A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Social Security. HaHa! Tried to apply-absolutely frustrated - fried

Posted: Dec 03, 2009

First, they took almost $300 off me back in the '90s because I didn't pay for a year.Does wages of $37 and payment of $2 to SS count? The following year, it shows no income. Okay, maybe I didn't work that year but I still had 40 credits then. Now, I tried to apply and they want my W2 for 2008 according to the online applications. SS called me today. They show no wages for me in 2005. Send a W2, but they do have 2008 and  i don't have to send that. They show less than what I made in 2006. Okay, got those statements ready. Then, DH decides why don't I ask about the $200 they deducted back in the '90s when I still had the 40 credits and could collect $500 a month. Back then, I was told they DEDUCT SS payments if you don't work for 2 years. So, I'm asking again. So far, no call back, but it's the end of the week.

Keep watching and I'll let you all know. According to DH, if I had 40 credits back in the 90s and could collect $500 monthly then, that money should not have disappeared. So, the moral of this story is....MAKE SURE YOU ALL GET A SS STATEMENT EVERY YEAR AND COMPARE WAGES. They had DH as making no wages in the late 90s, which I had gotten straigtened out and they had listed my wages for a year in the late 90s  was $14,000 LESS than I earned and paid into. Now I watch every statement for errors. I do think they made an error with my earlier statements that I wasn't smart enough to check into, so I may be getting less SS than I'm entitled to and,so, the fight goes on.

Are you applying for early, full retirement or - disability through social security?

[ In Reply To ..]
Were there any years when you were not working? Seems to me I heard something about if a year or so dropped then something screwy happened about the credits. I am drawing full now, not retired, but did not think that day would ever get here.

Going for early retirement. I think what happened - Fried

[ In Reply To ..]
was I didn't request my statement every year. Then they switched programs(?) or systems around and I got lost in the shuffle.

I put a call into the guy I talked to yesterday and he said he'll get it figured out after he gets my W2s he requested....but now he doesn't want my 2008 W2, just 2005.

I have never thrown any IRS tax forms or W2s away since the 70s, so if I have to take everything to the local office, I will as long as it means a little extra. LOL

Any particular reason for early? - Social security chick

[ In Reply To ..]
Health issues, tired of this work or ?
Reason for early retirement - Fried
[ In Reply To ..]
Been working steadily since age 16 with only 1 year off. I've had health issues with my muscles since my 20s (weakness, pain, and sometimes feel like lead weights, can't lift more than 15 pounds anymore), and work isn't the greatest either.

I plan on continuing to work PT so I don't go nuts or find something else to do that I enjoy.
You don't need a reason for taking early retirement - gourdpainter
[ In Reply To ..]
I weighed the pros and cons and decided I would take early retirement at 62+, 62 years and 8 months I think. I've known too many people who didn't even live to collect benefits at 62. I worked for it, I earned it, I took it. I had planned to continue working too but the MT business got to the point you couldn't pay me enough to get back in it. Soooo I found other things to do that make me happy. Retirement once you get used to it is really a pretty goood and happy thing if you are fortunate to be in good health. Good luck to you and enjoy what you worked so many years to earn!
Now gourdpainter, most people know you do not need - a reason to retire early
[ In Reply To ..]
Just asking, no real reason. Some have health problems and take, fine, some want lots more and wait until full. just up to the client.
I weighed the pros and cons, too and - fried
[ In Reply To ..]
I also had DH weighing in there, too. I decided the life of an MT was not worth the hassle anymore. I gained 10 years on my face (forget asking about my body) over this job. Although stores around here give a senior discount when you're 65, I started receiving it 5 years ago. That's when I started planning. LOL

If I was artistic and could hold my crochet needles long enough, I'd start doing that again. I miss crocheting. I'm not an artist either, or else I'd do something like gourd painting (not really).

My real love is genealogy and it doesn't hurt the bod as much, so I might get back into that, but that's a sporadic (sp) biz.

I applied for a local job today as a legal assistant since I do have 22 years of that. Doubt that I'll get it when they count my years up, but I'm at least trying. In my area, it would probably be minimum wage, but liveable with SS. :-)

It can be frustrating - gourdpainter

[ In Reply To ..]
When I tried to apply on line it said I had to go to my local SS office which I did. They were showing me to have been married something like FIVE times!!! There was a very nice young man who had it straightened out in about 10 minutes. He even went so far as to check to see if my benefits would be more under my own work history or my husband's, can't remember exactly what but our incomes had been about equal. It might be worth an in person visit. Good luck to you!

In person - travelinMT

[ In Reply To ..]
My cousin applied in person and had no problems whatsoever. She made an appt and arrived at the office that day to a whole room full of people. She waited about 10 minutes and they called her in. She too had a woman that was very nice, worked with her to get her the most of what she was entitled to and was done in less than 1/2 hour.

I would try doing it in person instead of online. Seems to be the easiest way to go.

Hate to tell you GP, but they got you mixed up with me - Marrying kind

[ In Reply To ..]
That was me that had been married the 5 times. I hear those wedding bells now..

LOL - gourdpainter

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the chuckle.

HaHa- I would have left it go if it would've been more money for ya! - Fried

[ In Reply To ..]
Not really. But I would have been curious. LOL

Similar Messages:

Social Security Taxes
Jan 11, 2011

This is my first year to work solely as an IC.  I have been sending quarterly taxes in to the IRS using the form 1040 payment vouchers they supplied.  It has just occurred to me that I don't know if any of the money I am sending in is going to Social Security tax.  I am not sure how it is allocated.  I send in 25-30% of my earnings.  Can anyone with more knowledge about this help me understand?  Thanks so much!  ...

Anyone Who Has Applied For Social Security Or UE. Sm
Dec 27, 2012

Did you list Nuance as your employer or AlphaStaff or ADP? Confusing for me. Waiting for HR to reply, but I need to know soon.  It's like pulling teeth to get information from this company.  ...

Early Social Security
Jun 29, 2013

How do you go about getting early SS??  How early can you get it.  I am in my 50's so is that too early?  I remember my mom did that but she was older and she still worked 3 days a week and as long as she kept under a certain amount she was allowed to do both. ...

I'm Out Of The MT Market... I Filed For Social Security Today
Nov 02, 2009

I have grown tired of looking for a job, and it just so happens I turn 62 next month, so I'm out of the MT market.  Goodbye to you MTSOs who play games with hard working people trying to put food on the table.  It's gonna catch up with you and as they say, "Jimmy Crack Corn and....."  I pray you MTs who are younger will find jobs or get out of this dying field.  It has really changed in the last 15 years, but radically changed in the last 2.  Goodbye.&nbs ...

Social Security Death/Retirement Benefits
Jul 10, 2010

My aunt is 63, still working, uncle 66, still working PT but receiving full SS benefits.  He has recently been diagnosed with cancer.  If he dies, and my aunt keeps working (she is working for the medical insurance), will she receive his death benefit, and will it be the same amout.  She is worried about this, well in advance (we hope) and I just wanted to ease her mind a little.  Thank you. ...

Social Security And Progressive Part Time
May 23, 2013

Thinking of taking early SS and cutting hours so I would not make much more than the 15,000 you are allowed on SS.  That way I would still be eligible for insurance until I am old enough for Medicare. Has anyone else done this or know any pros and cons about that progressive part time thing?  TIA ...

Does Anyone Know If A Person Can Collect Social Security And Unemployment?
Jan 07, 2014

I have an email out to a friend with this question also.  She was laid off and had already applied for social security early.  Haven't heard back yet. ...

Filing For Early Social Security/Working Part-time
Apr 07, 2012

Anyone here working part-time and receiving early Social Security benefits? I am considering doing this in the next year and wondering if anyone else is already doing so. Thoughts?  I've been working full-time since the age of 18 years and part-time before that, with only a 6-month period of time between jobs, but was collecting severance pay those 6 months. So, I really feel I deserve to get back some of the money I've put into Social Security over the last 4-1/2 d ...

Very Frustrated!! I Have Been Trying To Apply
Jun 23, 2013

to apply for a position, but the online application keeps telling me to give distinct answers, which I did and it then tells me to correct the errors, which there were none.  Can someone help me past this? ...

Haha....
Apr 03, 2013

Listening to oldies while I work, and work is rather low today.  So what song comes on?  "Get a Job" (you 50-60-ish people will probably remember that).  I think it's rather appropo! ...

Haha....so I'm Listening To The Oldies Radio While I'm Working.....
Jun 03, 2013

.....and guess what song comes on......"Get a Job" LOL!!!! ...

Security
Oct 22, 2012

I am looking into transcribing for a doctor from 1000 miles away.  I currently work in his office but will be moving.  He is concerned about the security of his files during transfer and also when they get on my computer...("How can I be sure my files are secure once they are on your computer?").  Does anyone have any recommendations/suggestions for this situation? Thanks everyone. ...

Example Of MT Job Security With SR
Dec 05, 2012

Dictated: "His story starts in Ohio." SR: "His story starts in high heels." ...

Absolutely No Idea...HELP!
Oct 19, 2009

He had an abdominal ultrasound, which showed reverse lerndalytes and left guaddle veins. ...

HELP! I Have Absolutely No Clue What This Could Be.
Nov 12, 2009

This is a cardiologist dictating a med list.  He spells it out as OTROCEFF.  I tried changing the ceff to ceph tihnking the pt just sounded it out but no go.  Any ideas at all? I am completely stumped here.   ...

I AM ABSOLUTELY FLABBERGASTED.
Feb 18, 2010

Just had a doctor dictate that he told a young woman not to tell her sexual partners that she is HIV positive unless somebody wants to seriously marry her.  He told her just to ask them to wear a condom.  If they wanted to know why a condom, he told her to tell them it was a good idea for everybody to use them with all the diseases that are out there now.  Maybe I'm wayyyyy tooooo old, but I couldn't believe that a doctor was giving a young woman this advice.  ...

If You Absolutely Had To Choose ..help! ..sm
Jul 18, 2012

I've been looking for weeks.  The hospital I've been IC with for years is getting rid of all ICs - going totally VR and keeping only their existing employees.  I've tried to be very selective, looking for that great little company somewhere that would treat me with a little respect and value my years of experience.  Well, now I'm to the point that I need to start bringing in a paycheck ASAP.  I've been offered both M-Modal and Nuance - which were my v ...

Is TransTech Absolutely
Jan 25, 2013

I see they are advertising again.  I told them I'd take their test if they would tell me their line rate which they were nice enough to do (the lousy industry "standard"  8/4).  Worse than what I make now, so I had to pass, as I am trying to escape this crap job altogether.  Can anyone give me a  reason why I might try to get on with them if I were to change my mind? Thanks.      ...

I Absolutely Refuse
May 09, 2015

I absolutely Refuse to do any more VR for less than what straight typing pays. Find another Sucker to fix your jacked up reports. This is not worth my time, I am an Educated Professional.  Do not take advantage of me, I will Not sell myself short! Note to transcription companies:  Speech recognition is Not ready for medical or legal reports. It is more suited for personal or small business use at this point. Continue to push this VR crap and you will lose the good scribes.  Wha ...

"No Pasta Megaly" -haha
Jan 05, 2012

Anyone Who Uses Your PC For MT Work, Do You Have A Security Program On It?
Jan 01, 2011

What I mean is,  if your company has any type of keystroke or time monitoring software on there. If you use your own computer for personal use and have banking records or other misc on there,  do you have a program that locks out the company software, only allowing them to monitor their own stuff and not yours?     Is there even such a program?    I need one.    Thanks. ...

Is Security The Real Concern?
Feb 17, 2011

How of HIPAA compliance yields profitable partnerships? I guess a lot of emphases given to HIPAA compliance is truly justified, especially in the case of outsourcing. The thrust on confidentiality and security of patient records grows manifold when it's done across 7 seas. ...

Some Employers Are Absolutely Hateful!
Dec 22, 2011

It was not bad enough for them to let me go without any kind of notice, but now they will not tell DHS how long I worked for them so I can get food stamps!!  Thanks DSG!!! ...

Absolutely Ridiculous!! I Just Got Chewed Out By QA
May 07, 2012

for putting potassium was 216.  She said patient safety is an issue here.  I said ok.  I mean with the crap pay I get, they cannot expect me to memorize normal values in anything!!  That is what QA is for, for one thing.  For another, if that is what the dr said or even what it sounded like, that is on HIS shoulders!!  What a crappy job to have!! ...

A Matter Of National Security?
Sep 28, 2012

With the nature of world affairs and US relations such as they are, I can't help but think how wrong it is for companies in general, but specifically MTSOs, to be sending highly sensitive information overseas the way they do. It scares me to think about my social security number, date of birth, address, etc. being handled by someone who doesn't necessarily feel the sense that they must protect that information. Maybe instead of complaining about how much work is being offshored, we s ...

Okay, Now I Am 6 Hours Into My Shift With Absolutely Nothing (sm)
Jan 30, 2013

and now I'm wondering if they threw me a bone yesterday just to leave me to starve today.  I have been checking every 10 to 15 minutes in between doing things around the house.  Thanks MM, since I had no work, I did get a chance to have lunch with my son who only had a half day of school today!  ...

Absolutely No Motivation For This Job Anymore.
Mar 20, 2015

After 21 years of doing transcription, yes starting with a typewriter, I have no will left to do this job. After searching other companies, it seems the industry is in the toilet. We are at the mercy of companies like Nuance because in-house transcription is a thing of the past. I woke up this morning and realized in the last 16 years I have come full circle, 7 cpl when starting at home, and now most likely back to 7 cpl with this new grid. I don't even see the point in arguing over the QC% ...

Check With Your State's Unemployment Security
Oct 07, 2010

I just found out that by law, MQ was supposed to file a claim with unemployment FOR me because my hours have been cut so much due to NJA. It is the LAW.  In my state, it is the only way to get partial unemployment.    ...

F5 Client Look Up Security Certificate Outdated?
Nov 08, 2010

I just signed on to work and needed to look up a Client Profile to double-check their protocol.  I get this message from windows with a big alert that the site I am trying to connect to their Certificate of Security has expired??? Say What???? I had to pick a choice to go to the site and windows did not want me to do it saying my computer could be corrupted, etc.  I did get to the profile, but what the heck does this mean??? Is it just me or has Medquist forgot to refile something?&nbs ...

So Torn That I'm Absolutely A Wreck! Need Advice Please.
May 19, 2012

I've been reading these boards for years, and have never posted. But I'm desperate for some advice. I have worked for years at a very small company as an IC and absolutely loved it. Unfortunately, life events threw me a curve and I was forced to find an employee-status job. I thought I landed THE best opportunity. I have been with Accentus for a few months and absolutely hate it. I WANT soooooooo badly to like it and make it work, as I do believe it is one of the better companies out ...