A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Medical Transcription course at a state university and a Med Terminology class for MTs thru Allied? - nrk

Posted: Jul 14, 2011

I planned on going this route in order to obtain a job as an MT. Do you think this is feasible? I would also be purchasing plenty of dictation practice materials. (Practice, practice, practice!!)

Thanks in advance for your input!

classes - make sure

[ In Reply To ..]
Make sure your school has access to the SUM program. Have you checked out the list of the best schools found elsewhere on this forum? Make sure you read some of the pros and cons before you decide to do this.

for sure - nrk

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I have checked out the AHDI approved schools, and have spoken with the prof of the Transcription class at the university and what it entails. The reason I am not going the traditional route of completing an entire program is because I work full time, and am also in school finishing my second bachelor's degree. Once that is done, I'll be starting on a Master's degree next year.

I have been researching the MT field extensively for the past few months. I don't think I will be making it my life long career, but I do think it will be a good choice for me while I'm finishing school and as an "on the side" job in the future. I have been absolutely miserable at my current job (at a hospital) for the past few years, and am anxious to get out ASAP.

I realize that becoming an MT doesn't happen over night and requires a lot of hard work and determination, and that taking a somewhat non-traditional approach to my MT education will require extra hard work on my part.

Thanks again for your thoughts/opinions/input!!

One more thought - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Please consider that some schools are held in high regard by MTSOs (who have the power to hire) and others are not.....

would not go for MT as a career any longer - anonyn

[ In Reply To ..]
I would not do MT as a career any longer if I were young or looking for a career. There are too many MTs out there and not enough work. So much is going to speech recognition and editing will be what you are doing instead of transcribing, which pays less. I have been doing it for over 20 years and now I am going to have to learn something new as this profession is going away fast.

Don't do it - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
A better choice would be either Andrews or M-TEC. You need the SUM program and live instructors.

Actually - nrk

[ In Reply To ..]
I actually wasn't going for opinions on if I should enter the MT field or not, I was more asking for input on if my route for MT education would be adequate. I've already made my decision to become an MT. I appreciate the advice of you experienced MTs, but my mind isn't going to be changed on that matter.

I'm attending a state university, so I don't understand where you think I'd be lacking live instructors? My instructors will actually be more "live" than they would be through Andrews or M-Tec. Again, I'm not going the traditional route of completing an entire program through an AHDI approved school because of financial reasons (I understand Financial Aid is available, but I am already $30k+ in debt for my other studies) and because I need to finish quickly. I also really can't afford to waste my time and money on areas such as keyboarding, MS Word, Excel, etc. I know those things, and I'm good at them.

Also, perhaps you missed where I stated that I'm not looking to make a lifelong career as an MT. I have to work while I finish my degrees, and I need something that offers a little bit of flexibility. I would, however, like to have MT as an "on the side" option for a little bit of extra income when I have time on the weekends and holidays, once it's all said and done.

Yes, I am unhappy in my hospital job. I'm unhappy with my coworkers and talking on the phone to patients. The only parts of my job I do enjoy are when I am able to work quietly on my own, working on my own projects. I love typing. I have an ear for ESL. Reading reports is also one of the few parts of my current job that I enjoy.

Well, it appears that you aren't looking for "real" advice... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Rather it appears that you want experienced MTs to tell you that you are making the right decision, which you are not. Complete your "partial" course, spend that money, and then learn the hard way that you will not find employment. I speak from experience. It took being burned by one of the "less" expensive courses and not even being able to pass a real MT PE to wake up and then do it all over...this time with a school that actually DID provide the education necessary to find gainful employment. Now, I am happily working for a wonderful company and am very proud of my accomplishments, but I will say it took putting ALL of myself into the course and then learning new accounts. Good luck!

Did you read Old Pro's post at all? All she did was tell you - what you needed to have in the program. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Perhaps it was YOU who missed what her answer was.

Bang your little hard head away, though! LOL

I would go with Andrews - x

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a friend going through M-Tec right now and she is not very happy with the changes they've made with the program. Of course, this is just one person's opinion, and you may love M-Tec.

Selecting a MT school - Mo2know
[ In Reply To ..]

Employers have their pick of candidates. There are thousands of people looking. Select wisely.

How did M-Tec change their program?

What it was is not what it is - MT2

[ In Reply To ..]
You posted, "Also, perhaps you missed where I stated that I'm not looking to make a lifelong career as an MT. I have to work while I finish my degrees, and I need something that offers a little bit of flexibility. I would, however, like to have MT as an "on the side" option for a little bit of extra income when I have time on the weekends and holidays, once it's all said and done. "

Those types of positions are for the most part no longer available in the MT field, and those positions that are available, want someone with proven skills and track record.

I'm not telling you to not enter the MT field, but I do want to tell you what you will face, especially going the route you've outlined. You will need 2 years experience on all work types. Medical terminology classes would not offer that.

Also the flexibility that you say you need would not likely be available to you either. More and more, positions are filled based on specific time frames that the MT and MTSO agree upon.

I get the feeling that you desire to do MT stems from thinking it can be done at home, be major flexible, and provide you with income. You might want to step back and look at the reality of those things.

Back in the day, self-taught MT worked, but it just really doesn't do so anymore. As was suggested, if you really want to work in the field, you might want to align yourself with a program that will allow you to cut out the things you know (i.e. keyboarding etc) but with a good enough program and reputation to assist you in finding a job.

Good luck!!
Taking your advice - nrk
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for your input. :)

Yes, you are right that part of my wanting to be an MT comes from wanting to be able to work from home, flexibility, etc.. but I honestly do feel that I'd enjoy the work. I work best when I work quietly and to myself. A fascination with the medical reports is one (and probably the only) aspect of my current job that I enjoy. I love to type, and am pretty decent at it. As I think I mentioned in a previous post, I have a great ear for ESL, (though I'm sure in my future career I'll run across more than a few that will make me want to tear my hair out, which is to be expected) among other things. So, it's not necessarily *just* wanting to work from home and the felixbility, but yes, that is a part of my MT desire.

Maybe I misspoke (mistyped, lol) when I said "flexibility". I realize that setting your own hours as an MT isn't all that feasible, but having the option to work late nights/weekends/holidays/etc is something that would be very helpful to me. (My current gig is strictly M-F, 8:00 - 5:00.)

Also, I will be taking the advice of you current and experienced MTs when it comes to education. I'll still be taking the class at my State Univ, but instead of doing Allied's Medical Terminology course for MTs, I am looking into doing the SUM program on my own. I know that it isn't recommended to do on your own, but I'm confident I can handle it. I'll also have access to my prof at the State U for help and feedback while I'm working on the program. On that note, if anyone has or knows of where I can find a used SUM program, any info would be appreciated!! (I saw a few on the Classified board here, but they have understandably already been sold.)
SUM program - MT2
[ In Reply To ..]
Check periodically on Ebay. Right now I just see a pathology program. But they do get things once in a while.

http://www.hpisum.com/sumprogram/

You can get it there too and that site might be just what you are looking for. I think it might be a really good fit for you. ;-)

Similar Messages:

Texas State University RHIA
Sep 28, 2012

I learned yesterday that the TSU post baccaulaureate certificate requires only 15 hours.  Wow.  I can't stop thinking about it.  I'm going to see if I can get accepted (yes I live in Texas).  ...

Class Action Lawsuit/Toth Transcription/AP Medical/AP MedWorkshops
Feb 18, 2011

Anybody who in interested in filing a class action lawsuit against Toth Transcription/AP Medical/AP MedWorkshops please contact. I have spoken with several different agencies as I am sure most of you have and this seems to be the best route to take.  Frankly, I do not care if I personally ever see a dime out of this man, I just want to see him have to pay for his fraudulent business practices. ...

Disappointment In Allied Medical School
Jan 25, 2010

I am so deeply disappointed in Allied Business School/Medical School. I am so deeply disappointed in AIM/**** who never lived up to her end of a business deal.   I have wasted so much time and money in attempting to become a Medical Transcriptionist.   I'd rather clean toilets. Anonymous   **** Do not identify individuals. Moderator **** ...

Medical Terminology
Mar 22, 2010

Tachy palpitations is this tachy/palpitations or tachy-palpitations or one word? ...

What Allied Medical Schools Told Me... Is THIS True?
May 12, 2010

A representative from Allied Medical Schools told me this:   Our program is designed to prepare you for not only the career, but also for the AAPC’s CPC-A exam which is the first certification you can obtain as a new medical coder. The AHIMA certification requires a degree program that usually takes about 2 years to complete and to pursue that, you must already have your CPC-A certification. Some employers may ask for a AHIMA cert but there are plenty of employers that do not and th ...

Spanish Medical Terminology
Dec 29, 2011

I need suggestions for programs that teach medical terminology in Spanish.  Thanks.  ...

Online College/university That Offers Certified Medical Coding/billing?
Aug 03, 2010

What are some of the best online college/university that offers certified medical coding/billing? ...

Does Anybody Know What Happened To University Of Washington Transcription?
Feb 05, 2014

They used to always be hiring, but I haven't seen anything out of there in quite a while now.  What has changed?  Anybody got the scoop? ...

Doctors Reported To Their State Medical Board For Malpractice, How About Maldictation?
Jun 14, 2013

When a doctor repeatedly, deliberately makes vocal utterances that do not even come close to forming words, whose dictation cannot be deciphered by MTs with 20-30 years experience in his specialty, shouldn't this doctor be reported?  ...

If You Are Working For A Company In Another State, Do They Follow Their State Rules Or Your States?
May 12, 2010

x ...

Saince Testing? Transcription Or Vocabulary/terminology Type Testing?
Jun 16, 2014

Anyone willing to tell if it is multiple dictations, how many, etc.  Were you able to get foot pedal to work with it? any info helpful.  ...

Capitalization - Los Angeles Class/Class A esophagitis
Dec 17, 2012

Los Angeles class/Class A esophagitis. Is "class" capped or no?   Thank you. ...

Medical Transcription At Home To Become A Medical Scribe?
Jan 20, 2015

Has anybody left medical transcription at home to become a medical scribe?  I have an opportunity to do so but there aren't any scribes currently in my area and I don't know anyone who has worked as a scribe before.  The scribe position starting pay is almost double what I make as an MT per hour so it is very tempting, I just don't know much about it. ...

Can Anyone Tell Me Info On August Medical Transcription Or Transcription South
May 29, 2013

I have found a few things on these companies but was looking to find a little more in depth information from past or current employees. ...

Class 2 Or Class II Tuberculosis (nm)
Dec 30, 2010

x ...

Allied
Apr 23, 2010

I have been doing due diligence & am disappointed to find so many negatives about Allied. I don't understand why this program, that appears to be considered substandard in the industry, was approved. I have completed a local program that was fine for what it provided, but I feel & know that I need more. I want the next step to be the final step. Nobody wants to do 3 programs! I hear those who talk about cost. However, there are many considerations when choosing. Not everyone can af ...

Has Anyone Gone To Allied For MT School?
Dec 31, 2009

Just wondering if anyone went to Allied Medical Schooling for MT and how they liked it? How did you do and if you felt prepared for work after getting done with it? I just want to know how others done with it and how they liked it? ...

MT Course At ALLIED Med School
Jan 23, 2010

Has anyone heard anything about Allied Medical School's Medical Transcription course? They are approved by AHDI, the price is reasonable (not cheapest but not most expensive) and the course includes a laptop, CD materials and actual textbooks(unlike CareerStep that provides photo copies). I want to get started on my schooling but I want to make the best choice I can. Any info/feed back would be greatly appreciated. ...

Allied Program
Apr 22, 2010

Has anyone here completed the Allied program? I'd appreciate hearing about your experience, any job assistance they may provide, & whether you'd make the same choice if you could do it again. Thanks! ...

NEWBIE FROM ALLIED
Apr 26, 2010

I am about to complete my course with ALLIED MEDICAL SCHOOLS, but I'm running into the same problems with companies not wanting to hire newbies.  EVERYONE is wanting 2+ yrs experience.  I didn't take this course to work at a hospital, I took it to work from home.  Now I'm finding everyone telling me to find a local job to gain the experience I need to land an MT company job.  I am so worried I have made the wrong decision to do this and now will have to go back ...

Has Anyone Went To Allied Schools?
Jan 31, 2011

Has anyone went to Allied Schools?  They are ADHI approved but do not use SUM.  I have talked to many school and would like to know if anyone went here and what their impression was.  Thanks. ...

Allied Schools
Feb 28, 2011

I am going through Allied Schools Medical Transcription program and I was wondering if anyone else out there has gone through them and what they thought. I am close to graduating and also wanted to hear how difficult it was to find a job for an entry level position. Thanks! ...

Almost Done With Allied MT Finals!
Apr 26, 2011

I am in Allied MT school, and working on my finals.  I am truly concerned that my lack of experience will hinder me finding a job. Any information on companies that hire new MTs would be appreciated. Thanks ...

Prn Military Transcription/prn Medical Transcription
Jun 25, 2014

Anyone hear from them yet?  Over 1100 views, that means a billion resumes. ...

Offshore Transcription Stories Wanted- Medical Malpractice Cases Related To Offshore Transcription M
Oct 15, 2009

A legal contact was inquiring about the connection of medical mistakes related to off-shored transcription mistakes.  I have told him to review these boards and hopefully he will benefit from the information here.  While he did not discuss the exact case, I think that he will be able to use the off-shore transcription issue to his client's benefit or at least highlight that the provider in question does not have as rigorous control on processing records as other pr ...

MT At University
Mar 27, 2010

Do Universities generally teach MT?  I've seen the schools on-line but would rather take it at a college.Just curious. ...

Completed Allied Course - Feeling Unprepared...
Apr 25, 2010

I have recently completed the Allied MT course, and as I begin to test for companies, I realize that I am not prepared for the real world of the MT. As I have already spent a great deal of money, taking the Andrews course is not a viable option for me. If I could turn back time..... Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions of ways that I could obtain some "real world" practice so that I may be better prepared for my career? I have searched for mentorships, as I would love to have an MT to help ...

Inscribe University
Mar 04, 2010

Has anyone done the training through Inscribe University? Any feedback would be appreciated. ...

Well I Cant Log In To MModal University If That Is
Mar 19, 2014

oh well ...

University Of Toledo
Aug 23, 2014

Has anyone completed the post-baccalaureate certificate in Health Information Adminstration with the University of Toledo? I've been looking at it for a while now and would appreciate opinions from current or former students. Thanks!  ...