A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Testing for jobs - MTer

Posted: Oct 16, 2010

I am in a quandry.  I have tested for multiple companies now and pass with flying colors on the terminology and fill-ins, but am losing out in the transcription testing portion.  I never went to formal MT school, but have been working for over 3 years for a small MTSO and have transcribed for oncologists, gastroenterologists, ophthalmologists, orthopedists, family practice physicians and have never had an issue with the quality of my work.  I also purchased the AHDI Book of Style and have been following the sample reports when I test.  I really don't know what I am doing wrong!  I have a spell checker too.  Just can't figure out what I am doing wrong!  Can anyone shed some light?  The last company I tested with was kind enough to tell me I scored an 82.  Unfortunately they don't tell you what you got wrong.  I'm really feeling defeated at this point as I've always had a knack for spelling and grammar, find medical terminology pretty interesting, and I care about the work I do.  Any pointers other than the obvious taking a medical transcription course?  Right now I don't really have the $$$ or the time for that.   

transcription test - truffle

[ In Reply To ..]
I would listen through the dictation again (following along with what you have transcribed) a couple of times after you are finished. Maybe you are leaving out small words or something like that.

Do you have QA at your MTSO that reviews your work periodically?

transcription test - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I would suggest that you not try to finish the whole test in one sitting. I have found that doing half one day and then finishing early the next morning works better for me because I am much fresher (especially try this when you relisten to the dictations). Don't dwell too long on words you can't get, leave blank and come back. Also, try not to get discouraged. I trained for 2 years at a community college and have 5 years of transcribing experience and still fail a lot of these transx tests. I think it is because many people have different styles and perceptions of what is right and wrong grammatically, formatting etc. Many of these companies choose the worst tranx they can find such as ESLs, mumblers and fast talkers, not to mention the testing platforms being difficult to use. Hope this helps a bit.

Are you testing at the MTTest website? (sm) - Yochana

[ In Reply To ..]
I saved this thread for future reference and will post it here. But, apparently HOW you save the transcription part matters when testing on MTTest.

Sure. - (sm)
Posted: May 13th, 2010 - 1:38 am In Reply to: Would you mind clarifying #3 under - transcription? SM

On the mttest.com site, once you get to the transcription portion, you will probably have more than 1 report to transcribe. Usually they have 4 reports.

You can "save" any report at any given time and take a break (log out and come back another time to finish). This simply saves the information you have transcribed. You can go back to the site and pick up where you left off. You can also use this feature to do a "draft" on all reports and just simply "save" so you can go back and re-read or re-listen before submitting.

You also have the option to "save this report and go to the next report". This will permanently save the one you just finished and mark it with a green checkmark and move you to the next report. You cannot go back to the previous report once you choose that option.

My advice is to simply save each report so you can go back and work/proof/re-listen, etc., until you are ready to submit that report. Then choose the "save this report and move to the next one" option. Review that report and repeat until all 4 have a green checkmark next to them.

Then you click the button that submits the whole transcription portion. You cannot go back once you click that button.

I have a question about this - #3
Posted: May 13th, 2010 - 9:51 am In Reply to: Sure. - (sm)

If you mark the report save and go to next report it will let you go back in to edit it, but does it not save the changes you make? I think that is what I have been doing wrong. I got feedback from a company saying that I had 11 errors in 4 reports and I knew there was no way that was possible. I had listened to those sound files 3 times each and made corrections. But, I had marked them complete and went to the next and then went back to proof and correct them. So, did it not save the corrections I made when I went back and listened again?

Once the green check mark is in place there are - no changes made to the transcription tests
Posted: May 13th, 2010 - 1:14 pm In Reply to: I have a question about this - #3

So if you went back and listened once you had already hit the box that said save this and go to the next file, no, none of your changes were made.
OMG.....that is what I have been doing wrong - No wonder
Posted: May 14th, 2010 - 11:34 am In Reply to: Once the green check mark is in place there are - no changes made to the transcription tests

I feel like an idiot. No wonder I wasn't passing these test. I thought that was the only way to move on to the next test was by marking it save and go to next test....jeesh. I actually had a company nice enough to tell me what my errors were in the report and while she was telling me, I was wondering does she have the correct test, because I know I didn't leave those mistakes in there. Well now maybe I can find a decent job since I know this.

Sure hope this helps you. :-)

Testing - MTer

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I have been working in the MTTest site mainly. And I have been just saving without the green check mark and going back in to listen again. Maybe I am rushing through too quickly because I want to get another job. I was taking numerous tests the one week because I sent out so many applications. It was like I was working full-time just to do testing. I'm really thinking I might want to try something else since I am getting so discouraged in reading about how many companies hire and then have no work. I've been wracking my brain to come up with other work I can do from home. I enjoy doing creative things like painting furniture and crafty type things, but not sure I could count on making any money with those either. Why didn't I become a speech therapist like my Mom wanted me to be? Much better job forcast for that profession! Now I'm too broke and lacking the drive to go back to school.

Testing something that I do - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
Another thing that I do, is type the dictation portion of the test files in Word, run my spell check and the cut and paste into the "test document" after relistening to the report. I then "Save report as" and complete the report and go to the next one. HTH

Similar Messages:

Testing For Jobs!!!!!!!!!!
Aug 25, 2010

Hello everyone! I finished my schooling about two months ago. I started looking for jobs when I first started and a year later I'm still having the same problem. The testing for the big MTSO are so hard. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time passing these tests. Well actually I do. The dictation is so hard to understand. They either barely speak english or they speak so fast that you can't understand what is coming out of their mouth. Does anyone have any tips or advic ...

Just Another Familiar Vent About Applying For Jobs, Testing, Etc.
Sep 22, 2010

I am thankful to be working for a company who provides plenty of work, easy platform, great QA, greats supervisors, etc., but the pay lacks, so I have been looking off and on for something a little better, again, pay-wise.  I received an email today from a company, who has had great reviews on this board, about testing for them.   So, I open the attachment and there are 14 pages in the written portion of the test, once that is completed and if I pass that, I then have to take the ...

Saince Testing? Transcription Or Vocabulary/terminology Type Testing?
Jun 16, 2014

Anyone willing to tell if it is multiple dictations, how many, etc.  Were you able to get foot pedal to work with it? any info helpful.  ...

Just Another Vent About Jobs, No Jobs, Requirement Of Jobs, Etc.
Aug 18, 2010

It is insulting to all of us with the way that MT pay has gone down the drain, it is frustrating and aggravating to look for a "decent" job these days, trying to work out which companies will treat you fairly, which ones lie about their platforms, work, etc., and not only do these companies not want to pay us what we are worth but now I see that MANY companies are requiring the MT to have or "be willing" to purchase hundreds of dollars worth of equipment.  If an employer can PROMISE IN ...

Medical Jobs Online Posting On Jobs Board
Dec 09, 2013

Kind of wondering if this last job posting on the jobs board might be associated with one of those "you pay us to find you a job" type of organization.  I googled Medical Jobs Online and found nothing stating that are a legitimate MTSO :( ...

Where Do I Find The Status Of Jobs And Number Of Jobs?
Nov 26, 2012

I tried entering my ID plus dep on the Fluency for Transcription page and it said my account was inactive.  Okay, so I tried twice with Remedy to get it reactivated.  Both times I got emails telling me it was working.  Tried again and no luck.  Am I on the right page, the one with the hideous orange splash, the same one we use to find our stats?  Any help appreciated, I really don't want to have to call tech support if I don't have to.  Do I even need to d ...

Testing For MQ
Nov 20, 2009

It is truly laughable that MQ expects US MTs to jump through hoops, passing their tests, audits, trying to decipher absolute garbage and paying us like we were 6 month trainees, etc., and then have the audacity to send work to India.  I hope MQ gets its due for all the grief they have caused and their role in the demise of this industry!  If Verizon were to put them out of business, that would definitely be what they deserve. ...

FN Testing/ESL?
Dec 21, 2009

Does anyone work for FutureNet ?? Or worked there in the past on ESL accounts? How was the test?  How are the ESL accounts? Incredibly awful dictators??Thanks! ...

When Testing ....
Mar 17, 2010

How are you supposed to know whether to put the headings and text on the same line or put the text on the line under the heading, put a colon after heading or not put a colon?  They said they go by BOS, but all I see pertaining to that in the BOS is the sample reports where they put the text under the heading with no colons after the heading.  I guess I'll just do it that way.  ...

Lab Testing
Jun 23, 2010

Doctor says her MELD score is 29.  Her s/l madrete???? discriminant function is 85. ...

Osi Testing
Aug 24, 2010

Has anyone ever tested for OSI - I hear it is quite lengthy and indepth - almost more indepth than the CMT test - anyone know from experience ? ...

Testing At ROI
Mar 21, 2011

Has anyone ever taken the test with ROI? and if so, did you pass? WOW what a test! Does anyone else feel the same way? ...

Testing For A Job
Nov 29, 2011

Just wondering, in general, if there is a limit to take a transcription test for a company?  How long are you given to take the test? ...

MME Testing
Jan 14, 2013

Someone told me about testing for MME, but I can't find any info on portal or elsewhere.  Any information about that out there?  Thank you. ...

Testing?
May 03, 2013

What is the purpose of being asked to go into Enrich and take quizzes?  What are they trying to do here?  ...

Testing!!!
Jul 18, 2013

I am hoping someone can help me out with this question. I am a single mother with a 3 and 6 year old. I recently resigned from my job due to management. I also got accepted to school that starts in Aug. I have done medical transcription for over 4 years, but currently not the last two years. I was working for a corporation and management there were all for sabotaging people. Since I have left my job, I knew that I could always come back to transcribing. I am taking tests to only find out, I didn ...

Testing For A MT Job
Feb 07, 2014

How many of you think that testing to get an MT job absolutely ridiculous? When you apply to these so-called medical transcription companies, you send them your resume which I am sure highlights not only your experience, but also your education that you paid good money for and worked hard to obtain.  Yet, they still make you take a test.  Have you realized that the tests are designed for you to fail?    Your whole future is based on one test. Your experience and you ...

Testing For CCS
Feb 19, 2014

Hello, I am a former MT hoping to transition over into medical coding. I have been unemployed since 01/2014. I'm looking for someone that can help me out. I've researched AHIMAs website about the requirements for obtaining the CCS certification. My question is: Can I apply and take the CCS exam during my final class in coding? I have applied for my medical coding certificate and will complete class in 3 months. The website states the requirements are (completed) coursework or work e ...

Job Testing
May 27, 2015

Hi,  I have been with the same company since I started this type of work but need to go elsewhere now.  I have no idea what to expect with testing.  Can someone tell me what it's like?  TY  (I am nervous!) ...

TESTING
Jun 05, 2015

Why are the tests for some of these companies awful?  Pitiful platform, unable to use foot pedal, etc.  By the time you get the dang thing figured out your time is up.  I am just frustrated with the entire process......  I am going to apply at Wal-Mart! ...

Archivus Testing
Oct 12, 2009

I am struggling with the dictation on the archivus testing.  I could only do one report with no blanks, the others are really tough.  Has anyone else had this problem?  What should I do if I cannot finish the reports or have really too many blanks? ...

Orthopedic Testing
Nov 12, 2009

This surgeon dictates the same over and over in multiple reports, and I cannot understand what type of testing this is.  "s/l Manuar test reveals 5/5 strength in forward elevation, external rotation, internal rotation, and abduction." "s/l The remainder of Manuar assessment exam of left upper extremity reveals 5/5 strength throughout all major muscle groups." I thought about the possibility of manual test, but that just does not sound like what he is saying.  Thanks so much! ...

MedQuist And Testing
Nov 18, 2009

Is anyone here familiar with MedQuist's pre-employment testing or their pre-employment process? Does anyone know how much they pay? Thanks!! ...

Testing And Tired :(
Nov 29, 2009

It is getting very hard to even find the energy to test anymore. I have tested till I am blue in the face and dont understand why it is so hard to get a job in this profession. I graduated top of my class with a 3.98 and you would think I would have had a job by now. I did not think it would be this hard to land a good job but wow this really is a hard profession to get started in. I seem to do well on the test and dictations but they always send me emails telling me they have already filled th ...

Tired Of Testing
Dec 16, 2009

Does anybody know of MTSOs that don't require transcription testing?  I'm so tired of spending time testing only to be offered very low cpl in my opinion.  I've been an MT for 20+ years and am trying to find a part-time job.  However, all this testing is really starting to wear me down.  Aren't there any MTSOs out there that just call references anymore?  I'm an IC and have lots of references and regularly do fill-in ...

Company Testing.......
Jan 07, 2010

I tested for a company who stated that my skills were not up to their requirements, which I find very difficult to believe, as I have been in this business for 10 years, nonetheless, I am beginning to wonder if some of these companies are not scamming us.  I was required to transcribe four different files with the shortest one being 6 minutes and the longest 12 minutes, but apparently, they were not good enough.  Again, I am baffled as I kept all the files I did and I did not find one ...

Testing For MedGarde
Feb 24, 2010

Anyone do the testing for MedGarde?  You can't use any foot pedal?  Isn't that crazy? ...

HITECH Testing
Mar 26, 2010

Just found out my employer is requiring all employees to take the HITECH test.  This is from the law that was passed last year.  We were told it would take about 5 hours to complete. Has anyone seen this test or taken it who can share some info (how long, how hard, etc?) Sure wouild appreciate a little info before starting.  Thanks! ...

Enough Of This Unnessary Testing!
Apr 14, 2010

MTSO contacted me by email and we played email tag for a couple of days.  The MTSO stated she wanted to discuss a job that she had available and liked my resume, etc. When talking to the MTSO she said she could not tell me what the job paid until I passed her test.  So, I am suppose to waste my time, yeah right.  She sent me 5 test files, all 8 to 10 minutes in length, and told me to enjoy myself.  Okay,  I started to take the bait, but as she said she liked my resu ...

Hepatitis Testing
Apr 17, 2010

Hepatitis testing:  Hepatitis cAb IgG serum reactive, hepatitis C RNA - s/l QLBPC positive. Not really sure about any of this, but I have no idea what he is saying at the s/l.   thanks ...