A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Just another vent about jobs, no jobs, requirement of jobs, etc. - anon

Posted: Aug 18, 2010

It is insulting to all of us with the way that MT pay has gone down the drain, it is frustrating and aggravating to look for a "decent" job these days, trying to work out which companies will treat you fairly, which ones lie about their platforms, work, etc., and not only do these companies not want to pay us what we are worth but now I see that MANY companies are requiring the MT to have or "be willing" to purchase hundreds of dollars worth of equipment.  If an employer can PROMISE IN WRITING that I will have a certain amount of work on a daily basis and if they are willing to pay me a decent wage then I have no problem at all purchasing equipment.  However, I have had two jobs over the last two years where I purchased $243 worth of equipment and now it sits useless on my computer because the work dried up ... not my fault ... theirs, plain and simple.  One company hired me and did not tell me that they were in the process of bidding for the purchase of a smaller MTSO which only had TWO accounts on it and that we were covering for this smaller MTSO for a short period of time.  Needless to say they lost the bid, did not get the account that I had purchased the program for and no other accounts use it.  When I asked about being reimbursed for this, they told me that they were on the "look out" for other accounts that use this program.  Again, that has been TWO years ago!!

This has become such an extremely frustrating field to work in but I truly love the job itself.  I just wish that I could find some place that I could call "home" until I am ready to retired (in 10 years I hope). 

Vent over, thanks for listening.  :)

what a shame - wise1

[ In Reply To ..]
We are so so at the mercy of the companies...they can lie through their teeth and we have no way of knowing what is try... is very hard to trust anyone anymore!!!

The way things are going - Old and Tired MT

[ In Reply To ..]
We will soon have to pay THEM just for the privilege of working for them!

How, pray tell, can the MTSO guarantee how - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
much work a hospital is going to produce so you can have work? Are the MTSOs supposed to strongarm the hospital and tell them to MAKE the docs dictate or they won't do their work any longer? Please get a clue...if the docs aren't dictating there is no work, simple enough to understand I would think. Flex your schedule to a time when there is work or don't complain.

Wow, what a bitter person you are and shows just how clueless you are. How about - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
if the MTSOs do not OVERHIRE for accounts, do not LIE about having accounts that they have not received yet. There are ways that the MTSOs can guarantee work being there and most of it is just common sense. However, most of them have promised such short TAT in order to win bids that they feel that they have to overhire, leaving many of us sitting here without work. If a company wants an MT to work from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. then that MT should not have to "flex their schedule," because the MTSO has overhired, has 20 MTs on an account that 5 MTs could handle and keep within TAT.

Now, you get the clue please!

Clueless, not much - mt2long

[ In Reply To ..]
First, I'm sorry you're having difficulty finding work. My own experience does not reflect yours in that I've been able to land and find work whenever I need it. There may be a day here and there when things are lighter but I still work.

Second, NEVER, EVER, EVER put out money in order to work. I've been seeing the ads saying "must have" blah blah blah- and my thoughts are - hope they find someone who has it because there's NO WAY I'm spending a dime to get a job.

And you blame MTSOs for overhiring, agreeing to short TAT, etc. Do you honestly feel they are not held to the mercy of the whims of the clients? Just like on our end of things, if we don't agree to xx terms then SuzyQ down the road will be happy to. This is happening for MTSOs as well. Do you think an MTSO likes losing money because TAT is not met? Or being threatened with the acct going elsewhere on a daily basis? Most major hospitals now contract with SEVERAL MTSOs and they can switch at the drop of a hat to providing little to no work to one and more to another.

I'm really sorry you're struggling and I hope you're able to find a solution soon, but honestly, the MTSOs are not in a "great" position with all the changes coming either.

Let's see....MTSOs hire say 20 people to work - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
on any given account. Two MTs show up late, 3 are on time, 4 have to "flex" because they "forgot" they had appointments, 5 more take breaks that last half the day, another 6 are on time and working. I applaud the dedicated workers who show up, do their job and don't complain. Sorry if your tummy hurts, you still need to work...if the slackers worked in-house many of these so called "professional" MTs would be booted out on their A$$ so fast their heads would swim. Just because you work from home doesn't mean you make the rules.
And in my opinion that is poor management, it would not be accepted (sm) - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
inhouse and it should not be accepted at home. PERIOD, no excuses. I do my job, I work between 12-14 hours a day, I take possibly 20 minutes for lunch and yes, I do take a few breaks in between but never any longer than 10 minutes. If I have an appointment that I have to go to I make sure that I notify my TL weeks ahead of time and I schedule it at a time that I believe it is more convenient for my company than it is for me.

With that being said, the majority of the time that I am sat here I am waiting on work to drizzle in because there are 54 MTs on an account where even my TLs have admitted that 20 of us could do and keep well within TAT. As much as I hate to see anyone lose their jobs, weed out those that do not show up, who take those frequent breaks, who come up with whatever excuse they have so as not to work. I have worked through double pneumonia this year, had a cholecystectomy on Friday, back to work on Monday and a fractured wrist in a cast and still managed to work. Not all MTs are the same just like not all MTSOs are the same.

Again, I find that the issues that you have stated are due to poor management and could be handled better all the way around.

You are definitely right (SM) - WestCoastMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I see numerous emails going out from the managers on my account "reminding" MTs it is their scheduled shift, there is a large backlog, and they need to be on and working. Seriously? Adults have to be reminded that they are supposed to working their SCHEDULED SHIFT? As a couple of you had said, this would NEVER fly working in-house, so why in the world would any professional, decent MT think it is acceptable to not be at her desk at the start of his/her shift working? It stupefies me, it really does.

Conversely, when it's the end of the pay period? You couldn't beat these slackers off with a sledge hammer as they turn into pirrhanas, eating up every bit of work on the system in an effort to get their minimum line count for the pay period in.

Yep, if I were a manager, I guarantee I would be despised throughout the land. I'd start writing up employees after the first verbal warning that they were supposed to be on and working and, come write up number 3, they would be fired. There are too many dedicated, good MTs out there looking for work to put up with employees who show up for their shift only when it's to their convenience to do so.

Working from home has its perks for all of us, but behavior like that makes us all look bad until we prove ourselves otherwise.

*end rant*
Amen, WestCoast MT - btdt
[ In Reply To ..]
I used to have to manage MTs when I was a TL. The excuses they come up with to not work would curl your hair. My sister is here and we want to go to lunch and I'll be gone 2 hours, my daughter has a dance recital and I'll be gone for the afternoon, my husband wants to go camping so I can't work this weekend, yada, yada, yada. Yet they would cry when their paychecks were so small or not bother to help out when work was abundant on their account and say sorry, it's my day off I can't. Believe me, I had some MTs doing 30,000 lines a pay period and others, as you say, would try to make up 15,000 lines on the last 2 days of the pay period, taking work from those who were responsible. There is just no satisfying some people.
or "My daughter is getting married so I need the next 3 months to be very flexible - No kidding!
[ In Reply To ..]
I can understand the pressures of a daughter's wedding. As an animal lover, I can understand the pain and sorrow of losing a beloved pet, but 3 weeks off to mourn for it? I don't think that has ever been acceptable in any industry.
One of my favorite excuses for not working - And calling off at the last minute
[ In Reply To ..]
HUGE backlog due to a group of new residents, and one of the at-home MTs called off about 30 minutes before her shift started.

"I can't work tonight, I have diarrhea."

LOLWUT?????

Excuse me, you're working from HOME. I have been to your home and your BATHROOM is about 4 steps from your COMPUTER. Take a dose or two of Imodium, suck that *!*@ up, and GET TO WORK, WE NEED YOU!!!

Did I tell her that? No, but I so desperately wanted to...

Am I a hugely unreasonable b*t!@ or does anyone else feel this is a "crappy" (pun intended) reason to call off of one's shift?
inhouse - zenaida
[ In Reply To ..]
Your remark about inhouse management sparked a chord (or maybe dischord) in my brain. I don't want to make light of a serious problem, but I am wondering this. If working at the hospital means inhouse, does that mean those of here are in the outhouse?
My hope is that they will get rid of all of the poor workers - It could happen
[ In Reply To ..]
We all know at least one or maybe 60 MTs that we work with or have worked with who have really poor attitudes and/or even worse skills. If the MTSOs would get rid of those people, the MTs who care about good work and work ethics would be in a very good position.

amen - supertired

[ In Reply To ..]
amen amen. or they send it OUT to India becuase it is CHEAPER (while the US people they hired sit in their chairs with no work!)...many factors here and amounts to $$.

Not all MTSOs have horns - Just sayin

[ In Reply To ..]
Keeping it in perspective, they aren't all bad. Some MTs just have a bad habit or maybe it's just bad luck to end up with the bad ones, so they think all of them are the same. They aren't.

Suit, Suit, go away. Let the MTs have their say! - nm - Rocky Racoon

[ In Reply To ..]

You don't know that - I'm not a suit but her post made sense - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
If you don't agree with what she says that's one thing, but to call someone a suit because you don't like what they say is a bit childish.
I agree. The "suit" comment is high on the list of immature comments - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
A little maturity might pay off on the job. The more I read some of the immature comments, the more I see the reason some MTs are not doing well. There is absolutely no credibility after someone has spouted off a one-liner or called someone names like "suit" rather than having a conversation.

I agree with you. This work has always been unpredictable. - Cannot change the nature of the work.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

It is not about changing the nature of the work. I have been doing this job (sm) - Janie

[ In Reply To ..]
for 25 years and never have I seen the requirements that are put on the MTs today. You must have this, you must have that, you must be able to do this, you must be able to work your schedule that has been assigned to you, but oh wait, you must be able to flex your time and sit at your computer for 14 hours a day with only two hours of actual working. It has become ridiculous!

To the OP, there are still some really good companies out there, not many but some with really good management, great QA, supervisors and plenty of work. Do your research carefully and I agree with another poster, do not buy equipment/programs, etc., to obtain a job. I wish you the best and hope that you find a good "home" soon!

Not to mention - MTMyth
[ In Reply To ..]
that you do it all for free - gratis. Have you ever added up the minutes that you spend doing free stuff? Locating names (try finding the spelling of someone's when the person talking can't even open their mouth to speak - how many service owners have tried to do that - how many service owners have ever even listened to the junk they ask other people to try to make sense out of), looking up addresses, looking up billing numbers, looking up dates of service, making sure facilities are right, making sure you are sending the work to the correct printer, etc. And this is before you can even start to transcribe - all for FREE. You can't have it both ways. You can't get away with taking and not giving back. Put up with it, or do what you tell the whiny typists to do - get out, find something else.

I agree - that is how MT works

[ In Reply To ..]
And that is how it has always worked.
This is eye opening, with some of these attitudes it is obvious why - anon2
[ In Reply To ..]
so many MTSOs feel that they can place such demands on people. Really sad.
Let me put it this way - in my 15 years
[ In Reply To ..]
yes, MT has always been this way.

MT isn't a regular office job where someone is responsible for providing you with steady work (unless you're an employee, and then they could have you sweep floors during slow times if they wanted to; their choice).

If you are working as an IC, the MTSO has absolutely no obligation to provide you with steady work.

Are you an employee or an IC?

I am an employee. - anon2
[ In Reply To ..]
And I have a huge problem with MTSOs hiring people as employees, such as myself and not providing enough work.

Exactly - that is how MT works

[ In Reply To ..]
And, no, I'm not a suit. I'm an MT.

Don't complain??? - Susan

[ In Reply To ..]
Either you are a suit or you have no compassion. This is the realistic state of the industry.

I agree too, no one can predict the work flow - sm - ECMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have one account, doctor does mega dictation but some weeks he will only dictate maybe 6-8 patients a day when he sees 18-20 because he is burned out. I then have a light week, a horrible check because of that, and then he dumps 3-6 hours of dictation on me, which I end up having to give away most of in order to satisfy the 24-hour TAT, totally not fair. He drives me nuts doing this. Most of the time he does it over the weekend so I can usually get it done myself without having to give it away but not all the time. Totally sucks. But we cannot make him dictate on a schedule that suits me, though I wish I could. Luckily I have other accounts who dictate regularly and don't hold their dictation like he does, but he is my B&B so I would rather do him before any of the others.

They make us *promise in writing* that we will do a - minimum line count; they should do the same!

[ In Reply To ..]

I agreed to 1875 lines a day VR for FT status - get only 600 from AM to midnight. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Are you an IC or - an employee?

[ In Reply To ..]
If you're an IC, of course the MTSO can't guarantee you anything.

If you're an employee, that's different.

It's not just our field - anonymus2

[ In Reply To ..]
I live in a state where unemployment is at close to 18%. There are no jobs (and I mean no jobs). I live in a town where there is no work here so I work online, but I'm seeing unemployment everywhere. I'm thankful to have what I do because DH cannot find work. We're faced with having to make a decision about moving. There's no work for him here so have to move to get a job, but can't move unless he has a job, but they won't give him a job unless he's in the area. I think a lot of false reports are out there stating there is work when there really isn't any because everytime he calls about a job he saw they tell him there are no openings. Sorry, but it just sucks. Then the fear of me having no work is more stress than I can handle. But it's not just our jobs. My SIL worked for a company in admin/finance and after 12 years they laid her off. My other SIL was a bookkeeper. After 8 years with them they laid her off. My dad was at a job and after 18 years they laid him off.

I really feel for you and hope you can find something soon.

As for the pay, it's not insulting, its the economy. Seems like the only one's making a good living now adays are politicians.

I hope you find something soon.

Similar Messages:

Medical Jobs Online Posting On Jobs Board
Dec 09, 2013

Kind of wondering if this last job posting on the jobs board might be associated with one of those "you pay us to find you a job" type of organization.  I googled Medical Jobs Online and found nothing stating that are a legitimate MTSO :( ...

Gotta Vent - Applied For Many Jobs And...
Jun 02, 2015

Either get email or phone call asking when they can contact me, I reply, and they never do!  Why not just tell me the job is filled??  GRR... ...

Where Do I Find The Status Of Jobs And Number Of Jobs?
Nov 26, 2012

I tried entering my ID plus dep on the Fluency for Transcription page and it said my account was inactive.  Okay, so I tried twice with Remedy to get it reactivated.  Both times I got emails telling me it was working.  Tried again and no luck.  Am I on the right page, the one with the hideous orange splash, the same one we use to find our stats?  Any help appreciated, I really don't want to have to call tech support if I don't have to.  Do I even need to d ...

Just Another Familiar Vent About Applying For Jobs, Testing, Etc.
Sep 22, 2010

I am thankful to be working for a company who provides plenty of work, easy platform, great QA, greats supervisors, etc., but the pay lacks, so I have been looking off and on for something a little better, again, pay-wise.  I received an email today from a company, who has had great reviews on this board, about testing for them.   So, I open the attachment and there are 14 pages in the written portion of the test, once that is completed and if I pass that, I then have to take the ...

Will We All Be Out Of Jobs?
Dec 02, 2009

These eScription, Nuance, EMR, etc. posts are all very sobering.  Does anybody think that we'll all be out of jobs in 5 years, 3 years???  and will we be cut loose quickly or slowly phased out?  given enough notice?? etc.??   I think I'm getting to the point where working in a grocery store is starting to look more and more appealing.  The thing that contradicts all this is that most of the companies constantly beg for extra work, higher production, consis ...

Once And For All - There Are No Jobs!
Dec 20, 2009

On almost every thread somebody mentions their finances are in dire straights.  And on almost every thread somebody whose life is just peachy demands to know why they "let" their finances get shaky and why they didn't just "get another job before things got so bad".  We are not sitting around just wringing our hands, as is so often implied.  Many of us have been applying, constantly, for months; with more entering the job search every day, the competition gets harder and hard ...

Anyone Else Getting No Jobs Available? NM
Jan 04, 2010

No message ...

Where Have All The Jobs Gone?
Feb 15, 2010

I have been looking for work for almost 3 months and not even a bite.  I am so frustrated.  I have also been looking for work outside the MT field, have had a few interviews, but still unable to secure employment. Does anyone know if anyone is hiring for PT? ...

New MT Jobs
Feb 17, 2010

I found a company hiring new MT's it is www.inscribe.us ...

EMR And MT Jobs
Mar 09, 2010

I recently changed my health care to Kaiser and have observed first hand and for the first time, the use of electronic medical records; they really are of immeasurable assistance to each provider who is treating the patient.  Nevertheless, there are still certain physicians who must dictate, i.e., surgeons, consultants, certain medical specialists.  There will undoubtedly be fewer jobs for MTs but there will still be jobs for those who can transcribe those reports.  It will a ...

What Happens When Jobs Are Over TAT?
Mar 10, 2010

Does the MTSO pay a penalty? ...

Since (most) Jobs Are Not Going Through QA How
Mar 26, 2010

do we listen to them again after they have been sent to the client?  Anyone know?  Thanks for any help with this. ...

Where Our Jobs Are Going
Jun 04, 2010

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/remarks-president-us-india-strategic-dialogue-reception Remarks by the President at U.S.-India Strategic Dialogue Reception ow, it’s been said -- and Hillary alluded to this -- that there are two kinds of people in the world —- those who do the work and those who take the credit.  There’s a corollary to the saying:  Try to be in the first group because there’s much less competition.  (Laughter.)  It&rsqu ...

Jobs Out There Not MT, Sm
Jul 24, 2010

I just ran into a local job already, MOWING GRASS.  The lady's lawn mowing man just finished school and is quitting the mowing.  She paid him $1400 last month to mow, run the weedeater, keep weeds out of the flowers, etc. ($25 an hour).  My husband does handyman work and is always being asked to mow or if he knows anyone.  He hates it.  I like it.  I think I just might take this on.  (Probably for less money, though.  She thought that was too much, b ...

Could We Be Out Of Jobs Soon?
Feb 25, 2011

I know this was posted earlier.  I know we received email from our CEO.  So, we are sold to CBAY as of March 4?  The formerly known MTIA will be called CDIA?  Here is an article by the one and only, Peter Masanotti.  http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cdia---new-trade-group-for-clinical-documentation-solution-providers-set-to-launch-at-himss11-116596858.html   http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/medquist-holdings-inc-announces-closing-of-its-initial-us-p ...

MT Jobs !
Mar 09, 2011

So, I am about to finish a medical transcription certificate program through a community college. I have started going through these boards and I am starting to get nervous about job possibilities. Most postings are about how horrible the industry is and how impossible it is to get a job. I've been working on this for 2 years now and I'm starting to get nervous that it's been for, potentially, nothing. Any advice? ...

Here's Where Some Of Our Jobs Are Going -
Apr 22, 2011

For everyone who has had NJA lately (myself included) go to www.medquist.com and read this story on their front page " "Duke Primary Care eliminates transcription costs with SpeechQ." SpeechQ is the MQ program that eliminates the MT/editor altogether and MDs edit the reports themselves.  Duke Family Clinic alone is now doing 8,000 jobs PER WEEK this way, thereby eliminating our job from the whole picture.  What doesn't go to India goes to SpeechQ.  The writing is on th ...

Not Getting 2 Jobs At Once! Anyone Else?
Jun 04, 2011

I haven't been getting a second resevered job for quite some time and was wondering if I was the only one.  I have told my manager and she said she would fix it about 2 months ago.  It really stinks because after I complete a job it throws NJA at me.  If I let if search for jobs long enough it will find me one.  My manager said there is plenty of work and I shouldn't get that and I SHOULD get 2 jobs at once... but not yet I suppose. ...

This Is Where Our Jobs Are Going......sm
Nov 13, 2011

Saw this in an ad posting on my state's jobs available site, here is the job description:   -Working one on one with patients in both a lab and exam room setting. -Takes patients back to perform venipuncture and to prepare patient for doctor visit. -Performing basic lab tests -Charting, e-scribing, referrals, pre-auths… Check out the last line....e-scribing.  I guess that's progress, if they can get one person to function as an MA, phlebotomist, lab technician, ...

MT Jobs ?
Nov 19, 2011

I live in MN and I just got my career diploma in Medical Transcription. I would like to start my career but I'm having trouble finding anywhere that will hire a new grad. If anyone has any ideas on how I can get my foot in the door it would be greatly appreciated if you let me know what I can do. ...

Is There Still A Way To See What Jobs There R
Nov 05, 2012

anyone know who to see what jobs are listed?  thank you in advance :) ...

No Jobs..
Nov 05, 2012

I am worried about what is going on with firings, etc. I just asked my boss and she said, "No comment".  Am not sure if I am going to get laid off during the holidays, have to support a family.  Please say a prayer for all of us in this situation.  ...

Does It Seem Like There Are More Jobs Lately Or Is It Just We Are Being
Dec 07, 2012

offered the same amount of money that they make in India now so that evens out the playing field.  Seems that way anyhow.  It seems they are either extremely low CPL or full of ESLs that means you also cant make any money.  Well, I guess that is where we are now and I dont expect anything will get better as we move forward with EMRs, etc. ...

No Jobs In CA
Dec 24, 2012

I think I read on here that if you run out of work and live in California, the law is the company has to pay you for a certain amount of hours.  Can someone tell me about this law as I anticipate not having work today and most probably tomorrow.  Thank you. ...

No More Day Jobs?
Jan 15, 2013

Just curious, are there no more non evening and weekend jobs in medical transcription work anymore? I have been an MT for 15 years and now it seems all that is out there are the ones you have to bust your hump all night and weekends with crappy pay.  I have a life outside of work and I want to work when my hsuband works (9 - 5). ...

Two Jobs
Mar 17, 2013

To the folks who work for more than one company . . . . do you have both platforms loaded on 1 computer, or do you have 2, or more, separate computers? ...

Where Are The Jobs Now?
Apr 06, 2013

Okay, somone answer me this.  If so many people were fired and/or laid off, where are all the jobs today?  I'm sitting here with no job, so apparently the laid off/firing did not work as thought. ...

For Those Of You With 2 Jobs...
Jul 15, 2013

I am wondering how you do it. How do you juggle the jobs, kids, housework and anything else that might come up? I have resigned myself to the fact that I need to have 2 jobs right now in order to make ends meet. I just don't know how I'm going to do it. TIA ...

QA/QC Jobs
Aug 02, 2013

It just occurred to me, if a person did want to apply for a QA/QC job with the crappy way they score you it would be impossible to get a high enough score to be able to compete for the jobs. ...

New Jobs
Nov 28, 2013

Why is it that all of you that get on here bragging about your "new" jobs and how great they are don't SAY who you're working for? I'm probably not the only one interested here. Give it up! ...