A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Trying to change jobs for the first time... need advice! - anon

Posted: Jan 19, 2011

I am in the process of trying to find a new job. I have been working at my current job for 4 months. This was my first job, so I am a little nervous when it comes to giving notice. I am worried that they might try to keep me because, as far as I can tell, they will have a significant overflow on my accounts if I do leave. I really like my job and accounts, but I do not have anywhere near enough work, and the schedule is not working for me anymore. I am worried about what they will do if I try to leave - for example, if they make false promises and tempt me to stay, then I miss out on a better opportunity, or if they get angry or pushy. I don't even know if anything like this happens, but I am a little anxious about the whole thing. I would really appreciate any advice or personal stories you can give!

Standard advice for this-have another job going before you - leave the 1st job. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Oh yes, I do not plan on giving notice until I have another job - anon

[ In Reply To ..]

Change jobs - Frustrated

[ In Reply To ..]
Just my advice here. If you can possibly hang on there until you have been there at least 6 months, it would look better on your resume'. This being your first job, the longer you can stick it out the better. There are MTs with 10-25 years' experience looking elsewhere as well, so there is a lot of competition for jobs. I have been doing this almost 10 years and had to grit my teeth and endure my first job for 1-1/2 years.

Good point. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I agree about the resume thing, but... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
as far as my current job, I am making less than $200 a month

I know that I am a newbie, but that does not mean that my quality of work is any less than someone with 25 years of experience. I know that experience does make a difference in some cases, but if an individual completes a good MT program, studies very hard, and (most importantly) knows how to efficiently use reference materials, she can be just as good as anyone else. I like to think that I have my skills on my side because I test very well. I know a lot of companies won't hire me due to experience, but there are a few that mainly look at how you test.

stay on part-time if you can - passinthru

[ In Reply To ..]
When I left my last job, I stayed on that job part-time agreeing to make x number of lines per day, which usually took me approximately 1-2 hours to do. (I was an IC, so I threw out a number I felt I could handle and they accepted.) I signed on full-time with another company and once I became established with them, familiar with the accounts, and got my speed up, I stayed on with the first place for a while for the extra $$$ and then eventually left on good terms. If you feel you can handle some extra work in addition to the new job, it might be worth it to work both for the experience and the extra pay. Good luck!

Get 2nd job, keep 1st job for as long as possible so - you can pad your resume. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Overtime Because Of The Time Clock Time Zone Change?
Feb 06, 2011

It has been inconvenient, and maybe a bit confusing at times, to check my time card hours for my shift as, because of my time zone, part of my hours show up on the next day because I work 2nd shift. I wonder if I will get overtime for yesterday, even though I did not work overtime. I had to start work several hours early because of maintenance, so all hours were completed before the hour my hours start showing up on the next day. Fine. But the last couple hours of yesterday show up as today, ...

The New MQ Time Clock Time Zone Change
Jan 04, 2011

is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.  Like I'm going to remember 6 months from now to ask for my PTO in CST time when I am in EST time zone.  MQ is the screwiest company I have ever worked for. ...

Change From Full- Time To Part- Time.
Sep 10, 2012

I am still debating whether to enroll at Andrews or M-TEC.  My husband is retiring in 2 years and I want to be able to work part-time after that.  Is it realistic to think that I can complete the course at Andrews or M-TEC in 12 months at the most, work full time for a year and then part-time after that.  I would want to be able to work from home.  I guess the other question is "How long after graduating could I expect to earn enough to make it worth the investment, in a reas ...

2 Jobs That Will Never Be Offshored...if You Want A Career Change
Jan 29, 2010

Makes sense to me; I'd opt to be an electrician (if I can't get on disability). Automotive technicians and mechanics repair and maintain automobiles and light trucks. Motorists need these services near their homes and businesses, meaning this hands-on work would be pretty hard for someone in another country to do. So rest easy. This job is staying close to home.  Training is a 6-month or 1-year automotive repair certificate program or a 2-year associate degree program.& ...

I Need Help With Stupid Split Jobs. When Did It Change From Old Way? Sm
Apr 21, 2011

I can't believe I have not had a split job since new changes to DQS, but today I have a split job.  I did what I thought was the correct way and had cursor where it should be.  Asked for split, then yes, and oh my heavens.  I cannot get anything of the other original to pull up and NO ADT info will even load.  Sorry I had to break this, and I have sent a message to my QA Sup to help this very old dog.   Does anyone else get totally confused on how they changed ...

Did You Ever Change Jobs And Realize You Made A Mistake?
Apr 13, 2011

I recently left a company after four years because the grass seemed greener elsewhere, has anyone ever done this and then realized right away it was a huge mistake?  I feel guilty after the company has trained me and worked with me for almost two weeks but I am so miserable, any suggestions or advice of what to do? ...

Time Change
Nov 07, 2010

Does anyone know what we are supposed to do on graveyard during the time change? My CCM is on vacation, and this is my first time on graveyard during the time change.  Any info is appreciated! ...

Don't Forget Time Change!
Mar 10, 2012

Spring forward tonight/wee early hours tomorrow! ...

Change Professions Everyone - It's Time - Here's How I Did It
May 31, 2013

I started medical transcription 16 years ago - all excited and thrilled to be able to work at home.  I made $20 to $25 an hour.  It allowed me to stay home with my children and still have a good income.  16 years ago, the starting rate per line was - .06 per line.  Which is now STILL the starting rate for many companies.  A few lucky old souls out there may get .09 or even .10 a line.  However, when I started, all we did was straight typing.  No pasting notes, ...

Did They Change The Way To Request Leave On The Time Sheet
May 06, 2012

Cant figure out how to get the leave req in...Gonna be one of those days again ...

You Do Know It Kicks Me Offline Every Time You Change My Pool Midstream?
Mar 11, 2015

...and just not care that whole documents get lost mid transmission. I mean you DO understand the consequences, right, Nuance? ...

Two Full-time Jobs
Nov 28, 2011

I was interested in finding out whether anyone else does work two full-time jobs.   I am considering doing this because of how slow my other accounts get sometimes (I know they are overstaffed).  Just wondered how possible it is to do this, both in terms of time and wear and tear on you physicallly transcribing this much.   Anyone who does this that can give me some input or advice??  TIA ...

Jobs Downloading Only 1 At A Time
Jan 15, 2013

Anyone else working the TE++ account or any account for that matter have their downloaded jobs go from downloading 2 at a time to only 1 at a time with no explanation? ...

Worn Out Looking For Part-time Jobs
Jun 07, 2010

I've been looking for a part-time at-home medical transcriptionist job and there seem to be hardly any part-time at-home jobs, they all seem to require acute care hospital experience that I don't have, and have required very odd hours.  I do have 13 years of clinic experience.  I feel like giving up on medical transcription and doing something else.  I also have secretarial/office experience and I am looking part-time for that also, but it's been very difficult.&nbs ...

Part Time Jobs With Health Insurance?
Aug 29, 2010

Does anyone know of companies who give health ins to part timers? I know Walmart does after 1 year on the job. I'm desperate, can't afford the Cobra premium. Thanks. ...

Feel Guilty When Applying For Part-time Jobs
Dec 10, 2013

I'll leave them as soon as a full-time position opens up.  I'm trying to exit the MT field, so I am applying and sending resumes for Unit Secretary positions, Patient Registrar positions, Specimen Processor positions, etc.  Right now, it looks like I will be simultaneously applying for a part-time position as well as a full-time position.  There's a daytime office cleaning position I am thinking about applying for tomorrow morning, and there is a full-time family pr ...

NJA, Same Time As Last Night. Jobs "outsourced" Maybe? Nm
Jun 02, 2010

Timing just seems odd, about the time of start of business on other side of the world. ...

Just Another Vent About Jobs, No Jobs, Requirement Of Jobs, Etc.
Aug 18, 2010

It is insulting to all of us with the way that MT pay has gone down the drain, it is frustrating and aggravating to look for a "decent" job these days, trying to work out which companies will treat you fairly, which ones lie about their platforms, work, etc., and not only do these companies not want to pay us what we are worth but now I see that MANY companies are requiring the MT to have or "be willing" to purchase hundreds of dollars worth of equipment.  If an employer can PROMISE IN ...

Medical Jobs Online Posting On Jobs Board
Dec 09, 2013

Kind of wondering if this last job posting on the jobs board might be associated with one of those "you pay us to find you a job" type of organization.  I googled Medical Jobs Online and found nothing stating that are a legitimate MTSO :( ...

QA Keeps Changing Pro-time To Pro-time Or Pro-time Or Pro-time....once And For All, Which Is Correct
Apr 07, 2011

x ...

Where Do I Find The Status Of Jobs And Number Of Jobs?
Nov 26, 2012

I tried entering my ID plus dep on the Fluency for Transcription page and it said my account was inactive.  Okay, so I tried twice with Remedy to get it reactivated.  Both times I got emails telling me it was working.  Tried again and no luck.  Am I on the right page, the one with the hideous orange splash, the same one we use to find our stats?  Any help appreciated, I really don't want to have to call tech support if I don't have to.  Do I even need to d ...

Trying To Find Part-time Or Full-time Employee Position (hospital/clinic)
Apr 30, 2013

If anyone knows of a hospital, clinic, or large practice offering remote full-time or part-time employee positions, I would really appreciate an email.  I have the sudden need to help support a family member long term (in addition to myself) and really need to find a long-term remote employee position for the stability.  Yes, I watch all the various employment sites and even individual hospital sites, but I was hoping that maybe, just maybe someone who works for a hospital that does th ...

How Many Lines Is Considered Full Time And Part Time At Your MTSO?
May 06, 2010

I am wondering what the average for part time and full time status is either if it is done by line count or hours. Thanks so much! ...

FULL-TIME DOWNGRADE TO PART-TIME STATUS - Question
Dec 08, 2011

Has anyone working for an MTSO been downgraded from full-time status to part-time status based on not enough hours worked to be considered full time, yet making well above the minimum amount of earnings required for full-time status? ...

Does Precyse Hire Any Part-time Or Only Full-time?
Nov 03, 2010

nm ...

Anybody Else's Actual Time Worked Not Match Clocked Time?
Jun 13, 2011

Ever since they have changed Schedule Source and now it has a display called today's activity with "actuals" hours, this has not matched the hours shown with the time clock punches and is less than the hours according to the clock punch. The difference adds up to a significant amount over time. I am really suspicious about being jypped paywise. ...

MQ Rehire Policy For Part Time To Full Time
Apr 09, 2011

I worked for MQ full time and then went to part time last year, before finally quitting altogether because of health problems. I seem to remember an obscure policy that if you were full time and then went to part time, you could not go back to full time for a period of at least 1 year.  Can anyone verify that for me? IF, and this is a big IF, I were to go back to work for MQ, I would need to be full time. ...

Part-time Versus Full-time Benefits
Jan 10, 2013

I'm curious as to the difference between the benefits for part-time versus full-time employment.  Are they the same?   ...

Optiscript Part Time To Full Time
Nov 19, 2011

Does anyone care to share that if you are hired at optiscript part time will they let you change to full time easily? I know they are a small company and do not over hire so I do not know how easily this could be done.  I am thinking of cutting down to part time at my current employee so I can work part time elsewhere and eventually just leave my current employee once I see how the land lays elsewhere.  Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated :) ...

Full-time/Part-time Hours?
Feb 13, 2012

Since part-time is generally considered 20-25 hrs. per week, does that mean that full-time is anything over 25 hrs. per week or does it have to be a flat 40 hrs? ...