A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

? about working for a private doctor's office - Cassie

Posted: Apr 15, 2012

I saw an opening for a medical transcriptionist for a private doctor's office in my town.  I wonder, if any of you work in a private office--won't all medical practices be going to some sort of EMR in the coming year?  This ad didn't say anything at all about EMR, but I'm kind of assuming that they'll be switching to it if they haven't already.  

I've only done MT in an acute-care hospital setting, so I also wonder if a lot of smaller doctor's offices seem to use difficult transcription programs.  We always had good programs at the hospital, with abbrev. expanders, automatic population of the demographic screen, etc.; and I'm kind of wondering what questions I should ask about their program if I get contacted for an interview.  I have a few friends who went from the hospital to a private office, and they complained pretty bitterly about the cumbersome programs they encountered.  Are we hospital MTs a little too spoiled to be able to make an easy transition to what might not be the most up-to-date office programs when we move to a small office?  :-D  

If you've gone from hospital to smaller doctor's office (not a large clinic), I would love to hear how your experience was....and whatever questions you might suggest that would be helpful to know about.  TIA!  

? about working for a private doctor's office - greyhound mom

[ In Reply To ..]
I work for 3 different practices. I know some people don't like the idea, but I pick up tapes and deliver them back. I use Word Perfect. One of the practices has 3 docs. Two are using EMR but one doctor refuses and still dictates. The other 2 practices have not even started on EMR.

I love working for these practices. They never really bother me. If I didn't go to the offices, I would feel like a hermit. I really enjoy this. Unfortunately, I think the docs may be forced to go to EMR. I heard from someone that the government is paying the doctors bonuses to go to EMR. So that is why some docs are anxious to go to EMR. Maybe by the time they are completely using EMR, I will be retired.

Thanks, Greyhound Mom - Cassie

[ In Reply To ..]
Appreciate the response. I have a friend who would probably give her eye teeth to have your job! LOL. She works for a law firm that just switched from Word Perfect to MS Word, and she just didn't want to learn MS Word. She asked them leave WP on her computer, which they did. I told her it wouldn't be a bad idea to learn the MS Word since that's what most people are using (for any future jobs for her), but she's set in her ways at age 61. I can understand that.

And actually, the only ones who HAVE to go to EMR - are those who are Medicare providers

[ In Reply To ..]
The EMR requirement is for any provider who files for Medicare reimbursement and there are a lot of practitioners out there who don't find that particular source of income worth the extreme amount of administrative costs it generates.

Cassie - One suggestion - Auntie Anxiety

[ In Reply To ..]
If you're going to be working at a small private practice with only one or two physicians, you might want to ask when the physicians take their vacations. When they go on vacation, that could possibly mean no work for you for a week or two; by knowing in advance when they are going to be out for an extended period, you can plan and budget ahead to possibly be without income for that period of time.

Good luck!

Private doctors - LinK

[ In Reply To ..]
I work for private doctors, but as an employee. They use EMR, but myself and two other transcriptionists type directly into their EMR system. I think it depends on what system they use. I worked for another practice that switched to EMR and we lost our jobs, but now I'm back with them typing part-time for one doctor as an IC because he doesn't like to use the EMR system.

office job - Lynda

[ In Reply To ..]
I have worked for 2 surgeons for about 6 years now as an employee. I work in house (which I hate) and use Word. I use my own medical sp which I put on their computer when I started. Lately there has been more and more talk of EHR. The office manager says that one of the docs wont do it, but I don't see how they really have a choice. If and when that happens I will be out of a job.

office job - greyhound mom

[ In Reply To ..]
I also have 1 doctor that does not use EMR. Two other doctors use the system. He has the office staff put in whatever needs to be put in, and when he dictates letters or whatever, I transcribe them (mini cassettes). Then the letters are scanned into the system. With the 2 doctors using EMR, my check is approximately $1,500 less a month from that practice. When he goes on vacation, then it is even less. Also, the doctors using EMR get bonuses from the government for this. This is just what I heard.

I am losing my office job due to EMR - After 15 years

[ In Reply To ..]
I just use MS Word, IT and a medical spellchecker. I print out all transcription. I make more than I would have by working in-office. Of course, as an IC, I have no benefits so that has to be taken into consideration. Had I known sooner that this office was moving to EMR (before they purchased their software), I would have inquired about them utilizing a HIPAA compliant site on line that dictation could be uploaded to. I have picked up a doc at another office but that too will only be until the end of this year - unless they are willing to utilize an on-line site as mentioned above. I desperately need an income and am not sure what to do! I am not healthy enough to work a regular job outside the home nor to start a new career. I have several years before I can retire. I have no acute care experience either so that really limits my options.

Similar Messages:

Working In A Doctor's Office 8-5
Jul 26, 2010

Have a potential job opportunity working in a medical office for one doctor and one PA, however, I need to provide them with what pay I am looking for. Really dislike when the pay question is turned around on me (sigh).  Anyhoo, job is a fulltime office job doing mostly transcription but there will be some other job office duties to help out in.  Sooo~ this is where you come in . . . what kind of pay are transcriptionist making in a medical office these days.  I have only don ...

If You Work For A Private Practice Oncology Office
Nov 25, 2014

When I did MT, I worked for an oncology office.  Perhaps those may be dwindling like the MT career... ...

Does Every Doctor Office Have Coders?
Aug 04, 2011

Just curious.  And if so, do coders work as the primary billilng person as well or do they having a billing person and a coder.  I don't see too many jobs advertised for coders so I was wondering... maybe not all have them. ...

I Work At A Doctor's Office As An MT, But I Also
Aug 23, 2013

perform document scanning and indexing for all the hospital documents, correspondence and faxed documents they receive.  We share office space with another practice.  The other practice is a completely seperate entity with seperate payroll.  However, we share a phone line and as a courtesy I do answer most of the other practices calls, schedule their appts, and because I set at the front window, I check in all of our patients and their patiens, mostly because the girl em ...

Transcribing Into Doctor's Office Computer
Jun 08, 2011

I need to know what I need to be able to transcribe for a doctor who is 50 miiles away from where I live.  I need to dial into the office computer from my home and type directly into their system.  What Do I need. Thanks for your help ...

Should I Stay Or Should I Go? I Took A Job At A Local Doctor's Office As
Jun 16, 2012

a scheduler/receptionist.  I took the job because I wasn't making anything typing at home and I thought it would be nice to get out of the house and sharpen some different skills apart from just transcribing.  Plus the office is 5 minutes from my house, days with weekends off, and it's a steady paycheck that does not fluctuate because there's no jobs available or I'm having an off dat, but I hate the job!  On my third day, the lady who was training me had ...

Anybody Handle Phones In A Doctor's Office?
Jul 29, 2012

So I just got a temp job in a fancy upscale surgical hospital. First in-house job in 8 years, and I really need to convert this job into a permanent deal, but my first attempts on the phone last week I sort of bombed. Is anybody able to offer some pointers on phone tact? I know I will make mistakes, it would be great if I could recover from them gracefully. >_<*  If someone was willing to mentor me and get me through this next week I would send you a box of cookies or brownies or wha ...

Transcription Positions In A Doctor's Office
Jun 19, 2013

Is it impossible to find a position as a transcriptionist in a doctor's office. I have had no luck at all since I have been a transcriptionist. I have been a transcriptionist for 23 years and nothing from a doctor's office ever. ...

Typing In Your Own Record At The Doctor's Office
Mar 20, 2014

My husband went to the doctor last week.  The lady asked him his medical history, typing it in the computer, then spun it around and asked him to enter some of his personal information, name, address, etc., himself.  Now that might be a first.  ...

Transcription Software So That Doctor Can Dictate Into A Digital Recorder From His Office
Apr 20, 2010

Does anybody know of a good software program or system where the doctor can dictate into a digital recorder from his office, upload it to my computer and that I could transcribe using a footpedal (that I already have) and then upload it and send it back to the doctor?  The doctor would like to start using a digital system ASAP, so any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you! ...

Shorthand For Windows Not Working In Open Office Or Wordpad
Nov 08, 2010

Hi, I have been successfully using Shorthand for Windows for 4 years in numerous transcription platforms with 2 companies.  Now  I would like to use Shorthand in other ways, but it does not work in email, Express Scribe, Open Office, or Word pad.  I can't affod to buy Microsoft Word, so I would like to know another typing program that is compatible with Shorthand.  Signed, Loreen Derry, Shorthand junkie   ...

I Am Currently Working As An IC And Trying To Get Accounts On My Own. Currently Have One Doctor That
Jul 12, 2011

but I am looking for more work.  Does anyone know how I would go about setting something up so the doctor could call in and dictate and I could get the dictation and then type it?  I would rather do the sound files but in case they don't want to do that I would like to know my options.  I was also thinking it might be cheaper for me to pay for their digital handheld as I think they are less than $100.  Thanks for any suggestions.  I really appreciate it.  ...

Nothing But Office Notes And Office Letters With No ADT Tonight And Last Night. A Recipe For Perfor
Mar 08, 2014

Numerous cc's not in the database which have to be added, address and all. Short reports, of course, that take 3x longer than the dictation time. Just shoot me now. I can't wait until I get a new job! Came close today - job lead was 1/2 day too late. :-( Hopefully the other person won't work out :-} ...

Need To Convert From Office 2013 To Office 2010
Apr 26, 2014

I'm starting with a new company next week.  My Windows 7 PC has Office 2013 Professional.  The new company's platform is only compatible with 2010 or earlier.  I don't have the money to spend on 2010, so I'll either have to decline the offer or try to find a way to install 2010 cheaply.  I thought I might be able to download a version for free, since it's not the newest version, but it doesn't look like I can do that.  Any ideas? ...

Private Mail
Apr 13, 2014

Anyone know what private mail means?  There is a request to download something to get it.  No way!  I am posting only.  Will never answer any email from this site.  Did that once, never again.  The person (management??) bugged me forever, asking questions. ...

Appropriate Pay For Private Jobs?
Oct 14, 2014

I currently work for a national company doing acute care, both traditional and ASR jobs.  I have work, but it doesn't pay enough to support a family.  I've been approached about doing some jobs for a doc's group, which could turn into something. I have no idea what to charge them; however, I know they won't be getting any sort of insurance reimbursement or bundling for the transcription service, so it cuts out the middle man.  I don't want to short mysel ...

Private Email Question
Sep 09, 2010

If you receive an email from someone on this site, is it safe to respond to their email or could it be a scam?  I am new to this and don't want to take any chances.  They told me to shoot them an email and they would tell me about a company I was discussing with someone else on here.  Please advise!  ...

Private Disability Insurance
Sep 27, 2011

Any MTs out there that pay out of pocket for short- and/or long-term disability insurance? I am thinking of doing it and wondered now much the premiums would be?  I want to continue to be an IC and want to see if this is affordable.  Thanks. Chloe ...

Recommended Companies (private Msg Me)
Sep 08, 2014

I'm really thinking about jumping ship from MModal.  I've been there for 8 years, being a QA/editor for half that and have been nominated for MT of the year 4 times.  Recently it seems they've put a target on my back and I think I need to get out.  I have been out of the business loop for that time, so I don't know what's out there.  Are there any places you would recommend?  Any you would recommend to stay away from?  I know going to Nuance ...

MTSOs Vs. Hospitals/Private Practice?
Dec 03, 2010

I've worked for several MT companies over the years just to end up going to another MT company for better pay, benefits, etc. Seems like a never-ending cycle. Anyone here ever worked from home directly with a hospital or private practice? Thanks for any response! ...

Looking For Info On Private Insurance Policies.
Mar 30, 2011

nm ...

MQ Delisted From NYSE, CBay Gone Private
Jan 17, 2012

My husband and I stay up on the stock market and I have been watching MQ and Cbay for about a year.   I just noticed today that they have been delisted and gone to pink sheet which means their stock consistently fell below the $5.00 mark.  Just a year ago it was $16.  Also, CBay has gone private and claims it is an American Company.  It is not, it is now privately owned by an Indian company doing business with corporate offices in London.  I don't know what thi ...

Is It Improper For Management To Send Private Email
May 30, 2013

to an employee who is seeking input from peers regarding a work related situation?  The email was obviously only sent to initimidate the employee. Nothing helpful or anything of that nature.  Just a note to let them know they had been spotted on this thread.  I think it's kind of creepy and not very professional, but then how would any of you feel?  This was not a simple reply to a post, it was sent through the private email link on the post ...

Anyone Know Why Semi-private Hospital Rooms Are Still Allowed Under HIPAA?
Oct 06, 2010

I work for one of the big MTSOs, take annual HIPAA training, and know I am subject to fines or discharge for disclosing someone else̢۪s medical info, either intentionally or accidentally such as via an incorrect C/C. I am therefore baffled as to why hospitals are still allowed to put patients in semiprivate rooms where HIPAA rules just seem to go out the window. For example, just yesterday I returned from a 23-hour overnight after an outpatient procedure at a well-regarded acute-care hos ...

Does Anyone Work For A Small Company That Handles Private Practice?
Sep 04, 2014

I am looking for a smaller company that needs help with private practice transcription.  Does anybody know of one that needs help?  I can't find anything when I search.  I am currently going part-time at a large company to get them off of my back about how long I am glued to the keyboard and foot pedal and how much work I do per hour.  I have over 14 years of experience and I am good at what I do.  I want to work for a company that will appreciate that and not hound ...

Overheard A Doctor Telling Another Doctor...
Oct 15, 2010

20 years ago when the DRG's hit the hospitals, one  was complaing to the other... "they treat doctors like a bunch of old dogs now".  Well, that's how  MTs are being treated now.  Why on God's green earth do the MT services require all MT's to work at least one weekend day every week (Friday's and Monday's  don't count). Every ad I see on the Job Seeker board requires weekends.  Are they sadistic or something.  Why do we put u ...

Do Most Coders Work For Hospitals Or For Private Companies Similar To MTSOs?
Oct 25, 2011

Is there an "MTSO" equivilent for coders or are they usually hired directly by hospitals? ...

EMR Question - Why Can't The Reports I Type For My Private Account Be Scanned Into A Computer?
Jan 28, 2012

This may have been asked and answered previously but I am going to lose my long-term account because of EMR in about 2 years and I am not going down without a fight. Why can't I type their transcription as usual, then the reports can be scanned into the computer/EMR? Any information would be greatly appreciated....thanks! ...

Caution, Using The Private Email Function On This Board Allows A Traceable Path
Dec 05, 2014

...and Nuance HAS used this method for tracing negative comments and it resulted in folks being fired.  Remember, anyone can represent themselves as anyone on the public board and request, "please email privately," but I would never ever do this! I try to remember to post this every so often for anynone not already aware.     ...

"Private Medical Transcriptionist" On Another Help Wanted Board Is A Scam
Feb 26, 2014

Same tip-offs as all the others (don't want to give too much away or those shysters will know to change it).   Just FYI.   ...