A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

do I bother applying for "no newbies" jobs? - ssmt

Posted: Nov 08, 2009

I've just finished MT school and am starting to apply for jobs while I wait for my final grade.  There is nothing in town, I live in a small town and the hospital fired all their MTs, so I need to work from home. But every ad I see says no newbies AND many say school doesn't count for experience. Of course, my school promised that most places did count our training as 2 years' experience, but I have this sinking suspicion they lied.

Do I go ahead and apply for these jobs, or will I just be irritating companies by even trying? I know others here have been through this so I was hoping for some advice.

School doesn't count as experience. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I hate when these underhanded schools lie to students. It may take a while, but eventually hopefully you can find a local doctor or a company who hires newbies. It's a rough job market out there right now. Good luck to you.

that's what I thought - ssmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I was pretty sure the school had been lying about a lot of things. Now I wonder if the people on the school forums have been lying too. There are a couple dozen who insist that companies waived the 2 years experience for them since they graduated from this school, and there are always people who report back that they got jobs within days of graduating. But what I'm seeing out here is the exact opposite of that!

There are no local jobs.

no experience - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
Superior Global hires newbies with no experience. You might try them. Of course, their pay is VERY low and they want second and third shift.

2nd and 3rd shift - ssmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the heads up! I actually want 2nd and 3rd shifts (they're the shifts my husband usually works and I have no kids) so I'm hoping that will work for me.

New MTs - TiredMT

[ In Reply To ..]
My rule of thumb is if the ad says experience "preferred," apply. If you come across a company that you are interested in and they do not hire newbies but you are interested in working with them, contact the recruiter and let them know you are interested in the company and would like them to keep you in mind in case they decide to hire new MTs. A lot of recruiters try to keep a database that they can occasionally refer to for MTs if they are in a pinch and who knows, they may call you.

I would. Sell yourself in a cover letter. - Horski

[ In Reply To ..]
I recently interviewed people for a position at our hospital. An experienced MT does not mean the better MT always. Some just never get it. I do a short typing test and the one that did best had just finished school. We ended up having to put the job on hold from upper management and cutbacks, but the one who would have gotten it did not have experience even though we advertised it as we wanted experience.

everyone's advice has been great - ssmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Again, thanks to all of you. I feel more optimistic about things today than I did yesterday.

Don't apply for no newbies jobs - Anna

[ In Reply To ..]
Instead ask your school to make good on their statement that most places count your training as experience. I have been a MTSO for nearly 40 years and I have never once heard of my shop or any other considering training part of experience. Someone is p**ing on your leg and telling you it's raining.

Did you learn about double negatives in HS? - Answers

[ In Reply To ..]
S

Similar Messages:

Is The Workflow Any Better At Synernet ? Should I Bother Applying ?
Nov 25, 2013

x ...

Don't Bother Applying To Superior Global Solutions
May 20, 2014

I just received a call from the CEO stating that they were "making tough decisions" and I was to finish what I was doing and then I was laid off.  They immediately cut off my access to email, the SGS site with the timesheet and Spark. ...

Can Newbies Get Remote Coding Jobs?
Sep 20, 2011

I am an MT and am currently taking a coding/billing course and plan to take the CPC exam after completion.  Does anyone know of any companies who hire newbies to work at home as coders? Any sites like MTstars that post coder jobs? I prefer to stay at home, but everything I'm seeing requires experience.  Thanks for any help.  ...

Can Newbies Get MT Jobs That Offer Full Benefits?
Oct 19, 2009

Is it possible to find a decent job as a new grad that will give you full benefits like dental, medical, 401 K, or am I just dreaming here. I know being an IC it's not going to happen but what about newbies getting positions as fulltime employees. Does it really happen? ...

Anyone Work For TNI? They Say They GUARANTEE Newbies Jobs Depending On What
Nov 11, 2010

Has anyone who has gone to school at Med Workshops or M-Tec interned at TNI - Transcription Network, LLC, out of Everett, Washington?  I found this statement on their website interesting: *  For a limited time, we're offering Guaranteed Job Placement with our company if you train and graduate from Med Workshops or M-Tec School.   Go to Med Workshops or M-Tec School to read about Medical Transcription Training ...

After Applying For Jobs....
Oct 20, 2009

How long should I wait after applying for a job before following up? And what's the best way to followup? Also, I'd like to ask what caused them to overlook my resume if that's the case. BUT would that just make me even more of a pest and make them Black-ball me?! I HATE WAITING!!! Can you tell? :) ...

Done Applying For MT Jobs
Apr 10, 2012

I need to write this for my own sake. I can no longer apply or test for these company positions. I am being rejected in one way or another by all of them. I have done this for going on 30 years. I can't take it anymore. It is so very very painful to deal with this. I think in my heart I have given up finding any MT position or any job at this point in my life. All I do is get angry, cry, throw things. Very very depressed and I get from friends is either God has something special for ...

To People Applying/looking For Jobs
Jun 20, 2011

I applied for one of the jobs listed on here and another site.  I got a call saying they would call last Friday.  When that didn't happen, I got an email saying they would call today in a certain time frame.  That still has not happened.  I know patience is a virtue and that they are dealing with multiple resumes, but I had an email from a recruiter in the specialty area that I was looking at, so I was hoping the number of resumes had dropped some (not just a general rec ...

Applying For Out Of State Jobs
Mar 01, 2013

I'm sure that this question has been asked and answered before, but wanted to bring it up again.  Have any of you ever applied for an MT position for a clinic or hospital that was out of state and asked if you could work from home for the clinic/hospital, and you were hired by the clinic/hospital?  I see so many ads for MTs, but none are in my state and more than most times, they don't list whether telecommuting is an option (perhaps it is assumed in that regard that the posi ...

Question About Applying For Hospital Jobs
Jan 17, 2013

I was wondering about something and maybe somebody has an answer. If I go to the hospital's website and apply for a listed opening and do not get called for an interview, what happens if I want to apply again for a different job? Do they keep my resume on file? Would they call me if a position opens up? I haven't been job hunting in a long time and this is how it used to work. I would certainly change my resume and cover letter to apply for the different position, to highlight wha ...

Just Another Familiar Vent About Applying For Jobs, Testing, Etc.
Sep 22, 2010

I am thankful to be working for a company who provides plenty of work, easy platform, great QA, greats supervisors, etc., but the pay lacks, so I have been looking off and on for something a little better, again, pay-wise.  I received an email today from a company, who has had great reviews on this board, about testing for them.   So, I open the attachment and there are 14 pages in the written portion of the test, once that is completed and if I pass that, I then have to take the ...

Feel Guilty When Applying For Part-time Jobs
Dec 10, 2013

I'll leave them as soon as a full-time position opens up.  I'm trying to exit the MT field, so I am applying and sending resumes for Unit Secretary positions, Patient Registrar positions, Specimen Processor positions, etc.  Right now, it looks like I will be simultaneously applying for a part-time position as well as a full-time position.  There's a daytime office cleaning position I am thinking about applying for tomorrow morning, and there is a full-time family pr ...

Do You Even Bother.....
Jun 12, 2012

giving a 2-week notice? I am so sick of sitting and waiting for work that doesn't come. I have begged and begged for more work (and there are several late/heavy accounts just sitting there) and still get NOTHING. Would you even bother giving 2 weeks' notice or would you just quit signing in? ...

Why Did They Bother
Jul 23, 2013

Seriously.  What did they lay off like 12 people? What good did that do, really?  It didn't do any good and hurt the ones laid off. ...

Does It Bother Anyone Else....
Dec 09, 2013

that our supervisors never question how someone with 10-15 plus years experience could leave such nonsensical and totally stupid words and phrases in our dictation?  Of course, this is being dinged by offshore.  And, I swear I remember changing or deleting a lot of these, but there they are back again after sending.   ...

Don't Bother
Feb 23, 2014

with that german transcriptionist job on the board. I tried to bluff my way through the test and did not fool them. Next, I will give the french test a shot.   ...

Don't Bother With MedGarde!!!
Jan 26, 2011

In December I was contacted by MedGarde's recruiter to set up a telephone interview.  This was after I had submitted my resume and tested for them.  The interview was 45 minutes and consisted of multiple questions regarding my education, experience, etc.  Then there was a verbal test on computer knowledge.  Then there was a verbal test on medical terminology knowledge.  Afterwards, she thanked me and told me she would be in contact with me by early next week.  ...

Should I Bother Telling My TSM About This...
May 08, 2015

In FIESA I was corrected for, but didn't lose points for,  leaving out the word "of" after the word "off," as I learned in transcription school that it is not correct to say "off of," you just need to say "off." Should I tell my TSM to mention this to the QA person or does no one care since I didn't lose any points? I have also seen blanks in reports that this QA person added to my reports for words that I know I typed correctly because I am very familiar with my accounts and have ...

Why Bother Sending An Email
Sep 03, 2012

I just wonder, as an MT we are REQUIRED to respond IMMEDIATELY to an email that they say "respond immediately" to.  But if in that email it states any questions, please let us know and you email them back with questions and now 2 weeks later, you still have not received an answer back.  Why is it that we are required to immediately respond and have emailed the same question now a few times and yet no answer from their side.  I wonder how this makes their side of the company run so ...

Why Bother With Exit Interviews
Dec 06, 2013

when all they have to do is read this board to find out why MTs are leaving?  Not that I expect any logical actions from them but since they are paying an outside company to do the interviews, this is an added expense.   ...

It Wouldn't Bother Me To Get Accounts From All
Oct 28, 2014

They would just make the formats for all work types the SAME across the board.  It's NOT the changing of dictators/facilities that is so difficult...it's the having to check 1 thousand different sets of account rules!!!  UGH! ...

Should I Even Bother Giving 2 Weeks Notice?
Sep 05, 2014

Really getting fed up....virtually NO work since Labor Day....looking elsewhere and don't want to burn any bridges, but what's the point of giving M*Modal 2 weeks notice if there's no work to type and I could actually be making money at a new job in that 2 weeks' time?! ...

Transtech Doesn't Bother To Contact You If You Fail Their Test?
May 14, 2013

Is Transtech one of those companies that doesn't bother to contact you if you fail their test? Or do they eventually let you know one way or the other?  It has been a couple of weeks since I have tested and haven't heard a peep. ...

No $ For Newbies
Dec 06, 2011

How long is one considered a newbie?  I'm currently working as an IC for .055 ppl and have been for about 6 months.... I really need to work for a better paying company.... is it normal to have such a low-paying job for the first year? ...

How Many Newbies Are Here?
Jan 12, 2015

There seem to be a lot of posts from newbies recently.  I just started last week.  How many others are here who have just started in the past week or two?  I wish there was a way we could connect.  Wouldn’t it be great to get to know the others on our team/account? ...

MT Work For Newbies
Jan 18, 2010

I saw these companies that were hiring with no experience. I don't know about the pay or anything else about these companies. http://www.etransplus.com/careers/ http://kmmedicalt.com/careers.html ...

To All The Newbies And I Guess All MQ MT's.
Jan 23, 2010

I have been with MQ, well. . . , FOREVER unfortunately.  I found out about the board when I was googling something about Medquist about 2-1/2 years ago.  How did you all find out about this board! ...

Isn't It Interesting That Newbies Are Getting
Jul 01, 2010

us oldies are getting below 98%, in some cases waaayy below, after years or decades of exemplary work, with raises, etc. How much more obvious can it get that they're downsizing the highest paid (and most experienced) MT/ME, to hire the newbies and get the tax breaks. Makes me SICK, so I resigned a couple weeks ago and feel absolutely in shock that I did it, finally, and trust in God for a better job. ...

Investing In Newbies
Aug 16, 2010

(Creaky voice) Baaaack when I was starting out... I had neither experience nor education, except my own attempts at self-training by reading "Taber's Medical Encyclopedia," and typing practice from "Norton's Anthology of Poetry." After 3 weeks of mailing resumes to local offices, I had decided to give up on finding an MT job. It looked like no experience, no hire. Then I took part in a transcription "casting call" at a large FP clinic. I tested horribly for speed (12 wpm), got stuck fo ...

For The Newbies Who Come Here And Get Scared
Nov 10, 2010

I want the newbies who come here and read the complaints and get scared about "what have I gotten myself into" to realize that not everyone is unhappy at MedQuist.  Keep in mind that they have literally thousands of employees and only a handful come here to vent their unhappiness (which is fine, I understand, not everyone is going to be in an ideal situation).  I think it very much depends on your circumstances as to how life will be at MQ.  I was a new grad hire and once I ...