A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Just signed up with Herzing University. They do have a great program. - Excited

Posted: May 18, 2010

If the coding doesnt work out for me, I will go on to RHIT or other fields within HIM.

Im really excited!

Hoping my Pell Grant comes through!

I'm so happy for you! - Andrews Student

[ In Reply To ..]
It sounds like you have a great plan. Good luck and let us know how it is going for you. I just signed up with Andrews, and I'm also really excited about all that I'm about to learn. Doesn't it feel great when you finally make a choice as to what to do and where to go to school? I know it was huge relief for me. Enjoy your studies! :)

Thankyou! Please keep us posted on how YOU are doing as well! - Best of Luck to you!~

[ In Reply To ..]
:-)

On coding working out for you . . . - Redpen

[ In Reply To ..]
Congratulations! I'll keep my fingers crossed for that Pell.

Here is some advice. It is the same advice I have given to people at work who hesitate to take certification exams or to go back to school, or to start coding ambulatory surgeries or inpatient, or learn Excel, or to apply for a better job. You didn't ask for any advice, but the beauty of online forums is that people like me can meddle all we want.

In my experience, the way we think about ourselves affects the degree to which we are successful. Innate ability, obviously, plays a part, but if you are already working as an MT, then you very likely have the ability.

What you heard and continue to hear from everyone in your life shapes what you believe about yourself. We see ourselves through the eyes of others. We even try to please them by succeeding or failing as they expect.

Right now, the innards of your brain might not have the expectation that coding will be too difficult for you, but you're very close. You have voiced the possibility that coding won't work out and you even have a fall-back plan for a lesser job.

As long as you believe that this fall-back choice is as good, you'll keep seeing it as a very comfortable safety net, so you will have no motive to avoid falling.

As long as you believe that it is possible for coding not to work out, you will see every difficulty, every setback, and every annoyance as evidence that . . . it's not working out. Very soon, you will WANT to fall.

No matter what school you attend, my advice would be the same. Figure out why you think coding might not work out and eliminate whatever the reason is. Take those thoughts and set them free to find a new home. You don't have room for them anymore. Give them a couple bucks and drop them off at the bus station. There are lots of people there who would love to have them.

You might be so attached to them that you can't bear that thought. If that is the case, write them out on a sheet of paper and mail it to me at Andrews School. We have a nice place for them there--they'll be very happy.

Do not allow failure to be an option. In your mind, do not visualize a safety net or a fall-back plan. Just refuse to acknowledge any option other than success in coding.

If you want to continue on for an RHIT after you learn coding, that's fine. Nothing wrong with that. Right now, though, you need to succeed in coding. There is absolutely NO reason you cannot do that.

If you had decided to try being a rocket scientist, I'd allow that maybe it might be a bit much. But, coding is not rocket science.

Every day you need to visualize yourself succeeding in coding, not failing. Success. SUCCESS! THERE IS NO SAFETY NET!

People -- even normal people -- learn to code every day. So can you.

Do not allow failure to be an option.

Redpen, that was the most awesome post! Thankyou - ME

[ In Reply To ..]
I would really like to private email you, if I may have your permission to do so.

Congratulations! - JM

[ In Reply To ..]
That IS very exciting! Good luck and happy studies to you.

Similar Messages:

Just Signed On To A Great Coding School Today - Start On Monday
Mar 28, 2014

I'm one of those that had a high enough test score to get into MModal's program but didn't quite make it.  I had already been looking at one of the Coding schools but wanted to give myself a week or so to think it over and not make a knee jerk move after being passed over by MModal.  Today, I picked up the phone and signed on with the school I've had my eye on and I start on Monday!  I'm actually reeeeally excited - and surprisingly I'm actually feeli ...

If You Have Signed MQ Contract With Old Rate But No Signed
Dec 24, 2010

x ...

This School Has A Great Program!
May 23, 2010

There are several posts here from people who exclaim that such-and-such a school has a GREAT PROGRAM!   I'm going to pop some recruiters' bubbles . . . there's nothing special about their particular programs.  Those schools can't be GREAT PROGRAMS because the PROGRAMS at all schools are THE SAME.  That's right, they're all the same.  Cheap community college programs are exactly the same as those expensive, recruiter-infested ones. In f ...

Great Line Counts Require Great Dictators.
Feb 11, 2015

I'm always over 200 until I get Mr. Mumblemouth who knows he is not forming actual words when he hums through the PE, as my counts plummet to as loiw as 75 LPH.   Then I get a long report from an excellent fast-talking dictator and my LPH jumps to 340.   Question:  Why is it that the MTSO does not comprehend the fact that our production depends on the capability of the provider to dictate correctly?   The horrid dictators are never told they are doing anything wrong as ...

How To Amend A Signed Chart Note
Mar 11, 2010

Gotta question - I work in-house for a group practice that oursources the transcription to a service, then I work as an editor for the final review before the paper copy goes for signature.  The paper copies are faxed to the cc list of doctors on that note.  The original is then scanned into an EMR, with the paper copy then shredded.  There is talk of an electronic signature, but we're not there yet.  So my question is this - what would be the best way to deal with ...

Is There Anyone Out There Who Signed Up For Supplemental Insurance Through Colonial Last Summer
Jan 03, 2013

I called them today and I am still insured with them.  So, unless this is an error on the person I talked to, my next paycheck will have deductions for that insurance in addition to the deductions for the new 2013 Nuance insurances which are through other vendors. Does anyone know about this?  Our policies with Colonial should have been cancelled by Nuance. ...

MT At University
Mar 27, 2010

Do Universities generally teach MT?  I've seen the schools on-line but would rather take it at a college.Just curious. ...

Inscribe University
Mar 04, 2010

Has anyone done the training through Inscribe University? Any feedback would be appreciated. ...

Well I Cant Log In To MModal University If That Is
Mar 19, 2014

oh well ...

University Of Toledo
Aug 23, 2014

Has anyone completed the post-baccalaureate certificate in Health Information Adminstration with the University of Toledo? I've been looking at it for a while now and would appreciate opinions from current or former students. Thanks!  ...

Kaplan University Degree In MT?
Apr 12, 2010

My husband is close to finishing the MT program at Kaplan University.  He will end up is AS Degree - is this a good program? Does he have any chance of getting a job? This degree cost 10 times as much at the course from CareerStep. I sure hope we didn't waste ALOT of money for nothing. ...

Kaplan University MT Degree
Oct 07, 2011

So about 6 months ago I started the MT program at Kaplan University and have been really enjoying it so far. I was reading in this forum earlier, however, and read about a school called Andrews. I was just wondering what the difference was between the degrees that are offered at Kaplan and Andrews and if anyone on the forum has graduated from Kaplan or is in their program and what they thought of the program and if they were abled to get hired right away or not.     ...

Great Transcription Job - Great Pay -
Dec 20, 2011

I worked for LabCorp for 7 years - started at $14/hr - left 7 yrs later at $19.86/hour -- company has own credit card for employees -  called a Clear Card - available to ALL employees - Regular working hours. EASY transcription!!!  Could do it in my sleep!  Benefits.  Had a lot of overtime if you wanted it - ($28 an hour when I left - at time and a half).  I would recommend LabCorp to EVERYONE!  They also have data entry if interested.  lower pay, though.& ...

Texas State University RHIA
Sep 28, 2012

I learned yesterday that the TSU post baccaulaureate certificate requires only 15 hours.  Wow.  I can't stop thinking about it.  I'm going to see if I can get accepted (yes I live in Texas).  ...

Indiana University Health To Cut 800 Jobs!
Sep 12, 2013

WOW.....sign of the times I guess!  This is one of the biggest health care organizations in Indiana!  Lord help this country! http://www.theindychannel.com/web/wrtv/news/local-news/iu-health-to-cut-800-jobs Here is the e-mail they sent to employees: http://media.theindychannel.com/docs/iu-health-letter.pdf ...

Does Anybody Know What Happened To University Of Washington Transcription?
Feb 05, 2014

They used to always be hiring, but I haven't seen anything out of there in quite a while now.  What has changed?  Anybody got the scoop? ...

I DID IT! I Enrolled In DeVry University! I'm Pretty Excited Too.
Apr 03, 2012

I have been talking about going back to school for years now.  Then I did the whole researching of schools and still couldn't make the decision.  Well, last week was the worst week of my life.  I got fired from my main job, by main I mean the one I carried my benefits through (I always have 2 jobs because of the precarious nature of our the MT industry).  My 19-year-old son took my car in the middle of the night while I was asleep without asking and totalled it.  S ...

About Western Governors University's B.S. In Health Informatics
Jun 03, 2014

Is there anyone here who has gotten the B.S. in Health Inforamatics at Western Governor's University? Or is there anyone who is currently going to WGU to get this degree? If so, can you tell me about the program, how you like it, etc? The only thing that holds me back is the pass/fail grading system and transferring credits to other schools. ...

Is The CareerStep Medical Coding Program A Good Program?
Nov 22, 2010

TIA ...

University Of New Mexico Hospital Stands By Their Decision To Outsource
Jun 14, 2013

In followup to this post  http://forum.mtstars.com/474958.html This KRQE news story  http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/business/unm-hospital-stands-by-its-outsourcing-decision UNM Hospital needs to think about the the income tax dollars not going to the federal govt with these MTs losing their jobs (or if these MTs go with Nuance - the REDUCED income tax dollars) that their decision has caused. Also the reduced sales tax revenue. And loss of medical insurance.  It has been said tha ...

Medical Transcription Course At A State University And A Med Terminology Class For MTs Thru Allied?
Jul 14, 2011

I planned on going this route in order to obtain a job as an MT. Do you think this is feasible? I would also be purchasing plenty of dictation practice materials. (Practice, practice, practice!!) Thanks in advance for your input!   ...

So, Who Signed Up For "heavy" Psych Work On The Weekend?
Nov 19, 2013

Who would sign up for someone with an accent with long jobs at 7.5 when youcan do the T account for 8 cpl with terrible dictators? ...

Online College/university That Offers Certified Medical Coding/billing?
Aug 03, 2010

What are some of the best online college/university that offers certified medical coding/billing? ...

Anyone Else Have Problems Getting I9 "signed" By A Notary??
Apr 19, 2013

Even after explaining what Nuance wanted, they still refused to sign (as instructed in the letter by Nuance).    Will Nuance accept scanned photos of SS/License as proof?? ...

Precyse Still Has Precyse University For Training
Jun 16, 2015

Can anyone tell  me if Precyse still has Precyse University for training.  I went to work for them a few years ago and quit because I was only doing 1-2 hours a day for a couple weeks going through the University and waiting for things to be approved in order to move on and was not making any money, got fed up and quit.  I would like to reapply but do not want to if they still do Precyse University training. ...

Oh Just Great! NOT No OT Pay For Me.
Mar 03, 2011

I was just informed that, even though I worked OT in my time zone (PST) and before my shift (second shift), their day is in CST, so anything after their midnight (CST) goes to the next day - that days and hours count in CST. Geez, maybe I should be working my shift in CST hours. That could be nice. I would get to start 2 hours earlier and stop at a more decent hour. This stinks like week-old fish, and I'm thinking the Calif EED might look at it a different way! ...

Great Fun Looking For A New FT Job
Oct 30, 2011

because when I find a line rate that is deplorable, I will email them back a scolding message how they should be ashamed of themselves and I would have applied to them but for that. Imagine if we all did that even when not looking for a job. ...

ISN'T V.R. GREAT!!??!!
Sep 01, 2012

I edit radiology V.R. Reports and Had to post this one..This just goes to show you how well V.R. really works. It printed: Patient motion of skiers detail with multiple scans repeated multiple times to little of L. He said: Patient motion OBSCURES detail with multiple scans repeated multiple times to little AVAIL. Thank God this doctor knows he needs an editor. Most hospitals are letting the doctors "edit" their own work (which they don't do and just sign the stuff and let it go thru b ...

Great...NJA Now But, Hey!
Apr 17, 2013

cause we are fighting for scraps of work.  I bet whoever's idea that was got a big ol' bonus ...

Great TAT!
May 31, 2013

Wow got an email about how great our TAT is.  Care to wonder why?  I get 1 report, finish that, and then spend the next 5 to 10 minutes pushing that freaking button hoping I get the next job before somebody else does, all the while our TL says how wonderful we all are to keep up that TAT and make her look good.  Yeah she gets the bonus and I go on food stamps, what a wonderful company this is!  ...