A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Do most coders work for hospitals or for private companies similar to MTSOs? - Interested In Coding

Posted: Oct 25, 2011

Is there an "MTSO" equivilent for coders or are they usually hired directly by hospitals?

Try the salary surveys at AAPC - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The salary surveys at AAPC might help you get a good view of the job market. There is information there about salaries, but also about credentials and working situations.

Most coders I know work for facilities. AHIMA-credentialed coders usually gravitate in that direction because the credentials are focused on that. AAPC credentials focus more on physician services coding, so you'll see more of those coders doing office, clinic, and ambulatory surgery coding. Some of them do it for large facilities and some work for medium to large practices, especially complicated specialties. An interventional radiology or cardiology group, for instance. Smaller family-practice types of offices might not really need a coder except a few times a year to set up the coding, the superbills, and to do audits.

There are companies that provide coders. Most of them do facility coding, but it is not typical for all of a facility's coding to be outsourced. Contract coders might do overflow or a specialty that the facility can't handle. Sometimes the company sends the coder to the site and puts them up in a hotal for the week, then flies them home on weekends. Facilities are willing to pay for this because coding is so necessary to a facility's financial health.

There are also salary surveys on the AHIMA website, but the ones at AAPC are probably easier to find. www dot aapc dot com There is a link to them on one of those tabs at the top of the screen.

Remote coding is becoming possible. It is difficult without an EHR, but once a facility has that, they can send their coders home. I know several who work at home full time and some who work part time at home in a second coding job. Most facilities require you to work on site for a while before going home, which isn't a bad thing. It can be difficult to get in the groove with an employer unless you do that.

Thanks so much for the information! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

MTSOs Vs. Hospitals/Private Practice?
Dec 03, 2010

I've worked for several MT companies over the years just to end up going to another MT company for better pay, benefits, etc. Seems like a never-ending cycle. Anyone here ever worked from home directly with a hospital or private practice? Thanks for any response! ...

How Do Coders Dress In Hospitals, Offices, Etc?
Mar 21, 2011

I am just curious.  Do coders have to dress up in hospitals, doctor offices, clinics, etc or do they wear scrubs? ...

Do You Think MTSOs/hospitals Keep An MT
Jul 23, 2012

I've been applying and applying for every in house MT job that comes along in my area.  I have the skills, I have the experience, and all that.  Even for jobs where I would have been a perfect fit, I'm always passed over.   Although I'm applying for in house, I realize that many of them also have outside vendors for overflow, or did in the past, and are transitioning back to in house.  For quite some time, I've had a suspicion that one bad-apple ...

Why Don't MTSOs And Hospitals Get Together And Have BOS Specifics For All Accounts?
Nov 07, 2009

Have been pondering this a lot lately.  Why would the hospitals and MTSOs not want to all have the same specifics so MTs could concentrate on providing an accurate report based on BOS that would then allow all healthcare providers to recognize a standard for their records?  I am so tired of switching to a new account or my backup account and having to change gears to comply with different specifics.  I have one account now that we are told to literally "might as well thr ...

Recommended Companies (private Msg Me)
Sep 08, 2014

I'm really thinking about jumping ship from MModal.  I've been there for 8 years, being a QA/editor for half that and have been nominated for MT of the year 4 times.  Recently it seems they've put a target on my back and I think I need to get out.  I have been out of the business loop for that time, so I don't know what's out there.  Are there any places you would recommend?  Any you would recommend to stay away from?  I know going to Nuance ...

I Think MT Should Be Patterned Similar To The Music Industry.
Jun 24, 2011

Or the film industry.  Whenever their work is replayed somewhere, they get residual checks.  Now that there is an EMR just about everywhere, when someone in the hospital pulls up a report to read, you KNOW that is tracked within the computer system for security/HIPAA purposes.  Everything about that report is traceable to the MT who typed it.  When the doctor reads our report, and later treats the pt. based on what he/she read, the hospital gets paid for that.  When a ...

Similar To The Posts Below But Somewhat Different (long But I Apologize)
Jul 22, 2013

I have been in this business for 33 years.  I recently posted on the main board about having a physical disability and how MTSOs do not take this into consideration, regarding federal laws.  I recently had an eye exam and found out that the peripheral vision on my right side has deteriorated.  This was an eye exam done at Wal-Mart.  I had my last exam done there six years ago as well and at that time, the doctor asked me if I had ever had a stroke.  I told him that as fa ...

Amphion's Triton Platform. Similar To Escription? Is It Word Based?
Jul 15, 2010

Does it have a built-in expander?  How many lph do you average?  Any info would be great? ...

Private Mail
Apr 13, 2014

Anyone know what private mail means?  There is a request to download something to get it.  No way!  I am posting only.  Will never answer any email from this site.  Did that once, never again.  The person (management??) bugged me forever, asking questions. ...

Appropriate Pay For Private Jobs?
Oct 14, 2014

I currently work for a national company doing acute care, both traditional and ASR jobs.  I have work, but it doesn't pay enough to support a family.  I've been approached about doing some jobs for a doc's group, which could turn into something. I have no idea what to charge them; however, I know they won't be getting any sort of insurance reimbursement or bundling for the transcription service, so it cuts out the middle man.  I don't want to short mysel ...

Private Email Question
Sep 09, 2010

If you receive an email from someone on this site, is it safe to respond to their email or could it be a scam?  I am new to this and don't want to take any chances.  They told me to shoot them an email and they would tell me about a company I was discussing with someone else on here.  Please advise!  ...

Private Disability Insurance
Sep 27, 2011

Any MTs out there that pay out of pocket for short- and/or long-term disability insurance? I am thinking of doing it and wondered now much the premiums would be?  I want to continue to be an IC and want to see if this is affordable.  Thanks. Chloe ...

Looking For Info On Private Insurance Policies.
Mar 30, 2011

nm ...

MQ Delisted From NYSE, CBay Gone Private
Jan 17, 2012

My husband and I stay up on the stock market and I have been watching MQ and Cbay for about a year.   I just noticed today that they have been delisted and gone to pink sheet which means their stock consistently fell below the $5.00 mark.  Just a year ago it was $16.  Also, CBay has gone private and claims it is an American Company.  It is not, it is now privately owned by an Indian company doing business with corporate offices in London.  I don't know what thi ...

? About Working For A Private Doctor's Office
Apr 15, 2012

I saw an opening for a medical transcriptionist for a private doctor's office in my town.  I wonder, if any of you work in a private office--won't all medical practices be going to some sort of EMR in the coming year?  This ad didn't say anything at all about EMR, but I'm kind of assuming that they'll be switching to it if they haven't already.   I've only done MT in an acute-care hospital setting, so I also wonder if a lot of smaller doctor ...

Is It Improper For Management To Send Private Email
May 30, 2013

to an employee who is seeking input from peers regarding a work related situation?  The email was obviously only sent to initimidate the employee. Nothing helpful or anything of that nature.  Just a note to let them know they had been spotted on this thread.  I think it's kind of creepy and not very professional, but then how would any of you feel?  This was not a simple reply to a post, it was sent through the private email link on the post ...

If You Work For A Private Practice Oncology Office
Nov 25, 2014

When I did MT, I worked for an oncology office.  Perhaps those may be dwindling like the MT career... ...

Anyone Know Why Semi-private Hospital Rooms Are Still Allowed Under HIPAA?
Oct 06, 2010

I work for one of the big MTSOs, take annual HIPAA training, and know I am subject to fines or discharge for disclosing someone else̢۪s medical info, either intentionally or accidentally such as via an incorrect C/C. I am therefore baffled as to why hospitals are still allowed to put patients in semiprivate rooms where HIPAA rules just seem to go out the window. For example, just yesterday I returned from a 23-hour overnight after an outpatient procedure at a well-regarded acute-care hos ...

Does Anyone Work For A Small Company That Handles Private Practice?
Sep 04, 2014

I am looking for a smaller company that needs help with private practice transcription.  Does anybody know of one that needs help?  I can't find anything when I search.  I am currently going part-time at a large company to get them off of my back about how long I am glued to the keyboard and foot pedal and how much work I do per hour.  I have over 14 years of experience and I am good at what I do.  I want to work for a company that will appreciate that and not hound ...

EMR Question - Why Can't The Reports I Type For My Private Account Be Scanned Into A Computer?
Jan 28, 2012

This may have been asked and answered previously but I am going to lose my long-term account because of EMR in about 2 years and I am not going down without a fight. Why can't I type their transcription as usual, then the reports can be scanned into the computer/EMR? Any information would be greatly appreciated....thanks! ...

Caution, Using The Private Email Function On This Board Allows A Traceable Path
Dec 05, 2014

...and Nuance HAS used this method for tracing negative comments and it resulted in folks being fired.  Remember, anyone can represent themselves as anyone on the public board and request, "please email privately," but I would never ever do this! I try to remember to post this every so often for anynone not already aware.     ...

VA Hospitals
Mar 11, 2010

Has anyone ever transcribed for a VA Hospital? If so, would you mind telling me likes versus dislikes, similarities versus differences? I have 17 years of acute care experience but was wondering if VA Hospitals had any major differences. Thank you. ...

Who Has The 500 Plus Bed Hospitals?
Jun 08, 2014

Bored to friggin death with the little op notes from small hospitals.  Used to work for a large one out of California and there was never a dull moment with the dictation from that facility.  Stupid me.. I moved on when that company was bought out.  Should have stuck it out for the account alone. ...

Why Don't Hospitals . . .
Aug 22, 2014

. . . and larger medical facilities hire disenfranchised MLS to dictate their doctors notes instead of sleep deprived nurses and residents who can't put 2 words together???  I'm not saying all RNs and residents dictate poorly, but in my experience a huge proportion leave a lot to be desired.   What with the doctor and nurse shortage, doesn't it make sense to utilize the MLS' command of medical language?   It would free up the nurses for nursing, the ...

Hospitals/outsourcing
Oct 15, 2010

Currently, I have a FT job w/a very large hospital, actually multiple hospitals combined.  We all once worked in the office; however, they sent us all home to work.  There are about 130 hospital transcriptionists.  We also outsource a lot of work to a large company.  There have been so, so many changes - everything from new management, VR, pay for production.....Communication amongst co-workers has disappeared.  Management doesn't respond.  I'm really wond ...

And Of Course The Hospitals Know It Is A Holiday. Sm
Apr 21, 2011

An the NJA games begin.....   South NJA.  Any other regions NJA?  How can we get other work if there is NJA everywhere?  ...

Nuance Ad Says 90% Of US Hospitals. Sm.
Jul 10, 2012

Has anyone looked at the latest Nuance ad on the Job Seeker's Board?  Note, this ad claims they now have 90% of the hospitals in the US as customers.  90%! I wonder if this is correct.   ...

5 Hospitals No Work...Is This Normal?
Jan 05, 2010

I'n new to working from home, only 3 months now, but have been a transcriptionist for 6 years.  The company I work for has me on 5 different hospital accounts.  They are all rehabilitation hospitals (acute) and do H&P, discharge summaries, daily notes, consultations, etc and I am constantly out of work.   Some days I have no work at all.  Pay is 0.0775 line except headers/footers.  Is this normal?  Each hospital is at least a 50 bed hospital.  I f ...

What Happened To The Thread On The V.A. Hospitals?
Mar 12, 2010

There were some postings on V.A. Hospitals here just yesterday.  Why are they gone?  There were comments about companies that had contracts with the V.A.  Why are they missing?  Does anyone know what is going on?  Are our comments being censored?  Need to know. ...

Golden Opportunity For Hospitals Right Now!
Nov 11, 2010

As we all know, thanks to the way most MTSOs operate, there is currently a glut of experienced, talented, highly-qualified MTs who are looking for something better than just a chickenfeed job at a national.       Some hospitals have begun to question the quality of work they're getting back from the nationals (and the HIPAA compliance), since ever-increasing amounts of the work those nationals have is getting offshored.    & ...