A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

hospital job lost to Nuance - midwestMT

Posted: May 28, 2013

We were just told last week that our hospital will be going over to Nuance and that we will have the option to go also as employees of Nuance. We are told that at least we will "still have jobs" and that we will "still be able to work on our own account/doctors from the hospital". Nuance is telling the hospital all sorts of wonderful things, and we are being told very little. Can anyone please tell me what to actually expect? Will we stay on our hospital account? I left a national company to work for the hospital, and this transition just makes me nervous. I really did not want to go back to the rat race of working for a national again. Is Nuance's health insurance typical (where you basically work just to have health insurance?) and what about PTO? I am 55 years old and wondering if it is even worth going with Nuance or maybe just "retiring". Please can anyone enlighten a soon to be displaced MT?

What to expect - barbv

[ In Reply To ..]
I was in same position as you over a year ago. Yes they made all these wonderful promises (bleh..). We got to work on the hospital we were at; however, from day 1 the account was overstaffed and we ran out of work almost every day (even though we were promised that wouldn't happen!). I don't want to drag this out, but they don't keep their promises (both sides), so I would recommend starting to look elsewhere now!

To answer you.... - southernbelle

[ In Reply To ..]
Nuance will keep the same staff on the account. If the account has had issues with meeting TAT they may train others to join the account. As far as PTO goes you'll get the standard company PTO unless your employer in their contract mandates otherwise for a certain period of time. In regards to health insurance when I look at other companies I think their pricing is competitive. It may be more or less than what you paid at the hospital.

promises - no $

[ In Reply To ..]
They will keep promises for a short period of time the wittle away at your money, bonuses, benefits, etc. until you are working for minimum wage and only to keep your insurance. That's the way it is. Sorry. If you can retire, then I say retire.

Is it as bad as I have read on here? - midwestMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I left Keystrokes to work for this hospital. I work in oncology at their cancer center. I worked strictly ortho for over 20+ years and found the oncology a nice challenge. We are having another meeting where management will be telling us what came of their meeting with Nuance. I would like to speak up and let the other MTs in the department know what is really going to happen. We all work at home but are friends through the monthly meetings we have had to attend at the hospital. I do not want to see anyone get hurt by blindly going into this based only on what management is telling them. Some of these ladies have been there 20-30 years!! Anyway, based on my employment with Keystrokes only, I was going to mention: 1) No holiday pay and having to work holidays, 2) Editing is usually .04/line, 3) if there is not work, there are no $$, 4) research, logs "extras", etc. are not paid because you are only paid to type, 5) we could not ask for vacation less than a month in advance or more than six months in advance - not sure how that works at Nuance - and were rarely granted the times we wanted, 6) QA headaches, 7) pay cuts/no raises. Can anyone think of anything else I should bring up? I want to make sure they are aware that this is not an in-house, hourly, "good old days" transcription job that they are getting into. I am the only one there that has ever worked at a national. We are located in a very rural area and opportunities here are very, very limited. Thank you for your replies!!!

as bad? - no $

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I would say that pretty much covers it. Not sure about the time off request as I have never asked for it after being denied the only time I did ask for it. Lots and lots of out of work. I would tell them all, if they can work doing something else, or if they can retire, run away from Nuance without looking back. It's HORRIBLE!

Give it time - busymt

[ In Reply To ..]
I would say that everybody on here has a valid complaint. I've been where you are and have been fortunate not to have an entirely negative experience. I would just give it time and see if you can accept and adjust to the changes. Go by what information is given to you in writing and write it down if it is not provided to you (as far as the pay, vacation, holidays, etc.) I have never had PTO requests rejected, but there isn't a lot of time to request off, so don't have to ask for it too much. I have also been fortunate to have supervisors that allow me to flex my time when I need to so I don't have to ask for PTO. Yes the QA is a headache, but has forced me to slow down and catch my mistakes. I don't let up if I think I have been graded incorrectly either. Yes most holidays are worked and holiday pay is not great. I think that's my personal biggest frustration. Again, give it time, make your choices based on your own personal experience, and if it doesn't work for you and you're lucky enough to retire at your age - go for it. I'm 56 and would love to be able to have that option. Hope it goes well for you.

Well said!! Great advice. :) - no message

[ In Reply To ..]
no message

Did your hospital job start out with transitioning to EditScript? sm - Tiny

[ In Reply To ..]
I was wondering if the hospital that you work for originally purchased Editscript from Nuance, claiming that they were not getting rid of MTs and there would be plenty of work and then when the in-house MTs trained the voice recognition system, they gave you all up to Nuance?

I would be going back to school to learn a new trade and working part time for them until I was finished. I have never ever read anything good about any national, at least here on these boards. I worked for 1 national and it was a horrible experience.

YES!! - midwestMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, that is what they did. They did that on the hospital side of things, and those girls barely have anything left now. Over at the cancer center, they have just started it though. I am over at the cancer center but, unfortunately, even though we were never grouped together before, we are now being grouped in with the hospital MTs. I worked for the hospital before I worked for the cancer center so I have gotten to know all the girls on the hospital side too. Just a sad state of affairs really.

Well, that must be why they are grouping us all...sm - tiny

[ In Reply To ..]
together. How long did it take before you got notice that you Nuance was taking over and you were "lucky" enough to have a job with them. I cannot imagine going from my hospital benefits and pay to Nuance.

midwestMT - fm

[ In Reply To ..]
Girls? They hire children?

Read everything on this page, going back for months. - NoWayJose

[ In Reply To ..]
Just saying, if you can find another job, do so. Read for yourself, go back for a couple of months and only stop reading until your eyes bug outyohead. You will see and read the truth here, and you will know it for sure when you read the stuff the company posts to counter the truth the employees are writing.

Here's what I would do sm - tiny

[ In Reply To ..]
It seems to me that the hospital is laying off the entire department. To avoid unemployment claims they are offering the option of going with Nuance. Well, I don't think you should have to take that option considering the pay and benefits are less than what you are making now. I would look into either another position within the hospital, even if the pay was less, or I would let them lay me off and file for unemployment and go back to trade school to learn a new trade. It only takes 1 year to become an LPN or a medical assistant. You could go into coding? If you can get unemployment at least you'll have an income while your learning to do something new. You might even get your schooling paid for because of being a displaced worker or something like that?

tiny - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I think you are smart. If I were still hiring, I would hire you in a heartbeat.

LOL....thanks!!! SM - tiny

[ In Reply To ..]
I'll keep that in mind when I'm out of a job! :)

Thank YOU - midwestMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you everyone!! It does seem like it may not be in my best interest to follow along with becoming a Nuance employee, however, at this point, it seems to be my only option. I see that TransTech has the ad here for oncology MTs but with 5 years experience. I don't quite have that yet so oh well... I told my husband that I will give Nuance a try. Who knows, I may luck out :) Odds do not seem in my favor, and if it does not work out, then I can be on my way. I have to get my youngest child through the rest of his college so I need to give a try until the beginning of next year. I figure that is a fair shot, and I will know soon enough if it is going to work or not. I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond to my post. This transition scares me and to be honest actually makes me quite angry, but it is out of my hands. Thanks again!!

I sent you a lengthy private email. - Did you get it?

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Ummm - possibly?? - midwestMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi!! If this is who I think it is then I did reply via private email to you :) I hope that you got that because I really did appreciate your response (more than you will ever know!!) Thank you!

midwestMT - candy

[ In Reply To ..]
I thought Landmark also was hiring for oncology?

midwestMT - BTDT

[ In Reply To ..]
If Nuance told me the sun was shining, I would walk outside and look at the sky. RUN!

Nuance takeover - miffedmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Nuance took over our hospital in Alaska Dec. 2011. We, too, were offered positions with Nuance on the "same account/doctors." They said we could keep that account since we were already familiar. LIES LIES LIES.....Within 3 months I was moved to another account out of Colorado and it just got worse from that point on. I lasted a little over a year and then quit with no notice. I went from making $26 an hour to 0.04 a line! I wasn't even making half of what the hospital was paying us. Most on here say they make good money, but I REFUSE to sit in a chair for 16 hours a day just to get enuf lines in to make a decent wage while they send all of the good stuff over to India! I now work for a clinic, in-house, and LOVE IT. Nuance can kiss my butt!! along with the other MTSO's. I refuse to make the same amount of pay that ppl coming straight out of school are getting. I am in the process of getting my RHIT so I can train in medical records. This industry is going straight down the tubes! RUN RUN RUN!!!!!

on the other hand...... - miffedmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Our hospital is the one who got rid of US to save money, so I say they get what they pay for!! Doctors are extremely angry with the poor quality of reports and all the blanks that are getting left (something that was NEVER an issue when we had an in-house dept!). Just a shame....
thank you for your reply - midwestMT
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you so much for your reply. I really like hearing from someone who has been through this before and what has actually happened to them. This is what I am afraid of. All those promises are going to be just what I expect...empty promises. I appreciate you taking the time to tell me your experience!

Similar Messages:

Nuance Just Lost Huge Account
Sep 04, 2012

Just got email that stated that one of Nuance largest accounts has left them for another "vendor"  They will be slowly removing them from pool and putting everybody elsewhere so they say ...

OH NO--hospital Outsourcing To Nuance
Oct 15, 2013

Just heard our hospital is outsourcing 100% to Nuance. They are offering us our hospital pay for a while. Benefits marginal. I've read all the horror stories about them eventually sending all the work offshore and the US MTs making minimum wage doing all the worst dictators. Please tell me this isn't true. I've been with the hospital 16 years and will retire in 2 years. I'm so upset. ...

Nuance Hospital Takeover
Apr 30, 2014

Our hospital transcription department is nearing its demise. We've been expecting it for some time but that time has come. Nuance, of course, is the company that has come in to save the day and graciously offer all of us jobs.  I don't think there's even a chance I would accept such an offer but would love to hear stories from those of you who have gone through this as I know there are many of you. A lot of what I've read on this site is from a couple of years ...

When Your Hospital Out-sources To Nuance....
Aug 28, 2014

Has anyone worked as an MT for a hospital that decided to go with Nuance for their transcription, and effectively eliminated their in-house transcriptionists?  If you did, and you took a job with Nuance, how did it go?  Did you get to stay on your original hospital account?  Was it an okay switch?  Do you get other awful accounts thrown at you?  Thanks in advance! ...

Nuance Taking Over Our Hospital Dictation
Sep 19, 2013

We learned today that our transcription department is being eliminated and Nuance will be taking over. However, Nuance has kindly agreed to offer employment to us, promising that our first choice will be our hospital account. I think they are full of it and are just telling the hospital (and us) what they think we need to hear, and that one should run, and not walk, away from their job offer. Thoughts?  ...

Latest Hospital To Sell Out To Nuance
Nov 07, 2014

I am one of 20 acute care hospital transcriptionists who have just lost our jobs to Nuance.  Boy did they do a sales job on our hospital.  Our hospital refused to give us severance pay using the excuse that they were giving us as "a gift" the opportunity to work with Nuance and that in itself canceled out the severance pay.  Hah!  Most of us have been working for this hospital for 20+ years.  We lost it all -- job, health ...

We Just Found Out Our Hospital Jobs Have Been Outsourced To Nuance.... Sm
Feb 20, 2015

We just found out our hospital jobs are being outsourced to Nuance.  I am really worried.  From the webinar we attended, Nuance said all the right things and it didn't sound too bad, but it sure doesn't mesh with what I'm reading here.  We have to make a decision about whether to go with them or not by next week, and I don't feel like I have all the answers I need yet.  I feel like I'm being pressured.    I want to ask them questions b ...

Q&A Session Before Nuance Takes Over Our Hospital Dictation - Need Advice
Jun 25, 2013

I had posted a while back about Nuance taking over our hospital dictation. We are scheduled to meet with our department heads, HR, and Nuance in July sometime to go over the details of onboarding. Since we are being fed all of the wonderful benefits of being able to just on-board with Nuance and how nice it was of our hospital to think of us by providing us with this opportunity, I would like to ask some very pointed questions to the account executive that will be at this meeting in order to s ...

MT Pay Versus What Nuance Charges Per Line For Hospital Reports
Jun 07, 2014

Does anyone know or maybe even make an educated guess...how much a hospital might pay per line to have Nuance do their reports?  We are guessing somewhere .12 to .15 upwards to .20/line.   Of course they are claiming that this will save them all sorts of money and we'd like to know if they are really going to save as much as they think they are.  Oh...and did I mention that Nuance said they wouldn't be sending anything to anyone who didn't speak English ou ...

Does Anyone Work For A Hospital, But You Live Out Of State From That Hospital?
Aug 13, 2010

Or how from that hospital do you live? ...

Changing To Canada Hospital From US Hospital Transcription
Jul 20, 2012

I have taken a new job to transcribe for a hospital in Canada.  What are the differences?  Can you post (or email me) links for websites that you use for references - looking up doctors, meds, etc.  Is the spelling different? ...

Lost In OB
Jun 21, 2010

Procedure EFM toco?  ...

NEW IC LOST AT SEA - Please Help - Sm
Jul 22, 2010

I need advice.  I have just recently gone from employee (for over 35 years) to independent contractor.  This has probably been asked or discussed before, but I never paid any attention to the discussions as it never pertained to me; now I wish I had read the posts.  I feel lost here.  I was hired in the usual manner, and told what my line rate would be.  I understand the part about no taxes taken out, no benefits, etc.  I was also told what hours/days they need ...

I Did My Best And Still Lost The Job
Mar 21, 2012

I trained for 5 days and was called today and told I was terminated. No explanation but their instructions on page breaks sucked and I had off and on problems with them. They sent a video to watch and and would not play on my computer and I told them about it. All they did was send it to me again and still didn't work. These companies are all about greed and do not want to take time to really train someone who really wants to learn their job. ...

Just Lost My Job To EMR
Aug 15, 2012

I just received an email that was addressed to us ladies stating that as of Friday this week, we are not needed anymore because all doctors in a certain place are switching to EMR. It was a whole city. This is the first I have heard of this, that is, all their accounts in this city are switching. God Help us All ...

Lost Job To EMR
Aug 16, 2012

After 14 years of transcribing for a medical practice, suddenly, without notice, I was "dumped."  My client implimented the required EHR mandated by President Obama.  I guess I was somewhat naive in not seeing this coming, but I assumed transcribed documents by a "real person" would still be wanted by my client.  Now I find myself at age 57 without work.  My next step is to inquire about verbatim transcription, but the idea of not correcting improper grammar and using "yeah" ...

I'm Sorry - Afraid I Will Be Lost Below!
Dec 11, 2009

Under IC QA - thanks (waaaay down there - lots of comments) but after you read this - do I have options? ...

Lost Account To EMR :(
Jan 19, 2010

Last week I was told that the account I was working on went to EMR and they do not need any of the MTs on that account anymore.  :(  I have been sending out my resume but no bites.  I have 12 years of MT experience.  Where are the jobs? ...

HELP! I Lost My Tool Bar - Sm
Mar 18, 2010

I was doing something on the internet in Explorer and I did something that made my toolbar at the bottom go away.  Can anyone help me get it back?  Thanks in advance. ...

More Mt Jobs Lost To EMR
May 26, 2010

Just heard today my local town's clinic will be going to EMR in September so those MTs will be losing their job (we are only 2000 people but the clinic is going EMR), another town 125 from me with about 100 MTs have just lost their jobs and a bigger town from there has lost about 100 MTs because of EMR.  These are rural America and not big hospitals by any means compared to some of the bigger cities in the country.  This is just not right and so, so, so sad.  I also jus ...

Where Your Lost MQ Wages Are Going
Aug 27, 2010

From an article written 2 days ago regarding MQ's settlement of a lawsuit filed by Kaiser against Medquist (which MQ settled for 2 million, by the way):   The company reported net revenues for the three months ended June 30, 2010 as increasing $20.1 million or 25.9 percent to $97.5 million compared to $77.5 million for the three months ended June 30, 2009. ...

Lost Accounts?
Sep 02, 2010

This lost accounts business is b.s. They have been pushing overtime in QA for a long time because they needed people and now they have the nerve to lay people off. Nice way to do business. I actually feel sorry for the workers left there with all of that work. They are going to drill those employees into the ground with work. ...

Lost Job With MxSecure
Nov 25, 2010

Has anyone else lost their job with MxSecure because of the independent contractor going to employee only status.  I was informed that they are not hiring in my state and several others, but they would let me know if they decided to later.  Any information? ...

Totally Lost
Apr 29, 2011

The (leaves) of the (blood) ligament was dissected anteriorlly forming a bladder flap and posteriorlly exposing the neurovascular area of the ...  ...

Suspect We Lost A Lot Of MTs
May 27, 2011

My normally caught-up to NJA area has been frequently going out of TAT this last week with an outrageous amount of work, even after losing a huge account to the ILPs.  I suspect these new expectations have caused many to quit, obviously. ...

Lost My Coding Job To EMR
Mar 15, 2012

Hospital I work for just switched over to Epic.  I was informed this week that I will be laid off as a coder - I am no longer needed.  Instead, they will hire coders as data analysts, document improvement specialists and managers.  But, in order to get these jobs I need a degree.  I do not have a degree, just my CCS as well sa my CPC.  I feel like crying and giving up on this career.  First as a laid of MT to a laid off coder.  I don't want to be in this b ...

Lost For Words When I Saw
Oct 30, 2012

a report done by an MT that has been with the company since 1994 and spelled lichen planus with a K, e.g.,"liken planus."  Not a good sign. ...

Just Lost Our Jobs
May 20, 2013

Well it was bound to happen. Our doctors have gone with VR 360 and we have about a month to "get out" basically. Yep us five ladies have been evicted. Some have been there 20+ years. It was only a matter of time I guess. Get this..the department head started the meeting with a prayer (probably praying we wouldn't kick his butt) and then at the end they handed us employee assistance brochures for counseling services. HA!  I guess I should be happy they gave a notice but it was like "wel ...

Lost Job Today
Sep 19, 2013

Well,  It is now finally official.  Just got my termination letter through an Email today from K&R Consulting due to loss of contracts.  I would really like to express what I feel but it would not do any good.  They had already let some go and at least I got to work for a few weeks longer. ...

Query About Those Who Have Lost The
Jan 06, 2014

It is quite a shock the first pay check? I have always made it - lost the QA one but that one always seemed to be half tax anyway, so did not mind so much, but now that will be $100 (typically was my production bonus) less for me a week and also no incentive whatsoever to type more per line OR any more at all. I am certainly NOT going to spend 3 months trying desperately to get "back on top" and get the production bonus again. It just seems so arbitrary, and the errors have been ramped up, both ...