A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I DID IT! I enrolled in DeVry University! I'm pretty excited too. - SM

Posted: Apr 03, 2012

I have been talking about going back to school for years now.  Then I did the whole researching of schools and still couldn't make the decision.  Well, last week was the worst week of my life.  I got fired from my main job, by main I mean the one I carried my benefits through (I always have 2 jobs because of the precarious nature of our the MT industry).  My 19-year-old son took my car in the middle of the night while I was asleep without asking and totalled it. 

So after having a total mental breakdown, screaming, crying, and just vegging.  I got up Monday morning and said I'm taking control of my life.  I worked twice as hard at my remaining job and made excellent money for 8 hours of work and then enrolled at DeVry.  Filled out all the financial aid paperwork, admission paperwork, took the assessment tests today, and will start classes on April 30th.

Of course, I will have student loans when everything is said and done, but I will also have a new career with a degree in health information technology.  I will be able to take the CCS and RHIT exams when I'm through which, after my other college credits transfer, will be in about a year. 

I just wanted to toot my horn today instead of ranting like I normally do!

YEAH! Good for you!! - bp

[ In Reply To ..]
Congratulations!! You should be so proud for taking control of your life! I am so happy for you and wish you the best!

DeVry University - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
Congrats!! I just graduated from DeVry University (Chicago) in October of last year. I majored in Web Graphic Design!!! Now, I do that on the side in addition to transcription. After I was laid off my main job in 2009, I decided to go back to school. Its expensive, but its a great school. I took both online and on campus classes. I like the fact that the on campus classes are small. Many blessings!

Woohoo! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Congratulations! This will be a great degree for you to have and it will open many doors for you. I finish my health information technology degree next month and will sit for the RHIT. I've already been offered a job, conditional that I get my RHIT certification next month, and the pay is awesome, benefits are awesome and room for growth. Good for you!

Congrats, and please be sure you . . . - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Get the transfer credits agreed to IN WRITING and preferably already put on your transcript BEFORE you register for class. If you do not, you may find that they don't transfer and that you will incur up to twice as much debt as you intended. Credit transfers are a major source of student complaints.

The rest of these suggestions are not intended to disparage the school or you. They are legitimate concerns you need to address before you incur one cent of a loan. Some of the things I will say may be scary, but you need to understand how scary they are so that you will understand how hard you have to work in this program. You cannot settle for just barely passing, or even a B. You need to excel and may need to learn EVEN MORE than they are teaching if you intend to pass that CCS. That is your best shot at a well-paying job, so you need to aim for that above all else.

Check to be sure that your debt burden after interest does not exceed 1 year's pay in your CURRENT job. You are obligated to pay those loans back no matter if you finish or not, pass a certification exam or not, or decide you hate HIT. Many debt-burdened students describe their situation as "a death sentence."

Be sure you understand what kinds of jobs will be available to you in your area with just the degree and no certification. Can you get a job with just the degree? You might need to. What is the pay for HIT jobs in your area? Not the highest jobs, but the lowest, because you have to plan on the worst-case scenario, not the rosy recruiter view.

Check to be sure you understand what the pass rate on the RHIT exam means. More people fail it than pass it. What is DeVry's pass rate on that exam?

Check to be sure the program prepares you for the CCS. How many graduates took it and passed? DeVry has an AHIMA-accredited program. Those programs normally do not prepare you for the CCS, feeling that 3 years of work experience is required to learn enough to pass it. They might prepare you for the CCA. What is the school's pass rate on that? If you do not want to work as a coder, the CCA/CCS issue won't be a problem for you.

I went to DeVry but I'm a - Dropout

[ In Reply To ..]
I was taking the HIT classes but found the credits to be so expensive that I could only take 1 class per session. I transferred to my local community college where I could offered more credits per semester.

My concentration sounds different than yours really. I wanted to be a medical coder and study for my coding certifications. I did enjoy my classes at DeVry, except the cost that is.

Similar Messages:

Just Enrolled At Andrews!
May 11, 2010

Okay, so after much debate and research, I enrolled in Andrews course for coding yesterday! :)  Now I'm just waiting for my materials to arrive, reading over my 1st set of instructions, and trying to navigate my way through loads of information on the student forum.  All I can say is WOW.  I think this course is going to be wonderful and very challenging.  I'm actually a bit overwhelmed at the moment! LOL!  But I'm excited!     ...

I Did It! I Enrolled In Andrews
Mar 05, 2012

for medical coding. I'm excited and a little nervous. Looking forward to getting started. ...

Has Anyone Enrolled In The PCIP Health Ins Plan?
Aug 29, 2011

Am just curious, is anyone currently enrolled in this?  Do you feel it's a good deal?  I haven't had health insurance in about 10 years and looked into this.  For where I live (NV) and my age (46) it's $260/mo with a $3000/$2000 deductable.  For $350/mo it's a $1,000/$1500 deductible.  For either plan it's 80/20 with an OOP cap of $5950.00, then it's 100% paid.  Co-pay for either plan is $25.  They have a pretty extensive provider ...

I Finally Enrolled At Andrews Today!
Aug 01, 2012

I am so excited, although I must admit that I'm just a little nervous about going back to school after 26 years in this field. I know it won't be easy but I am confident I can do it. I can hardly wait to get my books and get to studying! ...

Nuance Auto-enrolled Me In Their 401K...sm
Jan 03, 2014

Probity employee swallowed up by Nuance.  Got a letter in the mail from Fidelity Investments confirming my enrollment in the Nuance 401K.  Only problem, I didn't request nor authorize the enrollment and these jerks gave Fidelity all my personal information including my social security number.  Who knows who has my information now?  With identity theft rampant, these idiots hand it out to just anybody. I am spitting nails and considering a consultation with a lawyer.&nbs ...

Thanks Everyone On Here For Their Advice... I Enrolled In A Course Today! Can't Wait To Start.
Dec 01, 2010

I chose Andrews because I feel it will prepare me the best.  I like their format and their style of teaching.  I feel it is the best match.  Thanks again everyone!!!! ...

Well, I Did It. I Enrolled For Summer Semester. I Am Entering The Rad Tech Program At My Local Col
Apr 13, 2010

After years of thinking about going back to school and then talking myself out of it because I didn't want to face college again at age 40, I decided I need more job security, better pay and growth potential.  So I filled out the financial aid forms, enrolled in a couple of classes for the summer, and here I go.  I'm a little nervous actually.  Been a loooooonnng while since I sat in a classroom, took notes, and took exams.  My retention isn't wh ...

MT At University
Mar 27, 2010

Do Universities generally teach MT?  I've seen the schools on-line but would rather take it at a college.Just curious. ...

Inscribe University
Mar 04, 2010

Has anyone done the training through Inscribe University? Any feedback would be appreciated. ...

Well I Cant Log In To MModal University If That Is
Mar 19, 2014

oh well ...

University Of Toledo
Aug 23, 2014

Has anyone completed the post-baccalaureate certificate in Health Information Adminstration with the University of Toledo? I've been looking at it for a while now and would appreciate opinions from current or former students. Thanks!  ...

Excited
Jun 16, 2010

Unbanned again.  Long story.  Anyways, I am so excited.  I have an interview on Monday at 3 p.m. at my old in-house facility for a transcription position.  They never, ever have an opening so this is unbelievable.  Would be more money (again) and better vacation/benefits.  I am so hopeful for the first time in a while.  There is hope for us!!!  ...

You Will All Be Excited To Know
Mar 20, 2013

I know I was thrilled. ...

So Excited...
Feb 22, 2014

I have taken a position with Imedx/GIS and could not be happier to get back into transcription. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. I did CNA work for a while, long hours, terrible wear and tear on your body and low pay. I had done CNA work prior to transcription. I also currently work at a school as an aide. Low pay, part time, don't get paid for snow days, etc. At least with transcription, I'm at home, I can be flexible with my hours, don't have to worry about ...

Anyone Else Excited About....
Jul 03, 2014

Clocking in and out as work barely trickles in for the next several days??   Email this morning says to make sure we punch in and out as work will be slow-don't want to have to get MUP. It is ridiculous--knowing this happens around every holiday, we should not have to use PTO for the time there is no work---not for a holiday or ever--none of this is new.... Last year I requested off around a holiday and was told that no part-time employees could have it off (It was Labor Day).   ...

Kaplan University Degree In MT?
Apr 12, 2010

My husband is close to finishing the MT program at Kaplan University.  He will end up is AS Degree - is this a good program? Does he have any chance of getting a job? This degree cost 10 times as much at the course from CareerStep. I sure hope we didn't waste ALOT of money for nothing. ...

Kaplan University MT Degree
Oct 07, 2011

So about 6 months ago I started the MT program at Kaplan University and have been really enjoying it so far. I was reading in this forum earlier, however, and read about a school called Andrews. I was just wondering what the difference was between the degrees that are offered at Kaplan and Andrews and if anyone on the forum has graduated from Kaplan or is in their program and what they thought of the program and if they were abled to get hired right away or not.     ...

Wow, Became Really Excited With The Posting Of A New Job (sm)
Dec 17, 2011

Became even more excited when I read that it was owned by a former transcriptionist and then it hit, pay will start at 7-8 CPL, depending upon experience and oh, hey, all of our transcriptionists are ICs.  What the heck????  Oh well, hopefully one of the 50 companies that I have applied with this week will contact me.  Still beating that worn out path .... Good luck to anyone else that is looking! ...

I Was Excited About The Job Posting That Just
Aug 20, 2012

showed up until I saw it paid NO SPACES!!  I have MS Word 2000 and FTP.  I will not apply because of no spaces though.  Dislike! ...

I'm Excited About Learning Something New
Sep 11, 2012

I'm getting everything together to start on a new path. I've been impressed with so many of you who have taken on a new career even though you, like me, are well out of your 30s and 40s. I am inspired by people I've met on here who are changing their lives. I've seen you say that it scares you, but you're doing it anyway. I really have to respect that. Congratulations to all of us! ...

Oh People I'm So Excited
Jul 15, 2013

I had an interview with a tiny local MTSO and tomorrow I start training.  She knows I am not quite ready to totally jump ship and is willing to let me try it out and see how it goes.  I should be able to figure out pretty quickly if I can make good money and if so I can finally say goodbye! The benefits may be a problem, but maybe not.  It's clinic work, all straight typing, with templates, templates, templates!  I can't believe my good luck! ...

I'm So Excited...I'm Getting Fired.
Mar 04, 2014

Made an appointment with social security office.  Already receiving TIAA-CREF payout (from divorce...waited 14 years for that)  Will be getting more money than with MM without the headaches and pay cuts.  And just in time, my audit score of 96.1 this month will be a FAILURE next month.  Guitar lesssons, books, and coffee shops HERE I COME. ...

Texas State University RHIA
Sep 28, 2012

I learned yesterday that the TSU post baccaulaureate certificate requires only 15 hours.  Wow.  I can't stop thinking about it.  I'm going to see if I can get accepted (yes I live in Texas).  ...

Indiana University Health To Cut 800 Jobs!
Sep 12, 2013

WOW.....sign of the times I guess!  This is one of the biggest health care organizations in Indiana!  Lord help this country! http://www.theindychannel.com/web/wrtv/news/local-news/iu-health-to-cut-800-jobs Here is the e-mail they sent to employees: http://media.theindychannel.com/docs/iu-health-letter.pdf ...

Does Anybody Know What Happened To University Of Washington Transcription?
Feb 05, 2014

They used to always be hiring, but I haven't seen anything out of there in quite a while now.  What has changed?  Anybody got the scoop? ...

So Excited I Get To Work ANOTHER Holiday!!!!
May 25, 2010

Totally amazing unless the holiday falls on the 1 day a week that I don't work I can't have it off.....and oh no I'm not complaining I love not getting to spend time with my family! This company rocks! ...

Now I'm Excited!! I Saw That Landmark Is Now Hiring
Dec 20, 2011

I have heard so many awesome things and am just very glad they accept Vista.  I am so praying now.  May not be able to give my kids gifts for Christmas, but a new job would help! ...

Egad I Hate That!! I Was Getting Really Excited About The
Mar 03, 2012

post that said psychiatry, psychology, podiatry and found out it was posted in the wrong spot!!  UGH!!  It was by a person named Sheba if a mod sees this so they can delete it! ...

Actually Excited To Start May 6 W/Nuance
Apr 21, 2013

Just finally able to get established from home and no more commute! Gotta look at the bright side, right? ...

Just Signed Up With Herzing University. They Do Have A Great Program.
May 18, 2010

If the coding doesnt work out for me, I will go on to RHIT or other fields within HIM. Im really excited! Hoping my Pell Grant comes through! ...