to almost 900.00 dollars a month, and while that may sound low to some, how about at the same time, regular transcription went to VR, and companies started outsourcing, and my transcription pay went from about 45,000 a year to 29,000 to 30,000.  I finally found a stable MT position at a local hospital, at almost 17.00 an hour, and while it is a good s ...

Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Transcend
May 12, 2012

Anyone who works for Transcend now or in the last three years needs to check this out. This is the real deal.  For all of us who haven't made minimum wage or were refused overtime pay, you may be able to get in on this. ...

CLASS ACTION SUIT FILED AGAINST TRANSCEND!!! BREAKING NEWS!!!
May 11, 2012

Well, it's done folks!  A couple of VERY brave ladies have filed a class action suit for make up to minimum and OT issues against Transcend.  If anyone is interested in getting their own going against some other MTSO's, well, it's time to be heard.  We're not going to take it anymore!  If you would like info on the attorneys who filed this suit, please feel free to email me.  A very proud day indeed! ...

BREAKING NEWS!!! CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT FILED AGAINST TRANSCEND!!!
May 11, 2012

Well, it's done folks!  A couple of VERY brave ladies have filed a class action suit for make up to minimum and OT issues against Transcend.  If anyone is interested in getting their own going against some other MTSO's, well, it's time to be heard.  We're not going to take it anymore!  If you would like info on the attorneys who filed this suit, please feel free to email me.  A very proud day indeed! ...

Anyone Had Successfully Filed A Claim With The Department Of Labor Regarding Unpaid Time?
Oct 03, 2013

I was wondering if anyone had successfully filed a claim with the Department of Labor regarding unpaid time waiting for jobs or being "engaged to wait."  ...