A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

fair chance or not? - not a seasoned MT

Posted: Mar 03, 2012

Was just wondering if you seasoned MT's think 5 weeks on a new job is a fair chance for a fairly new MT? New platform to be learned, and the dictations were from a big pool with a lot of different doctors, though not many ESL's, and QA was pretty picky. Any opinions on this?

I would think it would be a fair chance - do you not like it?

[ In Reply To ..]
I would think 4-6 weeks and you would have it down pat...

I could be wrong, I have only had 3 transcription jobs in my life.

In an ideal world, no, but...SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
in the real world, MTSOs (I am not a SUIT) don't have the luxury of doing extensive handholding, correcting, mentoring, and all that goes into developing a good MT.

In an ideal world, I would give someone at least 90 days as long as the MT is taking criticism constructively, trying to implement ideas and suggestions, honing her research skills, and building her expanders AND most importantly showing consistent improvement in quality scores and production.

I'm a veteran and have been under the same microscope you have probably been under. They would drop either one of us in a nanosecond if they thought they would lose an account because our quantity and quality of work was not up to the client's standards and they were in danger of losing an account.

I don't know what else to say except to see this as a learning experience.

Yes or no...depends - djr

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been an MT for about 4 years with 3 companies and about 20 different hospitals, and I say it all depends. It should be plenty of time if you're working full time. However, if you're only part time a few days a week, it could take longer since you aren't working as much and getting the exposure. Otherwise, hang in there...it'll get easier :)

When I first started out - I worked in a hospital

[ In Reply To ..]
Not sure how it works with the companies, but I am an acute care MT and type everything.

My first job was in a hospital and I started out doing ERs and discharge summaries and every couple of weeks the supervisors would introduce two new work types.

For about the first week or two she would assign me previously typed dictations, I would type them and a day later have print outs on my desk of those reports with feedback.

I progressed to live work on about the 3rd week, but keep in mind it was my first transcription job, in a hospital setting with other MTs around who could listen and answer questions when needed.

I worked there 9 years until recently when the dept was outsourced. It was the best experience for me because it was a big hospital and now I can type anything.

I know it's not always possible, but for newer MTs I would highly recommend working for a hospital or clinic first before just jumping in with a company.

I couldn't have imagined starting out as a brand new MT working remotely for a company, but I do it now without a problem and the last 5yrs of my hospital job our whole dept was working from home before the outsource.

The only problem with...SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
trying to get an in-hospital job is that there are very few of those left. The hospitals who still have in-house MT departments are not rehiring as people leave and outsource part of the work. Once the staff is down to almost nothing, they lay off and outsource it all with very little notice to the MTs.

There may be more of the clinic-type jobs left, but those are going bye-bye also due to the implementation of EMRs in that setting.

It's not like it used to be where a newbie could get on-the-job training and that is why the quality of the school/education you choose is very important in this day and age.

This situation is a dilemma for anyone wanting to work remotely, as there isn't as much support as there used to be.

SM - Old Anon - you are absolutely right.

[ In Reply To ..]
It's unfortunate for the new MTs, but what you say is true.

You really have to have a strong medical background and have been through a good training program, and know your anatomy and physiology to start out with a company working remotely as a new MT.

You hit the nail on the head.

Similar Messages:

She Dictates "He Is Fair Com Plected" Meaning He Has A Fair Complexion
Feb 08, 2010

Good morning all - I'm trying for a dermatologist today.  Not my usual account.  She dictates "He is fair com plected" meaning he has a fair complexion.  What is the right way to spell complected? I googled it, came up with a lot of variations and nothing concrete.  Thanks for your time!  ...

Here Is Your Chance EVERYONE!
Feb 06, 2010

This is an article about how MQ wants to buy Spheris and CBAY wants to buy the other part of Spheris.  At the end of this article is for you to post your comments and let these people know what we think!!!  I just did my part and let them know what  I really thought of all this!!    http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/20100205/NEWS/302059988/1153   What do you think? Write us with your comments at hitsdaily@modernhealthcare.com. Please include your name, tit ...

Here Is Your Last Chance EVERYONE!
Feb 06, 2010

This is an article about how MQ wants to buy Spheris and CBAY wants to buy the other part of Spheris.  At the end of this article is for you to post your comments and let these people know what we think!!!  I just did my part and let them know what  I really thought of all this!!  If this buyout occurs, it will make MQ and CBAY the largest and all their bad practices will filter down to the rest of the companies and could get worse for MT/QA in the future.  Speak your m ...

I Will Never Have The Chance To Really Get
Sep 08, 2010

I keep getting NJA!! Oh well, I hate it anyway.  I don't like the numbering (can't get used to it and keep typing numbers the old way and then have to go back and fix it).  I HATE the physician lookup now. Lord please get me out of here soon!!!!! ...

If You Had A Chance...
Jun 02, 2011

to pick up your own account, what would you charge? ...

Need A Chance!
Feb 20, 2012

I am a 40+ year old transcriptionist who has been self employed for 15+ years.  I am a hard worker and good at what I do.  Unfortunately my accounts are drying up because of the "Obama Kickback" to physicians who are willing to convert to EMR and I need to get a job on-line.  But as I am finding out no one is willing to give me a chance because I have no acute care experience. I have worked for all kinds of providers: urologist, pediatrician, endocrinologist, but none of that seem ...

Got A Chance At A Gvt Job
Apr 14, 2014

Need to put resume together and get out..Pays to have friends that do the hiring too..Really, really not looking forward to getting up, getting dressed, and traveling..But this horse is almost dead, think it is time for bigger and better things. ...

Chance To Get Out Of MModal
Oct 21, 2013

Unfortunately, because no one can come close to the low cost of health insurance that M*Modal has, I can't justify switching jobs. WHYYYY does my dear husband have to work for a tiny company that doesn't offer benefits??? WHYYYY, with everything else that is horrible about M*Modal, why do they have to actually offer decent insurance options compared to everything else out there? I can't, in good conscience, walk away from my current situation to one where we would take a big fi ...

No Chance Of A Raise
Oct 27, 2013

As an MT, there's no chance of getting a raise or promotion, and so there's little incentive or motivation, especially being paid pennies per line. Yet, they expect you to participate in continuing education, which takes additional time and perhaps even money. What a joke. They don't expect crew members at McDonald's to take extra time off work hours, and they get paid the same amount. No point in complaining, I know, but it's so ridiculous. ...

Chance Of Getting Unemployment
Jul 28, 2014

Has anyone had any luck in getting unemployment from Nuance after being let go?  It seems like it's taking forever and I wondered if they make it difficult.  TIA. ...

The Idiot Is Back For One Last Chance
Apr 25, 2010

Hi, I really do concur with "Raining Pennies" that it is very important to read the posting guideines. Otherwise, if you inadvertently breach the guidelines, you will wind up getting banned.  I did breech the posting guidelines and I did get banned, but I'm back for one more chance at staying within the "posting guidelines." "Raining Pennies" was correct about how I breached the guidelines.  I quoted some language that I should not have quoted.  And I apologize to the owner ...

To Oracle/OTI MTs, Do You Think There Is Any Chance We Will Be Paid On Friday? Sm
Jun 15, 2011

I have only been there for about 6 weeks, but the payroll lady seems to get the checks out lightning fast.  However, I realize the 15th is happening in the middle of the week, so payday might not be until Monday.  I was just hoping ... thinking maybe some of you "veterans" had seen it paid that quickly, before the weekend.  Regardless, I love it there. :-) Thanks! ...

I Want To Be A Coder So Bad But No One Will Give Me A Chance....aaaghhh
Mar 07, 2013

I spent two years getting my degree and then my RHIT and then my CPC, but I cannot get a job and am beyond frustrated!!!!!  I worked in medical billing before I became an MT, but that was years ago, but that doesn't even matter because I get the same answer every time I apply, "no experience, sorry, we can't hire you." Boooo!!!!!!  I feel like I've wasted two years of life putting myself through school, working nights, spending time away from my family...for what...to be ...

Anyone Laid Off Live In Michigan By Chance?
Apr 05, 2013

Saw this ad posted here, but the training is on site in Michigan -- 9 cpl for SR?? Wow!! http://forum.mtstars.com/472346.html ...

AHDI - Cloudy With A Chance Of A Bright Future
Jul 31, 2013

I see clouds for sure and tornadoes and hurricanes in the "bright future" of MT/MLS or whatever their latest letters are. I haven't had a chance to read it completely yet but here are some of the articles in the latest Plexus: MT to HDS—How Did We Get From There to Here?  - I can give them a few clues on this one! Transcription Trends: Do MTs Still Love Their Jobs? - Wait, I thought they changed our title to MLS? Either way, I say no I do not! Oh here's another one:  ...

ORO FAIR NIX
May 20, 2010

... when dictators say "ORO-FAIR-NIX" for oropharynx or "LAIR-NIX" for larynx?  When they think of lynx do they say "LNIX" or manx and say "MNAX" ??  :) ...

Fair Pay??
Mar 24, 2012

This may have been discussed before, and if so, I missed it, but SR seems to be getting worse and worse all the time (and I use M*Modal for two different MTSOs), picking up less and less of what is actually said.  This is even on very clear-speaking dictators.  Some have been to the point of SR getting maybe 2 words right in 2 sentences.  In this case, I'm actually "typing," but getting paid the SR rate.  It struck me that the only fair way to be paid would be to be paid ...

How Is It Fair
Jan 08, 2014

Everyone of my accounts now requires manual addition of CCs and/or manual addition of ADT information and I don't get compensated? This rots, getting ready to quit. ...

Fair Wages
Feb 18, 2011

I think a fair wage should be in relation to the economy, that which allows you to meet your baseline financial needs without having to work a second job or long hours.  I worked for a service back in the early 80s for 6.5 cents per line.  Today, nearly 30 years later, they're offering 7.5 cents per line, yet costs are sky-high.   It's pathetic.  It's sweatshop third world.  It's true, we're stuck with the way things are, but ...

US Fair Labor Act
Sep 20, 2011

(e)Study of effects of foreign production on unemployment; report to President and CongressWhenever the Secretary has reason to believe that in any industry under this chapter the competition of foreign producers in United States markets or in markets abroad, or both, has resulted, or is likely to result, in increased unemployment in the United States, he shall undertake an investigation to gain full information with respect to the matter. If he determines such increased unemployment has in fact ...

Is 14 Cpl Fair For Experienced IC?
Mar 28, 2012

I have been an IC for over 5 years and have decided to increase my rates from 12 cpl to 14 cpl.  In doing that, one of my doctors is thinking about replacing me.  I thought 14 cpl was a fair rate.  What does everyone else think? ...

How Do They Call This Fair?
Aug 15, 2013

So, I have a VR job and the VR is just bad.  I FINALLY got to where I could make around $11.00 per hour and was thinking okay, maybe this won't be so bad.  Well, just as I got up to where I could make a decent living, my MTSO decides to do a random audit and completely tore my reports apart.  There were NO critical errors and no errors that affected the content of the report, just things like commas in the wrong place, using a comma when dictator said "and" and other simple t ...

Fair Charge Per Line In GA
Jan 01, 2010

I'm thinking about trying to go out and get my own doctor's office and have a question about what is a fair rate per line in the state of Georgia. I've been doing some research but there seems to be a huge range. Can anyone tell me if $0.18/line seems fair? Thank you for any help or information!!!! ...

Fair Line Rate For SC
Jan 04, 2010

I am starting up my own MT Business and want to make sure I am not over/under charging.  I was thinking 12 cents a line.  Is this too much/too little? I am currently working for a MT business and I am making 8 cents a line but that company is located in Virginia so I cannot really use them as  comparison of what to charge the doctor's offices.  Please advise! ...

Fair Standards Act/getting Together On This Stuff
Jan 04, 2010

Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place, but it seems like with all the screwing over that some of these companies do to us (and I know it's no accident that they don't encourage us to communicate amongst ourselves), few people here are suggesting some way of getting together to "encourage" the companies we work for to screw us over less, or at least less painfully. I know there's a Fair Standards act, for example, that supposedly covers even us (working on production). Whi ...

Whats A Fair Price
Jan 20, 2010

Hi all, Quick question. I live in washington state and I just graduated from my MT course and had a doc call me to let me know that he wanted me to do transcription for him and my question is what is a fair price to be charging, all I ever hear is what is unfair. Thanks, Dude Mom ...

Fair Warning About WordzXpressed
Jul 15, 2010

I took their test for a QA position.  ELEVEN reports to type plus their written. I typed the reports, 2 reports had 1 blank, otherwise they were clean.  I get an email saying I didn't score high enough. I went back over each and every report, relistened and there were no errors.  So, just in case, I had someone else go over those reports and listen and she agreed with me, no errors with the exception of the 2 reports that had 1 blank.  That was a passing test.  This ...

It's Not Fair To Get Paid 1 Cpl For !@#$ Who Can't Talk
Oct 03, 2010

:(((((( ...

Since I Jumped Up And Down When There Was No Work, It Seems Only Fair Sm
Jan 09, 2011

to say that the work famine seems to be over at SoftScript ... whew!  I still think it was poor management and overhiring that made it as bad as it was, especially since I work for another MTSO who had work constantly throughout the holidays.   Still, I'm happy to see things flowing better so that maybe now I can make an accurate assessment as to whether it is worth it to me to stay. ...

Followup To Fair Wages
Feb 18, 2011

Serious question: Why do you stay? ...