A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Working in a doctor's office 8-5 - Florida gal

Posted: Jul 26, 2010

Have a potential job opportunity working in a medical office for one doctor and one PA, however, I need to provide them with what pay I am looking for. Really dislike when the pay question is turned around on me (sigh).  Anyhoo, job is a fulltime office job doing mostly transcription but there will be some other job office duties to help out in.  Sooo~ this is where you come in . . . what kind of pay are transcriptionist making in a medical office these days.  I have only done mt work from home and I would have to drive approx 70 miles a day to get to the office.

Any input, realistic of course, on what I should reply with for pay would be great.

Thanks.

PS there are benefits included after 90 days, so that is a def plus

A lot depends on your area - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
The job in San Francisco won't pay the same amount of money as the same job in Paducah, Kentucky. It can also depend on the type of doctor, too.

What about calling the labor board in your area and seeing if they have some sort of wage statistics that they can provide you with?

How much do you need to pay your bills? For a full time job you can figure 2080 hours per year (40 hours/week x 52 weeks/year). So if you make $15/hour, then you have a yearly of $31,200. $20/hour is $41,600. I'd figure out what hourly rate I would have to have to pay the bills and be comfortable and bump that up by a couple grand a year and that way I could negotiate down to what I really needed.

Good luck. Hope you get it.

From what I have seen... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
most in-house transcriptionist jobs start out around $15-$17/hr.

Office pay - working mt

[ In Reply To ..]
Do they offer benefits? You can ask for more money if they do not. Make a suggestion of what you think would be reasonable and see if they agree and negotiate from there.
Additional note - working MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry, I missed the part about benefits.

Not sure what part of Florida you are in - Not what you would think

[ In Reply To ..]
but historically speaking wages in Florida are not the best, so you're likely looking at $10-13/hr. (My sister is a recruiter in Florida.)

From what I know and seen.... - AnotherFLgal

[ In Reply To ..]
it varies in which part of Florida you live. I got a call about 2 years back from an office I used to work for, and the "then male manager" offered me $8-9 as the "going rate" when I used to make more than that back in 1990 in their office. I saw an ad in the local newspaper a few months ago for an in-office radiology transcriptionist, but it was over an hour drive away from me, paying $17-19/hr and asking for 5 years' experience. I know the local hospitals near me don't pay very well, and the time that I did apply there I got turned down, because I was "over-qualified for the position," (been doing this for 31 years now), so basically they just pay peanuts for the position. I know it's hard when that question comes up, as you don't want to over or under-sell yourself and you're qualifications. I always try to turn the table and ask what it is that they are offering or how much they paid the one prior doing the job and go from there.

Similar Messages:

? About Working For A Private Doctor's Office
Apr 15, 2012

I saw an opening for a medical transcriptionist for a private doctor's office in my town.  I wonder, if any of you work in a private office--won't all medical practices be going to some sort of EMR in the coming year?  This ad didn't say anything at all about EMR, but I'm kind of assuming that they'll be switching to it if they haven't already.   I've only done MT in an acute-care hospital setting, so I also wonder if a lot of smaller doctor ...

Does Every Doctor Office Have Coders?
Aug 04, 2011

Just curious.  And if so, do coders work as the primary billilng person as well or do they having a billing person and a coder.  I don't see too many jobs advertised for coders so I was wondering... maybe not all have them. ...

I Work At A Doctor's Office As An MT, But I Also
Aug 23, 2013

perform document scanning and indexing for all the hospital documents, correspondence and faxed documents they receive.  We share office space with another practice.  The other practice is a completely seperate entity with seperate payroll.  However, we share a phone line and as a courtesy I do answer most of the other practices calls, schedule their appts, and because I set at the front window, I check in all of our patients and their patiens, mostly because the girl em ...

Transcribing Into Doctor's Office Computer
Jun 08, 2011

I need to know what I need to be able to transcribe for a doctor who is 50 miiles away from where I live.  I need to dial into the office computer from my home and type directly into their system.  What Do I need. Thanks for your help ...

Should I Stay Or Should I Go? I Took A Job At A Local Doctor's Office As
Jun 16, 2012

a scheduler/receptionist.  I took the job because I wasn't making anything typing at home and I thought it would be nice to get out of the house and sharpen some different skills apart from just transcribing.  Plus the office is 5 minutes from my house, days with weekends off, and it's a steady paycheck that does not fluctuate because there's no jobs available or I'm having an off dat, but I hate the job!  On my third day, the lady who was training me had ...

Anybody Handle Phones In A Doctor's Office?
Jul 29, 2012

So I just got a temp job in a fancy upscale surgical hospital. First in-house job in 8 years, and I really need to convert this job into a permanent deal, but my first attempts on the phone last week I sort of bombed. Is anybody able to offer some pointers on phone tact? I know I will make mistakes, it would be great if I could recover from them gracefully. >_<*  If someone was willing to mentor me and get me through this next week I would send you a box of cookies or brownies or wha ...

Transcription Positions In A Doctor's Office
Jun 19, 2013

Is it impossible to find a position as a transcriptionist in a doctor's office. I have had no luck at all since I have been a transcriptionist. I have been a transcriptionist for 23 years and nothing from a doctor's office ever. ...

Typing In Your Own Record At The Doctor's Office
Mar 20, 2014

My husband went to the doctor last week.  The lady asked him his medical history, typing it in the computer, then spun it around and asked him to enter some of his personal information, name, address, etc., himself.  Now that might be a first.  ...

Transcription Software So That Doctor Can Dictate Into A Digital Recorder From His Office
Apr 20, 2010

Does anybody know of a good software program or system where the doctor can dictate into a digital recorder from his office, upload it to my computer and that I could transcribe using a footpedal (that I already have) and then upload it and send it back to the doctor?  The doctor would like to start using a digital system ASAP, so any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you! ...

Shorthand For Windows Not Working In Open Office Or Wordpad
Nov 08, 2010

Hi, I have been successfully using Shorthand for Windows for 4 years in numerous transcription platforms with 2 companies.  Now  I would like to use Shorthand in other ways, but it does not work in email, Express Scribe, Open Office, or Word pad.  I can't affod to buy Microsoft Word, so I would like to know another typing program that is compatible with Shorthand.  Signed, Loreen Derry, Shorthand junkie   ...

I Am Currently Working As An IC And Trying To Get Accounts On My Own. Currently Have One Doctor That
Jul 12, 2011

but I am looking for more work.  Does anyone know how I would go about setting something up so the doctor could call in and dictate and I could get the dictation and then type it?  I would rather do the sound files but in case they don't want to do that I would like to know my options.  I was also thinking it might be cheaper for me to pay for their digital handheld as I think they are less than $100.  Thanks for any suggestions.  I really appreciate it.  ...

Nothing But Office Notes And Office Letters With No ADT Tonight And Last Night. A Recipe For Perfor
Mar 08, 2014

Numerous cc's not in the database which have to be added, address and all. Short reports, of course, that take 3x longer than the dictation time. Just shoot me now. I can't wait until I get a new job! Came close today - job lead was 1/2 day too late. :-( Hopefully the other person won't work out :-} ...

Need To Convert From Office 2013 To Office 2010
Apr 26, 2014

I'm starting with a new company next week.  My Windows 7 PC has Office 2013 Professional.  The new company's platform is only compatible with 2010 or earlier.  I don't have the money to spend on 2010, so I'll either have to decline the offer or try to find a way to install 2010 cheaply.  I thought I might be able to download a version for free, since it's not the newest version, but it doesn't look like I can do that.  Any ideas? ...

Overheard A Doctor Telling Another Doctor...
Oct 15, 2010

20 years ago when the DRG's hit the hospitals, one  was complaing to the other... "they treat doctors like a bunch of old dogs now".  Well, that's how  MTs are being treated now.  Why on God's green earth do the MT services require all MT's to work at least one weekend day every week (Friday's and Monday's  don't count). Every ad I see on the Job Seeker board requires weekends.  Are they sadistic or something.  Why do we put u ...

When Does Working For 6.5 Cpl VBC Beat Not Working Because Of No Work?!!!!
Oct 09, 2014

d ...

What Does Your Office Set Up Look Like?
Dec 17, 2009

I want to redo my office space. It's just a little corner in my bedroom because I live in a small townhouse where I rent but I need to freshen things up before I die of boredom.  So what kind of desk, chair, keyboard, headphones, monitor, artwork, etc. make your workspace comfy?  :) ...

The Inner Office, Ltd.
Jun 25, 2011

Any comments on this company?  Thanks. ...

Wish We Were All In The Office Again
Feb 04, 2014

confront some of these MMEs and their snarky notes.  I said SOME MMEs. Some are wonderful, like Christmas and a new puppy rolled into one.  ...

MQ Ohio Office
Dec 02, 2009

Does anyone work for the Findley, Ohio office and if so, your opinion please. ...

Office Design
Jun 27, 2010

I want to reorganize my home office. Where is a good place to look for U-shaped desks? I have 2 computrers with 3 CPUs, printer, fax and reference books, not to mention 3 foot pedals, a mini casette transcriber, office files, multiple 3-ring binders, etc. etc. It would be so nice if it was compact, not spread out over the whole room - everything nice and neat and within reach. Is ths possible? and where do I start? TIA. ...

A Bit Of Comedy For A Bad Day At The Office
Oct 08, 2010

I will be placing this on the comedy board also, but since we at the evil Q have had such a bad day, I thought I would post it here also.  Enjoy the laughs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkN1LcuMoJw ...

MD Office Manager
Nov 06, 2010

I applied to this company a week ago and they had called me back for a phone interview yesterday.  They told me in an email that my scores were great, etc.  After the phone interview (which I thought went well) the woman told me that I would be contacted later that same day.  Well, she contacted me back about an hour later and said I was not a good fit for the company.  Does not make sense to me whatsoever! I am glad I didn't get the job, I don't think I wanted to ...

MQ Burlington NJ Office
Mar 14, 2011

Does anyone know anything about this office and if it employs MTs onsite or at home.  I live down the street and just curious. ...

UNEMPLOYMENT OFFICE
May 29, 2012

NO WORK CONTINUES.....Time for ALL of us who are being cheated out of a living to head for the unemployment office.  How many folks out there will say TODAY...no more?? ...

Job For MT In Tennessee Office??
Jun 09, 2012

I saw a post on here from a few days ago and just had to ask is this really for an inhouse job?  I thought they did away with inhouse jobs.  the post did say $15 an hour.  Maybe we can hope that will be our pay in the compensation package??  I know that is a far fetch but one can only hope that there is some relief coming. ...

Advice How To Get Into An Office
Oct 23, 2012

Any advice on how one would go about getting into a doctor's office/clinic office.  The classifieds locally do not seem to post jobs for offices and the websites for the hospitals are for jobs within the hospital.  There must be a way I can use my transcription experience to get a desk job doing the phones and appointments and maybe a little transcription at a pediatric/orthopedic/whatever office.  I have been without a contract for 4 weeks and I have a few little pick up job ...

Frustrating Day At The UE Office
Jun 28, 2013

The TAA website as well as my state's UE website said I needed to visit my local UE office to find out if I was eligible for TAA benefits, so I went over there today. I was encouraged when on the sign in sheet it asked if I was affected by TAA, and I said I wanted to talk to someone about that. It went downhill from there. They really didn't know anything about it. The counselor put my social security number into his computer and then said I wasn't "coming up." Well why woul ...

Office Politics
Dec 14, 2013

Hi, Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the providers organized? I have one provider I transcribe for who never sends his work and then says he sent it when he didn't. I don't have any problems with the other seven providers, just one. When he does send the work, he always says "this is lost dictation" or "this was dictated and sent a second time". This has been going on for almost six years. I take pride in my work and really enjoy it until I get his work. I always say I can&# ...

I Wish We Worked In An Office Together
Aug 04, 2014

I would love to have a face-to-face chat with. :-D ...

HITECH - Home Office
Feb 11, 2010

I'm wondering where other people have their home offices/work computers?  My desk is currently in a corner of the living room but it's not in the main living area, so to speak. It's kind of off in this nook area off the living room. My monitors face outside and not into the living room.  I'm wondering if I'm going to have to figure out someplace else to put everything to be in compliance? I do have my computers password locked so no one else can ...