A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Survey of interest for department of labor suit. - T.Sample

Posted: May 07, 2015

I've been observing Medquist/M*modal for the past number of years since their previous law suit. The technologies they have employed as of late are widely viewed as intentionally inhibiting, many employees stating that this speech recognition program, as well as constant shuffling of work pools, or "pods" prevent the familiarity that is central to profit,accuracy, and productivity. I intend to gauge the interest and willingness of participation in the current M*modal employee community. Please reply to this post to allow us to gauge interest in this motion, and I'll be happy to answer any questions.

my questions for you to answer... - who are you and who do you work for

[ In Reply To ..]
I cant think of any lawyers who frequent this chat board, so which of the HDSMs is this?

Happy to answer! - T.Sample

[ In Reply To ..]
Firstly, I am neither a MT nor a legal entity of any sort, I am a private citizen who is very close with an individual who has been with M*modal since it was Medquist and not a terrible place to be. Secondly, my reason for coming here, is the knowledge that having watched the agony that my personal contact has gone through with this company, and that there is no unionization or real regulating body for this trade's employees, there was likely a dam burst of complaints that would align themselves with a larger suit, which would gain more traction than the complaints of one individual. Thank you for your questions, always happy to answer any you may have.

you didnt answer anything - buncha mumbo jumbo

[ In Reply To ..]
Sounds like what corporate does, use a lotta filler words but never get to the point!
Straight answers. - T.Sample
[ In Reply To ..]
I wish to organize, or help others organize to use the department of labor, and seek the counsel of a legal representative educated in this field. It doesn't get more simple than that. If I can collect complaints, and gain willing participants, we can make a change, and it will help me, because it will help someone I love, it is that simple. If I can make it any more straight, please let me know.
ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS - Homer
[ In Reply To ..]
READ THIS BOARD... PLENTY OF COMPLAINTS HERE...
See? This attitude is why we MTs never - accomplish anything in our favor.
[ In Reply To ..]
nmsg

You sound like a union organizer - anony

[ In Reply To ..]
I for one will not be answering any of your questions. Why doesn't the "individual" step up.

Believe me she/he is the not only 1 who has complained to managemeent. It is a moot issue. Management does not care.

Management - T.Sample
[ In Reply To ..]
The management, and the moot point reached with them is the reason the person in question has given up on those channels. Their apathy is why there must be a higher resolution sought. I know this job has made many people antagonistic, and I'm seeing a lot of this in these posts too, I certainly understand. Let me be clear though, that the only way in which i profit here is by helping someone close to me. If someone else would take this ball and run with it, I'd be happy, but something must be done. So many people invested in education that isn't profiting them now due to a company's practices and policies, and it only takes 2 people to begin a claim through the DOL. I encourage anyone to begin the process.
Why don't you? - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Start it.
While many of us may not like what is going on or the way we are being treated, we cannot afford to lose our job by entering into a law suit.

The last law suit resulted in our receving a subscription to Benchmark. Big deal.

When I worked at a hospital, some of the ladies pushed for a union. One by one, they were let go for various things. Me, I believe they were let go because they were union organizers.

I will not set myself up. Until I can find another job, I will have to stick with M-Modal.

Still don't believe your "story."
Retaliation - T.Sample
[ In Reply To ..]
Every fire begins with a spark, and it requires two people entering into a complaint to mobilize the DOL. It may be comforting to read into the laws regarding corporate retaliation for personal legal actions. The law is quite clear and in truth, retaliation would be more of liability for the company than any of it's current offenses. As far as stories go, they're for entertainment, not serious topics. I don't care if you think i'm a purple martian, there's reason in what I say.
Blah, blah, blah - anony
[ In Reply To ..]
I'll say it again. UNION, UNION, UNION.

Why doesn't your "friend" step up? HMMMMMM

People cannot afford to lose their jobs in this economy.
Company plant - T.Sample
[ In Reply To ..]
Or perhaps you are a company plant intent on squelching any form of revolt? If you may accuse me, I assume I reserve the same right.
I tried this years ago T.sample - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
My idea at the time was to get as many MTs as possible and organize state by state then have each individual state go to their legislators. My fight was to keep this job from going overeas..I got about 14 or 15 MTs to follow along nowhere near enough.I am a MT, I have nothing to lose only something to gain. I find on this board, that people are beaten into submission and would rather bitch then act.
Submission - T.Sample
[ In Reply To ..]
That's the thing that pains me most, Sm, is that the company truly wins if people are beaten down and suspicious to the point of attacking anyone who speaks of hope. Your plan was certainly a good one, and I'm certainly sorry to hear that it didn't go as intended. I think the best channel would be the D.C. Department of Labor, if no two employees can be found to participate in the same state to use their state's DOL. I'm still calling around and spitballing a bit, as I just began this post and effort yesterday, but that's how it looks so far. Thank you so much for your informative post.
Why the heck would an MT NOT want to work - with a labor organizer?
[ In Reply To ..]
Do we all want to just sit around making 3cpl, until it dwindles down to .01 cpl, and just keep on taking it?

Oh this person again. Been here before. - Please go away you were not wanted the first time.

[ In Reply To ..]
People who use "firstly" drive me nuts!

People who tell others to "go away" drive - the rest of us nuts. (nm)
[ In Reply To ..]
His drivel drives me nuts. NM - LDSMT
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Speak for yourself, you are not an "us" - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x

You have to understand how - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
scared everyone is to stand up to them. They nearly have a monopoly on this industry, and we are threatened with performance management and layoffs all the time. They have ruined this industry & all of our careers. In short, we are beat down.

Understanding - T.Sample

[ In Reply To ..]
I do understand, personally and profoundly from watching a loved ones dreams turn to ashes on the computer screen, I know that this person isn't alone, and I want to propose this slowly, and comfortably so that people aren't frightened of the prospect, that's why I say, I don't insist on leading, I just know someone must, and I am beyond their reach.

Then go for it - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are truly beyond their reach, you have nothing to worry about.

Stir the pot and then walk away. Really?
Walk away - T.Sample
[ In Reply To ..]
I am happy to answer questions, and debate, but I don't feel that you're expressing a point clearly at this time. Who ever said anything about walking away?

omg... this is the fortune 50 guy again - hes trolling

[ In Reply To ..]
Stop responding to this clown.
Perhaps you're a corporate silencer? - T.Sample
[ In Reply To ..]
Given the amount of dissatisfied posts I see simply looking the forums over, I can't believe that you are doing anything but practicing PR for your company.
corporate silencer... ba ha ha ha... c'mon, - mm is too cheap to pay someone for that
[ In Reply To ..]
Good way to flip the coin though troll.
Cheap - T.Sample
[ In Reply To ..]
Now that's the one good point you've made all session. I prefer to stick to facts, not baseless accusations. Thanks for your time though.
Really? You'd be surprised.... - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Bravo, T.Sample, you nailed it. MTSOs are - continually putting plants and trolls -
[ In Reply To ..]
on this board who keep on telling the MT they're "lucky to have any job at all", and that they should just keep their heads low and keep on typing.
I remember him! His friend transcribed in a - dark corner in his home and cried
[ In Reply To ..]
every day.
One has to wonder - T.Sample
[ In Reply To ..]
Why would someone who only stands to benefit from action in this area attempt to squelch productive discussion with pointless petty mockery? I don't think even they know. I have made an effort to respond to all posts, however I will not be wasting any more time on silly unproductive posts, thanks to the serious minded for your input.
Yup, that is the one...cannot believe he/she is back - LDSMT
[ In Reply To ..]
Trying to reinvent him/herself to see if we will give him an audience this time.
So what do MTs have go gain by not wanting - to organize, other than fewer CPL?
[ In Reply To ..]
Oh, I know: It's that feeling of "accomplishment" we all get at the end of a typical 18-hour day.
Like 90% of current MTs do. At least that's - what they all say, day in and day out -
[ In Reply To ..]
on these forums. And whenever someone so much as suggests uniting and standing up for ourselves, someone like the above poster comes along and tells them how "dangerous" fighting back would be.

MTs have NOTHING left to lose anymore. Nothing but a pay-nothing, brow-beating, sweatshop "mommy job." That's all MT is anymore, and even that is going to disappear. So what's to lose?
A more apropos venue for you, sir, would be the - Bulwer-Lytton contest.
[ In Reply To ..]
Talk about turgid prose! It takes almost heroic effort to inflate it to that extent! My congratulations to you for producing a product that not only annoys on an intellectual basis, but produces literary asphyxiation in its readers.

Pompous, bombastic, and overblown, it struts ... err, waddles ... along, struggling around obstructing descriptors, its misplaced commas marking desperate gasps for air.

It sounds like "Wimpy," the Popeye character. Inhale deeply, puff up, purse your lips, and while losing as little breath as possible say "I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today." Hear it?

People like you - T.Sample
[ In Reply To ..]
People like you are the reason things never improve, you open your condescending, petty mouth and people want to watch you suffer, even if hundreds more must do it with you.
Most likely she's one of our supervisors.... - Sad, really.
[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry, but it does appear to be a joke. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry, but the writing is so overblown it does appear to be a joke. It is also so filled with grammar and punctuation errors that it cannot possibly be the product of an MT.

I initially thought it was Indian, but now just think it is a troll.

A bunch of guys I know roam the internet participating in all kinds of boards just to aggravate and cause trouble. It is a hobby. However, two of them do it to develop characters for their writing.

This guy looks just like them.

Man, that reply was rude beyond all comprehension. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

All MTs are going to be laid off in the future anyway. - I dont see us having anything to lose!

[ In Reply To ..]
Why any MT would think that what they have now is something they "don't want to risk losing" is just beyond me.

For God's sake ladies, don't just curl up and keep your mouths shut as you're being whipped into submission, stand up and FIGHT!

Absolutely! - T.Sample

[ In Reply To ..]
That's the sort of fearless passion that wins battles!

I'm absolutely interested! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Labor Suit - <10 days

[ In Reply To ..]
MModal is an "at will" or "right-to-work" company headquartered in Tennessee, a legally established "right-to-work" State.

Employment-at-Will status unilaterally allows either the employer or the employee to terminate the employment relationship at any time for any reason or for no reason.

What this is telling you is you have a choice to either work for the company or leave. It's merely a choice.

Unionization would be extremely difficult although Volkswagon in Tennessee is making inroads in that respect but they have the backing of the parent company in Germany.

In the MModal case you'd need to seek out a willing labor law attorney and this would cost thousands that most MTs would not be willing to fork over even if they could. Even a collective law suit because of conditions would come back to the expense and legal standing. You probably don't have any legal standing and it would get tossed out of court.

Attorney's want winning cases and MONEY. Just a retainer would cost an improbable amount.

I hope this helps although not the answer you were seeking.

Great response - T.Sample

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for an informative and concise reply, and while I absolutely agree with the costs involved, we must realize what was stated before, that M*modal equates to roughly being a monopoly, so there is money to be had, and offenses being committed, which means it comes down to the issue of convincing the attorney of that. This is where the complaints and issues being correlated in a cohesive fashion would be more likely to entice an attorney. Nothing worth having was ever given freely now, was it?

Law Suit - <10 days

[ In Reply To ..]
Many years ago my husband sued a major soft-drinks company. The initial retainer was $10,000 leveraged by rental property he owned. He was single at the time.

He was going against deep pockets but the nature of this suit (it was labor related and he was a white collar employee)was something the company wanted no part of from a publicity standpoint. The soft drinks business is extremely competitive and they wanted this to go away and it did. They settled for two-years salary and the point was proven.

He also tried to help someone at a major title and trust company. The retainer couldn't be met, the attorney didn't care about the merits of the case it came down to money.

Labor suits are not like class action liability suits where people are injured. Chemical contamination to drinking water liability comes to mind. This is not a personal injury case where attorney's take no upfront money and work for 30% of the settlement.

We go back to "right-to-work" issue and any attorney will be highly skeptical, will tell you this but will also gladly cash the retainer, spend it, ask for more and let it drag on for months and years if he/she is less than honest. In this case it comes down to money, period. And winning probability.
Another great response - T.Sample
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you so much for you account of that suit, I appreciate your input very much. I certainly agree that it is a rough road to travel, and I don't claim to have all of the answers, but I do have the initiative and I'll continue to wear away at it for as long as it takes. Who knows, a person might even get lucky and have them attempt to retaliate at the first breath of litigation, and give an even better suit. I simply know it's getting to the point of intolerable, and worse every year from all accounts I've recieved. I don't think it's the best option, I just think it's the only one.

except for the fact - moonchild

[ In Reply To ..]
that MModal is doing the same thing that every other MT company is doing. everything they do is pretty much the standard for all MT companies these days. there would be no cause for any kind of suit, unless you took the entire industry to court. sure, there are small companies that treat their employees better, but they are IC. Look around at companies that offer benefits and see if you can find any that are different from MModal.
Standard setting monopoly - T.Sample
[ In Reply To ..]
Could it not be argued that since they have been the predominant provider, near what could be called a monopoly in this industry and that they have had the power to set the standard, and therefore many other companies have been forced to copy suit simply to attempt to compete? There are not too many companies that have been in business for more years than them, on the scale in which they've participated, that is the basis on which I form my statement. You bring up great points about the direction of the industry in general, and it makes me wonder what standard we want our forerunners in the field to set. I very much appreciate your time and input.
it is a dying business - moonchild
[ In Reply To ..]
by the time you get around to getting a court date and having your day in court, there will be no more MTs, so the whole thing is pointless. most doctors do their own notes, hand held devices to dictate on, editing their own notes, and printing them immediately or entering them into EMR that is what the standard will be before too long. it is already here in most clinics and many hospitals. they are just waiting for us dinosaurs to retire and the few they keep around that aren't in India, well, i don't know what the point would be for anyone.
For the time being - T.Sample
[ In Reply To ..]
Let me start by saying, thank you for such an intellectual response, and I don't disagree. However, look at your ASR, these technologies are not quite dependable enough to rely solely on, and it seems that it would be some time until it would reach that level. In the meantime, MT's are an essential part of an essential industry, lest all of the commas disappear and the gender of the patient change in the report, or the doctor stand there with his hand held device and do your old job at a higher pay scale. I am sure eventually it will be the case, and time will prove you correct, but I can't see it within the next four years. Thank you so much for the wonderful feedback, that was a sentiment I had not considered.
last comment - moonchild
[ In Reply To ..]
i have to get to work, but i just wanted to add that several years ago at the hospital i worked for there were discharge summaries that were formatted in the computer and the docs just had to fill in the blanks. we then got to edit those. they looked terrible, but all the pertinent info was there, and i have had many a doctor tell me that they don't care if the grammar is correct or what they look like, they just want info to look at that tells them what was wrong with the patient and what meds they are on. they don't care if the report messes up the gender or if there are no commas. there are those few anal docs that care about things like that but most just want something that fills them in on the last time the patient was seen. the only people who really care about whether the report is a beautiful piece of literature are the MT companies who save money by paying you less if you forget a comma. seriously, year after year i'm amazed there are still any MT jobs available. the doctors really don't need us all that much. i was told 25 years ago to find a new profession because it was a dying career. of course, things take time, so we are still here. but it won't be for too much longer.
It's dying because companies like M*Modal - are killing it.
[ In Reply To ..]
And we're just sitting on our hands, mouths taped shut, and letting them do it.
That is EXACTLY what has happened. M*M - and Nuance rule the roost, and -sm
[ In Reply To ..]
have set a precedent that other MTSOs have to follow in order to have a snowball's chance of competing. These two companies are the main reason MT wages have been driven so far down. That and offshoring.
So they they ALL should be investigated & sued. - The more the merrier!
[ In Reply To ..]
.X.

Could not agree more. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
The only ones who will make any money will be the attorneys, if you can even find one who will take on the case.

Don't know of too many MTs who would be willing OR able to provide money to start such a lawsuit. Most of make just enough to pay bills and that's it.

Sounds good in theory but in reality it's a different ball game

Whistle blowing protection - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Most of us who have been around for a while remember this. I was only able to find the article in the archives. You may find it interesting.

What is the legal cause of action? - what law was broken?

[ In Reply To ..]
Lots of immortality, but haven't noticed any breaches of contract or law.

Lawyers blew it last time anyways. We were left holding an empty bag with the money going to the traitorous organization, ADHI.

Since you brought it up, do the research and leg work! Get a lawyer who knows he could win a class action suit and then you will have plenty of people join in.

It's all pie in the sky to sit and cry for a lawsuit, especially if you will not find a lawyer who thinks there is a case and will take it. It is a contingency type case, so no money needed.

Yep, I did my homework. What about you T.Sample?????

I'm with you T.sample - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Here is an idea people, it takes what 5 minutes of your time to try and change things. Make a "Jane Doe" email account and contact this person and lets see what it is all about. Names can be revealed later on if it looks legit. I for one am with you 100% T.sample. I have nothing left to lose. And what do the rest of you have to lose? As far as I can see the majority are making minumum wage. I, however, will not join a union, I don't believe in them..

I believe in unions. Look at what's happened to - our Middle Class since all the -

[ In Reply To ..]
union-busting activity in the U.S. in the past 2 decades. The only regular working-class people left in this country who can still make ends meet belong to labor unions.

Your opinion - T.Sample

[ In Reply To ..]
Your opinions and conclusions are much the same as mine, perhaps instead of running your mouth you should run the movement? i'd love to see it! please do, then you can have all of these sassy, petty malcontents vent themselves all over your efforts to help them... quite frankly, with the attitudes I've seen here I hope a lot of them suffer daily. Makes me sad, I came here hoping to help.

You intentions may have been good, but can't put out the fires of he** - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
If you were a union leader, you'd know how to handle doubting Thomas'es without calling them names. Labor union workers have killed in the past because of injustices in their livelihoods. Here, you just opened a wound and of course you got questions you were not prepared for. Many of us have tried in the past. We as a nation cannot even find things Made in America any longer. Try to fight Walmart!!! We have many problems. Nobody cares about unfair labor practices....Deja vu. Thank you for your concern, but even when you talk to others...their jobs have huge injustices too, and the top dogs are lining their pockets. That seems to be the American way. "Don't fight city hall."
Precisely! - T.Sample
[ In Reply To ..]
I am not a unionizer, or anything of the sort, there is information I am actively seeking from others who have performed similar tasks and won, look up american support, sued a couple of years ago and they lost. They were quite large, and they paid out over unpaid hours that the employees were required to be "logged in" off the clock.. things can happen, and I may not be the one to make them, but I believe they can. This is still America, and that city hall you're speaking of fighting was built by the people. I ask the same question Thomas Jefferson posed "Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" and we know how he answered that.
Hey, it's just a low wage job, just like one of - many.
[ In Reply To ..]
There is a mixed bag of training, a mixed bag of ages, a mixed bag of reasons for wanting to work at home. You will never get anything united among MTs. I myself can retire any time now, so I don't care what happens. Younger people can and should do something else. To paraphrase above, in 5 years this will be a completely dead issue.
As much as I see your point.. - T.Sample
[ In Reply To ..]
I can certainly understand where you draw your conclusions from, and your opinions are certainly valid. The only thing is, those are statements of opinion, and that's never been enough to dissuade me. If fast food workers can unite enough to make the news with their varying demographics, I feel that MT's must have enough in common to make their concerns persuasive, rather than played down and brushed aside. Of course, the edge of retirement reduces one's concern greatly, I'm sure, and congratulations on that. Thank you for your post, and your unique viewpoint.
BUT it didn't used to be a low wage job - you allowed it
[ In Reply To ..]
16 years ago I was making 40K a year and not working nearly as hard as I am now. I had the music on, I had a rhythm, it was actually a good job. I have never gotten better at a job and had my pay cut ever!! But you allowed them to beat you into submission. ASR is a freaking joke, I trained the original ASR, and it worked, pretty well. Not this crap we have now. And we allowed them to pay us half for it. And now you sit back and do their mandatory OT..Its insane..Im a short timer, thank GOD, but Ill still fight them..
If the McDonald's and Walmart employees - can fight low wages, why cant we?
[ In Reply To ..]
.x.
"Don't fight city hall" has become the mantra - of transcriptionists worldwide.
[ In Reply To ..]
Which is so sad. :(

Again, what cause of action?? Did my homework. - what law was broken?

[ In Reply To ..]
Can't take the lead in cause of action (lawsuit) if there is nothing substantiated in the law or previous court cases.

So, if you find a legal basis to sue that a lawyer would take, there are plenty of people who will join. Class action lawsuits are on contingency, so no money needed up front.

As I said, I did my homework and could not find anything. We all would be thrilled if you found a viable legal basis for a lawsuit. Unfortunately, it isn't illegal to be immoral.
Maybe one of the first steps in this fight should - be to work to change these immoral laws.
[ In Reply To ..]
Make it so what they're doing that some MTs believe is "only immoral, not illegal" ARE illegal.

You know, that whole thousand-mile journey starting with a single step.

It's unfortunate, but people can't be helped if - they dont want to help themselves.

[ In Reply To ..]
For centuries women have had it beaten into them to not speak up, not make waves, not fight for what they deserve. Unfortunately it now seems to have become part of our DNA. No wonder we were such easy marks when the MTSOs first appeared on scene and started raping the transcription industry.
A wonderful point - T.Sample
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you so much for that insightful analysis, I couldn't agree more. Like placid, calm water, a people subdued often give their oppressors a false sense of confidence, so that when a tidal wave of unity emerges from the calm, they are unprepared and overwhelmed. Look around the posts at the amount of people that would have the MT community "sit down and shut up". Unreal.

Well, they all pay less than min. wage. Not on - paper, but once you get past all -

[ In Reply To ..]
the fuzzy math, the line-count cheatware they install on our PCs, and the impossible-to-understand payscale, I would imagine any number of those things, and more, are against many labor and business practice laws.

Since So much has been said... - T.Sample

[ In Reply To ..]
I will not be replying to accusations, or petty demeaning posts any longer, and since so much has been said I would rather post a reply than start a new topic, or something of the sort. Some are calling me a troll, or other things in a case of mistaken identity, my intentions are absolute, and as I have said many times, if I cannot be of use to the MT community because i'm an outsider, please, don't be silent. Has anyone ever considered a letter writing campaign to news agencies? Thank you so much to everyone who supports the potential, and remembers the lucrative past of this trade. I am continuing to speak with attorneys, and review Department of Labor regulations to attempt to find the proper avenue. I am sure there will be those who mock my wording, and length of post, I say let them, naysayers never accomplished anything but a snicker.

T.sample - Rusty

[ In Reply To ..]
Okay, I've heard enough from you, except the truth. BOTTOM LINE: YOU have nothing to lose here. YOU do not work for Immoral. YOU are NOT an MT, so just give us your name, phone number so we can contact you and talk about this. YOU have NOTHING to lose, you can't be fired from IMMORAL, so cough up the information. THEN and ONLY THEN can we take you seriously. NAME and PHONE NUMBER right now! Otherwise, if you refuse or dispute what I ask for with your fancy-ass language, get off this site.

Similar Messages:

Department Of Labor Audit
May 07, 2015

I received an email recently from my company stating that they were undergoing a random DOL audit followed by a questionnaire in the mail from the DOL...which the company stated was voluntary and it was up to us to decide if we wanted to answer it.  Just wondering if anyone has experienced this and knows what is going on and how this could affect our jobs?  I am currently working as an independent contractor on a Veterans Affairs account and would like to keep my job...a ...

Webmedx/Department Of Labor Cold Call???
Jan 27, 2011

Just curious, Has anyone, working for Webmedx, received an anaymous call, from the Department of Revenue, requesting information about your salary at Webmedx, stating they received your information as part of a list of employees from Webmedx??? I declined to answer as the individual could/would not provide any identifying information, including name, and the number was blocked.  Please advise as I am concerned about possible identity theft, especially in light of the fact that I am not e ...

Has Anyone Reported A Company To The Department Of Labor For Unpaid Overtime?
Aug 06, 2011

If you have, can you explain the process?  Did you supply them with a weekly log of your hours?  Did you file to the state you reside or the Department of Labor where your company has its main office?  How long did it take to get your check;-)  How were you paid - did they figure an average hourly rate as we are paid per line?  Any info appreciated.  ...

Anyone Had Successfully Filed A Claim With The Department Of Labor Regarding Unpaid Time?
Oct 03, 2013

I was wondering if anyone had successfully filed a claim with the Department of Labor regarding unpaid time waiting for jobs or being "engaged to wait."  ...

Department Of Labor Says 40 Hours Equals 40 Hours...
Sep 16, 2014

...check it out for yourselves. Employees are not independent contractors. If you signed up for a straight 8 per day, your time sheet should reflect only the breaks you take off the clock. They are so messing with you folks! ...

CA. Labor Board States "Good Case" Regarding Unpaid Labor
Jun 22, 2015

A fellow MT posted on the Nuance board that she contacted the California Labor Board regarding unpaid labor.  I hope this case creates a precedent!  For me, some jobs are so laden with problems half my time is spent researching and correcting dictator errors - for no pay!  We are not paid to check email, answer email, train, review of all the documents emailed to us, review changes in procedure, doctor exceptions to the rule, working with tech support, reviewing QA, searchin ...

Website That Would Be Of Interest To
May 28, 2010

I think it was Kiki who was considering taking on op notes ?  This is a great website to look up standard procedures and become familiar with the vocab:  http://mtsamples.com/ ...

Along The Same Idea Of Conflict Of Interest, A Person In
Aug 28, 2010

They really have no bite.  She said the courts dont like to tell people they cannot work.  Also,  you couldnt tell a plumber he could do your work, but not the Smith's work.  Same thing applies to MT/Ed ICs. ...

Bring It Back Up= Conflict Of Interest
Aug 29, 2010

Why not just read your contract and find out for yourself instead of relying on the opinions of other people? In the end, neither company will care what someone told you; they will only care about a contract YOU  signed. The company I worked for had specifically stated in their contract that we could not work for any company that is in competition with them (any other MTSO) so in this case I would be in violation of that contract. We could work for a hospital, a clinic, a physician, etc, di ...

Math Whiz Help Needed. $25,000 At 3.00% Interest.
Jan 04, 2011

x ...

This Blog Might Interest Those That Work For Nuance Or M*Modal
Jul 11, 2012

Is There A Market Reshuffling On The Horizon For The Medical Transcription Industry? Today I’m going to indulge in something I rarely do, much to the exasperation of my wife Carol. A goodly number of our conversations begin with her asking me, “What do you suppose…” and end with me saying, “I don’t have a clue.” I’m not sure if this reluctance to speculate is a guy thing or just a facet of my own particular personality, but for once I’m g ...

Do You Think This Is From A Suit?
Mar 03, 2010

Don't know what all the fuss is about. If you do your job well, right the first time, you've got no worries. I don't foresee that this will be interfering with me whatsoever! If you want to survive in this business (and I assume that most posters do as they continue to work in this industry) then you have to go with the flow. If this process eliminates weak transcriptionists, then so be it.   THIS MAKES ME MAD READING THIS POST.  So, MQ's process is to elimini ...

Yay, Another Suit Is Hired!!
Apr 30, 2012

I didn't think MModal could get more top heavy.  This just tells you that they're making quite a bit of profit from our losses. ...

Transcend Law Suit
May 12, 2012

I have been reading Steve Jobs' bio -- the more I read, the more I like who he was, what he stood for.  Anyhow, this just STRUCK me -- from the ad campaign when Jobs returned to Apple, written, in part, by him:"Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify ...

Softscript Suit
Jun 10, 2012

as scooby doo says   take pictures of everything    tattoo things on your forehead and toes mamacitas and papacitas ...

OMG! Reading All The Posts. Who Is The Suit
Sep 03, 2010

First want to say I am so sorry for all MT's/QA who were laid off.  How terrible, yet I feel it could be a blessing in disguise because you can get unemployement and TAA and go back to school and get out of this field.  It is pathetic reading the posts from a suit who is trying to maintain damage control for the WEB company.  The suit is the one who is still getting paid with excellent benefits, not the poor MTs/QAs who have been let go.  Makes me sick that a suit woul ...

Workers Comp Suit (sm)
Oct 25, 2012

Now that the MTSO are calling us "employees", has anyone considered a workers compensation suit for depression from not being able to make a decent living? Perhaps an overuse syndrome from having to work so many more hours to make line counts? Curious. ...

How Do You Get A Class Action Suit
May 20, 2013

Sorry - awhile back thought I was going to lose my job.  I am so fed up with they keep lying to us about our pay, etc, - well I am cornerstone - saw someome on here the other day -usually do not see Cornerstone- anyway - I just emailed Shaw or whatever his name is - Amay's second hand guy - kind of scared but at the same time feel empowered ...

If I Was As Rich As A MQ Suit, I Would Only Drink Fiji
Nov 03, 2011

s ...

* Class Action Suit Against IMEDX
Apr 01, 2015

..has been discussed. I highly, highly suggest IMEDX does the right thing, or some money grubbin attorney will be glad to take on not on IMEDX's obvious and blatant playing with lives, but also the whole industry. Imedx is ripe for lawsuits, and they have deep pockets. Suits, wake up, we have nothing to lose now but a consult with an attorney. You clearly have and are going to continue to violate laws, now do the right thing. Also, you don't want to the Labor Board, etc involved from 5 ...

OPEN LETTER TO NUANCE SUIT TROLLS
Aug 11, 2013

The recent survey was nothing more than a slap in the face to all hard-working, dedicated MLS’ biding time until a real job with a respectful employer comes along.   You want to know what would make Nuance better?  Really, are you serious??  You demoralize, monitor, insult, and put your boot on the neck of every self-respecting MLS who puts their commitment and dedication to professional patient care ahead of all, despite the constant road blocks you throw in our path ...

CLASS ACTION SUIT FILED AGAINST TRANSCEND!!! BREAKING NEWS!!!
May 11, 2012

Well, it's done folks!  A couple of VERY brave ladies have filed a class action suit for make up to minimum and OT issues against Transcend.  If anyone is interested in getting their own going against some other MTSO's, well, it's time to be heard.  We're not going to take it anymore!  If you would like info on the attorneys who filed this suit, please feel free to email me.  A very proud day indeed! ...

? Department
Jun 13, 2012

The patient was sent from the "integ" department to detox for alcohol detox.    ? department ?   Thanks. ...

There Goes Another MT Department. S/m
Nov 24, 2013

I have a sister who is the head of med rec in a hospital in Iowa. This hospital is part of a large system. They are moving to VR within the next year. Those MTs are worried about their jobs. I told my sister to give them a heads up - their $20+/hour jobs will be gone. Their superb benefits will be gone. I feel for them - this is happening to all of us - being paid peanuts for our experience and knowledge. They already have EMR in place and there are patients who, once they've log ...

IT Department
Feb 15, 2015

Where is mmodal's IT department located.  I called and the person I spoke hardly spoke English.  Is it in India or TN? ...

Excellent Blog Post On MT Wages (and Transcend Class-action Suit)
May 21, 2012

http://mtanywhere.blogspot.com/2012/05/transcriptionists-file-class-action.html   ...

From The Department Of NO WORK
Apr 30, 2012

did your dog get loose and you had to chase it down? are you having technical maladies? GSD begins at 12AM tonight and continues through 11PM TUESDAY MAY 1ST. The next direct action after May 1 will involve AHDIs so-called MT Week so stay tuned and save up your pennies or your courage. Whatever it is you lack. You can do it! You can! (You can always cut your production in half for the duration of Strike Day, or some fraction that suits you, if you just cannot manage to muster the minimal cou ...

Department Capitalization
Aug 23, 2012

I have been going back and forth on this, but doc says, "He was also found to be hypertensive. Patient's hypertension was managed by *anesthesia* and a 12-lead EKG was obtained." My gut is wanting to capitalize anesthesia to show that it was the anesthesiologists in the Anesthesia Department who managed the hypertension rather than anesthesia itself, but then again, maybe not? Would it be safer to not capitalize it? ...

Capitalization Of Department Help Pls?
Apr 12, 2013

This one has me second guessing myself.  Dictation is:  Per the department of oncology, the patient is reminded to return in 2 weeks.  Would you capitalize department and oncology or not?  Thanks so much for your help!   ...

Capitalizing Department Name
Nov 07, 2013

Would you capitalize "Plastics" (as in Plastic Surgery) because it is a department name?  I'm wondering since it is kind of like a slang term. ...