A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Shorthand for Windows not working in Open Office or Wordpad - Loreen Derry

Posted: Nov 08, 2010

Hi, I have been successfully using Shorthand for Windows for 4 years in numerous transcription platforms with 2 companies.  Now  I would like to use Shorthand in other ways, but it does not work in email, Express Scribe, Open Office, or Word pad.  I can't affod to buy Microsoft Word, so I would like to know another typing program that is compatible with Shorthand. 

Signed,

Loreen Derry, Shorthand junkie

I heard MS has free Word now - freebee

[ In Reply To ..]
I heard that MS has their own free version of Word now, to compete with Open Office. I did not like Open Office.

But on the Shorthand side of things, I am wondering how this program is and how you like it? I have tried Instant Text and do not like. Is Shorthand simpler to use?

If it is a IE-based program, SH may not work - not a Shorthand problem

[ In Reply To ..]
What version of Internet Explorer are you using? The most recent versions (7 and 8) were upgraded so that SH doesn't work when those programs are available. Example, I used to be able to use SH in the search box in Google, here in MTStars, in my Yahoo email that I accessed via IE. Now, it isn't compatible. I can use SH in Outlook Express, though. You may want to invest in Word products (not limited versions like Word Pad) or even WordPerfect for Windows.

It isn't the platform; it is the programs linked to Internet Explorer.

Similar Messages:

TEXT EXPANDER FOR WORDPAD OR OPEN OFFICE?
Nov 11, 2010

Hi, I am a happy PC shorthand customer but now will need an expander that works in WordPad/Notepad or Open Office since I can't afford the Microsoft products.  I tried FastFox but it won't import my Shorthand.  I need a new expander that will import or else that has importable files.  Any ideas?  Oh yes, can't afford Instant Text or other high-cost expanders either.  ...

MS Word 2007 V. Open Office 4.11
Sep 10, 2014

Is it possible to use Open Office 4.11 instead of MS Word 2007?  I have MS Word 2007 but am switching to a new computer and can download Open Office for free.  I know most companies require MS Word 2007 full version; hence, my question about Open Office's compatibility with their programs! ...

Windows 7 And Shorthand
May 18, 2010

I have heard that Windows 7 and Shorthand are not compatible.  Does anyone have in information on this?  Any alternative to Shorthand? ...

Shorthand For Windows Question.
Feb 16, 2010

It has been a while since I've used Shorthand and I have forgotten how to create a bolded expansion like a heading.  Could someone share with me how to do this? ...

Shorthand 9 Version And Windows 7
Nov 15, 2011

Has anybody used Shorthand Version 9 word expander program with Windows 7?  Would love to hear if you were able to use Version 9 or had to upgrade to Version 10.  Thanks!! ...

Shorthand For Windows Expander
May 07, 2013

I have been having something unusual happen with my Shorthand expander.  I think I messed it up when I was doing some changing and ever since then I have not been able to expand an abbreviation when I  am in the actual SH screen.  I used to just hit enter and it would populate my document, but now it doesn't do anything at all at that point.  I have to go back out of SH and then reenter the abbreviation in the document I am working in and then it works.  Does a ...

Windows 7 And PC Shorthand Problems
Feb 08, 2015

Howdy from Texas......I recently purchased a terrific and powerful Windows 7 Dell PC on clearance at a great price......and have been spending a lot of time getting it up and running...... My latest and hopefully last glitch is that I cant get shorthand to work with Bayscribe on this Windows 7 machine while using Internet Explorer 11.  My dictionaries come up after I load Shorthand but they dont work.   Anybody know a fix for this?  Please?  Thank you.    ...

Shorthand Is Compatible With Windows 8.1 ?
May 28, 2015

Does anyone know if Shorthand is compatible with Windows 8.1? ...

Transcenders - Anyone Use Shortcut For Windows Instead Of Shorthand
Sep 01, 2011

... just curious!  TIA!!!  ...

Working In A Doctor's Office 8-5
Jul 26, 2010

Have a potential job opportunity working in a medical office for one doctor and one PA, however, I need to provide them with what pay I am looking for. Really dislike when the pay question is turned around on me (sigh).  Anyhoo, job is a fulltime office job doing mostly transcription but there will be some other job office duties to help out in.  Sooo~ this is where you come in . . . what kind of pay are transcriptionist making in a medical office these days.  I have only don ...

? About Working For A Private Doctor's Office
Apr 15, 2012

I saw an opening for a medical transcriptionist for a private doctor's office in my town.  I wonder, if any of you work in a private office--won't all medical practices be going to some sort of EMR in the coming year?  This ad didn't say anything at all about EMR, but I'm kind of assuming that they'll be switching to it if they haven't already.   I've only done MT in an acute-care hospital setting, so I also wonder if a lot of smaller doctor ...

WMX - Working Windows.
Dec 08, 2009

I have heard they are no longer offering these 10 to 12 hour windows to do your shift in.  Anyone know contrary? Also, if you already are working and have this window, do they take it away or are you grandfathered in?  ...

My Windows Live Mail Stopped Working
Sep 22, 2013

I refuse to talk to Phil in India, does anyone have the instructions on how to hook it up so I can reinstall it? Please ...

Nothing But Office Notes And Office Letters With No ADT Tonight And Last Night. A Recipe For Perfor
Mar 08, 2014

Numerous cc's not in the database which have to be added, address and all. Short reports, of course, that take 3x longer than the dictation time. Just shoot me now. I can't wait until I get a new job! Came close today - job lead was 1/2 day too late. :-( Hopefully the other person won't work out :-} ...

Need To Convert From Office 2013 To Office 2010
Apr 26, 2014

I'm starting with a new company next week.  My Windows 7 PC has Office 2013 Professional.  The new company's platform is only compatible with 2010 or earlier.  I don't have the money to spend on 2010, so I'll either have to decline the offer or try to find a way to install 2010 cheaply.  I thought I might be able to download a version for free, since it's not the newest version, but it doesn't look like I can do that.  Any ideas? ...

AUTOCORRECT - How To Coph From Windows XP To Windows 7
Aug 22, 2013

HOW TO COPY AUTOCORRECT FROM WINDOWS XP TO WINDOWS 7 ...

Windows 7 And Using Windows XP Mode
Aug 05, 2011

Has anyone ever wanted to work for a company that only used Windows XP and you had Windows 7 but could virtually move to XP mode?  Could you download their software on the XP mode side and get it to work?  I had a job interview where their software only worked on XP.  I thought I could do that, but I had to also have Word 2003.  I only have 2010, but it has the compatability pack for 2003, BUT the client's software couldn't differentiate that.  If I maybe bough ...

ShortCut For Windows With Windows 7 Or 8?
May 14, 2014

Anyone using ShortCut for Windows with Windows 7 or 8? ...

Copying From Windows XP To Windows 7
Jan 31, 2015

I've done this before with no problems but for some reason I can't figure it out today. . . I want to copy my Stedman's Electronic Dictionary from XP to Win 7. I don't know why I am having problems with this . . . I copied my Stedman's electronic surgical words, abbreviations, etc., about 6 months ago just fine using my thumb drive. I don't have the original discs with me. Any help would be appreciated! ...

I Can Open Up The Backlog!
Feb 08, 2010

It is FINALLY working!  ...

Open Note From An MME
Feb 13, 2010

I have come on this site for awhile, mostly because this is a place where everyone gets what you do and can understand what you're going crazy over. Try telling your neighbor the ESLs are getting to you today and you get what I mean. However, since I have become an MME (in October), this has become a not so friendly place. I love doing QA work. I have been in this field for 20 years and feel I can and do help MTs out. When I make a correction, it's to give the MT some feedback, ...

Open Enrollment.
Nov 19, 2012

IF we want to keep our current insurance plan is there anything we need to do for open enrollment?  Thanks.  ...

Open Enrollment?
Oct 26, 2014

Anyone hear any rumblings yet about Open Enrollment?  Last year at this time we were already sent emails to "get ready" for it...so far this year, nothing.  I heard that other companies were making the spousal/partner "penalty" for not taking insurance was going to go up to $500!  We are now paying $100/month...let's hope that won't be the case, as that would essentially be one of my paychecks.  Wonder what surprises are in store for us.  Maybe we won' ...

How Do You Open A Ticket For NJA If MQ Mail Is Down
Jul 01, 2010

Does anyone know? MQ mail still not working for me so how do I send email to support and CCM to open ticket? ...

When Is Open Enrollment This Year? Nm
Mar 25, 2010

xx ...

OPEN LETTER TO MTSOS
Jun 13, 2010

You all have it reversed for VR.   Those of us that do the VR editing should be paid the hourly wage, not the QA people!  We take this abysmal voice that comes in, turn it into something that can be understood, and is perfectlly fine for the patient's chart, but then you want QA to get a hold of it, pay them $12-15 an hour to make is a pretty report, hey who's doing all the work here!  I want to be paid $12 to 15 an hour to fill in the blanks, put in commas, periods ...

Help With Ureteral Open Repair. Thanks
Jul 13, 2010

Patient actually opted for endoscopic intervention, and risks for complication, including, but not limited to, infection, bleeding, and ureteral injury requiring a s/l medial to delayed open repair, were discussed. It also sounds like there is an "or" sound at the end of medial.  Thanks for any help.  ...

Why Can't I Open Documed File?
Sep 21, 2010

Wondering why I can't open the file....I've tried in express scribe and media player and even looking for the codec online that I supposedly am missing and still no luck. Does anyone know if there is a way to contact them about this? ...

Anyone Able To Open MQCentral Or QCare Yet? NM
Sep 24, 2010

nm ...

When Open Enrollment Is At Transcend?
Dec 02, 2010

For health benefits? ...