A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

This blog might interest those that work for Nuance or M*Modal - transitioning MT

Posted: Jul 11, 2012

Is There A Market Reshuffling On The Horizon For The Medical Transcription Industry?

Today I’m going to indulge in something I rarely do, much to the exasperation of my wife Carol. A goodly number of our conversations begin with her asking me, “What do you suppose…” and end with me saying, “I don’t have a clue.” I’m not sure if this reluctance to speculate is a guy thing or just a facet of my own particular personality, but for once I’m going to go out on a limb and think about, “What if…”

The catalyst for my speculative mood was the recent acquisition of M*Modal by One Equity Partners. In addition to the jaw-dropping size of the deal–$1.1 billion–the fact that a public company is going private instead of the other way around is quite interesting to me. Add to that the speculation on the part of at least one industry analyst that One Equity’s plan may be to re-sell after 18 months, and my mind really starts wondering (or wandering, as the case may be!)

Let me be clear: I have no inside information whatsoever about the M*Modal deal; everything I’m about to say is indeed pure speculation. With that said, I figure the acquisition was mostly about automated speech recognition and natural language processing/understanding technology. Ironically, M*Modal’s only other major competitor in this space, Nuance, has really done M*Modal a huge favor by heightening awareness of the potential for ASR/NLP/NLU across a broad spectrum of applications. Of course there’s no way to know for sure, but I would be shocked if a private equity firm such as One Equity would have ever even thought about paying north of a billion dollars for a relatively unknown company like M*Modal under different circumstances. But with all the publicity Nuance has been getting lately, it seems like everybody and their brother-in-law knows what speech recognition is. During a conference call with analysts after the One Equity deal was announced, M*Modal CEO Vern Davenport was quoted as saying, ”I really feel like we’re coming at this at the right moment.” Truer words were never spoken.

And speaking of Apple and Nuance, while I’m in the speculating mood, how long can it be before Apple (or Microsoft) pulls the trigger on a deal to buy Nuance and be done with it? Especially after the M*Modal buy, I will be genuinely shocked if Nuance is not acquired by Apple before the end of the year. Again, I have no crystal ball, and I don’t pretend to be a M&A guru, but it just seems logical to me. And if that were to happen, and if Microsoft really wants to beat Apple at their own game, at that point Ballmer should be on the phone to One Equity to talk about M*Modal.

So what, you may ask, does any of this have to do with a possible market rearrangement in the medical transcription industry? Quite simply, if in fact the M*Modal acquisition was mostly about technology, and if in fact Nuance was to be acquired for the same reason, I think it’s reasonable to wonder whether or not an outfit like Apple or Microsoft really wants to be in the transcription business. And if not, what would that mean for our industry? It doesn’t seem far-fetched to me that we could see existing M*Modal and Nuance transcription services spun off or sold off in the scenario I’ve described. Of course, that raises the question of who would be looking to buy if One Equity and/or a new hypothetical Nuance owner were interested in selling off their transcription divisions? What would be the implications of a transcription industry where Nuance and M*Modal were NOT the big dogs?

As you might have noticed, I have a lot of questions and speculation but not much else. I could be wildly off target on all of this, and it wouldn’t be the first time. But I can’t help but believe that our industry is headed for an even more tumultuous ride than any of us would have thought a month ago.

Jay Vance, CMT, CHP

To respond go to http://hdstoday.com

Very informative, thank you - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Very interesting and informative. Thanks for posting it.

My mind does not want to even comprehend this. Ugh. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't even begin to think what might happen if this man's pondering is even close to the truth.

The Author of the blog - Alice

[ In Reply To ..]
For those of you who may not be aware, the author of that blog has been in the MT industry himself (not just as the husband of an MT as suggested by his blog) for quite a few years. At one time, he owned an MTSO company, and he was my first "boss." So, I believe that his insight and observations are quite credible.

Absolutely - transitioning MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I just assumed everyone knew who he was. Actually, his entire blog is insightful to industry trends and worth a read. He is on Linkedin as well if anyone wants to look him up. Thanks for the follow-up!
To carry his speculation further, maybe situating for a - future merger would explain the low pay at Nu
[ In Reply To ..]
Nuance to MT/MEs, the 99.5% for 3 months to qualify for incentive, etc.: to spiff up the Nuance Transcription Services balance sheet in preparation for negotiations.

We experienced unofficial pay cuts at Webmedx before the merger with Nuance, when it went from being a good company to work for to a bad one. Similar to Nuance now, in fact. What I remember best is how the simple act of cancelling primary and secondary accounts caused my income to plummet, which no doubt in turn dropped the figures on their labor costs significantly.

Similar Messages:

Is Nuance And M-Modal Joint Services? Posting Here For Nuance AC, Got Email To Test For M-Modal.
May 01, 2012

I thought they were 2 different services.  Everyone is buying out everyone, so who knows.  All the small companies have been merged I guess.  I thought Nuance was out of New York and were the primary with VR.  Maybe one has to keep up with the changes and be a member and pay the dues and go to the meetings with AAMT and be a CMT to keep up with the changes, even though you still get 4 cents. ...

Career Blog
May 01, 2013

I found this blog I thought ya'll might be interested in.  It's about a woman in her 50s who used to be a freelance at-home writer/editor who was paid per piece.  She's now trying to re-enter the workforce.  I haven't read all her posts, but I still thought it would be helpful to some of you who are trying to get out of MT.   http://jobs.aol.com/articles/bloggers/gail-belsky/ ...

Check Out MModal Blog
Oct 30, 2014

This company will follow their pattern.  Good luck. ...

Nuance Vs. MQ/M*Modal
Apr 15, 2012

Anyone worked for MQ before Nuance who can say which is worse/better?  Sick and tired of M*Modal.  I'm sure there are comments somewhere on the board about this before, but I can't find them.  Thanks! ...

M*Modal Or Nuance
Aug 26, 2012

Which company is better to work for, M*Modal or Nuance?  I'd like some honest, positive feedback on each company before I decide which one to sign with.  Thank you!! ...

M-Modal/Nuance QA
Oct 21, 2012

Nuance Fiesa QA program is a PITA.  How is M-Modal's QA system in comparison? ...

Nuance Vs M*Modal
Dec 11, 2012

I currently work for Assistmed, but have a phone interview with Nuance and M*Modal later this week.  I have read all the reviews about both companies and still not sure which is better.  Anyone have any experience with either of the two or any input on which company is better?  ...

Nuance/M-modal
Aug 17, 2013

I wonder if M-modal is trying desperately to keep their heads above water so as not to be bought out by Nuance.  I just can't fathom all these layoffs.  I'm really truly sorry.  How heavy your hearts must be right now.   It's just incomprehensible that they would do this to all of you.   ...

Nuance Vs. M-Modal
Jan 02, 2014

I just accepted an offer from Nuance.  I know, I know.  I used to work for M-Modal when it was Medquist three years ago.  I loved the DocQScribe platform.  Has anyone gone from working for M-Modal to Nuance?  Was there any change in the way lines were counted?  How do you compare working on Nuance's platform versus that of M-Modal? ...

M-Modal Or Nuance
Jan 13, 2014

Good Intentions.  Which is the better company MM or Nuance? ...

Nuance Or M*Modal?
Mar 26, 2014

I've learned a lot from the M*Modal side, but now if you don't mind I would like to ask questions about Nuance. 1. Do they hire part-time, and if yes what might a schedule consist of? 2. What are the line requirements? 3. Weekend work required? 4. What shifts are offered, do they have 1st/2nd/3rd? And, just about anything that is on your mind. TIA! ...

If You Had To Pick - Nuance Or M*Modal?
Jul 21, 2012

I've read more bad than good on both companies. ...

Same Thing At Nuance As M*Modal?
Apr 04, 2013

I'm in shock about all the layoffs at M*Modal this morning!  I'm sure everyone else is too.  I'm scared/worried the same thing might happen to Nuance now.  I see job postings all the time for both companies.  It's crazy how they hire all these people and then layoff a bunch of people.  I'm curious to know how many people in total got laid off.  Does anyone else see this coming at Nuance?  ...

Is There Anything Good About M-Modal And Nuance?
Dec 25, 2013

I've reached the point where I'll work for almost any company, even M-Modal or Nuance, if it means I can get a steady paycheck.  My current company is going down the tubes fast.  I've hung in here as long as I possibly can, but I think it's an exercise in futility.  Does anyone at M-Modal or Nuance have any positive experiences, or is it really as bad as all the posts make it sound?  Surely there must be "something" good, or they wouldn't have so man ...

Website That Would Be Of Interest To
May 28, 2010

I think it was Kiki who was considering taking on op notes ?  This is a great website to look up standard procedures and become familiar with the vocab:  http://mtsamples.com/ ...

Losing M-Modal With Nuance Acquisition
May 21, 2012

Can you tell me what we will notice or how we will be impacted when M-Modal is taken away from Transcend/Nuance employees.  (If indeed it is taken away.) TIA. ...

Transcend/Nuance - M-Modal Question.
Jun 20, 2012

When Wmx was taken over M-modal was taken from us.  Do you at Transcend still use it and are you having it taken away also?  ...

Opinions On M-Modal Versus Nuance.
Jul 09, 2012

Working right now for NTS (lots of dirt here), but would like some honest opinions on M-Modal.  They sent me an email wanting me to test (as i am sure they have many others), and today I got an automated phone call from them.  Anyone know if this would be an improvement?  Thanks! ...

M*Modal Or Nuance? Pros And Cons?
Sep 19, 2012

. ...

Interesting Article, Nuance/M*Modal 20% Of Tx Business. Sm
May 22, 2012

Although this article dates back to March, I found it interesting. Had no idea that Nuance and MQ (M*Modal) only had 20% of the transcription business when this was written in March, 2012. http://seekingalpha.com/article/408141-can-transcend-services-write-its-own-ticket ...

Job Hunting.....which Is Better - Nuance Or M'Modal? Have Read All Posts.
Jun 27, 2012

Now taking a poll.   :) ...

Hmmm Interesting Read About Nuance Trying To Buy M*Modal
Jul 17, 2012

No clue what this means to us peons working the trenches, but interesting, see link: http://hdstoday.com/?p=143   ...

Along The Same Idea Of Conflict Of Interest, A Person In
Aug 28, 2010

They really have no bite.  She said the courts dont like to tell people they cannot work.  Also,  you couldnt tell a plumber he could do your work, but not the Smith's work.  Same thing applies to MT/Ed ICs. ...

Bring It Back Up= Conflict Of Interest
Aug 29, 2010

Why not just read your contract and find out for yourself instead of relying on the opinions of other people? In the end, neither company will care what someone told you; they will only care about a contract YOU  signed. The company I worked for had specifically stated in their contract that we could not work for any company that is in competition with them (any other MTSO) so in this case I would be in violation of that contract. We could work for a hospital, a clinic, a physician, etc, di ...

Math Whiz Help Needed. $25,000 At 3.00% Interest.
Jan 04, 2011

x ...

Excellent Blog Post On MT Wages (and Transcend Class-action Suit)
May 21, 2012

http://mtanywhere.blogspot.com/2012/05/transcriptionists-file-class-action.html   ...

Survey Of Interest For Department Of Labor Suit.
May 07, 2015

I've been observing Medquist/M*modal for the past number of years since their previous law suit. The technologies they have employed as of late are widely viewed as intentionally inhibiting, many employees stating that this speech recognition program, as well as constant shuffling of work pools, or "pods" prevent the familiarity that is central to profit,accuracy, and productivity. I intend to gauge the interest and willingness of participation in the current M*modal employee community. Pl ...

Left Medquist (M*Modal) To Work For Webmedx (Nuance). Now Thinking Of Going Back. Sm
Nov 02, 2012

Is anyone in the same boat?  I am seriously contemplating it because I can't afford my medications, groceries, rent, bills, living, etc. anymore. ...

The "Blog" Mentality Is Something Our Country And Industry Should Fear
Jul 18, 2012

There is a discussion below about blogs. I've felt for a long time that the whole idea of blogging has some danger flags. First, bloggers talk to us. They represent one philosophy or present facts from one person's viewpoint. Readers can often reply, but any dissenting viewpoints are quickly shut down. Independent thinking is discouraged in a number of ways. We are told what to think, what movies or TV shows to watch, what jobs we should take, what books we should read. It's usual ...

On ROS, Genitourinary: She Has S/l "dys Pur A Mee A", As Well As No Sexual Interest.
Nov 16, 2010

On ROS, Genitourinary:  She has s/l "dys pur a mee a", as well as no sexual interest and dryness.  ...