A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Just signed on to a great coding school today - start on Monday - anon

Posted: Mar 28, 2014

I'm one of those that had a high enough test score to get into MModal's program but didn't quite make it.  I had already been looking at one of the Coding schools but wanted to give myself a week or so to think it over and not make a knee jerk move after being passed over by MModal.  Today, I picked up the phone and signed on with the school I've had my eye on and I start on Monday!  I'm actually reeeeally excited - and surprisingly I'm actually feeling blessed that I didn't get into the MModal program because my main goal for this year has been to cut my ties with this company once and for all.  An acceptance into their program would've tied me to them for 2 whole years more and after 16 years with them, I'm super ready to move on.  This way, I can get my certification and experience INDEPENDENT of MModal and work my way back into "normalcy" outside of the madness.

Before calling the school I did tons of research, and looked up job opportunities here in my little town and I was surprised how many there were.  The 3 biggest hospitals, a Behavioral Treatment facility, a smaller clinic who all wanted 2 yrs experience, but there was a multi-specialty office that advertised for entry level so at least I know they're out there.

I think this is exactly the step I needed to get out of transcription, to learn something new and challenging, and contribute to healthcare in a whole new way.  I feel super confident in the school I chose and I feel great about this path.  So, here's to a whole new journey! 

Good for you! All the best to you! nm - Laurie G.

[ In Reply To ..]
no msg

Congrats and good luck, anon. I am in the same - position as you and going

[ In Reply To ..]
through with the same plan. I was half signed up when the MM announcement came out and I held off and tested to see what would happen. There was a nagging feeling that I should just go ahead with the training on my own for the same reasons you mentioned.

I went ahead and completed my sign up and start in a few weeks. I was able to test out of A&P and the test was much more indepth than MModal's, so that was a good feeling.

I'm so glad you're going forward with it too! - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
It's such an exciting change, and I think it's best that we waited a bit after the MM testing to be totally sure about the decision. As I said above, I'm actually very grateful now, that I didn't get into the MModal coding program because it would've tied me to the company for 2 more lonnnng years and I honestly don't think I could've done it. This way, you and I can make a clean break to work for anyone we want to when we're certified and also open ourselves up to so many other avenues and opportunities. When I got my rejection notice about the test I was actually devastated about not getting into the program but I see now it was kind of a blessing. Hopefully you see it that way too.

Good luck on your new journey too - I'm glad we'll be going through it together! :)

If you don't mind me asking - Twinklefingers

[ In Reply To ..]
Could you say what coding school you signed up with? I'm also considering this option, but after looking at several web sites, I still don't have a clue who I would possibly go with. Thanks for the input, and good luck to all of you.

Thanks, everyone for the encouragement! :) - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
No, I don't mind saying ... I wasn't sure if we were allowed to mention names here. I decided on The Andrews School. I did tons of research on a handful of schools before making my decision, read all the student reviews and Linda Andrews' school by far seemed the closest to what I was looking for. The training is *super* intensive - their MAIN GOAL is to get their students employment and certification-ready, so they give lots of tips and advice to incoming students about study and success strategies, etc. It's a year-long program, the cost was reasonable and they offer flexible payment plans, and the conversations I've had with Linda and her staff on the phone totally sealed the deal for me. All around, it was a perfect match for what I was looking for.

To all of you who responded, thank you SO MUCH for the encouragement - it means a lot to me. I know this is going to be a tough journey but I'm totally up for it and excited for the challenge. :)

Good Luck! - Andrews grad

[ In Reply To ..]
Andrews was a perfect match for me as well. You're right about the *super* intensive training, but it is so worth it in the end. I passed the CPC while I was still in the program and passed the CCS soon after I graduated. Happy studying!
Great! CPC and CCS! Did you land a position yet? - Grad Too and Still Looking
[ In Reply To ..]
I have applied at several local hospitals as well as other coding companies with no offers. Graduated a couple months ago. Dont have the CCS yet.
Yes. I am working as an inpatient coder. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
:)

My suggestion - Been doing this a long time

[ In Reply To ..]
I just spent a half hour writing a detailed explanation, but lost it. I'll summarize it, but first I'll say that you get what you pay for, there are no shortcuts, and if you don't make a good decision you are going to be back here in a couple months complaining that the cheaper, faster option that you thought was so great because it let you skip A&P, didn't have instructors to make demands on you, was online so you didn't have to buy books, or had fabulous videos, is frustrating because you just found out you can't qualify for an AHIMA exam, has no instructors and you can't figure out why the software keeps marking you wrong, is online screen after screen and you don't have books, or your books have no answers, or you just found out the vids only teach outpatient and you will have to take everything again to learn inpatient. Oh, and at the rate you are going, you'll end up paying so much for extensions that you would have saved money by choosing the expensive school to begin with. And you just found out you can't get a refund because they are (surprise!) registered in a foreign country.

The summary is this...you want what Andrews teaches, the way they teach it. That isn't saying you have to choose them. Look on their website and see the courses they teach, noting that they teach both inpatient and outpatient, with instructors who are working coders, using reputable, industry-standard textbooks, and graduates qualify for the CCS and CPC, and are having success finding remote coding jobs.

You also must be sure the school is licensed by a state government of the United States, that they are bound by that license to provide refunds under certain circumstances, and that they have been in operation long enough that graduate complaints to that state would have shown up.

It does not matter much if the school is a member of the BBB, or claims to be "accredited" by anybody, or if it has approval from AHIMA.

All of those reasons were *exactly* why I chose it! - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Very nice post, and summarizes exactly why I chose the Andrews school. I didn't care about "accreditation" because I've read here too many times that what matters most isn't accreditation, but *certification* and you want to choose a school that can get you there. Not the fastest, not the cheapest, but the one that *teaches* and really makes sure you understand everything before moving on. That takes time, so I'm glad this program isn't rushed ... and it's worth every penny of the added cost to me because my goal isn't to make a mad dash through the material - it's to learn it well enough to pass the exam and to feel confident going out into the work place. I don't see how that can ever be accomplished in a 3-month program, or one that I pay half-price for - I'm going into this like it's an investment in my future.

Good, because it IS an investment in - your future.
[ In Reply To ..]
You made a good choice. You have the right motivation, too.

You are looking to learn the material so you can hit the ground running. Andrews has a long history of preparing students to do that, and they do it so well that employers often don't believe the new grad is a new grad.

"all of those reasons... - catherine
[ In Reply To ..]
Wow...you just made me feel a lot better. Those were all the reasons I chose Andrews too..well that...and LInda (the director/owner) has been in business since before there was dirt...that says a lot...and she talked to me on the phone like I was the only person she had to talk to today. Yep...I was convinced and my check is in the mail to get started this week too.
I absolutely love that ... - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Totally agreed that Linda relates to her incoming students like they're friends, not students. She and her staff said soooo many times, ask questions. Lots of them. And when you think you don't have any more questions, ask even more ... just whatever you do, don't give up.

They really encourage communication from the new students and I love that, it makes you feel more part of a team, and not that you're going into this as a lone wolf.

I'm so glad you chose the Andrews School too! It looks like there are a few of us starting all at once - it will be nice to have the added support from each other!
You can be the "M&Ms Gang" if you are - all from M*Modal
[ In Reply To ..]
Good luck to you all. Not that you will need luck, exactly. If you apply yourself, you will do well.

Suggestion ... juggling a job and school is not easy. You need to schedule your study time as if it is a second job, then sit down and do it just as you would asecond job.

Similar Messages:

CODING SCHOOL - Where To Start?
Feb 07, 2014

Can anyone give me an idea where to start and how to choose an online class for coding?  I've looked at so many and need a better idea of what the most important aspect I am looking for is?  Andrews, Codingcertificate.org, Careerstep, etc. HELP please! ...

I Am Too Old To Start The Andrew's School For Medical Coding
Feb 07, 2012

Dear Friends: I am 55 and I am a transcriptionist of almost 11 years and I want to switch carreers and am choosing medical coding and want to enroll in the Andrew's School.  Do you think I am too old to start a new career? I do not think so, but I would like some thoughts. I am healthy and I know I can do it.  Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your time.  Fondly, Suzie ...

Just Signed Up With Herzing University. They Do Have A Great Program.
May 18, 2010

If the coding doesnt work out for me, I will go on to RHIT or other fields within HIM. Im really excited! Hoping my Pell Grant comes through! ...

Medtrans MT School? Anyone Heard Of This? Looking To Start MT School That Is Affordable.
Dec 21, 2011

:) ...

I Am Getting Ready To Start A New Job Monday And
Aug 21, 2014

I am having problems with Express Scribe Pro.  I have emailed them about 5 times this week and told them I am starting a new job Monday so I need help ASAP and still no response.  Anyone know a better way to get answers ASAP? ...

Anybody Else Supposed To Start DQS7 On Monday?
Sep 12, 2012

I recall getting an email awhile back telling us we were starting DQS7 on 9/17.  But not a word from CCM about training.  How long does the training take?  ...

Are Timesheets Approved Today? Nothing From TSM On Monday Or Today. NM
Jan 01, 2014

xx ...

If I Start Some Coding Training, Do I Need To Start Learning ICD-9 Or ICD-10?
Jan 09, 2010

nm ...

Great Way To Start The Week
Mar 24, 2014

Two emails this morning: one telling me (only after I inquired) that my 88 wasn't good enough for their coding program, the other a "failed" audit of 99+% (again). So apparently after nearly 20 years in this business, I am not smart enough for MT or coding. Good to know. This place is singlehandedly killing my self-esteem. ...

Great Start To The New Year
Jan 05, 2015

First day with a new company. Full control of my schedule. No weekends or holidays. Great dictators. All straight typing.  ...

If You Have Signed MQ Contract With Old Rate But No Signed
Dec 24, 2010

x ...

Has Anyone Ever Gone Through Allied School For Coding? Other School Recommendations?
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you reco ...

Incentive Today Thru Monday DEP And Cornerstone
Mar 04, 2011

Check your MQ Central email. ...

Recommend A Great School?
Apr 30, 2010

I am researching MT schools, and would like input from current MT's on which schools they suggest, taking all factors into consideration; price, course outline, payment program, length of program, etc. I am also considering billing and coding. I am an LPN, 8 years now, I know all of the terminology, A&P, but prefer to refresh my memory on it all. You may email me at ******************* Thanks! iansmomm ...

This School Has A Great Program!
May 23, 2010

There are several posts here from people who exclaim that such-and-such a school has a GREAT PROGRAM!   I'm going to pop some recruiters' bubbles . . . there's nothing special about their particular programs.  Those schools can't be GREAT PROGRAMS because the PROGRAMS at all schools are THE SAME.  That's right, they're all the same.  Cheap community college programs are exactly the same as those expensive, recruiter-infested ones. In f ...

I Start School In 8 Days!
Aug 12, 2013

I am so freaking excited! I hated college the first time around and didn't finish. I didn't know why I was there, nor what I wanted to do. This time, I'm super psyched to go back. I'm so glad I'm finishing my degree, learning again, accomplishing something, but especially taking steps to leave MT. Anyone else starting school this month? ...

I Quit On Monday And Got My Final Paycheck Today UPS! Finally Free! NM
Apr 10, 2014

NM ...

Kids First Day Of School, Ready To Work, Just Found Out My Account Of 7 Years Went To EMR. Great:(
Aug 20, 2012

nm ...

I Had A Great Count Today - Didn't Have Any SR.
Oct 30, 2012

So, MM, don't tell me SR will allow me to be more productive! Because the SR is so horrid, I get more done straight typing. But, MM can't handle the truth. ...

Hey People, Great Job Today 'disliking'
Jan 19, 2015

'jobs' on the board these past few days who deserve same. We 'hear' you, and we believe you! Thanks for sparing the unsuspecting the hassle and horror of some of these places... Keep up the good work. It's all we can do to help ourselves and each other until something happens, and we all receive once again the respect, dignity and salaries we deserve. IMO, I would say if you see 3 or more 'dislikes' on a job posted on Seeker's, RFYL! Sincerely, ...

Coding School - Fate Of Coding Due To EMR
Apr 10, 2012

Wondering if there are any coders out there who can give me an idea of the fate of coding due to the EMR. Are there still coding jobs out there? Would it be wise to attend school for coding at this point or do you think it will be lost to the EMR eventually? I live in a rural area and there are advertisements for registered/accredited coders at medical facilities, but I'm afraid of spending all that time and money on schooling only to not be able to find a job. Any information/insight w ...

Anybody Start DQS7.1 Today?
Aug 20, 2012

I'm supposed to start work later.  No word from the CCM today. You'd think she would send out a reminder note or some hints or something. Nada. Zip. ...

Going To Start Coding
Apr 04, 2010

I am wanting to start coding in the next month.  I have a question though.  Does it make a difference if you have a certificate or associates in it?  Is one better than the other? ...

Thanks Everyone On Here For Their Advice... I Enrolled In A Course Today! Can't Wait To Start.
Dec 01, 2010

I chose Andrews because I feel it will prepare me the best.  I like their format and their style of teaching.  I feel it is the best match.  Thanks again everyone!!!! ...

Wanting To Start Coding Classe
Sep 30, 2010

I have been wanting to start coding classes; however I am worried it will be outsourced like transcription.  ALso I need to work from home and I hear it is hard to get started.  I have been an MT for 5 years. Any advice?  I dont want to pay for school and it be outsourced. ...

Am I Too Old To Start A Career In Medical Coding
Jan 30, 2013

Dear Friends: I am 56 and I am a medical transcriptionists of 11 years and I am very interested in broadening my career and pursuing a career in medical coding.   I am interested in the Andrew's School.   I have two questions.  My first is what is the future of medical coding, i.e., will it be done offshore in the future like transcription and will it be replaced by the EMR.  The second question is am I tool old for training& ...

Going To Start Training In Coding ASAP
Jul 07, 2013

I am going to start training in coding ASAP.  I have been a transcriptionist for many years in house, and it is time for me to go.  My hospital does not offer tuition assistance for coding.   I need advice.  CCS versus CPC -- which is better paying or is there a difference?  I work with someone with a CPC-A.  Is that apprentice degree something you HAVE to do, because I'd rather avoid that as much as possible.  CareerStep Versus Andrews -- From what I can tell, CareerStep is affilli ...

Coding School - Considering Going To A School
Sep 22, 2011

I am an MT who is considering going to school for coding.  I am thinking about taking the course through Andrews and will probably start next year because I will have to save up some of the money.  I am wondering if you think coding may eventually go the way of medical transcription and be outsourced to India.  I do not think it will so I just wanted to get the opinions of other coders.  I realize it will be a hard course but I think it will be worth the effort.  Any thoughts would be appre ...

Possible To Finish Coding Course, Then Start Working At Home?
Jul 03, 2010

Is it possible to finish a coding course and then start working from home? I don't want to work in house.   ...

Coding School????
Nov 04, 2010

Hi, I am looking into taking courses through a local community college for coding and wanted to know if this would be adequate enough to find a job once I have finished. It is a 32 credit hour program and stated that I would have a medical coding certificate once I completed the courses. I just don't want to spend money on a school/program that won't do me any good once I finish. I already feel I did this with my medical transcription course and don't want to waste any more money. ...