A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Feel guilty when applying for part-time jobs - when I know ... sm

Posted: Dec 10, 2013

I'll leave them as soon as a full-time position opens up.  I'm trying to exit the MT field, so I am applying and sending resumes for Unit Secretary positions, Patient Registrar positions, Specimen Processor positions, etc.  Right now, it looks like I will be simultaneously applying for a part-time position as well as a full-time position.  There's a daytime office cleaning position I am thinking about applying for tomorrow morning, and there is a full-time family practice Medical Secretary position that I am thinking about applying to as well.  However, I feel so guilty about applying for the part-time position when I know full well that I would leave them (with two weeks' notice) if I get a full-time position.  If I don't get the full-time position (which has been happening), I will at least have the part-time job.  But, I feel guilty because the optimist in me thinks that I will get the full-time position immediately (you never know--LOL), and then I'll have to turn around and let the part-time job go.  Can someone offer some tips about not feeling guilty?  Please.

Survival is no crime - xtrans

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm going to assume you have bills to pay, like the rest of us. I'm going to assume you want to be able to eat and keep a roof over your head, like the rest of us. Well, then you have to do the best you can with WHAT you can, and sometimes that means taking a job that isn't your first choice, only until something better comes along.

So long as you behave as courteously and professionally as you've said you intend to, with full notice and all of that, you don't have anything to feel bad about. Life happens. Things change.

Plus, if you have others living under your roof, there's your responsibility to them to factor in here, too. Don't they deserve your best efforts to keep the lights on? Of course they do (and even if it's only you in your house, YOU deserve your best efforts).

Meanwhile, I haven't known the company yet who went under because someone quit on them with "only" two weeks' notice, though I've sadly known several who will convert your two-week notice into "just leave now, please."

Relax and have a nice glass of wine (or cup of tea, or glass of juice) and rejoice in having any job, is my vote. You're obviously trying to do the ethical thing here, and that's something to be proud of. It isn't your fault you don't hold all the cards in this game.

Good luck on the full-time position!

Thank you so much for your kind post. So - often, I hear folks ... sm

[ In Reply To ..]
saying to not burn your bridges, and I think that's what I was mostly concerned about. Thank you for pointing out that I'm not approaching these jobs in a cavalier/it's all about me fashion; it's that I need to increase my chances for work by applying to as many jobs as possible, even if there is some overlap.

Again, thank you for taking the time to answer my post!!!!!!!

Re. two-weeks' notice - YorkieMom

[ In Reply To ..]
It seems in this business (though not limited to MT)"no good deed goes unpunished". For example, trying to do the right thing, like giving a 2-week resignation notice, is often met by immediate termination... like they don't really trust you anymore with confidential data. Two-week notice? Yeah, right...when the companies start giving US 2-week notices. Good case, right?

What I would do - see msg pls

[ In Reply To ..]
If you're applying online, we are sometimes very limited in how we can "talk." If the position only offers part-time, I would go ahead and apply with a notation of "looking for full time." This would give them the opportunity to hire you part-time, and keep you in mind for full time. Hopefully, if it's online, you can get this information in on a cover letter or in a comments section.

If you are using the phone for applying, you can spit it right out that you are willing to work part time, but are looking for full time.

Honestly, I wouldn't hold my breath for full time anymore with these new healthcare laws. It's going to suck commpanies dry with the insurance and all that, so I think most companies are going to just want to hire part time so they don't go out of business.

Your other option is to work 2 part time jobs and try to juggle them.

Thanks for your input. The part-time jobs I apply - for are in retail ... sm

[ In Reply To ..]
and for office cleaning positions because these jobs can often be done around the traditional 8-4 and 9-5 office hours. I don't want the part-time jobs to become full time. I need them to stay part time. It's just that I'm applying simultaneously for full-time positions as a Unit Secretary, Patient Registrar, etc., while simultaneously applying for part-time jobs. I want both a full-time job during the day and a part-time job in the evening (I live alone), but the daytime full-time jobs have not happened yet, so I have been tempted to apply for daytime part-time positions, which I will leave if full-time employment comes along. Hope this explains it better.

Oh, I See - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
That explains it better, thanks. That's a tough one. Best of luck to you. I do think it's perfectly reasonable to do what you gotta do to survive. If you get a job interview, you can kind of bring it up without making it sound like you'll be out in a flash.

You should'nt feel guilty, you are just playing it safe - so you can survive until..

[ In Reply To ..]
that full time job comes along. that's called being smart & no reason to feel guilty about that, you gotta live.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their point of view. - Really helps. nm OP

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Full-time/part-time - Anon2

[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, applying for things does not mean you will get the job. Managers do understand when people leave to take full time gigs or jobs with benefits, etc. However, if you know you are not going to stay, why waste their time and yours. Office cleaning? The policy where I work is that new hires have to stay 6 months before moving on to another internal position. We've got one right now who has only been with us a couple of weeks who is already getting itchy feet, and it will be back to the drawing board. I don't know if you realize that it is an expense to employers to advertise, recruit, sort through probably hundreds of resumes and then go through the interview process, hire someone like you who has no intention of staying, then go through the whole thing again. Not only that, but job hopping looks bad on a resume. If I were hiring for a clerical position and saw that you'd been an MT who chose to clean offices, I'm not sure what I would think. I know you need to pay the bills, but maybe you could be a little more selective instead of pursuing anything and everything. No need to feel guilty, but it's hard on employers to replace you every time you decide to move on.

Similar Messages:

I Still Work At MQ Part-time And Applying With Other Companies. Sm
Aug 22, 2011

What do you put on the application when they ask why you wish to leave, or the reason you left your last job?  I only had this question on one application.  Like I said, I still work part-time at MQ and my real reason is that my job will probably go to India like so many others have.  Would you actually put that reason or what reason would you give them? ...

Worn Out Looking For Part-time Jobs
Jun 07, 2010

I've been looking for a part-time at-home medical transcriptionist job and there seem to be hardly any part-time at-home jobs, they all seem to require acute care hospital experience that I don't have, and have required very odd hours.  I do have 13 years of clinic experience.  I feel like giving up on medical transcription and doing something else.  I also have secretarial/office experience and I am looking part-time for that also, but it's been very difficult.&nbs ...

Part Time Jobs With Health Insurance?
Aug 29, 2010

Does anyone know of companies who give health ins to part timers? I know Walmart does after 1 year on the job. I'm desperate, can't afford the Cobra premium. Thanks. ...

TRANSCEND WORK LOAD - Applying For Part-time Work
Apr 13, 2011

Thinking of applying for part-time work.  Just wondering if the workload has improved since the prior posts below.  ...

What's The Hour And Line Count Differences Between Part Time And Flex Part Time?
Jan 12, 2012

I'm currently flex part time only working 18 hours a week but I do have a set schedule.  What are the requirments for part-time and how may hours per week do you have to work.  Also, is there a difference between the line counts for part time and flex part time. Thanks. ...

After Applying For Jobs....
Oct 20, 2009

How long should I wait after applying for a job before following up? And what's the best way to followup? Also, I'd like to ask what caused them to overlook my resume if that's the case. BUT would that just make me even more of a pest and make them Black-ball me?! I HATE WAITING!!! Can you tell? :) ...

Done Applying For MT Jobs
Apr 10, 2012

I need to write this for my own sake. I can no longer apply or test for these company positions. I am being rejected in one way or another by all of them. I have done this for going on 30 years. I can't take it anymore. It is so very very painful to deal with this. I think in my heart I have given up finding any MT position or any job at this point in my life. All I do is get angry, cry, throw things. Very very depressed and I get from friends is either God has something special for ...

To People Applying/looking For Jobs
Jun 20, 2011

I applied for one of the jobs listed on here and another site.  I got a call saying they would call last Friday.  When that didn't happen, I got an email saying they would call today in a certain time frame.  That still has not happened.  I know patience is a virtue and that they are dealing with multiple resumes, but I had an email from a recruiter in the specialty area that I was looking at, so I was hoping the number of resumes had dropped some (not just a general rec ...

Applying For Out Of State Jobs
Mar 01, 2013

I'm sure that this question has been asked and answered before, but wanted to bring it up again.  Have any of you ever applied for an MT position for a clinic or hospital that was out of state and asked if you could work from home for the clinic/hospital, and you were hired by the clinic/hospital?  I see so many ads for MTs, but none are in my state and more than most times, they don't list whether telecommuting is an option (perhaps it is assumed in that regard that the posi ...

Question About Applying For Hospital Jobs
Jan 17, 2013

I was wondering about something and maybe somebody has an answer. If I go to the hospital's website and apply for a listed opening and do not get called for an interview, what happens if I want to apply again for a different job? Do they keep my resume on file? Would they call me if a position opens up? I haven't been job hunting in a long time and this is how it used to work. I would certainly change my resume and cover letter to apply for the different position, to highlight wha ...

Just Another Familiar Vent About Applying For Jobs, Testing, Etc.
Sep 22, 2010

I am thankful to be working for a company who provides plenty of work, easy platform, great QA, greats supervisors, etc., but the pay lacks, so I have been looking off and on for something a little better, again, pay-wise.  I received an email today from a company, who has had great reviews on this board, about testing for them.   So, I open the attachment and there are 14 pages in the written portion of the test, once that is completed and if I pass that, I then have to take the ...

Trying To Find Part-time Or Full-time Employee Position (hospital/clinic)
Apr 30, 2013

If anyone knows of a hospital, clinic, or large practice offering remote full-time or part-time employee positions, I would really appreciate an email.  I have the sudden need to help support a family member long term (in addition to myself) and really need to find a long-term remote employee position for the stability.  Yes, I watch all the various employment sites and even individual hospital sites, but I was hoping that maybe, just maybe someone who works for a hospital that does th ...

How Many Lines Is Considered Full Time And Part Time At Your MTSO?
May 06, 2010

I am wondering what the average for part time and full time status is either if it is done by line count or hours. Thanks so much! ...

FULL-TIME DOWNGRADE TO PART-TIME STATUS - Question
Dec 08, 2011

Has anyone working for an MTSO been downgraded from full-time status to part-time status based on not enough hours worked to be considered full time, yet making well above the minimum amount of earnings required for full-time status? ...

I Feel Pathetic!!! I Apply For Jobs Excitedly And Then I Sit Here (sm)
Aug 12, 2010

constantly checking my email, refreshing the browser, going through it to make sure that one has not come in "under the radar," hoping and praying for some kind of response from whatever company I have applied to.  How pathetic is that!!!!  Just a kind thank you very much but position has been filled or even an automated reply saying we received your email would help so much.  With 22 years experience I keep hoping and praying that someone will hire me, pay me above minimum wage a ...

Does Precyse Hire Any Part-time Or Only Full-time?
Nov 03, 2010

nm ...

MQ Rehire Policy For Part Time To Full Time
Apr 09, 2011

I worked for MQ full time and then went to part time last year, before finally quitting altogether because of health problems. I seem to remember an obscure policy that if you were full time and then went to part time, you could not go back to full time for a period of at least 1 year.  Can anyone verify that for me? IF, and this is a big IF, I were to go back to work for MQ, I would need to be full time. ...

Part-time Versus Full-time Benefits
Jan 10, 2013

I'm curious as to the difference between the benefits for part-time versus full-time employment.  Are they the same?   ...

Optiscript Part Time To Full Time
Nov 19, 2011

Does anyone care to share that if you are hired at optiscript part time will they let you change to full time easily? I know they are a small company and do not over hire so I do not know how easily this could be done.  I am thinking of cutting down to part time at my current employee so I can work part time elsewhere and eventually just leave my current employee once I see how the land lays elsewhere.  Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated :) ...

Full-time/Part-time Hours?
Feb 13, 2012

Since part-time is generally considered 20-25 hrs. per week, does that mean that full-time is anything over 25 hrs. per week or does it have to be a flat 40 hrs? ...

Anyone Gone From Full-time To Part-time With This Company?
Mar 21, 2012

I am strongly considering going to part-time, just hoping to get opinions from anyone who has gone from full-time to part-time or opinions from anyone who has just always been part-time.  Thanks! ...

Nuance: From Full-time To Part-time
Apr 26, 2012

Would anyone be willing to post info on this? I am considering switching to part-time. Wondering how amenable the company is to such requests. If you have done this, were you able to keep same schedule or were you forced into a different schedule? Thanks for any thoughts! ...

Questions Re Going From Full Time To Part Time. Sm
Aug 08, 2012

Has anyone been allowed to go from full-time to part-time employment with Nuance?  Were you able to keep the same basic schedule?  I won't be ready to do this until early next year, so not asking HR at this point. Thanks for any responses! ...

Nuance - Part Time To Full Time?
Aug 08, 2012

I see the post about going from full to part time, but what about the opposite?  For example, if I get hired at 30 hours per week and I have extra time available for a few weeks, can I consistently work more hours than those scheduled 30 hours?  Thanks for any insight you can give. ...

Change From Full- Time To Part- Time.
Sep 10, 2012

I am still debating whether to enroll at Andrews or M-TEC.  My husband is retiring in 2 years and I want to be able to work part-time after that.  Is it realistic to think that I can complete the course at Andrews or M-TEC in 12 months at the most, work full time for a year and then part-time after that.  I would want to be able to work from home.  I guess the other question is "How long after graduating could I expect to earn enough to make it worth the investment, in a reas ...

Is It Easy To Go From Full Time To Part Time At MM?
Feb 18, 2013

I hired on at full time but want to drop 2 hours off a day.  Do they make you change shift or accounts in that case? I don't want benefits so don't care about that.  I worked at Nuance and any change in schedule ultimately ended up in an account and/or shift change.   TIA ...

From Full Time To Part Time With MModal?
Mar 04, 2013

from full time to part time w MM?  I am so burned out trying to work full time hours, I honestly think I would get the same pittance of a check working part time.  Thanks.   ...

Has Anyone Moved From Part-time To Full-time With The
Apr 26, 2013

same company? If so, was it a good decision? I'm thinking of doing that. Thanks. ...

?? Full Time At IMedx/part Time
Jun 18, 2015

Just asking if anyone knows what is considered full time for Imedx and what is considered part time?  ...

99% Of The Time, I Feel Like I Am Being Ripped Off When I Do MM's SR.
Oct 27, 2012

Too many corrections!!! ...