A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Filing for early Social Security/Working Part-time - BabyBoomerMT

Posted: Apr 07, 2012

Anyone here working part-time and receiving early Social Security benefits? I am considering doing this in the next year and wondering if anyone else is already doing so. Thoughts?  I've been working full-time since the age of 18 years and part-time before that, with only a 6-month period of time between jobs, but was collecting severance pay those 6 months. So, I really feel I deserve to get back some of the money I've put into Social Security over the last 4-1/2 decades.  My body cannot take sitting at a computer 8 plus hours a day any longer.

Early SS - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I have cut my hours and will start receiving my Social Security in June - I turn 62 in April. I sure hope its a good move. I have decided to do this because life is short and I want to do a few things before I can't any longer. Many people have said that its the way to go. My husband is retired now so we are probably going to live life a little bit. We can't afford to travel much but a few day trips will be nice. I want to continue working some for as long as I can just to keep busy and bring in a few extra bucks. Hope all goes well for you.

SS and PT work - also boomer

[ In Reply To ..]
I also have been trying to figure this possible solution out and it is not easy. I have called the SS# twice and gotten difficult to understand information, possibly contradictory. The SS web site has a thorough explantation of how this is supposed to work, much of which I printed. I am probably going to make the leap myself soon. Although I am under full retirement age, I figure the current low wages in our field will keep me qualified and not making too much $. Would appreciate any other input from others who have tried this solution to our outsourced occupation. Good luck!

SS and PT work - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I did that at 62 = peanuts from SS, but I really needed it. My PT work doubles my SS and I can live reasonably well on it - small time. Every year SS kicks in an extra couple bucks a month - like "Oh gee we didn't notice - you worked all last year" - and they give a couple hundred to make up for what they didn't pay extra while I was working. So I've been able to creep the SS up a bit - still not much compared to what they take out. Don't know how much longer I can keep working tho - it's not the work it's all the stupid hassles with the machinery and the demeaning attitudes.

This is how I feel too regarding "machinery". - I take that to mean SM

[ In Reply To ..]
the different platforms,the computer knowledge, etc. we now have to know. At 61, I didn't grow up with computers, and the younger generation seems to have no problem with it. I have problems. I never needed to know it with this work, and now it seems even in some job ads they require you to be "computer literate" whenever that means. One ad said they would test you on that. I work so much, I don't have time to educate myself on all of these programs. I never even used word for transcription so I am not too familiar with that either. I was trained on what I use now, and I have that down pat, but my company has been sold and who knows what I will need to learn at another job? Anyway, I am in the same boat as all of you, and am really considering taking early SS next year. I feel I have no choice at this point. As another poster said, could someone explain the steps to do this? Sometimes I feel so overwhelmed with all the information I am supposed to store in my brain and all the information I am confused about that I feel like an idiot. If I could just transcribe like I used to and make a living wage doing so like I used to, everything would be fine but that is not to be as technology is moving an at alarming rate and I can't keep up. Thanks for any help.

I took SS early - ANOTHER MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Instead of waiting until I was 65 to get SS, I did it at 63-1/2, and did not really lose anything. I had to do this out of desperation with the line count I was making on PT work. It is the only thing that keeps me somewhat afloat. It took a lot of stress off of me, and I feel that if I had been making a fairly decent salary I would not have resorted to doing this. I have been working since the age of 16, with only 1 break in that at the age of 35, when I babysat at home, but that was only a year. By the time I filed for SS, I had accumulated a decent amount, nothing to get rich on, but it pays for food, medicine, rent. I wish you luck, and I have never been unhappy that I took that step.

I'm taking SS at 63..SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
My hospital job got outsourced and my income cut in half. I went down to the SS office in January and talked to them. We figured out my approximate benefit which was larger than exhusband's because he mostly worked in a state retirement system. I thought about it for about a month, and then applied on line at the end of February. You should apply 2-3 months beforehand. It's not scary at all. You can make $14,600 before you lose $1 for every $3 earned over that amount. I'm probably not going to make much over $14,600 because I'm doing SR and making a crummy line rate and only doing about 250-300 lph. Also, when you reach full retirement age, your benefit will be readjusted to account for the money you earned prior to full retirement age. So with my employment income, my SS, one private client who pays very well, and a rental income I have, I'll be doing okay. If you need your SS NOW to survive, why not apply. Thank goodness it was there for me as I could never live on what these MTSOs pay now.

What is the first step to apply early for SS? - L&L

[ In Reply To ..]
When my ex and I divorced, all I took was as much of his retirement as I could get...I set up his TIAA to kick in at age 62, and when he retires, I get half of is state teachers retirement.

I'll be 62 in Oct 2013. How soon do you apply for this and how do you do it. I hate sounding so stupid, but I never really thought I'd live this long (seriously...everybody in my family dies young).

Feel free to email with any advice. I'd really appreciate it.

early SS - also boomer

[ In Reply To ..]
Has anyone done this and then made over the yearly allowed and had their SS cut off for the rest of the year? This is the one thing I am really worried about, as 1 SS rep I talked to made it sound as if (??)that would happen.

Thank you in advance.

SS Early - Muzzmuzz

[ In Reply To ..]
I just did this, started getting ready to take SS early. I turn 62 in July of this year. Call the SS office and make and appointment, they will take your info on the phone and go over it with you. They take what you made last year and deduct $14,600. from that. If you made over that, then they take back $1 for every $3 you made. I did and ended up having to "give them back" 4 months of my SS benefits at the beginning of next year. In other words, I will not get a cent from them until May 1, 2013. They actually want you to estimate how much you will make next year and they go from there. But they keep anything you made over the above amount BEFORE you start getting your SS check. Nice, huh? I have to keep working part time to keep my insurance, Medicare does not kick in until you are 65. I was looking forward to being able to have a little extra every month instead of hand to mouth, don't look like its going to happen. Bottom line, just type social security benefits into google and it will bring up the federal web site, get your local SS number and call the office. They will take it from there. I did ask if unemployment was counted as income and was told it was NOT, so quess that is something....

Thank you and question - BabyBoomerMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you all for your comments so far, and wishing you all much luck, as well.

Muzzmuzz: May, 2013....Were you wanting to start collecting your benefits in July, 2012, or January, 2013? Just trying to understand how this works. Thanks.

is it any wonder we are confused - also boomer

[ In Reply To ..]
I was told that if you were overpaid (due to working too much) by a relatively large amount, they would work out a payment plan to spread that repayment out over months.
Agree, it is very confusing - BabyBoomerMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I want to go part-time and start collecting mid year, so I was looking at this link where they talk about earnings the current year you retire and having special rules for that first year. Didn't see anything about them looking at your previous year's earnings in order to decide what to hold back. Thought it was just the current year?

So, if one retires beginning of year, maybe it is a different scenario.

WTH??? - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
Seriously? I thought I could apply, draw my SS at 62 and still work part-time, not going over the $14,000/year. The idea was so I didn't have to do this crap full time anymore.

My understanding is that the earning limit - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
does not actually start getting counted until the month you retire early and only is in effect until you reach the full retirement age somewhere between 65 and 67.

Receiving benefits from husband's acct if divorced... - Bindi

[ In Reply To ..]
This isn't what the OP was asking, but I think it may be of interest to anyone nearing retirement age. If you were married for at least 10 yrs, then divorced, you are entitled to a portion of your ex's SS. Apparently, this is a benefit for you and does not diminish your ex's actual payment in any way.

It applies to people who have not remarried.

EXCERPT FROM SS site: If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if he or she has remarried) if:

You are unmarried;
You are age 62 or older;
Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits and
The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work.
If you remarry, you generally cannot collect benefits on your former spouse's record unless your later marriage ends (whether by death, divorce or annulment).

If your ex-spouse has not applied for retirement benefits, but can qualify for them, you can receive benefits on his or her record if you have been divorced for at least two years.

If you are eligible for retirement benefits on your own record we will pay that amount first. But if

the benefit on his or her record is a higher amount, you will get a combination of benefits that equals that higher amount (reduced for age).

you have reached full retirement age and you are eligible for a spouse's benefit and your own retirement benefit, you have a choice.

You can choose to receive only the divorced spouse's benefits now and delay receiving retirement benefits until a later date. If retirement benefits are delayed, a higher benefit may be received at a later date based on the effect of delayed retirement credits.

If you continue to work while receiving benefits, the retirement benefit earnings limit still applies. If you are eligible for benefits this year and are still working, you can use our earnings test calculator to see how those earnings would affect your benefit payments.

will also receive a pension based on work not covered by Social Security, such as government or foreign work, your Social Security benefit on your ex-spouse's record may be affected.

The amount of benefits you get has no effect on the amount of benefits your ex-spouse or their current spouse may receive.

If you need information about benefits your ex-spouse can receive based on your record, please read Benefits for your divorced spouse.

Note: If your former spouse is deceased and you need information about possible survivors benefits, please read "If You're the Worker's Surviving Divorced Spouse."

SS Benefits - GC

[ In Reply To ..]
The problem with the whole SS system is part of their employees do not have a clue in regards to some of the rules regarding receiving benefits from an ex. A lot of this is new and why they would have people working there that know nothing about it is beyond me. I went to one of their offices in person to see if I could draw off my ex (I had been married to him 24 yrs. and had five children). My middle daughter did his taxes the year we separated and told me he made $56,000 that year (which was almost three times more than I made). I remarried and my husband passed away. He was a wonderful person but did not draw as much as I did. Therefore, I should have been able to draw something from my ex. The girl in the SS office was real nice and very smart. She told me to get my ex's SS # and call back the next day. I did and got some hateful, rude man on the line, and he just fussed at me (so to speak) for taking his time. He seemed to know nothing. A lot of this new stuff took place in May 2011.

I know it's exasperating... - bindi

[ In Reply To ..]
According to the excerpt, you should be able to get a monthly payment from your divorced husband's SS now that you are widowed from your second husband.

I am certain that this rule is at least 5 years old so it's just a matter of getting the right blockhead at the Social Security office to help you. I would call again and see if you have better luck. If not, I would go to the www.ssa.gov site and print the specific rule and take that with you to a local SS office in person.

Good luck!

Social Security Breakeven point - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I did some calculations and figured that my SS breakeven point was somewhere around 80 years of age if I started drawing early versus getting a larger benefit by drawing later. I think I will opt for the earlier retirement (if SS is still there and I don't need employee health insurance). You might be able to find a calculator online, but I made my own Excel spreadsheet. I figure that when I am older perhaps I can do a reverse mortgage on my home, or sell it outright for more cash, because I am sure the costs will keep going up.

I would like to find a good retirement planner, though. Recently my hubby locked in to a good life insurance rate--as you get older, life insurance costs more. I thought that was really sweet and unselfish of him. We realized I would never be able to afford my own health insurance if something happened to him.

What I have seen with SS - Worn out

[ In Reply To ..]
I had 3 co-workers collecting SS and working. They watched their hours and worked strictly part time. From my understanding you can make about $14,000 a year before you need to worry. So, if you divide 14,000 by an hourly estimate, you would come up with the approximate number of hours you can work. A full time employee working 40 hours per week works about 2080 hours per year (2088 leap years). These co-workers worked perhaps 3 to 4 days a week for 9 months of the year. Of course, you may have other personal considerations. I have had a very good income tax person in years past who gave me very good advice. I would check into all the angles. Yes, you paid and you earned it. Hopefully they will not keep raising the age so that we are all blind, deaf, and arthritic and still trying to type these reports!

Filing for Social Security/Working Pat-time - Vera

[ In Reply To ..]
I just turned 62. I went on line and filed for my benefits. Very easy to do. You are allowed to make $14,000+ a year without being penalized. They will tell you how much you can make a year. It is direct deposit now. It took me a month to get my money and they base the pay on which month and date you were born in. I get mine the 28th of every month and I drew my first draw this month. Money was there. I have some health issues with my back (spinal stenosis and now it has affected my right leg and sitting here all these hours has taken its toll. The good thing is if you start drawing you also have the option to stop it if you change your mind then restart it. I would have made $300 a month if I had waited until 66, but with work the way it is now I wanted to enjoy the little things in life. I have not regretted my decision. I did a lot of reading about SS information that I could and then took about 3-4 months to make my final decision which I do not regret like I said. It all depends on the person. Check into it.

After reading all of this......I've decided to do the same thing. - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
I had planned on working until 66 to draw the full benefit but had a change of heart today. I am 54 this year. At 62, I'm drawing. I'll work 20 hours a week if that. Husband has retirement now. I'd like to enjoy myself before I'm too old or sick. I've worked since I was 16. Changes my whole work perspective.

Early SS/part time employment - xmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Do it! Your monthly SS payment will be slightly less, but you will receive more over the long run if you start collecting early. MT is a dying career -you're lucky to be able to work part time! I was laid off in June of 2011 - still haven't found work; assuming my age is the problem.

Similar Messages:

Social Security And Progressive Part Time
May 23, 2013

Thinking of taking early SS and cutting hours so I would not make much more than the 15,000 you are allowed on SS.  That way I would still be eligible for insurance until I am old enough for Medicare. Has anyone else done this or know any pros and cons about that progressive part time thing?  TIA ...

Early Social Security
Jun 29, 2013

How do you go about getting early SS??  How early can you get it.  I am in my 50's so is that too early?  I remember my mom did that but she was older and she still worked 3 days a week and as long as she kept under a certain amount she was allowed to do both. ...

Social Security Taxes
Jan 11, 2011

This is my first year to work solely as an IC.  I have been sending quarterly taxes in to the IRS using the form 1040 payment vouchers they supplied.  It has just occurred to me that I don't know if any of the money I am sending in is going to Social Security tax.  I am not sure how it is allocated.  I send in 25-30% of my earnings.  Can anyone with more knowledge about this help me understand?  Thanks so much!  ...

Anyone Who Has Applied For Social Security Or UE. Sm
Dec 27, 2012

Did you list Nuance as your employer or AlphaStaff or ADP? Confusing for me. Waiting for HR to reply, but I need to know soon.  It's like pulling teeth to get information from this company.  ...

I'm Out Of The MT Market... I Filed For Social Security Today
Nov 02, 2009

I have grown tired of looking for a job, and it just so happens I turn 62 next month, so I'm out of the MT market.  Goodbye to you MTSOs who play games with hard working people trying to put food on the table.  It's gonna catch up with you and as they say, "Jimmy Crack Corn and....."  I pray you MTs who are younger will find jobs or get out of this dying field.  It has really changed in the last 15 years, but radically changed in the last 2.  Goodbye.&nbs ...

Social Security Death/Retirement Benefits
Jul 10, 2010

My aunt is 63, still working, uncle 66, still working PT but receiving full SS benefits.  He has recently been diagnosed with cancer.  If he dies, and my aunt keeps working (she is working for the medical insurance), will she receive his death benefit, and will it be the same amout.  She is worried about this, well in advance (we hope) and I just wanted to ease her mind a little.  Thank you. ...

Does Anyone Know If A Person Can Collect Social Security And Unemployment?
Jan 07, 2014

I have an email out to a friend with this question also.  She was laid off and had already applied for social security early.  Haven't heard back yet. ...

Social Security. HaHa! Tried To Apply-absolutely Frustrated
Dec 03, 2009

First, they took almost $300 off me back in the '90s because I didn't pay for a year.Does wages of $37 and payment of $2 to SS count? The following year, it shows no income. Okay, maybe I didn't work that year but I still had 40 credits then. Now, I tried to apply and they want my W2 for 2008 according to the online applications. SS called me today. They show no wages for me in 2005. Send a W2, but they do have 2008 and  i don't have to send that. They show les ...

Is Anyone Working Part-time At MQ? - Sm
Jan 07, 2011

Wondering if they have part-time and what that entails, if anyone knows?  Do you have to work specific hours, meaning, worse hours, because you are part-time?  (Some companies make part-timers only work weekends).  Are they any statutory employees? Thanks for any help. ...

Getting A Mortgage Working Part Time With
Mar 29, 2013

Has anyone been able to get a mortgage while working part time and receiving Social Security?  I have been told by 2 mortgage lenders that this is not possible.  Any replies are greatly appreciated, and if you felt like sharing the name of your mortgage lender that also would be appreciated.  Thanks! ...

Unemployment While Working Part Time IC
Feb 25, 2015

I have a question concerning unemployment and I hope I can word this correctly. I have 2 jobs. One is IC with a very small volume - about 1500 lines per 2-week pay period. I also have a full-time job as an employee. I will be laid off my full-time job this Friday due to loss of work. I am considering filing for unemployment, but I wonder how my IC job will affect my unemployment, if at all? I also have an option of receiving more work from the IC job, but still would not be making as much as I d ...

Thoughts On Working For M Modal Part-time?
Feb 09, 2013

It is depressing reading about the poor treatment by some companies. I am looking for some part-time transcribing or VR editing after losing OT and no raise but health care, grocery, gas costs still rising. How are they to work for? Do you run out of work? Is the pay so low you feel like you are sewing soccer balls in India? I worked for a local service years ago, the pay was great, the owner great and tons of work. From what I am reading 8 cpl for transcribing and 4 cpl for VR editing is n ...

What's The Hour And Line Count Differences Between Part Time And Flex Part Time?
Jan 12, 2012

I'm currently flex part time only working 18 hours a week but I do have a set schedule.  What are the requirments for part-time and how may hours per week do you have to work.  Also, is there a difference between the line counts for part time and flex part time. Thanks. ...

Social Contact And Working At Home
Jan 21, 2010

I'm strongly considering working at home. Do any of you who work at home have tips on balancing out the long hours working alone with having social contact, especially those of you who live alone or live with one other person?  I'm already an introvert to an extent but I'm nervous of the fact that if I work at home, I may become a hermit.  ...

Retired 10 Working Days Early
Jul 17, 2013

Well, after last thursday night such bad dictators and made no money--so just getting min wage, I finally retired 10 working days early.  So sad when you can make more money working 25 hours a week in a grocery store as a customer service rep, cashier, and working on self-scans.  Such a relief to get away from this company.  Hope you all have a good summer and I am out of here.  ...

Too Early For Miller Time
Nov 27, 2014

Coffee anyone? ...

Trying To Find Part-time Or Full-time Employee Position (hospital/clinic)
Apr 30, 2013

If anyone knows of a hospital, clinic, or large practice offering remote full-time or part-time employee positions, I would really appreciate an email.  I have the sudden need to help support a family member long term (in addition to myself) and really need to find a long-term remote employee position for the stability.  Yes, I watch all the various employment sites and even individual hospital sites, but I was hoping that maybe, just maybe someone who works for a hospital that does th ...

How Many Lines Is Considered Full Time And Part Time At Your MTSO?
May 06, 2010

I am wondering what the average for part time and full time status is either if it is done by line count or hours. Thanks so much! ...

FULL-TIME DOWNGRADE TO PART-TIME STATUS - Question
Dec 08, 2011

Has anyone working for an MTSO been downgraded from full-time status to part-time status based on not enough hours worked to be considered full time, yet making well above the minimum amount of earnings required for full-time status? ...

Does Precyse Hire Any Part-time Or Only Full-time?
Nov 03, 2010

nm ...

MQ Rehire Policy For Part Time To Full Time
Apr 09, 2011

I worked for MQ full time and then went to part time last year, before finally quitting altogether because of health problems. I seem to remember an obscure policy that if you were full time and then went to part time, you could not go back to full time for a period of at least 1 year.  Can anyone verify that for me? IF, and this is a big IF, I were to go back to work for MQ, I would need to be full time. ...

Part-time Versus Full-time Benefits
Jan 10, 2013

I'm curious as to the difference between the benefits for part-time versus full-time employment.  Are they the same?   ...

Optiscript Part Time To Full Time
Nov 19, 2011

Does anyone care to share that if you are hired at optiscript part time will they let you change to full time easily? I know they are a small company and do not over hire so I do not know how easily this could be done.  I am thinking of cutting down to part time at my current employee so I can work part time elsewhere and eventually just leave my current employee once I see how the land lays elsewhere.  Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated :) ...

Full-time/Part-time Hours?
Feb 13, 2012

Since part-time is generally considered 20-25 hrs. per week, does that mean that full-time is anything over 25 hrs. per week or does it have to be a flat 40 hrs? ...

Anyone Gone From Full-time To Part-time With This Company?
Mar 21, 2012

I am strongly considering going to part-time, just hoping to get opinions from anyone who has gone from full-time to part-time or opinions from anyone who has just always been part-time.  Thanks! ...

Nuance: From Full-time To Part-time
Apr 26, 2012

Would anyone be willing to post info on this? I am considering switching to part-time. Wondering how amenable the company is to such requests. If you have done this, were you able to keep same schedule or were you forced into a different schedule? Thanks for any thoughts! ...

Questions Re Going From Full Time To Part Time. Sm
Aug 08, 2012

Has anyone been allowed to go from full-time to part-time employment with Nuance?  Were you able to keep the same basic schedule?  I won't be ready to do this until early next year, so not asking HR at this point. Thanks for any responses! ...

Nuance - Part Time To Full Time?
Aug 08, 2012

I see the post about going from full to part time, but what about the opposite?  For example, if I get hired at 30 hours per week and I have extra time available for a few weeks, can I consistently work more hours than those scheduled 30 hours?  Thanks for any insight you can give. ...

Change From Full- Time To Part- Time.
Sep 10, 2012

I am still debating whether to enroll at Andrews or M-TEC.  My husband is retiring in 2 years and I want to be able to work part-time after that.  Is it realistic to think that I can complete the course at Andrews or M-TEC in 12 months at the most, work full time for a year and then part-time after that.  I would want to be able to work from home.  I guess the other question is "How long after graduating could I expect to earn enough to make it worth the investment, in a reas ...

Is It Easy To Go From Full Time To Part Time At MM?
Feb 18, 2013

I hired on at full time but want to drop 2 hours off a day.  Do they make you change shift or accounts in that case? I don't want benefits so don't care about that.  I worked at Nuance and any change in schedule ultimately ended up in an account and/or shift change.   TIA ...