A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I want to be a coder so bad but no one will give me a chance....aaaghhh - frustrated

Posted: Mar 07, 2013

I spent two years getting my degree and then my RHIT and then my CPC, but I cannot get a job and am beyond frustrated!!!!!  I worked in medical billing before I became an MT, but that was years ago, but that doesn't even matter because I get the same answer every time I apply, "no experience, sorry, we can't hire you." Boooo!!!!!!  I feel like I've wasted two years of life putting myself through school, working nights, spending time away from my family...for what...to be an MT again!!! Yuck, I hate MTing, but have to pay my bills.  I don't know what else I can possibly do.  I've applied for outpatient coding, inpatient coding, HIM jobs, medical billing, even a file clerk and all have been NO.  I've attended my local AHIMA meetings, networked myself, but apparently my credentials mean nothing.  Sorry all, just needed to vent.....aaahhhhhhh

i feel for you - x

[ In Reply To ..]
I was also a MT for a very long time and just made the transition to being a coder. I just want to give you positive feedback and positive thoughts. You have achieved so much!!! Yes, I understand the bills need to be paid, and you want to start your new career. Understandably so. Just know that there are places out there who do hire people with no experience. I am eternally grateful for the opportunity that I have been given. The salary is LOW, but I need the experience above all things. The salary will come in time and with credentials. Traveling on the road 2 hours a day. Not complaining, still grateful and loving the job. I feel your frustration, and just know that it is not impossible. Best of luck.

Are you driving? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
How is it going? Are you driving 1 hour each way? Cost of gas and low pay? How are you doing it? I want to do that, but not sure I can. I would have to communte at least that far, and with the low pay and cost of gas, it's just not practical, but I think I will need to widen my horizons. Thanks for your inspiration and posting here. It keeps me going!

are you driving - answer - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for asking. It's going okay. I am actually driving to the country instead of the city, so the drive is very pleasant, and I have no traffic whatsoever. Yes, I am spending approx. $50/week on gas, and it's a challenge to keep up with the house. I have been cooking 3 meals (or at least the main part of it) on the weekends and then just pull it out in the evening when I get home, cook some rice or pasta, salad, and there's supper! My son and husband have been pitching in and doing extra around the house. They want me to succeed.

It was a no-brainer decision for me because I needed a job in coding, any job, and this is what was offered to me. Out of about 5 applications, they are the only people who called me for an interview. I will get no increase in pay when I get my credentials, no increase for anything because they have been on a freeze for several years. I will also not be reimbursed for any of my credentialing exams. BUT, I am okay with that. I knew I would start out at the bottom, and this is the salary I expected. It's still a lot more than I was bringing home as a MT in the past few years. The sky is the limit after a couple of years. Good luck to you.

This worries me - worried

[ In Reply To ..]
I am going to start taking courses (4 to be exact) at a local community college which will allow me to take the CPC exam but I am worried about having no experience when I finish school and whether or not I can get a job. I am also an MT whose job was eliminated because of outsourcing. I now work in a medical office scheduling appts and checking in patients but would much rather be working at home again doing transcription but I know that is soon to be a thing of the past, so that is why I am looking into coding. What do you all think? Any advice is much appreciated!

I think you should stop worrying - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The people who are having trouble getting a coding job are mostly unable to get ANY job that would even lead to a coding job.

You are not in that position because you already have a job in a medical office, which is where you want to be. When you finish your coding course, you aren't going to be trying to "get a job." You'll be trying to get a different job. In other words, unless you quit your current job, you won't be unemployed and desperate.

Furthermore, you are working in a setting in which it is very easy to GET experience. You're IN an office that DOES coding, so you can help out, expand your role, and augment your learning. You can even use that experience to remove the A from your CPC-A.

I would not worry about this. Don't set up roadblocks and fears that aren't really there. Just take the courses, learn what you can, and get certified. Education never hurts.

I don't know what type of course you are going to take, but if it isn't terribly expensive, go for it. You can always take another course later if you need to.

Mismatched credentials - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
My guess is that you may be putting potential employers off by sending the wrong credential message. There is more behind the credentials than you may realize.

You have an RHIT and attend AHIMA functions, and presumably apply for jobs in hospitals and other places where are employers are primarily AHIMA-credentialed. That is fine, so far.

The problem is that your coding credential is from a "rival" organization, the AAPC. You might not know that the two organizations have a long-standing feud going about whose coding credentials are better. To a lot of AHIMA folks, the AAPC's coding credentials are meaningless.

In essence, you have inadvertently allied yourself with the enemy by advertising the "wrong" credential, and it is a credential they do not accept.
If you are a member, they will refuse to accept it as another credential, although they will accept credentials from organizations they accept. Just try to update your member info with it.

You can improve things, believe it or not, by using only the RHIT. Get the CCS, or the CCS-P, or barring those, the CCA. Use those to establish yourself.

You may also live in an area where the local AHIMA culture values coming up through the ranks. Take any job you can get in HIM. The people doing the hiring likely did that, so they expect you to do so. Expecting to come straight into coding may seem presumptuous.

Also, you cannot have the CPC if you have no coding experience. Be sure to use the correct credential, the CPC-A. You should have gotten one year's experience waived because of your degree, so mention that you only need one more year. If you do somehow have the full CPC, be sure to provide evidence of that, because everyone will assume that you could not possibly have it.

Similar Messages:

Is There Any Advice A Coder To Give An MT For A
Oct 24, 2013

what can we do to make your job easier? I've been an MT for 25+ years and would like to get into coding. ...

Question For Coder & Coder 2
Sep 28, 2013

When asked to code pulmonary nodule, with no other information, how can you tell the correct code?  Under nodule I see pulmonary, solitary 793.11, I see lung, solitary 793.11 & solitary, lung 518.89. I already know that the 518 one is correct but I have no idea why. ...

Here Is Your Chance EVERYONE!
Feb 06, 2010

This is an article about how MQ wants to buy Spheris and CBAY wants to buy the other part of Spheris.  At the end of this article is for you to post your comments and let these people know what we think!!!  I just did my part and let them know what  I really thought of all this!!    http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/20100205/NEWS/302059988/1153   What do you think? Write us with your comments at hitsdaily@modernhealthcare.com. Please include your name, tit ...

Here Is Your Last Chance EVERYONE!
Feb 06, 2010

This is an article about how MQ wants to buy Spheris and CBAY wants to buy the other part of Spheris.  At the end of this article is for you to post your comments and let these people know what we think!!!  I just did my part and let them know what  I really thought of all this!!  If this buyout occurs, it will make MQ and CBAY the largest and all their bad practices will filter down to the rest of the companies and could get worse for MT/QA in the future.  Speak your m ...

I Will Never Have The Chance To Really Get
Sep 08, 2010

I keep getting NJA!! Oh well, I hate it anyway.  I don't like the numbering (can't get used to it and keep typing numbers the old way and then have to go back and fix it).  I HATE the physician lookup now. Lord please get me out of here soon!!!!! ...

If You Had A Chance...
Jun 02, 2011

to pick up your own account, what would you charge? ...

Need A Chance!
Feb 20, 2012

I am a 40+ year old transcriptionist who has been self employed for 15+ years.  I am a hard worker and good at what I do.  Unfortunately my accounts are drying up because of the "Obama Kickback" to physicians who are willing to convert to EMR and I need to get a job on-line.  But as I am finding out no one is willing to give me a chance because I have no acute care experience. I have worked for all kinds of providers: urologist, pediatrician, endocrinologist, but none of that seem ...

Got A Chance At A Gvt Job
Apr 14, 2014

Need to put resume together and get out..Pays to have friends that do the hiring too..Really, really not looking forward to getting up, getting dressed, and traveling..But this horse is almost dead, think it is time for bigger and better things. ...

Fair Chance Or Not?
Mar 03, 2012

Was just wondering if you seasoned MT's think 5 weeks on a new job is a fair chance for a fairly new MT? New platform to be learned, and the dictations were from a big pool with a lot of different doctors, though not many ESL's, and QA was pretty picky. Any opinions on this? ...

Chance To Get Out Of MModal
Oct 21, 2013

Unfortunately, because no one can come close to the low cost of health insurance that M*Modal has, I can't justify switching jobs. WHYYYY does my dear husband have to work for a tiny company that doesn't offer benefits??? WHYYYY, with everything else that is horrible about M*Modal, why do they have to actually offer decent insurance options compared to everything else out there? I can't, in good conscience, walk away from my current situation to one where we would take a big fi ...

No Chance Of A Raise
Oct 27, 2013

As an MT, there's no chance of getting a raise or promotion, and so there's little incentive or motivation, especially being paid pennies per line. Yet, they expect you to participate in continuing education, which takes additional time and perhaps even money. What a joke. They don't expect crew members at McDonald's to take extra time off work hours, and they get paid the same amount. No point in complaining, I know, but it's so ridiculous. ...

Chance Of Getting Unemployment
Jul 28, 2014

Has anyone had any luck in getting unemployment from Nuance after being let go?  It seems like it's taking forever and I wondered if they make it difficult.  TIA. ...

The Idiot Is Back For One Last Chance
Apr 25, 2010

Hi, I really do concur with "Raining Pennies" that it is very important to read the posting guideines. Otherwise, if you inadvertently breach the guidelines, you will wind up getting banned.  I did breech the posting guidelines and I did get banned, but I'm back for one more chance at staying within the "posting guidelines." "Raining Pennies" was correct about how I breached the guidelines.  I quoted some language that I should not have quoted.  And I apologize to the owner ...

To Oracle/OTI MTs, Do You Think There Is Any Chance We Will Be Paid On Friday? Sm
Jun 15, 2011

I have only been there for about 6 weeks, but the payroll lady seems to get the checks out lightning fast.  However, I realize the 15th is happening in the middle of the week, so payday might not be until Monday.  I was just hoping ... thinking maybe some of you "veterans" had seen it paid that quickly, before the weekend.  Regardless, I love it there. :-) Thanks! ...

Anyone Laid Off Live In Michigan By Chance?
Apr 05, 2013

Saw this ad posted here, but the training is on site in Michigan -- 9 cpl for SR?? Wow!! http://forum.mtstars.com/472346.html ...

AHDI - Cloudy With A Chance Of A Bright Future
Jul 31, 2013

I see clouds for sure and tornadoes and hurricanes in the "bright future" of MT/MLS or whatever their latest letters are. I haven't had a chance to read it completely yet but here are some of the articles in the latest Plexus: MT to HDS—How Did We Get From There to Here?  - I can give them a few clues on this one! Transcription Trends: Do MTs Still Love Their Jobs? - Wait, I thought they changed our title to MLS? Either way, I say no I do not! Oh here's another one:  ...

80% Chance Of Being Disease Free At 10 Years With Surgery Irradiation Therapy. Is Irradiation Corr
Oct 15, 2009

NM ...

MT To Coder?
Aug 28, 2011

Hello all.  I am currently an MT and for many reasons I am considering leaving that career.  I was wondering about coding and billing.  How is the pay?  As an MT I have seen the pay go down considerably over the years and was wondering if coding/billing is in the same boat. Also, would you recommend becoming a coder in this economy?  Which school has the best program?  Thanks. ...

Coder/cmt
Jan 15, 2012

Anyone who went into coding from MT, are/were you a CMT and if so did you keep your CMT credential up after being in coding a while or did you let it fall away seeing really no further need for it?  Having to keep up coding credentials is enough and I wonder if I really need to keep it.   Any reasons why I should keep it?  ...

MT To Coder
Feb 16, 2012

Question about coding bootcamps, does anyone have any experience with HCPro bootcamps?  I have been an MT for 17+ years and want to switch to coding.  Would this be appropriate for someone with my background?  Thanks for the help.  ...

MT-to-Coder
Nov 06, 2012

Deleted. ...

Not A Coder
Jul 26, 2013

I'm not a medical coder.  The only ties I have to the medical profession is that I'm a patient.  This transition from ICD-9 to ICD-10, exactly how is this happening.  Do you all have to go back to school to learn ICD-10?  From the outside looking in, it sounds like a major undertaking, but hopefully it's not. ...

An MT To A Coder
Sep 21, 2014

I am posting to (hopefully) give coding students hope, not to get dislikes on my post, but it is what it is. Here's my story: I graduated from coding school about a year ago, after being an MT for over 25 years. I am working as a coder and I am learning every day (reminds me of back in the day as a a new MT). There were so many days when I wanted to give up on coding because, let's face it, it's not easy, but I didn't. I honestly think I will make it as a coder, but I probabl ...

From MT To GT To Coder
May 10, 2015

Just saying hi, and I really appreciate this board.  I've been lurking for a while.  I went to Career Step for medical transcription, but soon after graduating, I found the quick turn around time for MT just didn't work for my toddler and homeschooler, so I switched to GT. Now, 5 years later, it's time to switch things up again, and I've always been interested in the behind the scenes medical paperwork (as nerdy as that sounds!). So feeling kind of lost, I de ...

Advice On Getting First Job From A Coder
Jul 12, 2010

The following is a post I found on the AAPC web site. I asked the poster first if it was okay to re-post here and he said okay.  Quote begins as follows: My first coding job was about six years ago. I had called a local college asking about some health billing classes and as I was about to hang up the phone I asked the lady "by the way how do you get your first job in this field?". She said "it's kind of tough, but wait, someone put a card up on the board yesterday...". She got a car ...

Job Availability For New Coder
Feb 09, 2011

I am planning on enrolling in Andrews School to begin a new career in medical coding and also plan to become certified following that.  While looking at job opportunities, I see that most ALL job openings require 2-5 years experience in this profession.  On the other hand, I also read where this field of work is in demand of more coders.  Obviously, after finishing my course and becoming certified, I don't expect to walk right in and nail down the first job or two that I ...

EMR Vs Medical Coder
May 25, 2011

I hope this is not a dumb question, but do need some enlightening.  I was at my doctor's office this morning and in the midst of the exam we got to talking about my goal to take the medical coding schooling (through Andrews). She was concerned that with the EMR process today, medical coders would not be as involved with actual coding as they have been in the past and therefore the job market not as promising. My doctor's clinic has the computer screen in the office and she sh ...

Glad I'm Not A Coder
Sep 12, 2011

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904103404576560742746021106.html?mod=WSJ_hp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsThird ...

Finding A Job As A New Coder
Sep 30, 2011

I am an MT considering going to school for coding.  I have been reading the message boards of the coding professional organization and found it to be full of comments from new certified coders who can't find jobs without experience, and some have been looking for over a year.  I am leaving the MT field after only 6 years due to salaries going into the tank with SR.  I think coding would be a good fit for me, but hate to spend thousands of dollars and a year of school time on ...

If You Are A Certified Coder...
Nov 05, 2011

what other jobs would you be qualified for if by chance coding does disappear. There are quite a few posters saying it will. Thanks ...