A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Cannot seem to find the correct info regarding ICD-10 delay - sm

Posted: Apr 18, 2012

I last read that ICD-10 change is now delayed until October 2014.  Can anyone confirm this?

The proposed date is October 1, 2014 - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Try the AHIMA website for accurate information regarding this.

Not sure what you mean by being unable to find correct info, though. Everything I have seen says the same thing as the title of this post.

Heard this today...wondering about students. - Cassie

[ In Reply To ..]
I just heard the same thing (new Oct. 2014 date) today from a friend who's a coder. What does this mean for the people who are currently in school learning ICD-10? Or am I missing something?

Cassie -- What students are studying ICD-10 now? - Wondering what you heard

[ In Reply To ..]
Cassie, what students are currently in school studying ICD-10? I am not sure what you are asking.

Are you asking what about coders who are currently learning ICD-10? They can continue learning it. I learned it two years ago. Most of the training will provide CEUs for certification purposes. Learning something early is never a problem. You can review it later and it will all come back.

For current coders, learning it will not require taking an entire codng course all over again. Why would it? You already know how to code. All you need is information about a new code set that is similar to and used just like the old one. In any event, learning coding does not entail memorizing the code numbers themselves, so I do not understand why there would be a problem. If your coder friend has issues with it we would be happy to address those fears here. It might help to reduce some of it.

I cannot imagine that you would be talking about a coding course, one for people who had never coded before which taught them the whole job, that is teaching only ICD-10. It would be quite inappropriate, if not just plain irresponsible, for two reasons. One, every coder will need to know BOTH 9 and 10 for some time to come in order to code old claims and work with institutional data. Two, even if the date was October of 2013, graduates would be finishing programs so soon that if they did not know ICD-9 they would be unable to get a job for more than a year. What would be the point to that?

I do not know any coding prgram that is teaching only ICD-10 now. Someone last month said they had seen some on the internet. We asked if they could find them again, but the person never answered. I think they had seen courses intended for experienced coders. AHIMA has one that might look as though it is for student coders, but it is really for working coders. There are many others.

I tried to cover all possibilities in this answer, but perhaps you could explain what you meant?

Students in courses only teaching ICD-10 are left out in the cold anyway - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It has never been a good idea to learn only ICD-10 as some schools promote. Now it's turning out to be even less of a good idea. If I were in that position as a student, I would start over, with a course that isn't so limited. Hope that answers your question.
WHAT schools only teach ICD-10?? - Never seen one
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
My question, as well. What schools only teach - ICD-10
[ In Reply To ..]
This is the second time you have made that statement about schools teaching only ICD-10. Last time, someone asked you to give the name of a school that did that. You were unable to do so, saying that you saw them on the internet and did not remember them.

I agree that you probably saw an ICD-10 course for experienced coders and mistakenly thought it was a course for people who wanted to learn coding from the ground up. Some of them might look like that becaue they often teach expanded A&P, pathophysiology, and other material, as well.

It probably isn't a big dea, but I don't think it is wise for us to keep going on about a "problem" that doesn't exist and turning it into an internet legend.

I agree that you should tell us what schools those are. Perhaps we can explain what you saw.
Not me. - Cassie
[ In Reply To ..]
Just want to clarify that I'm not the one who said that some schools are teaching only ICD-10. In fact, I am pretty ignorant about coding courses all together and have only asked questions here to, hopefully, clear up my ignorance. I don't want any hard feelings if I post on this forum in the future, as I get a vibe that there's some friction on this subject. :-)

Thanks for your input, Everyone.
What I Found Was Even Stranger Than Schools Only Teaching ICD-10 - See Message
[ In Reply To ..]
I did a search and found a long list of courses teaching ICD-10. I didn't have time to see if any of them were teaching it 'only', but it appears as if some are.

The strangest thing I found though had to do with fake credentialing organizations and schools trying to pretend they are AHIMA. Their names are just off by one letter. I found 2 of them without even looking. Someone who doesn't know better will think these are legitimate. It's definitely Buyer Beware out there. There are some sleazy con artists circling around like vultures.
Explanation - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
Those ICD-10 courses are for people who are already coders. They are to help them transition to the new code set. They are teaching it "only," but it is not intended for people who are not already coders.

I don't think any courses for people who want TO BECOME coders are teaching only ICD-10. They have to teach ICD-9 because that is what is currently being used. They might teach ICD-10 along with that.

Thanks, Greyhound Mom - Cassie

[ In Reply To ..]
So sorry for the confusion about my question...I promise I didn't mean anything negative by asking. :-) I don't know much at all about coding courses...that's why I said, "...am I missing something?" Clearly, I'm pretty ignorant about it. :-D

My friends who are coders (I know 2 from my old hospital days) talk like it will be a major shift when they begin ICD-10. I wasn't speaking from any certain knowledge of which is currently being taught...I only assumed that students must be starting to learn ICD-10 since it's coming some day.

I was just wondering what the later start date might mean for people who are currently in school to learn coding since another MT friend of mine has been thinking about learning coding now...I was going to share the answer with her. I'll just direct her to this forum so she can hopefully learn some helpful advice. She's just toying with the idea at this point.

Thanks for the knowledgeable input.
Arrrgh, didn't mean Greyhound Mom! - Cassie
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm clearly ignorant about more than just coding courses! :-D

Sorry about that "subject line." That popped in there somehow from a previous post I had made elsewhere on the forum...weird!

Proposed date has been posted in the Federal Register - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
HHS has proposed Oct 1, 2014, in the Federal Register. That opens a 30-day comment period.

You should be able to Google it there. You can submit comments on it, too.

Similar Messages:

Intraventricular Conduction Delay Versus Intervenricular Conduction Delay
Nov 12, 2010

Is there any way to tell the difference between these two terms? I don't really understand what they mean other than *inter*ventricular would mean occuring between the 2 ventricles and *intra*ventricular occuring within one ventricle. Right?? I am doing a cardiology report right now and really can't distinguish the difference. The doctor gives some terms regarding what's going on like long Q-T and left atrial enlargement. Can someone point me to a site that explains this in great, ...

Is It M-TEC Or Meditec? I Am Trying To Find It Online And I Want To Make Sure I Have The Correct One
Mar 24, 2013

nm ...

The Pt Will Have Repeat DLCO2 Testing. I Can Only Find DLCO. Is This Correct? ~nm
Apr 04, 2010

xx ...

Where To Get Help/info On IC Status (correct Board?)
May 16, 2013

...not state specific, I can find that.  I mean, how does one manage when say for example the pay is the 10th and 25th of the month, with no money coming in, especially for the first month you work?  would this not be a good idea for someone who really needs money desperately?  do MTs make enough to supplement all that time in between?   for anyone working for 2 different companies IC, do you like it - do you make more money that way - is it worth all the different things yo ...

Anyone Know Where I Can Find Info
Apr 15, 2014

on general transcription jobs, as in where I can find one?  I need flexible part-time supplement work, and so far have had no luck with medical transcription places that I've tested with.  Thought I could try somewhere along those lines.  TIA ...

Can't Find Any Info On MD-IT? Anyone Work There?
Jan 15, 2010

nm ...

Can't Find Info Re What We Get Paid For... (sm)
Jul 09, 2012

I'm trying to find the info on what exactly we do and don't get paid for (the place where it says we don't get paid for ADT info, QA notes, etc.) and I know I've seen it before, pretty sure it was on the intranet, but I can't find it now that I need it. Can anyone tell me where it is? Thanks in advance. ...

Any New Good/bad Info On Sten-Tel? I Cannot Find Much.
May 08, 2010

This is Sten-Tel out of Springfield, MA.  Is the pay okay? Is there plenty of work?  How are the QA and management?  Any other information would be great too. Thank you. ...

Couldn't Find Any Info On SCRIBE 4 US
Nov 06, 2012

Couldn't find any info on SCRIBE 4 US.  Anyone have any information? ...

TA+ Platform--Look In Archives. Can't Really Find Any Info. Sm.
Dec 19, 2012

If you are working on it now, please let me know what you think. TIA. ...

How And Where Do I Get KB Benchmark. Cannot Find Info On MM Central.
Jan 02, 2014

nm ...

Need Info On Transcend Platforms. I Use Bayscribe And Find
Oct 27, 2010

it is not transcription friendly, almost antiquated.  I have considered switching to BeyondTxt, but don't want to do VR after my experience with Medquist.  I know Medquist has a horrible VR program and Transcend's is supposed to be better.  Have any of you used both platforms and can compare Bayscribe to BeyondTxt?  Also, how does your VR production compare to transcription?  I would appreciate any input.  ...

Where Do I Find Info On 15 Minutes Paid Time For NJA?
May 26, 2014

Our group ran out of work today, and it has been a while since that happened, and I don't remember the protocol for getting paid the 15 minutes.    Would someone be kind enough to refer me to where I can read the instructions, or post them?  Thanks for your help. ...

Any Info On Market Pro On Job Board? Unable To Find Anyting. TIA
Dec 08, 2009

nm ...

Has Anyone Tested With M&D Scribing And Heard Back? Cant Find Any Info On Them. Nm
Jan 11, 2010

aaaa ...

Any Current Info On Diskriter? Cannot Seem To Find Anything Past 2008. TIA. Nm
Apr 19, 2011

s ...

Any Info On Transtech (Texas), Cant Find Anything Newer Than 2009.
May 26, 2011

Archives are only to 2009, cant find anything newer. Sounded good back then, how are they now? ...

Acusis--Have Checked Archives. Can Find No Recent Info.
Jun 29, 2011

Thanks in advance. I am CMT with 16 years experience, currently working for a recently bought-out MTSO. I will probably test with Acusis this weekend. Is 9.25 cpl realistic for Acusis at all? What's the % cut for VR pay? I see they state a 12-hour window. Is 36 hours considered full-time? Are you paid for spaces? VBC? Is PTO decent? Again, thanks so much! ...

TransTech - Couldn't Find Recent Info In Archives
Feb 27, 2012

Any info regarding how they are to work for, work availability, & productivity on VR is much appreciated.  Feel free to address anything else that would be helpful!  You're welcome to email me if you prefer not to post.  TIA!!   ...

I Was Hoping To Find Some Info On How To Increase Line Count
Jun 30, 2012

but from the posts, I can see that everyone else is in the same boat I am.  I can only agree that this is the lowest paying MT job I've ever had and that the constant haranguing about working extra over the weekends is completley annoying.  I worked for 5.5 hours for Nuance the other day and made $47.  I then worked for a private client for 2.75 hours and made $82.  If only he had more work for me!  Unfortunately, I'm expecting him to go on the EMR this year an ...

Where Do I Find OOW/Remedy/six Minutes Info? Not Found In Policies.
Feb 12, 2014

nm ...

Documanage Serious Delay
Mar 31, 2010

Is anyone else having problems with F5 today in Docuscribe to get to Documanage.  I am having at least a 1-minute delay before it goes to Documanage to look up Client Profiles.  I need to know if this is a problem on my end or on their end.  I cannot waste this kind of time looking up information.  It is probably just one more way for them to slow us down.  ...

Delay Opening Posts
Aug 23, 2013

It takes me 3-5 minutes to open each post on this site.  Any suggestions? ...

Will The Rider Pass? ICD-10 Delay To Oct '15?
Mar 26, 2014

Congress to Vote on ICD-10 Delay Tomorrow, AHIMA Calls for Action to Stop Bill Today A new bill has been quietly introduced into the US House and Senate that features a section calling for the delay ICD-10-CM/PCS implementation until 2015. The bill, which would adjust the Sustainable Growth Rate (SGR) and amend the Social Security Act to extend Medicare payments to physicians and change other provisions of the Medicare and Medicaid programs, also includes a seven line section that would delay ...

AAPC Statement On ICD-10 Delay
Apr 03, 2014

Open Letter from CEO: ICD-10 Delay April 3, 2014 Thank you for your commitment to your profession and all you do to help AAPC advance the business of healthcare. I write to you as a follow up to the email we sent Monday night regarding Senate passage of HR 4302 and the delay in ICD-10. President Obama signed the bill into law Tuesday morning, officially shifting the deadline for ICD-10 compliance from October 1, 2014 to no earlier than October 1, 2015. AAPC remains dedicated to helping the in ...

Why The Delay In Uploading Lines Under The
Dec 17, 2014

This plan was touted as easy, transparent. Where are our lines, Nuance? Some of us have mouths to feed and utilities to pay and we need to be able to decide early on if the kids go hungry or the lights get shut off. I know you can't imagine this, but it's real for many of us. Why the delay in uploading lines? Hopefully, you've increased your HR staff in anticipation of the inquiries sure to come in explaining the easy, transparent formula once you do hit the submit button. ...

S/l: Epidosis Disease. UGI, Abdominal Pain, Delay In Emptying
Nov 23, 2009

Delayed emptying, abdominal pain, diverticula of duodenum.  Anyone? INDICATION:  Abdominal pain, possible "epidolsis disease." Thanks! ...

I Can't Find The AHIMI Salary Survey. Anyone Know Where I Can Find This?
Dec 20, 2011

TIA ...

S/l "agrothroposis" Multiforme, 21 Y.o. Develop Delay Male
Sep 26, 2012

x ...

Info On Accentus US Ambulatory? Is It Associated With Nuance? Any Info Appreciated. NmNm
Feb 18, 2014

Xx ...