A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

This school has a great program! - sm

Posted: May 23, 2010

There are several posts here from people who exclaim that such-and-such a school has a GREAT PROGRAM!  

I'm going to pop some recruiters' bubbles . . . there's nothing special about their particular programs.  Those schools can't be GREAT PROGRAMS because the PROGRAMS at all schools are THE SAME.  That's right, they're all the same.  Cheap community college programs are exactly the same as those expensive, recruiter-infested ones. In fact, the gloats of GREAT PROGRAM! sound like they're being shilled by recruiters.

I feel a need to do this because I'm seeing the same stuff about coding that we used to see with MT programs.  People don't know what is required except what they see touted in chat rooms, they don't know what is available, and they don't have the information they need to make rational decisions.  The problem used to be with the matchbook schools.  It's a little more sophisticated now, with the addition of a bunch of high-priced, easy-enrollment, grant-n-loan onlines. 

Before you jump into any kind of online program in HIM -- coding, HIT, cancer registry -- you need to do some homework.  Don't be like the MT students who signed up for the chirpy program that guarantees them a big loan, only to discover later that the training was so poor they can't get a job.  Go over to the New MTs forum and see what's there.  "Is such-and-such a good school? I am so worried!  I am almost finished and I'm finding I can't get a job. I've failed every job test I've taken."  If they had looked at the warnings, they wouldn't have enrolled there in the first place.  There are people here leaping into expensive, lengthy nonsense because some recruiter has sold them a package of hooey. "I couldn't get into X so I signed up with Y."  Like Y did them a favor! 

You do not need to spend $25K+ to learn coding.  There is no advantage to taking coding at a school where you can "fall back on" HIT if you can't make it in coding.  that's just silly. There is no advantage to doing it at a school that offers HIT.   Recruiters are telling people this, and it sounds like "bait and switch."  

Why would you want to enroll at a school that even considered you migiht not "make it in coding???"  That's a poor recommendation for themselves!   If they're telling you that, then it's happening at that school.  They already HAVE students "not making it in coding," and they don't know what to do about it.  Do you WANT to go THERE? 

Coding pays more than HIT.  You NEED to make it in coding, because HIT just bites.  It is WRONG to tell people they can "aspire" to a job in HIT if they fail at coding.  Check the salary estimates.  You do NOT want to pay $28 to make entry-level pay filing and photocopying.   People spend $30K on top-flight MBA  programs . . . they don't spend it on near minimum-wage jobs.

If you want to learn coding, you do not need a college degree program.  There are programs that teach just coding, and teach it quite well.  There is no guarantee that a college will teach coding better, and in fact, they often do not.

If a college environment appeals to you, you can locate them on the AHIMA website.   There is no reason to choose one that costs $28K, because THEY ALL TEACH THE EXACT SAME THING.  They teach exactly what AHIMA asks them to teach.  That is on the AHIMA website, too, so you can look at it yourself.   Considering that, you might want to choose a community college where the tuition is reasonable.  San Juan College in Farmington, New Mexico, is reasonable.  Try them.

What should you worry about in a college?  Which one costs less--and that's all.  The instruction at all these schools is going to be exactly the same.  They give you a syllabus telling you to read the book, answer the questions, and take the online, computer-graded test.  If you pass, you pass.  You can go the entire course without ever hearing from an instructor. 

Just think twice before you fall for the recruiter's hard-sell. Don't listen to the student testimonials about how they're loving it and think it's a great program, because they have no way to know if it's any good or not.

Here's a warning sign . . . the website does not list costs for everyone to see.   If they make you talk to a recruiter to find out what the program entails and what it costs, it's a big warning sign.   You're nuts if you think that recruiter is there to help you.  Those kinds of schools are notorious and have been for years, you just haven't seen them sticking their tentacles into HIM until now.

Great program - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know what prompted you to write this but I am glad you did, and I definitely agree with you about not having to spend thousands of dollars to learn coding. This is my personal observation, but I get the feeling that a lot of people are jumping on the coding bandwagon without really understanding what coding is. I have some prior HIT and coding background, and as an MT felt that the time was right for me to include it in my skillset. I did my own research and ultimately chose a distance learning program that works with my schedule and that is affordable, and that I can complete in less than a year. To my knowledge, the private programs like Andrews, CS, AAPC and AHIMA do not participate in the Pell Grant program or any student loan programs and I think some people looked elsewhere to qualify for those things regardless of cost or quality of education in order to get money for school. I wanted training that was coding specific, and saw no need to take a chemistry lab or an anatomy and physiology lab - why would you need that for an office job? My personal opinion, based on the questions I received privately via e-mail and the questions being asked on this board, is that some people don't really understand what coders do and are getting into this without knowing much about it. Anyway, thank you for your honest.

Your last paragraph sure makes sense to me - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Hope you are not being sarcastic - sm - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't always proofread before I post and then it is too late to make changes, lol!

No! I was being sincere. If the cost of tution isn't posted - I would be concerned

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sincere. You mentioned something about it being a red flag if a school makes you talk to a recruiter before they will tell you how much the course costs. I agree wholeheartedly! No sarcasm here. :)

Similar Messages:

Recommend A Great School?
Apr 30, 2010

I am researching MT schools, and would like input from current MT's on which schools they suggest, taking all factors into consideration; price, course outline, payment program, length of program, etc. I am also considering billing and coding. I am an LPN, 8 years now, I know all of the terminology, A&P, but prefer to refresh my memory on it all. You may email me at ******************* Thanks! iansmomm ...

Just Signed Up With Herzing University. They Do Have A Great Program.
May 18, 2010

If the coding doesnt work out for me, I will go on to RHIT or other fields within HIM. Im really excited! Hoping my Pell Grant comes through! ...

Just Signed On To A Great Coding School Today - Start On Monday
Mar 28, 2014

I'm one of those that had a high enough test score to get into MModal's program but didn't quite make it.  I had already been looking at one of the Coding schools but wanted to give myself a week or so to think it over and not make a knee jerk move after being passed over by MModal.  Today, I picked up the phone and signed on with the school I've had my eye on and I start on Monday!  I'm actually reeeeally excited - and surprisingly I'm actually feeli ...

Kids First Day Of School, Ready To Work, Just Found Out My Account Of 7 Years Went To EMR. Great:(
Aug 20, 2012

nm ...

Med-Line School - MT Bridge To Coding Program
Aug 10, 2012

Anyone take this program yet? Were you successful in passing the exam and getting a job? ...

Is There Any Prerequisite For The Andrews School Medical Coding Program
May 11, 2010

do they include anatomy? ...

Great Line Counts Require Great Dictators.
Feb 11, 2015

I'm always over 200 until I get Mr. Mumblemouth who knows he is not forming actual words when he hums through the PE, as my counts plummet to as loiw as 75 LPH.   Then I get a long report from an excellent fast-talking dictator and my LPH jumps to 340.   Question:  Why is it that the MTSO does not comprehend the fact that our production depends on the capability of the provider to dictate correctly?   The horrid dictators are never told they are doing anything wrong as ...

Medtrans MT School? Anyone Heard Of This? Looking To Start MT School That Is Affordable.
Dec 21, 2011

:) ...

Great Transcription Job - Great Pay -
Dec 20, 2011

I worked for LabCorp for 7 years - started at $14/hr - left 7 yrs later at $19.86/hour -- company has own credit card for employees -  called a Clear Card - available to ALL employees - Regular working hours. EASY transcription!!!  Could do it in my sleep!  Benefits.  Had a lot of overtime if you wanted it - ($28 an hour when I left - at time and a half).  I would recommend LabCorp to EVERYONE!  They also have data entry if interested.  lower pay, though.& ...

Has Anyone Ever Gone Through Allied School For Coding? Other School Recommendations?
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you reco ...

Is The CareerStep Medical Coding Program A Good Program?
Nov 22, 2010

TIA ...

Coding School - Considering Going To A School
Sep 22, 2011

I am an MT who is considering going to school for coding.  I am thinking about taking the course through Andrews and will probably start next year because I will have to save up some of the money.  I am wondering if you think coding may eventually go the way of medical transcription and be outsourced to India.  I do not think it will so I just wanted to get the opinions of other coders.  I realize it will be a hard course but I think it will be worth the effort.  Any thoughts would be appre ...

Oh Just Great! NOT No OT Pay For Me.
Mar 03, 2011

I was just informed that, even though I worked OT in my time zone (PST) and before my shift (second shift), their day is in CST, so anything after their midnight (CST) goes to the next day - that days and hours count in CST. Geez, maybe I should be working my shift in CST hours. That could be nice. I would get to start 2 hours earlier and stop at a more decent hour. This stinks like week-old fish, and I'm thinking the Calif EED might look at it a different way! ...

Great Fun Looking For A New FT Job
Oct 30, 2011

because when I find a line rate that is deplorable, I will email them back a scolding message how they should be ashamed of themselves and I would have applied to them but for that. Imagine if we all did that even when not looking for a job. ...

ISN'T V.R. GREAT!!??!!
Sep 01, 2012

I edit radiology V.R. Reports and Had to post this one..This just goes to show you how well V.R. really works. It printed: Patient motion of skiers detail with multiple scans repeated multiple times to little of L. He said: Patient motion OBSCURES detail with multiple scans repeated multiple times to little AVAIL. Thank God this doctor knows he needs an editor. Most hospitals are letting the doctors "edit" their own work (which they don't do and just sign the stuff and let it go thru b ...

Great...NJA Now But, Hey!
Apr 17, 2013

cause we are fighting for scraps of work.  I bet whoever's idea that was got a big ol' bonus ...

Great TAT!
May 31, 2013

Wow got an email about how great our TAT is.  Care to wonder why?  I get 1 report, finish that, and then spend the next 5 to 10 minutes pushing that freaking button hoping I get the next job before somebody else does, all the while our TL says how wonderful we all are to keep up that TAT and make her look good.  Yeah she gets the bonus and I go on food stamps, what a wonderful company this is!  ...

Ah, This Would Be Great!
Jul 05, 2013

Just imagine if some of these terrible dictators had to go in and edit to fix their botched up VR reports for a while.  I'm sure it would not take very long before they cleaned up that messy dictation.  :) ...

Another Great Tip
Jul 30, 2013

If you are not sure leave a QA marker....but don't be not sure too many times or we will dock your pay! ...

Thank You OTI -- Really Great To Have NJA At 6 A.m. Nm
Oct 24, 2013

sss ...

Here's A Great Job
Feb 04, 2014

Hope I don't get in trouble for posting, but this is too good to pass up, an Epic abstractor job.  ...

Great Grammar
Nov 14, 2009

It is very interesting to me, now that I have completed the Allied MT course, that grammar was were never taught, besides in high school. The BOS was required, but no emphasis was ever placed on needing excellent grammar skills. I am completely discouraged by the numerous negative and cynical remarks on this site.  MT is a field I choose because I wanted a second career. I am a recent widow, and frankly feel very down because of the many of the comments. Still without a job and very discou ...

A Great Clarification Of Buy-Out
Feb 04, 2010

Please see the following article from - I think - Business Week, regarding the buy-out of Spheris.  I think it should make us all breathe a little easier.  It seems to clarify that there are 2 separate worlds, and that MQ intends to keep its U.S.-based transcription entirely separate from CBay's India-based transcription: Spheris, which filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in a Delaware court on Wednesday, already has two buyers lined up for the privately owned company: MedQuist Inc. ...

Why Is It When You Are Having A Great Production Day,
Jun 07, 2010

the work seems to disappear? I was doing over 400 lph and now no work. This happens every time I have great lph. Can companies do a switch-a-rooney, keeping the work away from people or can the platform be 'fixed' that if you hit a certain lph, no work will download to you? I'm really curious about this. I've been watching this happen for a couple months now. ...

This Is Great......I Love It!!!!!!
Aug 16, 2010

So, I got this super long report with HORRIBLE audio.  When I got finished it looked like a piece of Swiss cheese it had so many blanks.  I didn't even CONSIDER sending it to QA as the audio was just terrible and there was NO way I was sending a report that long...and then get paid 3 cents a line because it might put me over 5% QA submission.  So, I just sent it straight through, expecting to get a call from my CCM on why I sent so many blanks, which, of course I was prepared ...

CLK Is Great To Work For As An IC
Oct 31, 2010

I was an IC for her for a short while. She is great to work for but very quality driven, as she should be. The accounts are varied but very interesting. Here's her website: http://www.clktranscription.com/   I took a different medical transcription position and couldn't do both. That being said, contact her if you're looking for something different in ways of transcription subjects. ...

I Have A Great Idea
Aug 19, 2011

Why don't all of us who are tired of everything join forces and form our own company.  We live all over the country, know how to do the work, know how to QA, know different platforms.  Hundreds of us together could market our own vicinity and work together like a coop.  We would all make the big bucks.  It has to work, as we are the people who keep the large companies in business.  Coops work with any other business, why not with this.  What do you think ...

It's Just Great Being Out Of Work By 9:30 Am.!
Sep 09, 2011

thank you to all those MTs who stayed up past midnight and did 90 percent of the work in queue....and it is not even YOUR account!!!  grrr.  ...

Wouldn't It Be Great
Mar 16, 2012

wouldn't it be really great if there was some sort of email address for us to contact our hospitals directly...without the M*Modal propaganda?  We could say "Dear Dr. ___, I understand you are really busy and dictation is low on your priority list, but if you could take an extra moment and clearly articulate your dictation, the reports would come back to you with less questions and/or errors."   I know...I know...quit dreaming.  It is really sunny and warm outside my window ...

Great News For Me!
Jun 29, 2012

My hospital, which we were told in February was going to be outsourcing all of our work to Nuance, backed off and we were informed today that we'll all still continue to be employed!!!!  Oh, Happy Day!  I'm one of the last MTs in the country that still gets paid well, and I was sweating it! ...