A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Just another familiar vent about applying for jobs, testing, etc. - anon

Posted: Sep 22, 2010

I am thankful to be working for a company who provides plenty of work, easy platform, great QA, greats supervisors, etc., but the pay lacks, so I have been looking off and on for something a little better, again, pay-wise. 

I received an email today from a company, who has had great reviews on this board, about testing for them.   So, I open the attachment and there are 14 pages in the written portion of the test, once that is completed and if I pass that, I then have to take the transcription portion of the test.  At this point I closed the test and deleted the email.  Seriously, 14 pages for a test???? 

I have now decided that I will keep the job that I have and instead of working 12 hours a day just to tread water, I will try 14 to hopefully gain some.  This is just really frustrating.  I have over 25 years experience, multispecialty and acute care, virtually all specialties and to have to spend that amount of time on the written test is just ridiculous, in my opinion. 

Thanks for listening ... vent over.

Testing - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
I feel the same as you. I will stay with what I have. I am burned out on testing. I don't have TIME to take these tedious tests. sigh!!!!

Could not agree completely! I tested for a company a couple of weeks ago (sm) - anonMT

[ In Reply To ..]
and it took me three hours to complete between the written and transcription portions. In my opinion that is ridiculous! I have over 25 years experience in this profession and would think that would be enough to at least get my foot in the door without that amount of extensive testing ... NOT!

I have decided, at this stage, that since I am not desperate (yet) for a job that I will NOT take any tests that will take longer than an hour and even that, in my opinion, is still way too long.

testing - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I have over 21 years experience in five different specialties. Over the past year or so, I have applied for numerous PT positions (one of my physicians has recently retired) directly related to the specialities that I am comfortable in. Every time, I have to take a test that has nothing to do with the specialty that the company is advertising for. I always get the same reply - that my written portion was perfect, but while my transcription portion was very good, it was not "good enough" for the position. If I am applying for an ophthalmology position, why am I taking a test that does not have one single thing to do with ophthalmology??

The other problem I am finding is that I can't seem to find out hours, days, cpl, etc. without testing first. This seems like such a waste of time for me and for the company as they may be hiring for days/hours that I am not able to do.

Thanks for letting me vent as well!!

Burned out on testing - Julia

[ In Reply To ..]
I also need a better job with better pay, but I don't have the time to take the tests as well. Before I landed the job I have now, I spent so much time testing that it was like a job in and of itself. What gets me is that you don't find out of the particulars of the job until you have spent an afternoon testing! On the other hand, I did receive 3 job offers which did not require testing. All 3 were for voice recognition and the pay was absolutely dismal.

testing - MTer

[ In Reply To ..]
I am so glad I am not the only one having testing issues. I have now been turned down by several companies after having passed the question portions of tests with flying colors. Then comes the transcription portion and I lose out. My accounts have always come with templates so that I don't have to set up a report from scratch. These tests are sooooo frustrating! It is like having a full-time job just to test!

Similar Messages:

Just Another Vent About Jobs, No Jobs, Requirement Of Jobs, Etc.
Aug 18, 2010

It is insulting to all of us with the way that MT pay has gone down the drain, it is frustrating and aggravating to look for a "decent" job these days, trying to work out which companies will treat you fairly, which ones lie about their platforms, work, etc., and not only do these companies not want to pay us what we are worth but now I see that MANY companies are requiring the MT to have or "be willing" to purchase hundreds of dollars worth of equipment.  If an employer can PROMISE IN ...

Burned Out On Job Applying, Testing Etc.
May 10, 2010

Are there NO decent places out there to work? Just when I see something that looks like what I am seeking and want to apply, all I see is negative posts.  I realize that everyone has their opinion and just because someone does not like it does not mean I would not etc. BUT, there are always more than one negative opinion, and all cases that I chose to ignore warnings, I walked right into the nightmare, just like they said I would. Seriously, is ANYONE happy where they work? Please tel ...

MD-IT After Applying And Testing With Them Recently?
Aug 10, 2010

Curious if anyone has heard back from MD-IT after applying and testing with them recently?  TIA. ...

For Everyone Tired Of Applying And Testing, Over And
Oct 25, 2012

Here is a website by a headhunter that is a real eye-opener.  We all know it isn't just the MTSO's who are jerking people around (they're just the most adept at it, that's all!)  For the past 2 years, I've come to believe that online job search sites and online job applications were hurting, now helping us.  Come to find, my thinking was on the right track: http://corcodilos.com/blog/5639/pbs-newshour-online-job-applications-keep-america-unemployed ...

Testing And Applying For Coding Positions
Jan 17, 2013

I became certified in September of last year and am still applying for coding positions. I just completed an 8-page coding assessment and I used the 2012 CPT and ICD-9-CM books I have now.  I am wondering if there is a way to find codes for 2013 to add to my 2012 books without having to buy new books at $$$. ...

Is Webmedx Worth Testing And Applying For? How Much Straight
Jan 25, 2010

nm ...

After Applying For Jobs....
Oct 20, 2009

How long should I wait after applying for a job before following up? And what's the best way to followup? Also, I'd like to ask what caused them to overlook my resume if that's the case. BUT would that just make me even more of a pest and make them Black-ball me?! I HATE WAITING!!! Can you tell? :) ...

Done Applying For MT Jobs
Apr 10, 2012

I need to write this for my own sake. I can no longer apply or test for these company positions. I am being rejected in one way or another by all of them. I have done this for going on 30 years. I can't take it anymore. It is so very very painful to deal with this. I think in my heart I have given up finding any MT position or any job at this point in my life. All I do is get angry, cry, throw things. Very very depressed and I get from friends is either God has something special for ...

To People Applying/looking For Jobs
Jun 20, 2011

I applied for one of the jobs listed on here and another site.  I got a call saying they would call last Friday.  When that didn't happen, I got an email saying they would call today in a certain time frame.  That still has not happened.  I know patience is a virtue and that they are dealing with multiple resumes, but I had an email from a recruiter in the specialty area that I was looking at, so I was hoping the number of resumes had dropped some (not just a general rec ...

Applying For Out Of State Jobs
Mar 01, 2013

I'm sure that this question has been asked and answered before, but wanted to bring it up again.  Have any of you ever applied for an MT position for a clinic or hospital that was out of state and asked if you could work from home for the clinic/hospital, and you were hired by the clinic/hospital?  I see so many ads for MTs, but none are in my state and more than most times, they don't list whether telecommuting is an option (perhaps it is assumed in that regard that the posi ...

Question About Applying For Hospital Jobs
Jan 17, 2013

I was wondering about something and maybe somebody has an answer. If I go to the hospital's website and apply for a listed opening and do not get called for an interview, what happens if I want to apply again for a different job? Do they keep my resume on file? Would they call me if a position opens up? I haven't been job hunting in a long time and this is how it used to work. I would certainly change my resume and cover letter to apply for the different position, to highlight wha ...

Gotta Vent - Applied For Many Jobs And...
Jun 02, 2015

Either get email or phone call asking when they can contact me, I reply, and they never do!  Why not just tell me the job is filled??  GRR... ...

Feel Guilty When Applying For Part-time Jobs
Dec 10, 2013

I'll leave them as soon as a full-time position opens up.  I'm trying to exit the MT field, so I am applying and sending resumes for Unit Secretary positions, Patient Registrar positions, Specimen Processor positions, etc.  Right now, it looks like I will be simultaneously applying for a part-time position as well as a full-time position.  There's a daytime office cleaning position I am thinking about applying for tomorrow morning, and there is a full-time family pr ...

Testing For Jobs!!!!!!!!!!
Aug 25, 2010

Hello everyone! I finished my schooling about two months ago. I started looking for jobs when I first started and a year later I'm still having the same problem. The testing for the big MTSO are so hard. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time passing these tests. Well actually I do. The dictation is so hard to understand. They either barely speak english or they speak so fast that you can't understand what is coming out of their mouth. Does anyone have any tips or advic ...

Testing For Jobs
Oct 16, 2010

I am in a quandry.  I have tested for multiple companies now and pass with flying colors on the terminology and fill-ins, but am losing out in the transcription testing portion.  I never went to formal MT school, but have been working for over 3 years for a small MTSO and have transcribed for oncologists, gastroenterologists, ophthalmologists, orthopedists, family practice physicians and have never had an issue with the quality of my work.  I also purchased the AHDI Book of Style and have bee ...

Do I Bother Applying For "no Newbies" Jobs?
Nov 08, 2009

I've just finished MT school and am starting to apply for jobs while I wait for my final grade.  There is nothing in town, I live in a small town and the hospital fired all their MTs, so I need to work from home. But every ad I see says no newbies AND many say school doesn't count for experience. Of course, my school promised that most places did count our training as 2 years' experience, but I have this sinking suspicion they lied. Do I go ahead and apply for these jobs, or ...

Saince Testing? Transcription Or Vocabulary/terminology Type Testing?
Jun 16, 2014

Anyone willing to tell if it is multiple dictations, how many, etc.  Were you able to get foot pedal to work with it? any info helpful.  ...

Anyone Familiar With MD-IT?
Feb 18, 2010

I was thinking of applying and would like to know if anybody has any experience with them; plenty of work or not, schedule, do they offshore, etc. ...

Anyone Familiar With...
Apr 13, 2010

MD-IT? ...

Are You Familiar With
Dec 15, 2011

a company by the name of dtsok (Digital Transcription in Oklahoma).  If so, what do you think of the platform they use?  It is called SpeechMotion (supposed to be similar to Chartnet).  I just started working there and now I wonder how an MT can produce enough lines to make it worth her while.  It seems rather involved and lots of steps to go through to complete a report.  Am I wrong?  Should I stick with it before I am really familiar with this platform or should I ...

Anyone Familiar With Chartscript?
Oct 20, 2009

Is anyone familiar with Chartscript? Is it user-friendly? ...

Not Too Familiar With Cardiac
Dec 30, 2009

Is is J-point ST elevation or J-point and ST elevation? ...

Not Familiar With EKG Readings
Nov 03, 2010

I am not familiar with EKG readings.  It sounds like the physician is stating the patient has "deep and lateral" ST depressions.  Does "deep and lateral" sound right?  ...

Anyone Familiar With ExecuScribe?
Nov 17, 2010

Anyone familiar with ExecuScribe? ...

Familiar With Medscribe?
Sep 07, 2011

Is anyone familiar with Medscribe? How are they to work for, etc.? ...

Anyone Familiar With ChartNet?-sm
May 18, 2012

I'm trying to learn it...no training provided by company.  What does "previous notes" mean.  I thought I knew but now not sure.  I have tons of questions but I guess I will learn as I go. Thank you. ...

Anyone Familiar With M*Modal?
Oct 16, 2012

Anyone familiar with M*Modal?  I was able to complete part of their testing and still working on the dictation part of the test.  Figured I better check them out before I go to all the trouble of completing the test.  I think I saw they were related to Medquist, but not sure.  Medquist is not all that anymore, at least that is what I have heard.  Any help would be appreciated.  I am in trouble of losing my current job due to EMR.  Thanks. ...

Who Are Familiar With Bayscribe
Mar 06, 2013

Those of you who are familiar with Bayscribe, did you find:  The spell check dictionary is void of many common words?  It also does not detect uncapped words at the beginning of sentences or spacing issues. The word expander locks up for periods of time so cannot create new expansions. It has horrible quirks that cause expansions not to work correctly (they just don't expand) , capital letters show up in the middle of sentences and do not cap where they are supposed to, and extra ...

Is Anyone Familiar With Precyse?
Mar 11, 2013

Is anyone familiar with Precyse?  I'm thinking of applying there.  Thanks for any info. ...

Anyone Familiar With EMDAT?
Apr 22, 2013

I may have a job offer from a company that utilizes EMDAT software. I am not familiar with it at all. It seems that it does not use a foot pedal, which seems odd to me. Any input on EMDAT would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! ...