A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

typing in your own record at the doctor's office - office girl

Posted: Mar 20, 2014

My husband went to the doctor last week.  The lady asked him his medical history, typing it in the computer, then spun it around and asked him to enter some of his personal information, name, address, etc., himself.  Now that might be a first. 

Was she - A nurse, PA or doctor?

[ In Reply To ..]
He didn't really type his own record, he filled in his own demographics.

But it's interesting--when you said "lady" it doesn't sound like it was a health professional. That must be against "something" I would think.

Yes, it's against something - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
It's against professional behavior. I would have refused. I would say "I am not here to work, sorry."

I wouldn't mind typing my name and address - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
Um, it's just filling out your name and address electronically instead of writing it on a form, so what's the deal with the snotty attitude, "I am not here to work"? Would you say that if they handed you a regular paper form? You sound like a real joy.

Nope, it isnt against anything! - It is for privacy

[ In Reply To ..]
In the past, you would have been asked to write it out on a form, which they would type into the file, and then they had the issue of the paper with all your info on it. Or, you would give it verbally where everyone could hear.

Now, instead of writing it out, you can choose to type it in, instead.

I am sure that she would have let you write it out on the old form, if you feel that is less like work.

Man, talk about lazy! - Sharoo

[ In Reply To ..]
Who asks a patient/client/customer to do THEIR job for them? I hope they knocked something off your husband's bill for the clerical services he provided.

Part of 2014 HIPAA - Sherri

[ In Reply To ..]
This is actually part of the 2014 HIPAA Law. All medical providers are required to give patients access to their medical records via the electronic health record the medical provider uses. This is not the doctor's/PA's/nurses fault. These things are now required by law.

maybe she didn't want everyone to hear - personal info

[ In Reply To ..]
like SSN (which i refuse to give) and like that

That's what I think - People here are so cynical

[ In Reply To ..]
I personally don't like vocalizing my name, rank and serial number in front of a bunch of other people.

I also don't mind filling out my own name and address, on paper or otherwise.

Gosh, people here are surely cynical, never even thinking there might be a perfectly logical reason for one filling out their own name and address.

I agree, it's more private - - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
I work at a urology clinic. There are a lot of people who come in for things like kidney stones, chronic UTIs, prostate cancer surveillance...nothing very unusual or embarrassing; but there are lots who are there for vasectomies, penile lesions, erectile dysfunction, urinary incontinence requiring pads or diapers, etc. I can see if you're there for what you feel is an embarrassing condition (or one you just want to keep private, like a vasectomy), you might not want to step up to the reception desk and confirm your name, address, DOB, etc., out loud. Someone in the waiting room might recognize your name as a prominent person in the community, a friend of a friend, someone who's been in the news...that type of thing. I'd prefer to type in my own info in that situation.

On the other hand, many of our patients are elderly or infirm, and I think it would dramatically slow down the check-in process if every patient was asked to type in their own info. Surely that employee who asked the pt to put in their demographics would type it for the pt if he or she couldn't.

speaking of SSNs - "the last 4"

[ In Reply To ..]
there's a misconception that giving the last 4 numbers of your SSN is "private." it's not. anyone with nefarious intentions & the right tools can do mischief with those "last 4."
I agree and have wondered about that... - (see message)
[ In Reply To ..]
I've worked where we needed SSN's for the demographics, and I've noticed that anyone born in this area has the same first 3 numbers....including my 60-something husband and 30-something children, so that hasn't changed in many years. If a crook knew your last 4 and took a shot at it, they could try those first 3 numbers, and then they'd only need to try all the combinations of the remaining 2 #'s. A computer program could do that pretty instantly.

I've wondered the same thing about charge card receipts that only give the last digits. It's my understanding that Visa, Discovercard, etc., use the same first 4 digits for all their account numbers...i.e., 6011 for Discovercard. Wouldn't that make it possible to try different combinations of the missing center portion of the account number? I don't know the answer -- I'm asking.
yes, it's possible - each CC begins
[ In Reply To ..]
with a particular number (visa--4; MC--5, etc.). there's software that will randomly generate CC numbers. crooks test them to see if they're valid. if they are...

i've had crooks get @ my account. didn't get away w/ much because i noticed weird charges right away. bank reversed them & canceled the card. i had to file a police report. since then, no more auto-pay.

think of who has your SSN AND access to your acct. (like auto insurance companies). all it takes is one bad apple.

Similar Messages:

Working In A Doctor's Office 8-5
Jul 26, 2010

Have a potential job opportunity working in a medical office for one doctor and one PA, however, I need to provide them with what pay I am looking for. Really dislike when the pay question is turned around on me (sigh).  Anyhoo, job is a fulltime office job doing mostly transcription but there will be some other job office duties to help out in.  Sooo~ this is where you come in . . . what kind of pay are transcriptionist making in a medical office these days.  I have only don ...

Does Every Doctor Office Have Coders?
Aug 04, 2011

Just curious.  And if so, do coders work as the primary billilng person as well or do they having a billing person and a coder.  I don't see too many jobs advertised for coders so I was wondering... maybe not all have them. ...

I Work At A Doctor's Office As An MT, But I Also
Aug 23, 2013

perform document scanning and indexing for all the hospital documents, correspondence and faxed documents they receive.  We share office space with another practice.  The other practice is a completely seperate entity with seperate payroll.  However, we share a phone line and as a courtesy I do answer most of the other practices calls, schedule their appts, and because I set at the front window, I check in all of our patients and their patiens, mostly because the girl em ...

Transcribing Into Doctor's Office Computer
Jun 08, 2011

I need to know what I need to be able to transcribe for a doctor who is 50 miiles away from where I live.  I need to dial into the office computer from my home and type directly into their system.  What Do I need. Thanks for your help ...

? About Working For A Private Doctor's Office
Apr 15, 2012

I saw an opening for a medical transcriptionist for a private doctor's office in my town.  I wonder, if any of you work in a private office--won't all medical practices be going to some sort of EMR in the coming year?  This ad didn't say anything at all about EMR, but I'm kind of assuming that they'll be switching to it if they haven't already.   I've only done MT in an acute-care hospital setting, so I also wonder if a lot of smaller doctor ...

Should I Stay Or Should I Go? I Took A Job At A Local Doctor's Office As
Jun 16, 2012

a scheduler/receptionist.  I took the job because I wasn't making anything typing at home and I thought it would be nice to get out of the house and sharpen some different skills apart from just transcribing.  Plus the office is 5 minutes from my house, days with weekends off, and it's a steady paycheck that does not fluctuate because there's no jobs available or I'm having an off dat, but I hate the job!  On my third day, the lady who was training me had ...

Anybody Handle Phones In A Doctor's Office?
Jul 29, 2012

So I just got a temp job in a fancy upscale surgical hospital. First in-house job in 8 years, and I really need to convert this job into a permanent deal, but my first attempts on the phone last week I sort of bombed. Is anybody able to offer some pointers on phone tact? I know I will make mistakes, it would be great if I could recover from them gracefully. >_<*  If someone was willing to mentor me and get me through this next week I would send you a box of cookies or brownies or wha ...

Transcription Positions In A Doctor's Office
Jun 19, 2013

Is it impossible to find a position as a transcriptionist in a doctor's office. I have had no luck at all since I have been a transcriptionist. I have been a transcriptionist for 23 years and nothing from a doctor's office ever. ...

Transcription Software So That Doctor Can Dictate Into A Digital Recorder From His Office
Apr 20, 2010

Does anybody know of a good software program or system where the doctor can dictate into a digital recorder from his office, upload it to my computer and that I could transcribe using a footpedal (that I already have) and then upload it and send it back to the doctor?  The doctor would like to start using a digital system ASAP, so any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you! ...

Nothing But Office Notes And Office Letters With No ADT Tonight And Last Night. A Recipe For Perfor
Mar 08, 2014

Numerous cc's not in the database which have to be added, address and all. Short reports, of course, that take 3x longer than the dictation time. Just shoot me now. I can't wait until I get a new job! Came close today - job lead was 1/2 day too late. :-( Hopefully the other person won't work out :-} ...

Need To Convert From Office 2013 To Office 2010
Apr 26, 2014

I'm starting with a new company next week.  My Windows 7 PC has Office 2013 Professional.  The new company's platform is only compatible with 2010 or earlier.  I don't have the money to spend on 2010, so I'll either have to decline the offer or try to find a way to install 2010 cheaply.  I thought I might be able to download a version for free, since it's not the newest version, but it doesn't look like I can do that.  Any ideas? ...

Overheard A Doctor Telling Another Doctor...
Oct 15, 2010

20 years ago when the DRG's hit the hospitals, one  was complaing to the other... "they treat doctors like a bunch of old dogs now".  Well, that's how  MTs are being treated now.  Why on God's green earth do the MT services require all MT's to work at least one weekend day every week (Friday's and Monday's  don't count). Every ad I see on the Job Seeker board requires weekends.  Are they sadistic or something.  Why do we put u ...

OTI/Record One
Sep 26, 2014

So, we can stay with Records One but just with no work promised except for as soon as it becomes available. Sounds promising. I wish promises paid my bills. It is a sad day for me. ...

Do You Write Down The Job # For Your Record....or
May 03, 2012

just do along and work?  I was writing job # and which hospital and work type but its time consuming and I don't see the point because I hope not to be here much longer.  ...

For The Record Article About MT Pay
Sep 11, 2012

http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/091012p22.shtml   ...

Job Offering On For The Record
Mar 21, 2014

See link below... ...

For The Record Magazine
Mar 27, 2015

There's a very well-written article in the newest edition, called Life on the Low End of the Pay Scale, regarding pay for transcription, current and past, how WE got to where we are now, and MTSOs' role. In essence, a good way to start us back to better income is to refuse the low pay that lots of companies offer. We have to raise our bar, no one will do it for us.  ...

Path Of The Medical Record
Mar 31, 2010

I'm trying to follow the path of a patient medical record. Pls correct me if I'm wrong. But here's my understanding: the doctor dictates (or inputs his data), then it goes to coding. From coding it goes to billing and from billing it goes to the designated payor (insurance company, medicare, etc).  So If my scenario is correct, then if there is not an accurate record, then it can't be coded correctly and it can't be billed correctly and the medical faciility does no ...

Another Medical Record Breach
Apr 05, 2010

Below is a link to another breach of medical records. We can directly blame the fact that today's medical records largely dwell on the internet. Lest some of you come back with "but without the internet, we would not have jobs", let me tell you that we got along without the internet previously and had higher pay because the offshore vultures could not get at the records and we were in higher demand. We can do it again.   http://valley.newhavenindependent.org/index.php/archives/entry/ ...

Not To Sound Like A Broken Record, But
Oct 29, 2010

what is the best school to go to (online) for becoming a coder?  I have been an MT for 15 years and tired of the feast/famine.  Is there financial aid available?  I cannot afford even $250 down and $100 a month.  Also, are there any companies that hire coders to work at home right out of school?  Thanks for any help!! ...

Does Anyone Know What Medical Record Auditing Is?
Jan 24, 2011

My community college offers this course and I would like to take it.   ...

For The Record, MTSOs Who Are NOT Greedy...
Nov 28, 2011

I want to make it clear that this is not a rail against all MTSOs; there are MTSO's still out there who are NOTmotivated by greed, and who continue to pay their employees very well.I have worked for companies which historically have paid employees much higher CPL than other companies - Keystrokes and MTP (both based in Illinois, owned by former MTs, and as far as I know, all work still on US soil) - and several of these companies actually DO pay employees "more than fair" hou ...

Medical Record Summarizer
Jul 11, 2012

Can someone explain to me what a medical record summarizer does and what kind of pay is it?  Thanks ...

Appalled At What A Medical Record Looks Like Now.
Jul 20, 2012

I began working for a doctor's office and we get referrals.  Some of these apparently are entered by the doctor.  It is the biggest mess I have ever seen.  Sentences are run together.  There is no punctuation.  Capitalization is either nonexistent or incorrect.  There are no paragraphs.  The report is just literally words run together for a whole page. Other offices have canned forms, and they fill in a few blanks.  The paragraphs and h ...

Medical Record Errors
Feb 20, 2014

If anyone is on Facebook, search for the "Healthcare Documentation Today" page.  There is an article posted regarding medical record errors.   It is a very interesting article regarding the other side of what we do.   ...

Electronic Medical Record
Jan 14, 2015

I have been corrected by QA twice on this one. The first time it was changed to capitals (Electronic Medical Record), so I started typing it that way. However, recently I had it changed to lower case (electronic medical record). Both times the sentence was the same... "Detailed in the electronic medical record."   I had always typed this lower case until it was changed the first time. I never did understand why it should be capitalized. How do you usually transcribe this one?  ...

Hate To Sound Like A Broken Record
Jul 15, 2010

but when is next pay day AND could someone tell me where on MQCentral I can find the pay schedule for 2010?   Thanks so much. ...

Has Anyone Ever Tried Using A Gaming Keyboard To Record Keystrokes In VR?
Aug 28, 2010

NM ...

S/l Vista Web Pathology Medical Record. Sm
Feb 01, 2011

Brushing biopsies were obtained with final pathology consistent with squamous cell carcinoma, according to the Vista web pathology medical record from the Montana VA.  ...

Working With The Electronic Health Record (EHR)?
May 12, 2011

I know that transcriptionists at Veterans' Hospitals have used the EHR for years and it works really well at VA. Now it seems that you hear about it all the time, but every single description is different from every other one. Nobody seems to know anything. When I ask how it works in other hospitals and clinics or with MTSOs, I hear that it's really no big deal. You just transribe like you always have. If each system is different, I guess what I want to know is, are any of you using it ...