A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Non-MT Job Offer - Unionized, but...

Posted: Mar 29, 2013

...Okay, I'm not here to start a fight about union vs non-union, but I was just offered a non-MT job at a hospital that has a union, and I am anti-union.  When she told me that it was a union position, my jaw dropped.  She must have seen the look on my face, because she told me that since this is Florida, we don't HAVE to join the union or pay dues or anything like that.  My face brightened up right away.

SO, if you are not pro-union be SURE to ask if the state you live in requires you to join if you don't want to.  I don't know if it's just a FL thing (she called it the Right to Work Act, something like that) or other states have it, but make sure you check.

If you are offererd a union position and you are pro-union, make SURE you ask how much the dues will be and all sorts of other questions. In fact, I would get a whole pamphlet to see what the consequences are if you choose to work during a strike, or whatever else. Then you can make an informed decision.

That's nice - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
You're lucky you have that option, to go union or non. In my state we don't.

I've passed up jobs before because I refuse to join a union for mainly 2 reasons: I don't appreciate the fact that my dues would go to fund the 6 figure salaries of union leaders. I also don't agree with my union dues being funneled to politicians/political causes that I don't necessarily agree with.

Me Too - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm the OP, and you summed it up perfectly for me. I was soooo happy when the interviewer told me that no one is required to join if they don't want to. I sighed a big sigh of relief.

I honestly didn't want to react one way or the other when she said "union job," but I think I must have because she chimed in pretty quickly about not being required to join. LOL. Guess I wouldn't make a good poker player.

Political acuses you don't agree with...like a living wage? - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
There is a direct correlation between declining union membership and stagnant/dropping wages. If not for unions, we would be living in a complete corporatocracy, and that would be a disaster.

that's causes not acuses - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Unions - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
For me, the "benefits" of joining a union will always be outweighed by the negatives.

I think the real issue is that no one should be Forced to join a group.

I'd be interested in seeing your statistical data/proof about "a direct correlation between declining union membership and stagnant/dropping wages."
No, the real issue is balancing power between workers/mgmt - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
and thereby keeping wages up. No union, no bargaining power. It's that simple.

"being forced to join a group" is IMO just more "don't tread on me" individualist propaganda - Tea Party style - that supports concentration of wealth in hands of few at the expense of the majority.
So what you're saying - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Just so I'm clear on your point.. you think that unions should be across the board and that individual workers should not have freedom of choice whether or not to join?

Union - Addison

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not sure about other unions here in NJ, but I know that teachers here don't have to JOIN the union, but they still HAVE to pay union dues even if they don't. Makes no sense to me, and I think it should be illegal. Gov. Christie once said that it's like the Hotel California. "You can check out any time you want, but you can never leave". LOL

Yup. Not Fair At All - Almost Communistic-nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xxx

Do you think $11/hour is fair pay for teachers? - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
Teacher unions exist to keep wages up for teachers, as well as work against ballooning class sizes, ensure adequate resources in the classroom, etc.

I know teachers, nonunion, private school, who get $11/hour - they are educated and certified, and they make what an administrative assistant with very little responsibility and very little experience makes. I think teachers, responsible for educating young people, future generations and all that, deserve a heck of a lot more than $11/hour. Teacher unions ensure that happens.

Another point - On the fence

[ In Reply To ..]
However, non-union employees (those who choose not to join) benefit from the higher wages and better benefit package that the union members and representatives negotiated for everyone; you reap the benefits without having to do anything, think about it.

She was quick to tell you that "good" news becase she is - FBL

[ In Reply To ..]
management.

Are you talking about me... - The OP?

[ In Reply To ..]
If you're talking about me who is happy not to have to join the union and/or pay union dues, I am NOT management and did not apply for a management position. I applied for a job to be a patient sitter (you all who do acute care MT know what that is).

No, I mean the person who offered you the job and then said you don't have - FBL

[ In Reply To ..]
to join the union.
Well, she didn't make it up! - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
xx
Who said she did? I live in Florida and am quite familiar with the RTW laws. - FBL
[ In Reply To ..]
I was just providing a possible reason why the job offerer would be quick to point out that a potential employee would not have to join the union.

Why all the sensitivity?

my opinion on unions - MTMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I think that a long time ago, unions were a good thing. Workers were being exploited and the unions came along and helped eliminate that. But here's the thing. Now there are laws to protect the workers from having to work 12 hour days without a break, etc. We no longer need unions for that.

I also believe the unions got too big and greedy and the union bosses are now more interested in keeping their jobs and their pockets lined than they are in the workers.

Another thing I don't like about unions is that they set wages for everyone. So the person who is lazy makes just as much as the person who works really hard, and that hard worker can't get a raise based on their hard work; they have to remain in the union scale.

Here's an interesting tidbit. Do you know how the 8-hour workday was created? It wasn't a union... it was Henry Ford...and he gave his workers a big raise... it was NOT a union that did that. He helped create the middle class by paying his workers enough to purchase the cars they built.

Henry Ford - On the fence

[ In Reply To ..]
...Fought labor unions tooth and nail until the day he died. The assembly lines were brutal, and workers did not automatically earn the wages he "promised," they had to meet incentives. He promised those wages because many workers couldn't stand the working conditions and quit, they had to hire 1,000 workers to find 100 who could stick it out. If you want to look at how assembly line, production pay got started, look no further. Henry Ford also froze out private investors until he and his family were the only ones who owned stock in Ford Motor Company. I'm not saying any of this was necessarily bad, but don't paint him as a hero to the working man until you know the entire story.

Yes! - Thank you-see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
There was indeed a time when we needed unions. Most places now try to do their best with wages to keep one from coming in.

I am thanking you, because it makes me sick that lazy people still get their huge wages. It makes me sick that teachers who have molested children don't get fired--they just "get relocated." That's a union thing.

You all who are against corporate making tons of money, riddle me this: Um, your union leaders don't? Ahem. And, as long as we're here, so what you're saying is this: The company you work for wants a state-of-the-art gym built and you don't. So, I guess you want to pay for that?

When the union - golden oldie

[ In Reply To ..]
Can prevent US jobs from being shipped overseas because they have driven wages and benefits packages so high that it's cheaper for goods to be manufactured overseas and shipped, then I may consider joining a union. And that doesn't even count the unreasonable protections they provide for the mediocre and often barely competent worker at the expense of the good worker.
I Think... - See Msg
[ In Reply To ..]
People don't really understand what a union does. They tend to glorify it. Like, "they are for the little guy." No, they're not. They are for lining their 6-figure salaries with YOUR union dues and keeping people on the work force who are not worth their salt. Hence, putting some very good companies out of business.

A lot of corporations have gotten smart and do everything they can to keep a union OUT. They pay their employees wel, give them regular raises, etc.

Of course, the MTSOs do not do that, but that's another story.
Exactly how much are these "6 figure" salaries and who exactly is - FBL
[ In Reply To ..]
getting them? How does it compare to any high-level corporate executive, or to leaders of political action committees, or other groups like the NRA? BTW, local union leaders (known as BAs or Business Agents) make the same union scale as the workers.
Sweet home Chicago - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
It's easy enough to research this on your own, but here's a small taste.

http://illinoispolicy.org/blog/blog.asp?ArticleSource=5045

Here's a cut and paste from a Chicago Trib article about Karen Lewis, current pres of the CTU, that I will also link too. I'm putting it here because the information down the article a bit.

"In 2010, Lewis defeated Marilyn Stewart, vaulting from the rank and file to union president.

Teachers union officials declined to provide information on Lewis' salary. But Stewart made $211,119 in 2009, her final full year in office. Lewis took over as president for part of 2010, and was paid $71,330 by the teachers union that year, records indicate.

Lewis also is eligible for compensation from the Illinois Federation of Teachers, and in 2011 she was paid $64,157 by that group, records indicate."

Rough estimate of Karen Lewis' compensation = $135,487

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-09-11/news/ct-met-teachers-strike-karen-lewis-20120911_1_chicago-teachers-union-union-president-chemistry-teacher
$135K is not unreasonable to me...comparable to - FBL
[ In Reply To ..]
mid-level corporate execs in Chicago, I would think.

You did remind me of another point...union leaders are elected by the membership, and do not write their own compensation packages. Those who choose not to join are also choosing not to participate in the process.

BTW, I am not and have never been a union member; I just recognize their historical and current value to the American workforce. If I am ever hired by a "union shop" I will join without hesitation.

Headed out for the day now, so will be AFK. Have a Happy Easter, everyone!
Happy Easter! - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
6-Figure Salary - Addison
[ In Reply To ..]
How about the leader of the NJEA (NJ teacher's union)? He makes $550,000, which is paid for by the teachers with their dues. The difference between the salaries of a union leader compared to a corporate bigwig is that money isn't physically taken out of each employee's paycheck and given to the CEO like it is to a union leader.
The only thing I remember the NJEA doing for teachers here in NJ is letting thousands of teachers lose their jobs, thereby increasing classroom sizes. The governor wanted the teachers to take a pay freeze for 1 year, but they refused and made their members and the students suffer instead. Many student programs were also cut due to their selfishness. BTW, my sister is a teacher here. http://www.theblaze.com/blog/2010/09/15/head-of-new-jersey-teachers-union-makes-550000year/
My Point Exactly - Bad Thing
[ In Reply To ..]
Yep. Unions are just bad, bad. Period. They allow the most horrible of teachers stay on the job, crooked teachers stay on the job, molester teachers stay on the job, etc. It's called tenure. You can't fire a teacher to save your life.

I totally am NOT against teachers! We need teachers! But we don't need bad teachers. The worst of the worst are REQUIRED (because of the damn union) to stay on board.
Bad Teachers - Addison
[ In Reply To ..]
My sister works with 3 teachers who make over $90,000/year, who spent the majority of their days hiding in the bathroom and sometimes not even in the school, leaving their assistants to teach their classes. Of course, nothing can be done because they're tenured.

This is a real slap in the face to the taxpayers because, I don't know what it's like where everyone else lives, but in NJ, the taxpayers pay the teacher's salaries and the majority of their benefits through their property taxes (10% of a teacher's salary goes towards their benefits). Then when they retire, the taxpayer foots the bill for their health insurance, as well as their SPOUSE'S health insurance for the rest of their lives. I believe that's why so many people in NJ decide to become teachers because of the free health insurance. And don't get me started on their pensions!

My property taxes are $8,000/per year, and $5,000 goes towards the school system. I have a 50 x 100 lot and my house is only 1500 square feet. So because the union makes sure that the teachers get a great raise (even the ones who don't deserve it) and great benefit package, that causes my income to decrease.
Losing Battle - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Those who don't support unions can't win. Unfortunately, most don't seem to care that their kids can get molested and the teacher still gets to keep teaching---albeit another district, but they can't get fired.

I have my right to choose NOT to work for an organization that promotes/allows abuse/molestation. Period.
molesting teachers? - nana
[ In Reply To ..]
Where are you getting this teachers can molest children and move to another district? Do you not have laws where you live? If a teacher molests children they get prosecuted and go to prison just like anyone else. Unions do not protect against prosecution. As a parent if my child was molested I definitely would make sure that teacher was prosecuted to the fullest, go to prison, hence, no more teaching. Next you will be blaming unions for murders not getting a tough enough sentence. How can't they get fired. The union does not condone illegal actions and they definitely do not protect the offenders.

You sit on this site complaining of how our wages have gone to the dogs and pretty much working for free, well what do you think unions do, they protect your income, fight for living wages something we used to have but now we don't. We don't get paid for knowledge and we don't get paid for experience. I have 20 years of knowledge and experience and make the same as someone just out of school. Is that right?

I understand if you are against unions and that is your right, but there is no need to lie about them. Show me the proof where a teacher molested a child and "just moved to another district."
My Point Is - see msg
[ In Reply To ..]
That things get swept under the rug. I'm not in a court of law, so I don't have to prove anything. I probably should have said that there are very likely times when there isn't enough evidence to prosecute, there are just suspicions. Those teachers keep their jobs. It's almost impossible to get a teacher fired.

Okay, forget the molesting thing. The teacher can be a bad teacher, not teach your kid a darn thing, and still get the high union wages and not get fired. Does that work? That to me is bad enough right there. Then you have teachers who work their butts off, truly have an interest in the children and make the same amount as the one who is not doing his or her job. I think that's disgusting in and of itself. And that hard worker may not WANT go to on strike for more money, but he or she is forced to. Maybe that teacher is actually happy with his or her wage and loves her job for what it is, not to see how much more they can suck out of the educational system.
I totally agree - well said
[ In Reply To ..]
No logic in this country anymore.
Nobody Gets It - See Msg
[ In Reply To ..]
The Union rules. I don't want a dictatorship where I work (our country is already heading that way), and gosh darn if some bumb teacher or anyone else is not doing their job, why should they get paid just as much as me?
Which corporations are those? - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
And by your own logic, unions DO keep wages up - because corporate fear of unions CAUSES THEM to pay good wages, give regular wages - why - because they want to, out of the good of their hearts?

NO. They want to KEEP UNIONS OUT.

So your own example proves the pro-union argument! Thank you and have a nice day.
another story? Really? - nana
[ In Reply To ..]
Why is that another story? That is the reason unions were created. I worked for a hospital where we didn't have a union, and there is a hospital 30 miles away that has a union for their transcription department. They made $4.00 more per hour to start, paid for experience and when our department was outsourced theirs was not. Why do you think that is?

Second, my son-in-law works for GM (General Motors) and last year he made $75,000. Does not pay a penny for his benefits. He only has a high school diploma. Before you say it, I will answer the question for you. No General Motors did not file bankrupcy because of employee pay. They had to file bankrupcy because their upper management was so out of touch with what kind of cars people wanted. While people were buying cars and trucks with better gas mileage, they were still making gas guzzlers. And when Obama made top management leave they were still given their big, fat compensation package. That was not due to the union.

Yes there are issues with the union, like protecting bad workers and such, so because of that get rid of them. Thats like throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Now if you were offered a job making that much money would you turn it down because of the union? Really. I went to college and can't come close to making that amount of money.

Wish I could work for a union. I would for sure be making much better money.
Yes, I would turn down - A union job
[ In Reply To ..]
I do not support unions political ideologies, and they've become a horrible thing. So, I would not work at a high-paying job if I had to join a union or put into paying union dues.

I'd rather be scrounging for every dollar than be required to join a union.
Union - Addison
[ In Reply To ..]
My father-in-law was a union member. He always told my husband to do as little as possible and work very slowly because otherwise they'll give you more work to do and want you to work even faster. He also told my husband to take frequent breaks during the workday. That line of thinking almost got my husband fired from his first job (non union, of course). Now 30 years later, his hard work has gotten my husband a supervisor position.
I Know - Not Good
[ In Reply To ..]
Working for a union actually teaches very poor work ethic. If someone is in a union job and the company goes "under," they have no clue how to work non-union. And since they expect $100,000 per year to screw a few bolts into a car door, they're in for a wicked surprise when they actually just get paid for what they're worth.

Sorry, folks, but I'm guessing GM could have afforded to make a more "today" car if they hadn't been paying all those extreme salaries? It costs a lot of money to hire designers and engineers to come up with a different car, but I guess all their money went to the ridiculously high wages.

Similar Messages:

I Got A Job Offer!
Jan 17, 2010

Haven't even completely finished school, tested for a part time IC position, and I got the job offer today! It can be done, ****! *** Stop with the snide remarks toward experienced MTs who do not share your point of view for this career.   Moderator *** ...

Offer
Dec 07, 2010

hypertype:  Straight VR - 0.6 cents/line, IC status with 10.00 licensing fee every 2 weeks. Mostly ER. Good offer? or bad offer? ...

Job Offer At TTS ?
Sep 19, 2012

Have an offer,not sure though. Would love to hear from others who work there and in the know. How is their QA done, weekly, monthly, every 3 months like where I work now or just how. Do you think the QA is there, fair, critical, just anything I could find out would be nice.  ...

Does Anyone Know What Companies Offer
Nov 12, 2009

Kaiser insurance besides MedQuist?  I want to leave MedQuist but I love my Kaiser insurance.  Please help.  TIA. ...

I Got A Job Offer! - UPDATE
Feb 13, 2010

I am updating, like I said I would.  I'm still working, and I LOVE the job!  Granted, the pay isn't where I would like it to be yet, but it gets better every day, because my line count gets higher every day!  Thanks to those of you who encouraged and supported me during the hiring process! ...

GOT A BETTER OFFER FROM WAL-MART
Feb 18, 2010

Well after being in this business for almost 20 years, I have decided it's time to hang up the keyboard,  as a single person I can no longer support myself as a medical transcriptionist.  This is not even a good part-time job anymore.  I have worked for more companies than I cared to admit, suffered through intolerable divas as team leads, gestapo QA, constant nip picking on where a comma goes, or a verb, and had my cpl reduced from what started out at 13 cpl to 0.0350 cpl.&n ...

Taking More Than 1 Offer
Mar 15, 2010

I have 2 job offers from 2 different companies, but both of these companies are fairly large and have multiple posts with complaints that there is just not enough work for everyone. Would it be possible to take both offers, on the chance that if one doesn't have work the other will? I might be kinda screwed if they both have a lot of work, but it might be worth it to see how both will work out without closing any doors. Has anyone done this before? Is it possible to run 2 companies differen ...

Offer From Medquist
Mar 19, 2010

Wow.  I was just offered a job by MQ.  I politely asked if the 'rumors' were true about being docked for sending reports to QA.  I was informed that if you are supposed to do 6,000 lines a week and 300 lines total come to QA, then yes you would be docked 3 cents per line.  If you are part-time with 4,000 line a week and 200 lines total came to QA, then you would be docked.  I politely said that I would have to decline.  BUT, if you feel that even QA canno ...

Job Offer From Transolutions
Jun 09, 2010

I have a job offer from Transolutions, but I have a couple of questions.   I use Instant Text and I need to know if their platform is compatible with it.  This would definitely be a dealbreaker for me.   The opinions of the company I read on this board were not very favorable -- slow speech rec program,  too much speech rec, etc.  But all the opinions were at least 2 years old.  Is there any more current information out there?   The pay scale is very enticing, but if the ...

Need Advice On Job Offer
Jun 24, 2010

I'm considering an offer from a national company of around 8.75 cents straight typing and around 5.5 for VR. This would be for a full-time position and I have over 10 years experience (but none with VR).  I'm currently on unemployment earning around $1500 a month. My normal production of straight typing is around 150-200 lph.  With this info., should it be a problem to earn more than what I'm currently making on unemployment? I'm afraid to make the change as once I ...

Ooooh Job Offer
Oct 01, 2010

Just got a "job offer" e-mail.  I can make $225/day working for e-bay auctions!!!! Why am I still doing MT????? NOT!!!! ...

MQ Offer Me A Job Last Week...
Jun 14, 2011

MQ offered me a full-time position last week, after all the testing, but after reading this board, with all the firings and lawsuit, and outsourcing, I don't know if I want to work for them! Is there any reason not to work for them? I would appreciate any input. Thank you. ...

UNIWORK ANYONE? Job Offer......
Apr 22, 2011

Anyone heard of Uniwork? Clue me in please????? ...

Offer For Job With Medquist
Jun 06, 2011

Hi all, I was just offered a postiion and was wondering how the company is? Any advice good or bad would be helpful. Thanks ...

I Just Got A Job Offer With Nuance
Jul 27, 2011

I am an MT with 20+ years experience and switched careers a year ago when our hospital's Transcription Department was eliminated and all transcription was outsourced. I am currently working full-time as a secretary but am looking for part-time MT work to supplement my income as most of my wages are going towards my family's health insurance. I was hoping for 10-15 hours per week, but 20 hours are required and I'm not sure I can handle 12-hour days between both jobs. Does ...

Job Offer For Probity
Aug 09, 2011

I just had a job offer for Probity.  I am considering it, but before I accepted I emailed them with a question about if there is steady work and still have had no response.  I am on unemployment benefits, so if I take their job and then there is not steady work and if I have to quit, I cannot get my benefits back.  So, it's a delicate decision.  Is anyone working for them who can tell me anything about them....good or bad?  Thank you. ...

MQ Job Offer Today
Dec 07, 2011

MQ has scheduled an offer phone call for me today.  I am kind of scared.  I have many years into MT and thought I might as well since they will someday employ me through buyouts anyway.  Is there any good reasons why I should accept the job.  Or should I avoid the call and just keep sending out resumes.  Please if there is anything good to say now is the time because I am 50/50 on taking the chance. Thanks. ...

Is This A Good Offer?
Dec 15, 2011

Is .11/65 ct line good or bad? TAI ...

What Companies Offer
Jan 15, 2012

401ks--preferably with a match?  Anyone know?  Thanks. ...

Disappointing Offer-sm
Apr 11, 2012

I lost my job a few months ago.  I started applying, testing, waiting to hear from companies.  I did get hired this week part-time for VRE work and it pays peanuts.  A second company was interested in me and I went through testing, filling out tons of paperwork, phone calls and waiting.  They offered me a job as an MT and also VRE.  The offer is so disappointing!  I have a lot of experience but that does not seem to count for anything with them.  The wages are ...

SoftScript Job Offer
Oct 11, 2012

Was planning to go to work for SS.  Posts here make me very nervous.  Are they maybe just disgruntled employees?  Help, honesty please. ...

Softscript - Got A Job Offer
Nov 27, 2012

Hi - Got a job offer from them and wanted to know if anyone here has had experience with this company and did/do you like them.  Been with my current company for a long time now and am hesitant to leave, but VR has put a huge dent in my paycheck and SS says they don't do VR... Thanks in advance! ...

I Have An Offer From Keystrokes
Jan 04, 2013

I have an offer from Keystrokes.  They are paying 7 cpl.  Any current or former workers?  I currently work for Nuance/Transcend. Please respond soon; I need to make a decision before Monday. Thanks in advance. ...

Got A Job Offer At Probity
Feb 04, 2013

I got a job offer at Probity.  The pay has an incentive built in for anything over 5000 lines per pay period.  Does anyone know what the pay period is?  It doesn't say and am waiting for resonse from recruiting.  Also, it is for a 6 hour shift.  Is that normal.  I was hoping for 8. Is eligibility for benefits based on line count or hours worked?  Any advice would be helpful on this company. Thanks ...

Very Strange Job Offer
Sep 18, 2013

Just got an unsolicited email from "At Once" transcription company.  Said they had reviewed my resume and seem to be a good fit and to call for an interview.  They listed their address, etc..... Signed by - person to call to set up interview.  On line, there is no company called At Once listed when googled.  I know I didn't send ANYONE a resume in quite a while.  WT is this?!?!   ...

Coding Offer
Mar 13, 2014

I just wanted to wish all of you good luck if you get the offer and want to take the test for the coding class.  We all have to decide what is best for ourselves.  I really hope this is a postive offer.  I understand totally how so many of us feel stuck where we are because our workload and pay have changed so much.  As others have advised, I would definitely get all the answers.  Unfortunately in the medical transcription world we feel we are fighting just to be ab ...

Starting Pay Offer?
Apr 24, 2014

As an experienced MT, would you take a job that started at 7 cpl? I don't know if this is the norm now, but I have interviewed for 5 jobs this week, none of which have offered more than this. One of the jobs sounded great, but I am terrified to take it because of this 7 cpl offer. She said there was no wiggle room, so I can't ask if they'd consider going up a little. I have 10 years of experience and have been at the same job for 8 years.  Other than considering going off on ...

IMEDat Offer?
May 15, 2014

Had along conversation (meeting) with the HR person or possibly owner regarding this company and what they had to offer.  I was STUNNED.  (By the way, none of her seeker posts have the ability to post a reply only to post through email - does she not want others posting their shock as to her offer?  She has a new account that many MTs will be "off QA in a couple of weeks".  Timeframes in this business are never absolute and can get extended infinitely. In the meantime all MTs still on Q ...

I Have An Offer From Accentus
Jun 12, 2014

I have an offer from Accentus. I like the flexibility they offer, but I also have an offer from Breitner. Any feedback on these two? Thanks. ...

Did Anyone Take Them Up On The Offer Of OT This Weekend?
Sep 29, 2014

Sorry, not worth it to me.... ...