A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Anyone know why semi-private hospital rooms are still allowed under HIPAA? - Anon

Posted: Oct 06, 2010

I work for one of the big MTSOs, take annual HIPAA training, and know I am subject to fines or discharge for disclosing someone elseâs medical info, either intentionally or accidentally such as via an incorrect C/C. I am therefore baffled as to why hospitals are still allowed to put patients in semiprivate rooms where HIPAA rules just seem to go out the window. For example, just yesterday I returned from a 23-hour overnight after an outpatient procedure at a well-regarded acute-care hospital. After surgery I was sent to the floor and put in a semiprivate room with another female admitted for nonsurgical reasons. There was just a curtain between us so I (and my visitors when I had them) could not help but hear everything that went on: Her many conversations with doctors and nurses, all the medications they gave her and the reasons for them, including some which they explained were for her alcohol withdrawal, all their readings of her vitals, etc. They had discussions about her quitting smoking and attending AA. None of my visitors were asked to leave the room during these exchanges, and I was on complete bed rest so could not. Without wanting to, we all knew this ladyâs full medical history by the time I was discharged. So now I wonder, why are some healthcare professions, including ours, held to the letter of this privacy law, yet hospitals are allowed to continue with practices that allow sensitive issues to be discussed openly in front of perfect strangers? Why havenât the enforcers of HIPAA in their zeal for healthcare privacy addressed this gaping hole in their firewall, and have instead focused on trivia? Any comments/ideas?

Beauracratic system of moronic proportions - >:-(

[ In Reply To ..]
I believe that beautifully illustrates the HIPAA racket for what it is, a beauracratic system of management that has done nothing to protect patient's privacy & safety as they claim and everything to add to our growing out-of-control healthcare costs in this nation. Enormous administrative costs in supporting, implementing, enforcing such duplicity. Sometimes you just can't fix stupid...

No, just that in an imperfect world we often have to - settle for a cup half full. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Of course. How imperfect of me to speak otherwise - Shamed

[ In Reply To ..]
NM

How profound... - Never thought of it that way...

[ In Reply To ..]
I suppose because I keep thinking of it as this: "Hypocrisy in anything whatever may deceive the cleverest and most penetrating man, but the least wide-awake of children recognizes it, and is revolted by it, however ingeniously it may be disguised."
Well, unprofoundly then, I'm guessing unprotected words spoken in front of - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
a few random people are a whole lot less likely to be reported to an employer than written words held by the insurance company the employing company gives its business to. (A lot of people are fired proactively to keep next year's premiums down, and cut off their pensions, etc., but that's not the reason they're given of course.)

Unprotected verbal, as opposed to medical record, words are certainly not at all likely to be stolen, singly or en mass, by or sold to a crime syndicate. Unless you're Bill Gates sharing a room, of course. Governments aren't the only organizations building databases.

A question worth pondering when wondering about HIPAA is why would criminals bother trying to break into, for instance, bank records (banks actually do a pretty good job overall of protecting our accounts) when they can just purchase or hijack information for electronic access from unprotected patient records?

I guess as a patient you know that someone - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
else is in the room and you can always request the doctor/nurses, etc., not discuss your condition/care, etc., in front of other people. With you knowing that the other people are there, I guess you are in a way giving consent for them to hear everything.

Doctor's offices are the same way. The walls are not very thick, and I know at my doctor's office I can hear everything that is said in the next exam room.

Semi-private/private rooms - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I would think that a private room would be very expensive and would have to be medically justified in order to receive reimbursement from an insurance provider. If you think a HIPAA violation occurred, you can always report the facility. People in emergency room waiting areas hear and see a lot too. I guess if the patient you mention didn't want visitors in the room while her information was being discussed, she could have asked them to leave. The hospital was probably just operating within their limitations. You didn't give her name here, but you disclosed quite a bit of information in your post, don't think I'd get on a message board and do that. To me that's a bit like discussing the patients you transcribe on without giving their names. I don't know the entire law so really don't know what constitutes a HIPAA violation, but you raised some good questions.

HIPAA and semi-private room - jeannieb

[ In Reply To ..]
The purpose of HIPAA is to avoid discrimination due to a person's health status. Athough as professionals we shouldn't disclose information about a patient, the conversation in a semi-private room may reveal some medical information, but you will never hear sickle cell, HIV/AIDS, or alcohol information discussed unless the patient signs a waiver. Just by accepting a semi-private room, the patient agrees to the loss of some privacy. We live in a "real" world where not all can be hidden.

Your rationality reminds me of... - See message

[ In Reply To ..]
âA hypocrite is the kind of politician who would cut down a redwood tree, then mount the stump and make a speech for conservation.â
Rationality? - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
What?????
Give it up, Anonymous. Some people insist on finding - enemies to attack and HIPAA has joined the list.
[ In Reply To ..]
And anybody who thinks it's a good thing even if late coming.
HIPAA - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
Don't think I said I thought it was a good thing, it is what it is.
HIPAA - smpar
[ In Reply To ..]
People are not objecting to HIPAA per se. It's the silliness/absurdity of MTSO's oh-so-important administrative personnel who apparently think MTs are stupid and try to use this as a boogeyman to scare MTs with, especially when such obvious hypocrisy abounds, i.e. the semi-private hospital room example. (In addition to that elephant-in-the-room---substandard input/dictation by some MDs who obviously are not particularly concerned about their role regarding HIPAA violations.) MTs should take the time to actually READ this federal law--particularly that little detail called "malicious intent" and they will laugh the next time some self-important administrative type starts pontificating about HIPAA.
SMPAR - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
Acutally, there have been HIPAA violations among MTs and others in on-site situations where nurses and MAs were caught accessing information on family and acquaintances. I am familiar with an MT whose employment was terminated because she discussed a patient case in public. Anyone in a home situation where others can access the information on their computer should take HIPAA seriously. I don't know if the MTSOs are trying to scare people. We take it very seriously on-site. None of us have control over what takes place in hospital rooms or offshore, but we do have control over our own behavior.
Physicans all carry E&O insurance. MTSOs have no - Pragmatist
[ In Reply To ..]
choice but to try to inform us--their own insurance/business practice requires due diligence on this, plus the regulations themselves, plus just basic human decency.

Smpar, I don't get your meaning regarding the doctrine of malicious intent--?? You're talking about Level IV offences, or ?

BTW, I used to read commercial insurance policies for a living and it's downright cruel to recommend anyone try to read what we refer to as "HIPAA"--a blanket term covering a whole slew of different regulations, most not applying to us at all, and more coming all the time as they're finalized or amended, plus state laws. Even for amusement. A HIPAA class or careful home ed would be a very good idea, though.

I was in a 4-bed room for almost a month - how would you like that?

[ In Reply To ..]
It is also a county hospital and a teaching level 1 trauma center. The only time I had a private room was when I was in ICU for about 10 days, then moved to his room with 4-beds. I could hear everyone's medical information too, but I did notice that most of the docs and nurses did keep their voices down, I assume to respect the privacy of each of us. I don't think these hospitals are going to convert 4-bed rooms or semi-private to private as it would be too costly. Yes, it is a good point about HIPPA, but wonder just how many rights we actually have when it comes to the patients' bill of rights.

Hah! At 19 I was in an 8-bed room after giving birth - Pragmatist

[ In Reply To ..]
to my first child, my first experience with a hospital ever. All day long a stream of young men was coming through to pull up my sheets, examine, and take notes while I lay there surprised, and then bemused. They were so earnest, trying not to look at ME, that I decided they had to be students or something. :) After a little of this, though, I no longer bothered to care when someone's husband wandered by at the wrong time.

Regarding the type of privacy that needs more than just a sheet thrown over it, all our charts were hung at eye level on the wall of the hall outside the room for anyone to read. This has been common practice for decades, of course, but the exposure of personal information shocked me a bit even as a kid.

It's gotten so ridiculous, you could make a case for - a HIPAA violation

[ In Reply To ..]
just by driving down the street and seeing someone's car you recognize pulling into a doctor's office parking lot.

For instance... because I saw her, now I know that my second-grade teacher has an orthopedic problem. Did she want me to know that? Do I have a right to know that?

I have also theorized that doctors' offices should issue paper bags to everyone who walks into the waiting room--to put over their heads, so no one will know who they're sharing the waiting room with.

It's absolutely silly, of course.

re. It's gotten ridiculous... - smpar

[ In Reply To ..]
You are right, of course. And MTs should take the time to actually read this law. As laws should be, it is rooted in common sense and a most important factor is involved---malicious intent. If someone is maliciously selling or intentionally sharing someone's medical information, then of course they can and should beheld liable. But it is patently ridiculous to suggest that MTs, simply in the course of doing their job (and often with incomplete and/or confusing input/information from the dictator and their employers with which to go on)can be held legally responsible. Would like to see such a case hold up in court. MTSOs try to scare their employees with nonsense.

Semi-private rooms and HIPAA - Nell

[ In Reply To ..]
Glad you brought this up and you are right. I guess, as usual, doctors are exempt from these regulations, in more ways than one. I once worked for a transcription company that said you could be in violation of HIPAA laws if you even had the name of a patient (no other info) written on a piece of paper on your desk. Everything had to be shred. And if you typed the wrong patient info on a report you were in violation, even though the dictator was not clear as to which John Doe he was talking about, there were 8 in the hospital system to choose from and it was your job to guess the right one, based on the information given to you (which could be wrong) or the lack of information but you knew which date they were seen. If you ask me, they have blown this HIPAA stuff way out of proportion. Yet people are allowed to type from home with nobody regulating that. It is not exactly under lock and key.

Similar Messages:

HIPAA - Need A Quick Check On HIPAA Rules
Oct 29, 2009

Hi, I need a quick check on HIPAA rules.  With respect to the health care debate, I want to write to my senator, etc., about a situation with a patient I transcribed on.  The only info. I intend to give is that the patient was a:  Russian immigrant, on welfare and receiving Medicaid benefits--when he should not have.  He and his "sponsor(s)" was responsible for his care and living expenses.  Further, I transcribed a note in which the doctor said that this patient wanted to re-sched ...

Semi Retired MT
Oct 21, 2010

I have been considering taking on a PT position with an MTSO at home.  Tested, passed and am being offered 10.5 cpl transcription, .7 cpl VR.  (I have never worked at home, retired a year ago from in-house company where I worked for 25+ years).  This rate seems generous by the board posting norms.  Is it a too good to believe situation?  Or should I take it?  (biggest co.  starts with an M...) ...

Commas Or Semi-colons????
Sep 24, 2012

Report reads as follows: "IMPRESSION: Low back pain, probable disc disease; Diabetes mellitus, moderately controlled; Blood pressure; Hypertension, well controlled; GERD; and some neuropathy associated with the diabetes." Wondering whether I should leave it as is, or use semi-colons to separate.............Thanks in advance ...

Now They Are On A Semi-colon Rant
Jul 15, 2014

what the heck...and since when is "it" with no other identifier as to what "it" is, other then the preceding sentence, able to form a complete sentence? ...

Does Anyone Work For A Hospital, But You Live Out Of State From That Hospital?
Aug 13, 2010

Or how from that hospital do you live? ...

Changing To Canada Hospital From US Hospital Transcription
Jul 20, 2012

I have taken a new job to transcribe for a hospital in Canada.  What are the differences?  Can you post (or email me) links for websites that you use for references - looking up doctors, meds, etc.  Is the spelling different? ...

Private Mail
Apr 13, 2014

Anyone know what private mail means?  There is a request to download something to get it.  No way!  I am posting only.  Will never answer any email from this site.  Did that once, never again.  The person (management??) bugged me forever, asking questions. ...

Appropriate Pay For Private Jobs?
Oct 14, 2014

I currently work for a national company doing acute care, both traditional and ASR jobs.  I have work, but it doesn't pay enough to support a family.  I've been approached about doing some jobs for a doc's group, which could turn into something. I have no idea what to charge them; however, I know they won't be getting any sort of insurance reimbursement or bundling for the transcription service, so it cuts out the middle man.  I don't want to short mysel ...

Private Email Question
Sep 09, 2010

If you receive an email from someone on this site, is it safe to respond to their email or could it be a scam?  I am new to this and don't want to take any chances.  They told me to shoot them an email and they would tell me about a company I was discussing with someone else on here.  Please advise!  ...

Private Disability Insurance
Sep 27, 2011

Any MTs out there that pay out of pocket for short- and/or long-term disability insurance? I am thinking of doing it and wondered now much the premiums would be?  I want to continue to be an IC and want to see if this is affordable.  Thanks. Chloe ...

Recommended Companies (private Msg Me)
Sep 08, 2014

I'm really thinking about jumping ship from MModal.  I've been there for 8 years, being a QA/editor for half that and have been nominated for MT of the year 4 times.  Recently it seems they've put a target on my back and I think I need to get out.  I have been out of the business loop for that time, so I don't know what's out there.  Are there any places you would recommend?  Any you would recommend to stay away from?  I know going to Nuance ...

How Many F11's Are We Allowed?
Feb 02, 2011

x ...

Should It Be Allowed (they Just Did This To Me)
Feb 02, 2013

I sent a dictation to QC for blanks because the dictator was saying wrong words, and mis-speaking.  I just got about 7 major errors for things which the dictator changed mind, slurred, and that is why I put it in the pending with questions to begin with.  So, is this the correct policy. Put in the blanks, question certain words and then still get in trouble for this as major errors? I did not put through to client, questioned each, put difficult dictator in box, please help and then I ...

Uh Oh...we Were Allowed To
Dec 25, 2014

in case of NJA, which I did, but now I am not having NJA.  Will have to find out what to do.  All the new ideas seem to be bad ones, but then, what would one expect with MM. ...

MTSOs Vs. Hospitals/Private Practice?
Dec 03, 2010

I've worked for several MT companies over the years just to end up going to another MT company for better pay, benefits, etc. Seems like a never-ending cycle. Anyone here ever worked from home directly with a hospital or private practice? Thanks for any response! ...

Looking For Info On Private Insurance Policies.
Mar 30, 2011

nm ...

MQ Delisted From NYSE, CBay Gone Private
Jan 17, 2012

My husband and I stay up on the stock market and I have been watching MQ and Cbay for about a year.   I just noticed today that they have been delisted and gone to pink sheet which means their stock consistently fell below the $5.00 mark.  Just a year ago it was $16.  Also, CBay has gone private and claims it is an American Company.  It is not, it is now privately owned by an Indian company doing business with corporate offices in London.  I don't know what thi ...

? About Working For A Private Doctor's Office
Apr 15, 2012

I saw an opening for a medical transcriptionist for a private doctor's office in my town.  I wonder, if any of you work in a private office--won't all medical practices be going to some sort of EMR in the coming year?  This ad didn't say anything at all about EMR, but I'm kind of assuming that they'll be switching to it if they haven't already.   I've only done MT in an acute-care hospital setting, so I also wonder if a lot of smaller doctor ...

If & Is Not Allowed To Be Use Why Does ASR Print It
Jul 18, 2012

x ...

I Was Not Allowed To Take Off For This Weekend.
May 25, 2013

As I watched my family leave and our dog to head to our relatives cabin in the next neighboring state last night, I cleaned the house and did some laundry and worked my last hour typing.  This morning I am ready to work my 8 hours and what happens???  NO WORK.  You think I would be used to this by now after all these years, but now I am really ANGRY!  I have done this when it is Easter, Thanksgiving, Fourth of July, etc.  That is it.  No more will I ...

Is It Improper For Management To Send Private Email
May 30, 2013

to an employee who is seeking input from peers regarding a work related situation?  The email was obviously only sent to initimidate the employee. Nothing helpful or anything of that nature.  Just a note to let them know they had been spotted on this thread.  I think it's kind of creepy and not very professional, but then how would any of you feel?  This was not a simple reply to a post, it was sent through the private email link on the post ...

If You Work For A Private Practice Oncology Office
Nov 25, 2014

When I did MT, I worked for an oncology office.  Perhaps those may be dwindling like the MT career... ...

Can I Take A Poll? If You Work For A Semi-large To Large Co. SM
Sep 06, 2014

Here in the US, what are you making (without naming names) per line for straight typing and for VR?I see, below, about OTI lowering to 6.5 CPL straight type and I was just recently offered a job at 7 CPL straight type (as an IC).  I thought that was the going rate nowadays for company work.  Am I wrong?  Are there still some out there that pay a decent wage? ...

Does Anyone Work For A Small Company That Handles Private Practice?
Sep 04, 2014

I am looking for a smaller company that needs help with private practice transcription.  Does anybody know of one that needs help?  I can't find anything when I search.  I am currently going part-time at a large company to get them off of my back about how long I am glued to the keyboard and foot pedal and how much work I do per hour.  I have over 14 years of experience and I am good at what I do.  I want to work for a company that will appreciate that and not hound ...

Are We Not Allowed To Put ('s) In The Nickname Section?
Dec 16, 2009

Everytime I try to respond to someone and put a ('s) like if I put "plumber's wife" or something like that in the Nickname section on post a message, and go to send it I get an error and it will not send. Now if I remove the ('s) then it sends.  Happen to anyone else? ...

How Many Excused Absences Are You Allowed...
Jan 08, 2013

And what happens if you exceed that number? ...

What Have We Allowed To Happen To Our Profession?
May 22, 2014

Ladies and Gentleman MTs -- Twenty years ago I earned 7 cpl at my job as an IC MT, was treated fairly by my employer, paid weekend and holiday bonuses, as well as quan/qual bonuses.  Although hours were long, worked most holidays and weekends, I earned around $45,000/yr, about $35.00 an hour and was free to choose the hours that I worked.   Could we all just take some control over our professions, please?  Yes, being an MT is a profession.  How much specialized education, t ...

Are We Allowed To Use Downloaded Version
Oct 30, 2014

I guess you can no longer buy full licensed copies of MS Word on a disk ???  I see you can get MS Word 2013 in downloadable form, starting with a "trial" and then I guess you end up paying per year or month?  So, is this acceptable or do we HAVE to have it on disk? ...

More Blanks Allowed Before Sending To IQA
Jan 13, 2015

Ok, got E-mail about changing when we have to send reports to IQA and when we can just ship on. Increasing number of blanks, etc.  Anyone understand how this is going to impact our 10% or less criteria?  I may be crazy, but sounds like we might be getting a break here. Guess we have been shipping too much to IQA. When in doubt we don't want to lose money with a wrong guess. ...

Do Most Coders Work For Hospitals Or For Private Companies Similar To MTSOs?
Oct 25, 2011

Is there an "MTSO" equivilent for coders or are they usually hired directly by hospitals? ...