A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Texas State University RHIA - downtime

Posted: Sep 28, 2012

I learned yesterday that the TSU post baccaulaureate certificate requires only 15 hours.  Wow.  I can't stop thinking about it.  I'm going to see if I can get accepted (yes I live in Texas). 

That one does not lead to the RHIA, though. - Too good to be true!

[ In Reply To ..]
I think you may have been looking at the Graduate Certificate. That one does not enable you to meet the requirements for the RHIA. It also is not going to be very useful unless you already have an RHIA, MBA, MD, or some other healthcare degree. I would not recommend it unless you had an RHIA already.

It may be very, very difficult to get a job with that certificate simply because employers will be expecting to hire an RHIA. If you did get one, your abiilty to handle it might be limited because you would not have the background knowledge to support it, i.e., what is contained in the post-bac program.

The Post-baccalaureate Certificate is the one that someone with a bachelor's degree can use to qualify for the RHIA exam. That particular post-bac requires, I think I saw, 4 or 5 prerequisites, then takes 2 years, including the summer in between.

A graduate certificate consists of work at the graduate level. A post-bacccalaureate certificate consists of undergraduate coursework. In the post-bac, you complete the major courses that you would have completed for the degree if you did it from scratch.

For a shorter program -- one year after a few prerequisites -- try the University of Toledo's post-bac. It is 100% online and I believe they still extend in-state rates to distance students. It makes no difference where you live.

shoulda known - thanks nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Medical Transcription Course At A State University And A Med Terminology Class For MTs Thru Allied?
Jul 14, 2011

I planned on going this route in order to obtain a job as an MT. Do you think this is feasible? I would also be purchasing plenty of dictation practice materials. (Practice, practice, practice!!) Thanks in advance for your input!   ...

If You Are Working For A Company In Another State, Do They Follow Their State Rules Or Your States?
May 12, 2010

x ...

To Get A Job With An RHIA
Sep 21, 2012

would I need a Bachelor's degree in something else. I have seen this as a qualification on some jobs. To be honest, I am not sure what jobs would be open to me if I had an RHIA. Any help and/or direction is greatly appreciated. Thanks. ...

Should I Become A RHIA??? Need Help Please
Jul 30, 2014

Hi, I am thinking of getting a bachelor's degree in Health Information Management and becoming a certified RHIA. I was wondering if anyone currently working as a RHIA can tell me: 1) Is it hard to find a job after you finish school and get certified? 2) About how much money can you expect to make? Hi, I  am thinking of getting a bachelor's degree in Health Information Management and becoming a certified RHIA. I was wondering if anyone currently working as a RHIA can tell ...

WGU RHIA Program
Jun 02, 2013

Has anyone here gone through WGU and become a RHIA?  I am currently a RHIT, but I'm thinking of furthering my education.  I really like computers and technology and I think this looks like a good program.  I just wonder if RHIA is worth it because I see a lot of jobs require either RHIT or RHIA. ...

Just Did It..going Back For My RHIA Sm
Jan 01, 2015

I can't stand this industry and what it has become. I am sick of making peanuts for thoughtless people.  I will hold on to my job while I have to but I signed up to go back and finish my Bachelor's degree so I can become an RHIA and get into coding or corporate.  I need more open doors.  I have an A.A.S. in HIT but that hasn't opened many doors.  ...

Should I Skip The RHIT And Go For RHIA?
May 09, 2012

So, I'm confused and could use some advice.  I am in an accredited HIT program all online to receive my AA degree and sit for the RHIT.  I have just two semesters left to complete the program.  I am very unhappy with the education I have received, and I am not sure I could even pass the RHIT.  I am considering quitting this program and enrolling in a bachelor program where I can sit for the RHIA (it's a healthcare informatics degree through WGU).  I am wonderin ...

Is The RHIA Worth Going To School For?
Aug 13, 2012

I'm a former MT who has been in school working towards AA in HIT and will sit for my RHIT this winter.  I am considering contiuing my education and getting my bachelor's degree and going for the RHIA, but is it worth it?  I currently work in medical records and when I get my RHIT I will be a coder where I work.  Two more years of school just seems daunting and exhausting to me, but then I wonder if RHIA would be a good career move.  Any thoughts? ...

CCA, CCS, CPC, RHIA, Informatics Question
Jan 30, 2014

I am thinking about going into health informatics. I've been looking at the program through WGU. Through their program, you complete your CCA credential before graduation. You would also qualify for your RHIA certification when you graduate. They state that a CCS or CCA credential will satisfy the coding courses in the program. Would it be better to do the coding portion of the informatics degree through a program that prepares you to pass the CCS and CPC (like Andrews) or would you know ad ...

Best School To Get Online Bacherlor's In RHIA Besides WGU?
Jul 25, 2013

Which school (that offers the program online) is the best to get an RHIA besides Western Governor's University? I'm not interested in going there. ...

RHIT/RHIA Program That Also Prepares For CCS?
Feb 19, 2014

I am a current MT and am looking to start the transition to coding/HIM.  I already have a bachelor's degree in business. I know I would like to work in hospital coding, at least initially, so I want a very good foundation in coding.  This always leads me to Andrews school, as I definitely want to obtain the CCS to help my prospects.  However, I am also open to other possible opportunities in HIM, and it seems that an HIM degree/RHIT or RHIA would be beneficial to have in tha ...

MT At University
Mar 27, 2010

Do Universities generally teach MT?  I've seen the schools on-line but would rather take it at a college.Just curious. ...

Inscribe University
Mar 04, 2010

Has anyone done the training through Inscribe University? Any feedback would be appreciated. ...

Well I Cant Log In To MModal University If That Is
Mar 19, 2014

oh well ...

University Of Toledo
Aug 23, 2014

Has anyone completed the post-baccalaureate certificate in Health Information Adminstration with the University of Toledo? I've been looking at it for a while now and would appreciate opinions from current or former students. Thanks!  ...

Kaplan University Degree In MT?
Apr 12, 2010

My husband is close to finishing the MT program at Kaplan University.  He will end up is AS Degree - is this a good program? Does he have any chance of getting a job? This degree cost 10 times as much at the course from CareerStep. I sure hope we didn't waste ALOT of money for nothing. ...

Kaplan University MT Degree
Oct 07, 2011

So about 6 months ago I started the MT program at Kaplan University and have been really enjoying it so far. I was reading in this forum earlier, however, and read about a school called Andrews. I was just wondering what the difference was between the degrees that are offered at Kaplan and Andrews and if anyone on the forum has graduated from Kaplan or is in their program and what they thought of the program and if they were abled to get hired right away or not.     ...

Indiana University Health To Cut 800 Jobs!
Sep 12, 2013

WOW.....sign of the times I guess!  This is one of the biggest health care organizations in Indiana!  Lord help this country! http://www.theindychannel.com/web/wrtv/news/local-news/iu-health-to-cut-800-jobs Here is the e-mail they sent to employees: http://media.theindychannel.com/docs/iu-health-letter.pdf ...

Does Anybody Know What Happened To University Of Washington Transcription?
Feb 05, 2014

They used to always be hiring, but I haven't seen anything out of there in quite a while now.  What has changed?  Anybody got the scoop? ...

Just Signed Up With Herzing University. They Do Have A Great Program.
May 18, 2010

If the coding doesnt work out for me, I will go on to RHIT or other fields within HIM. Im really excited! Hoping my Pell Grant comes through! ...

I DID IT! I Enrolled In DeVry University! I'm Pretty Excited Too.
Apr 03, 2012

I have been talking about going back to school for years now.  Then I did the whole researching of schools and still couldn't make the decision.  Well, last week was the worst week of my life.  I got fired from my main job, by main I mean the one I carried my benefits through (I always have 2 jobs because of the precarious nature of our the MT industry).  My 19-year-old son took my car in the middle of the night while I was asleep without asking and totalled it.  S ...

About Western Governors University's B.S. In Health Informatics
Jun 03, 2014

Is there anyone here who has gotten the B.S. in Health Inforamatics at Western Governor's University? Or is there anyone who is currently going to WGU to get this degree? If so, can you tell me about the program, how you like it, etc? The only thing that holds me back is the pass/fail grading system and transferring credits to other schools. ...

University Of New Mexico Hospital Stands By Their Decision To Outsource
Jun 14, 2013

In followup to this post  http://forum.mtstars.com/474958.html This KRQE news story  http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/business/unm-hospital-stands-by-its-outsourcing-decision UNM Hospital needs to think about the the income tax dollars not going to the federal govt with these MTs losing their jobs (or if these MTs go with Nuance - the REDUCED income tax dollars) that their decision has caused. Also the reduced sales tax revenue. And loss of medical insurance.  It has been said tha ...

Texas TAA
Jan 12, 2010

FYI:  The one-stop for Texas contact, David Smith, is very prompt in responding.  He does indicate that Medquist has been requested to supply a list of names if and when any are laid off.  While not specifically addressed, he gives the impression that we must be laid off before we can apply. ...

Online College/university That Offers Certified Medical Coding/billing?
Aug 03, 2010

What are some of the best online college/university that offers certified medical coding/billing? ...

Anyone Work For MTS Out Of Texas?
Jan 18, 2010

Would anyone who works for MTS out of Texas drop me an email? I have a couple of questions. ...

Reporting USA Out Of Texas?
Aug 01, 2010

anyone work for them? ...

B's Keys In Texas
Dec 06, 2010

Anyone have experience with a company called B's Keys in Texas?  I can't even find a website. Thank you. ...

If You Live In Texas And Own An RV
Apr 06, 2013

If you live in Texas (or maybe Louisiana) and own your own RV, consider being a gate guard at a natural gas field. The pay is about $15 an hour and that's 24 hours a day. And while you're sitting in that RV, guess what you can be doing. ...

Transtech Out Of Texas
Jan 06, 2014

I'm looking for some recent info on Transtech out of Texas.  I've checked the archives and read a lot of  mixed reviews.  Is there anyone currently working for them or who has worked for them in the recent past who can give me some honest feedback on how they are to work for?  Is running out of work a major issue there?  Are you able to make a good living working for them?  Do they for the most part leave you alone to do your work and treat their MTs well?  I don't want to ...