A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

back to work after back surgery - southerncutie

Posted: Aug 23, 2012

Hello,

I would like to transcribe from home again. However, I HAVE to get up and walk for a few minutes at least once an hour. You see, I had to have 2 back surgeries in the last 18 months. I've been a transcriptionist for many years and this is my profession. Does anyone have a suggestion what to tell these companies that will hire you to work from home when you have to get up so much? The last company I tried had a "pop-up" box that appeared on my screen if you were up longer than 10 minutes asking where you were. I'm afraid to tell a company when I'm looking to be hired that I have had back surgery. Any advice? Thanks!

your gonna have a hard time finding a good job anyway - so, I would do this

[ In Reply To ..]
I would find a job (any job) and then after you are hired, start working. At the end of every hour, hang up, take 10 minutes, dial back in. You will have to make up all this time, therefore extending your work day, but do what you have to do. If they say that is not acceptable, get a doctors excuse and fax it to them. If they fire you, then I would talk to an attorney.

I think every one of us should be able to get up after an hour and stretch, there are too many injuries and health risks that come from sitting that long.

I would also try and find a way to make a stand up work station as well, and then move from one station to the next throught the day.

Standing While Working - Old MT

[ In Reply To ..]
You could use speech recognition (not joking), and then you could move around a bit. You likely know all the "don't do's" when using the speech machine, and if you purchase a goooood one, it should be plenty accurate so you're not constantly having to make changes.

Most dictators we have don't have a clue how to use the speech rec, but we sure do.

Break every hour. - jw

[ In Reply To ..]
We should all get up for a few minutes every hour and that should not be questioned. It is not good for your health to sit for long periods of time. Good Luck!!

I get up every hour - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I have never heard a peep out of Nuance about not being on. They certainly don't have a pop up.

I get up every hour - anon - MT2

[ In Reply To ..]
I wasn't talking about Nuance. Sorry!
I didn't mean to imply you were talking about Nuance. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I was just saying that they don't track our every move. Nothing more, nothing less.

back to work after back surgery - MT2

[ In Reply To ..]
You know YOU are right! THAT is what I will tell them upon interview! Anyone experienced should appreciate your request and insistence on this! Why should I have to go into my personal history? Geez! THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH!!

Similar Messages:

Back Surgery
Jan 08, 2011

The patient underwent back surgery which was further complicated with diskitis of L4-L5 resulting in recurrent s/l thrombolotic lopathies. ...

MEP - Neurology - Back Surgery
Oct 13, 2010

Motor ___________ Potential ??? What is the middle word?  MEP.   Thanks. ...

Back Surgery- Screws -
Apr 13, 2015

Stupid question, but how would you write this? We placed "6-5-45" screws in the sacrum and placed "7-5-50" screws in L5. 6.5 forty-five and 7.5 fifty? ...

Low Back Pain Secondary To S/l Searic Surgery
Sep 02, 2010

Anyone know what type of surgery this doc is referring to? The patient has chronic low back secondary to s/l searic surgery... Thanks in advance!!     ...

Back Surgery Help! Recess Decompression, Posterolateral Fusion
Oct 28, 2009

This is what i dictated, I bolded things I am questioning/don't know:  She was advised that she would benefit from L2-L3, L3-L4, L4-L5 central and bilateral recess decompression L2 to second posterolateral fusion with K 2 mesa and                     ten ah lee instrumentation system local autograph. Vitoss and infused bone grafting surgery. I am not sure about K2 mesa and ten ...

Back Surgery: A S/l Pixel Four Was Placed Into The Disc Space For Better Visualization....??
Mar 29, 2010

n/a ...

Does Anyone Ever Hear Back Anymore From Jobs Posted? In The Past I Always Heard Back Even If I Was N
Dec 10, 2012

Dang It - DQS Back Up But My Job Did Not Come Back To Me.
Mar 31, 2011

. ...

I'm Back...I'm Back In The Saddle Again!!!!
Jul 02, 2014

Back to being an MT, and yes, I am excited about that. ...

The Patient Is To Followup With "FNG", Patient Had Back Surgery
Dec 05, 2009

???????? Never heard this?????? ...

Well, Back To NJA Again..
Oct 27, 2009

Oh dear, here it goes again. ...NJA and a whole week to go on this pay period.  Due to my sickness I had to take off my 3a-5a shift, but now cannot get work to make up.   I long ago used up all my PTO.   Arrgggghhh.  Arggghhhh.   Argghhhh.  Argghhh.  I am practicing my pirate sounds for Halloween.  I've already got the screaming banshee routine down so much I have nothing but low growly voice left. ...

I Wonder If They'd Take Me Back.
Jun 22, 2011

I quit last July because they couldn't keep me "transcriptioning," sent my resignation to my supervisor, and then received a letter in October stating that I was terminated.   Loved it!  And I'm thinking of reapplying.  Ought to be an interesting experience.. lol..  just love it!  I don't have anything else to do, and what other company would let you not work for 3 months before they terminated you?   Did I mention how much I love this ...

I Got Back Into DQS
Nov 04, 2010

I just got back in so maybe problem is fixed?! ...

Getting Back In To MT
Dec 06, 2010

Thanks so much for any advice! I am newly divorced and working at a call center, and I have an MT certificate from Everett Community College, and even though I have lost 1/2 of my stuff thanks to my ex, I seem to have held on to my foot pedal, software, and that is about it. I would like to start over and try to find an MT job. I had an excellent GPA in school but have never worked. I graduated in 2007. Am I crazy to try? I figure it is now or never, anyway. If someone here is optimistic enough ...

Getting Back Into The Biz
Mar 15, 2011

Hi all, I'm getting back into editing after a 5-year hiatus.  I'm being offered .06 cpl at this time.  Back in the day, it was an hourly wage I made.. so, am trying to figure out what it's going to take volume wise to make a decent paycheck.  Anyone have any suggestions for me?  Thanks, I appreciate this site  and your input very much! ...

DQS Back Up For Me...nm
Jun 11, 2012

nm ...

MM Wants Me Back
Sep 17, 2012

ok so after 13 years, having to resort to food stamps and borrowing money to make my rent, I leave MM approx 2-1/2 months ago to to type for 2 docs and 2 PAs in a private practice at $15/hr, no weekends, no holidays, beautiful office building, 1 hour lunch...and I get a call asking if I would consider coming back to MM ... AND I wouldn't even have to test for them!. ha....ha ha....ha ha ha....ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ...

Anyone Back In Yet?
Oct 31, 2012

Just wanna take a nap. ...

Im Back Up
Nov 26, 2012

:) ...

Looking To Get Back Into MT???
Dec 15, 2012

I worked in medical transcription for about 3 years, but it has been about 3 years since I have done it. I really need to get back into it due to the fact my family needs the extra income. I cannot work outside the home because my daughter has special needs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. ...

Is Anyone Else Back In?
Nov 11, 2013

Everything (for me) seems to be uploading/downloading OK.  Light is still red though.  ...

BACK AND FORTH!!!!!!
Mar 12, 2014

Since the announcement of MModal bankruptcy, I have had such mixed feelings.  First of all, I have just begun my 17th year with this company.  I have been through many TSMs or whatever they are now.  I have only had 1 that was totally unreasonable which I guess is pretty fortunate.  Like everyone else, I make about half the money I used to with this company.  I am a tier 3 MT and have been since the beginning.  I have 30 years of MT experience, have a degree in heal ...

I Want To Go Back To My Old Job
Mar 25, 2014

I left in good standing I think! Two week notice, exit interview, good words about company, etc. ...

Wish I Had My Old MT Job Back...
Jun 29, 2014

I am still at M*Modal but have a different position which I thought was going to be a promotion, but I am not as enthused about it as I first was. Is it possible to go back to being an MT (since I am already an employee) even though there is a hiring freeze? How could I ask anonymously? ...

OK Now Back Up!
Sep 25, 2014

x ...

Has Anyone Been Able To Get Back In Yet?
Oct 01, 2014

. ...

Is Everyone Back In Now?
Oct 01, 2014

x ...

Anybody Back In Yet?
Nov 12, 2014

nm ...

Anybody Back Down?
Nov 27, 2014

can't log into server ...

It's Like Still Being Back In The 80's
Jun 08, 2015

We're in the digital age now, with crisp, clear sound transmission available, not having to use scratchy cassett tapes, so why are we still getting reports so fuzzy, you can't even make out whats's being said?  Every day.  Every single day they come through.  You can tell the dictator himself was clear when he spoke, yet it shounds like he's talking through a garden hose or under water when we get it.  Then WE'RE criticized and marked off if the repor ...