A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Applying for Out Of State Jobs - MTLookin

Posted: Mar 01, 2013

I'm sure that this question has been asked and answered before, but wanted to bring it up again.  Have any of you ever applied for an MT position for a clinic or hospital that was out of state and asked if you could work from home for the clinic/hospital, and you were hired by the clinic/hospital?  I see so many ads for MTs, but none are in my state and more than most times, they don't list whether telecommuting is an option (perhaps it is assumed in that regard that the position is for local candidates only), so I figure why not try my luck, apply and ask if they are willing to let me work from home.  Thoughts?

OOS jobs & telecommuting - Also looking

[ In Reply To ..]
I too have been looking for a remote job, and I have found that if they are offering remote opportunities they WILL put it in the posting. There are some out there, but mostly for 2nd and 3rd shift and really hard to get. Good luck!

The hospital where I worked allowed... - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
....a few employees to work remotely, even though they lived in another town, but they were still close enough to drive to the hospital for our monthly department meetings and if they had to bring their equipment in to our IT guy for updates, equipment failure, or what have you.

It seems like once upon a time, we had an MT who lived in another state; but she had moved there after working locally for us for a few years, so they already knew her. It was the one exception, at least where I worked. Oh, and she was a Radiology MT, which they always had trouble finding around here.

It's worth a try, but you might keep in mind that if most of their MTs live in the area (even if they work from home), you might be required to be there in person for certain things....so just consider that in how far away you'd apply.

maybe usually but - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
My new-found job (found on their hospital site) did not state it was a remote position and did not state that full-time meant 32 hours, both pleasant surprises to me.

Applying for Out of State Jobs - kittendonna

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been thinking about the same thing. In fact, I have made a few applications to other Provinces in Canada. What's to lose. If they don't find a suitable candidate locally, they may accept you. Good luck.

I agree...sm - MTLookin

[ In Reply To ..]
What do I have to lose if I submit my resume and see if they will bite? I have all my own equipment and reference materials, so the clinic or hospital wouldn't have to come out of pocket to provide those things for me. I'll come back with an update!

I know, I see some really good jobs - all in other states

[ In Reply To ..]
sometimes I even wonder if it would be worth moving, but of course my family and my house are here. You hear about people living in those extended stay motels but you'd have to make an awful lot to make that worthwhile.

Similar Messages:

Applying For Out-Of-State Positions To Work From Home
May 21, 2014

Not sure if this has been discussed here before, but wanted to throw this question out there. Has anyone been successful with applying for an out-of-state position that does not clearly state NO TELECOMMUTING/WORK FROM HOME, asked if you could work from home for that employer, and they accommodated you?  ...

After Applying For Jobs....
Oct 20, 2009

How long should I wait after applying for a job before following up? And what's the best way to followup? Also, I'd like to ask what caused them to overlook my resume if that's the case. BUT would that just make me even more of a pest and make them Black-ball me?! I HATE WAITING!!! Can you tell? :) ...

Done Applying For MT Jobs
Apr 10, 2012

I need to write this for my own sake. I can no longer apply or test for these company positions. I am being rejected in one way or another by all of them. I have done this for going on 30 years. I can't take it anymore. It is so very very painful to deal with this. I think in my heart I have given up finding any MT position or any job at this point in my life. All I do is get angry, cry, throw things. Very very depressed and I get from friends is either God has something special for ...

To People Applying/looking For Jobs
Jun 20, 2011

I applied for one of the jobs listed on here and another site.  I got a call saying they would call last Friday.  When that didn't happen, I got an email saying they would call today in a certain time frame.  That still has not happened.  I know patience is a virtue and that they are dealing with multiple resumes, but I had an email from a recruiter in the specialty area that I was looking at, so I was hoping the number of resumes had dropped some (not just a general rec ...

I Just Received A Notice From Our State Regarding Jobs Available Because I Filed For Unemployment An
Sep 02, 2013

Question About Applying For Hospital Jobs
Jan 17, 2013

I was wondering about something and maybe somebody has an answer. If I go to the hospital's website and apply for a listed opening and do not get called for an interview, what happens if I want to apply again for a different job? Do they keep my resume on file? Would they call me if a position opens up? I haven't been job hunting in a long time and this is how it used to work. I would certainly change my resume and cover letter to apply for the different position, to highlight wha ...

Just Another Familiar Vent About Applying For Jobs, Testing, Etc.
Sep 22, 2010

I am thankful to be working for a company who provides plenty of work, easy platform, great QA, greats supervisors, etc., but the pay lacks, so I have been looking off and on for something a little better, again, pay-wise.  I received an email today from a company, who has had great reviews on this board, about testing for them.   So, I open the attachment and there are 14 pages in the written portion of the test, once that is completed and if I pass that, I then have to take the ...

Feel Guilty When Applying For Part-time Jobs
Dec 10, 2013

I'll leave them as soon as a full-time position opens up.  I'm trying to exit the MT field, so I am applying and sending resumes for Unit Secretary positions, Patient Registrar positions, Specimen Processor positions, etc.  Right now, it looks like I will be simultaneously applying for a part-time position as well as a full-time position.  There's a daytime office cleaning position I am thinking about applying for tomorrow morning, and there is a full-time family pr ...

If You Are Working For A Company In Another State, Do They Follow Their State Rules Or Your States?
May 12, 2010

x ...

Do I Bother Applying For "no Newbies" Jobs?
Nov 08, 2009

I've just finished MT school and am starting to apply for jobs while I wait for my final grade.  There is nothing in town, I live in a small town and the hospital fired all their MTs, so I need to work from home. But every ad I see says no newbies AND many say school doesn't count for experience. Of course, my school promised that most places did count our training as 2 years' experience, but I have this sinking suspicion they lied. Do I go ahead and apply for these jobs, or ...

S/l "palasiffy" State Or "palesippy" State
Feb 05, 2010

patient is depressed and stressed over being a college student in a "palesippy" state??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!! Abby ...

Just Another Vent About Jobs, No Jobs, Requirement Of Jobs, Etc.
Aug 18, 2010

It is insulting to all of us with the way that MT pay has gone down the drain, it is frustrating and aggravating to look for a "decent" job these days, trying to work out which companies will treat you fairly, which ones lie about their platforms, work, etc., and not only do these companies not want to pay us what we are worth but now I see that MANY companies are requiring the MT to have or "be willing" to purchase hundreds of dollars worth of equipment.  If an employer can PROMISE IN ...

Pay Per State
Apr 28, 2010

I wonder if the cpl is equal throughout all states.  If someone living in NY or CA  gets 10 cpl, that same 10 cpl in Arkansas would be worth twice as much. ...

Medical Jobs Online Posting On Jobs Board
Dec 09, 2013

Kind of wondering if this last job posting on the jobs board might be associated with one of those "you pay us to find you a job" type of organization.  I googled Medical Jobs Online and found nothing stating that are a legitimate MTSO :( ...

State Of The Malunion
Apr 15, 2010

I Googled "medical transcription quality India" and received 671,000 results to choose from.  Indian companies are courting hospitals, doctors, and law firms in America and several other countries in order to get their business. American MTSOs that don't outsource really need to publicize it and American based transcriptionists would do well to show their solidarity by working for such companies.  It is not just MQ.  The industry is apparently wounded in t ...

Moving To Another State
May 06, 2011

I'm thinking about moving to another state which is pretty far from where I am now.  Does anyone know if I could keep my current accounts, or will MQ require I switch to a local hospital account in the area I'll be moving to?  ...

Sad, Sad State Of Affairs
Dec 02, 2011

All the threads about fighting to get paid minimum wage (you go, girls!) make me incredibly sad.  So I started reminiscing about my early days in the profession.... In the good ole days, we were paid a fair, decent rate. In the good ole days, we got to interact with the docs we transcribed for.  If you had a blank, he would tell you what it was! In the good ole days, we got an extra paycheck and a generous gift for Christmas.  (One year I got a small cooler filled with seafood ...

Registering As An IC With Your State
Mar 23, 2012

I found out that the goverment is putting a stop to treating ICs as employees and ICs are not getting employee benefits.  I was told today that the new laws require and IC to register under a trade name in their State. There is no license involved. I tried to get info on line on how to do it but no luck. The offices are closed now so I will have to wait until Monday.  As anyone else done this.  ...

You Know, The State Next To Louisiana
Dec 19, 2012

I think this has got to be my new handle. ...

Post??? State
Feb 07, 2013

After obtaining informed consent and in the ( s/l post??? state), the patient was brought to the tilt table study room Any suggestions what this can be? ...

MTs In The State Of Tennessee
Sep 23, 2013

I was just laid off last Thursday.  For MTs that live in the State of Tennessee and have recently gotten laid off, how hard did you find it to filling out that log sheet to prove that you are looking for a job while drawing UE benefits.  I noted that one has to log in that log sheet  3  different companies that they are actually looking for work weekly.   There are only so many online MT jobs that one could contact.  I noted they mention job fairs, private employmen ...

MUP/state Min Wage Etc.
Feb 12, 2015

This may be a stupid question, but is the minimum for lines expected changed in a state where the minimum wage is higher? I was fired in June for not reaching the min daily line count and went below 99% on 2 of the 3 weeks I was on probation. Illinois has an $8.25 min wage. I was at 98.25% for 2 out of the 3 weeks. (I know that has nothing to do with my question...) I want to remind everybody AGAIN, if you are threatened in any way about losing your job, FIND A WAY TO COPY THE EMAILS! I ...

Question For Washington State ICs
Nov 18, 2009

I've heard that in Washington State you have to pay a tax called "business and occupation taxes".  Is this true?  If so what does it cost?   Looking at moving to Washington State and trying to figure out all the taxes beforehand (if there would be a benefit business wise to move out of Oregon).  Here in OR I pay a business tax of $50/year.  Just wondering what all the taxes in Washington would be. If anyone is not sure, can you direct me to where I might find this o ...

Does Your Company Withhold State Tax?
Feb 12, 2010

I have been in the interview process with a national and was informed state tax would not be withheld.  In that case, they would also not be paying into unemployment in my state.  I am trying to protect myself in the event I need unemployment for lack of work or lay offs in the future and this was a real let down to me regarding this company.  Is this how most nationals work? ...

No State Taxes Withheld
Aug 04, 2011

I have an interview with a hospital that will not take out state taxes, but does take out federal taxes.  The hospital is in a state where no state taxes are required, but I live in a state where I have to pay.  How does this process work and what would this entail for me if I get an offer on this job?  It provides health insurance, medical, dental, and vision, but no state taxes.  Will that affect social security?  Anyone know the process and percentage to withhold, how ...

Payroll State Tax Question
Dec 05, 2011

If you work at home and live in a state that has no state tax but work for a company located in a state that has state income tax, do they take state tax out of your pay for the state that the company is located in or do you pay no state tax due to the state you live in?  I just started a new company this week and was curious. ...

What Would Help With Companies Advertizing Would State Sm
Mar 15, 2012

what speciality they are looking for.  On certain boards it says any specialty but then when you read on it says something like 3 years of acute care.  Others do not say what they are looking for.  I don't want to waste my time sending a resume and they are not looking for what I can offer.  ...

DQS-7 System Requirements State 4 GB RAM For
Jul 30, 2012

Windows 7-64 bit.  My Windows 7-64 bit computer only has 2 GB of RAM.  Is anybody else using a Windows 7-64 bit computer with less than 4 GB of RAM?  ...

Hm, Applied To The State For A Transcriptionist Job
Sep 16, 2012

State is cali, and they're broke but the position is temporary (2 years) and with full benefits. The person who called me said he will be doing his best to push my application forward in the least amount of time but may take up to 3-4 months to actually get the job. Pay is in the low 30,000 range but better than I'm making now plus steady work that will give me a year or two to be able to pay my bills while exploring other career options/schooling once this dries up. I'm cautious ...

Stench-Tel; Something Is Rotten In The State Of MA
Jan 17, 2013

Makes you want to puke on your shoes. ...