A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Latest hospital to sell out to Nuance - gonegirl

Posted: Nov 07, 2014

I am one of 20 acute care hospital transcriptionists who have just lost our jobs to Nuance.  Boy did they do a sales job on our hospital.  Our hospital refused to give us severance pay using the excuse that they were giving us as "a gift" the opportunity to work with Nuance and that in itself canceled out the severance pay.  Hah!  Most of us have been working for this hospital for 20+ years.  We lost it all -- job, health insurance, great PTO, everything.   The majority of us are 50 to 65 years of age.  But we are just the latest of thousands who have already gone down this path.

Nuance actually told us at one of their recruiting meetings with us that "you can make unlimited amounts of money with us."  They just can't understand why none of us took the offer.  Do they think we're idiots and can't multiple 4 cents a line by what we are producing now on EditScript?  They even insulted us by saying "when you get in a production-based mode you will increase your lines by at least 30%"  Hello -- we have been in a production-based mode for years with most of us around the 225 to 250+ lines an hour range.  They even said there are all kinds of tricks in EditScript to get our lines up.  Hello -- aren't you listening Nuance or didn't you did your homework before your recruiting session because we have been on EditScript for 3 years and know all the tricks.

We could make at least equal if not more money at a local fast food place or Walmart without the stress that goes along with this job at a close to minimum wage payment level.  Luckily we live in a very populated area where there are plenty of jobs available in all wage ranges.

Sorry - This is Why

[ In Reply To ..]
...I have been on this board for years encouraging ALL MTs so start looking for something other than MT.

Bless you for being smart enough to know what the N and M are, and where most transcription companies are going.

Use this opportunity of no work to explore other avenues. If you are like me (late 50s), you likely don't have the time or energy to go back to college, but it doesn't mean you can't train for something else.

I trained for Home Health Aide when I quit MT about 2 years ago. There are lots of options. If you have Excel, Outlook, Quickbooks, etc., under your belt, there are plenty of office jobs available.

Best of luck. I do have to wonder if the hospitals who have yet to outsource to MTSOs even have a clue as to the low quality work they'll be getting and that it will be offshored to India.

Thanks for the encouragement. sm - gonegirl

[ In Reply To ..]
I, too, am in my late 50s. I was not totally unprepared for this as we were told a couple years ago that it would happen to us one day, too. When I was told that, I immediately started socking money away. I had also been putting out applications for other types of transcription for at least a couple months previous to this termination and got hired on as a freelancer for two companies already. I was very surprised to find there are many other types of transcription (legal, law enforcement, workmen's comp, insurance, entertainment, corporate, etc.) out there. Of course, you want something that pays a decent amount -- like around $1 an audio minute ($60 an audio hour) or something close to that. I have also been looking into home care (elder, children, errands, transportation)for a few months now. I wasn't as unprepared as others in my department who were absolutely devastated. Some are even talking about possibly losing their homes, etc.

I thank you for encouraging people to start look at alternatives because one day it will happen, maybe sooner than later.

The quality isn't always bad. The work I do for one of the Big 3 is as good as sm - longtimeMT

[ In Reply To ..]
when I did the work for the hospital. Because there are still great MTs out working for the MTSOs, both big and small, sometimes the hospitals get the same quality as in-house. It's when it goes offshore that the quality suffers, but even then, sometimes not, if there are editors here making sure that it's fixed before going to the hospital.

What the hospitals gain is a huge cost savings and not having to worry about coverage.

The only ones who lose are the MTs. We don't make what we did in-house but after some time, it does come close. However, never for PTO or benefits; those are where we get hardest. I would love to have $129/month health insurance again, paid holidays and the 9 weeks PTO I had after being at the same place for 26 years. Wages come out OK, but the rest is horr

The "gift" that keeps on screwing. Don't join - Nuance, theyll suck out your soul.

[ In Reply To ..]

What hospital is this-you can email me-nm? - insameboat

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Does Nuance go to every hospital to get their work? - Soon will be the only company to work for

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Probably, eventually. Mostly they gobble up the hospitals that want to outsource. - Then they sell them on offshoring by....

[ In Reply To ..]
...convincing them during contract renegotiations that they can "save them even more" by letting the work go offshore and be done just as quickly. After all, India is wide awake when we are not, vice versa. Just my theory.

Betcha did not match the outsourcing I had - one time, making over

[ In Reply To ..]
$60,000 per year, working inhouse. I had worked there for about 12 years. We were not told a single cent as far as what we were going to make at the new job we were offered, no one took that. I went out started looking for another place, hired inhouse at another hospital and stayed inhouse there for about 14 years and finally outsourced to a company. The first time was a shocker, the 2nd was not. Having said that I do Escription and love it, even at 4 cents per line I can average daily about $150.00 which is not that bad.

NOT THAT BAD, BUT YOU MUST HAVE - CINDY

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, it is not that bad of a program, its just that when you have to jump constantly between 4 different accounts to check for work your not making anything while jumping from account to account everytime one runs out. you must have a constant flow of work coming in, lucky you.

There is a special place in hell reserved for Nuance staffers. - no message

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Similar Messages:

Check Out Post On Main Board, "Latest Hospital To Sell Out
Nov 07, 2014

...conspiracy theorists on this one! Ha!   ...

Does Nuance Have Any VA Contracts Or Do They Just Sell Them
Nov 13, 2014

IF they have any contracts, we will be due the new federal minimum wage of 10.10 per hour when that goes into effect. Sadly, I think it is more likely that Nuance will shuck those contracts, if they have them, to avoid this. Anyone know anything about Nuance and VA contracts?   ...

Latest Transcend/Nuance Insult
Dec 04, 2012

I am at about the last straw with this company.  Just a few minutes ago I got an e-mail from TSM about the "gym membership reimbursement" program.  It was to remind us "full-timers" to get our attendance records in to HR so that we can get reimbursement. Now, I have never even heard of this program.  I was a full-timer until earlier this year when I got knocked down to part-time because of their ridiculous $900 requirement, which they made impossible to reach with their %#@& ...

Hospital Job Lost To Nuance
May 28, 2013

We were just told last week that our hospital will be going over to Nuance and that we will have the option to go also as employees of Nuance. We are told that at least we will "still have jobs" and that we will "still be able to work on our own account/doctors from the hospital". Nuance is telling the hospital all sorts of wonderful things, and we are being told very little. Can anyone please tell me what to actually expect? Will we stay on our hospital account? I left a national company t ...

OH NO--hospital Outsourcing To Nuance
Oct 15, 2013

Just heard our hospital is outsourcing 100% to Nuance. They are offering us our hospital pay for a while. Benefits marginal. I've read all the horror stories about them eventually sending all the work offshore and the US MTs making minimum wage doing all the worst dictators. Please tell me this isn't true. I've been with the hospital 16 years and will retire in 2 years. I'm so upset. ...

Nuance Hospital Takeover
Apr 30, 2014

Our hospital transcription department is nearing its demise. We've been expecting it for some time but that time has come. Nuance, of course, is the company that has come in to save the day and graciously offer all of us jobs.  I don't think there's even a chance I would accept such an offer but would love to hear stories from those of you who have gone through this as I know there are many of you. A lot of what I've read on this site is from a couple of years ...

When Your Hospital Out-sources To Nuance....
Aug 28, 2014

Has anyone worked as an MT for a hospital that decided to go with Nuance for their transcription, and effectively eliminated their in-house transcriptionists?  If you did, and you took a job with Nuance, how did it go?  Did you get to stay on your original hospital account?  Was it an okay switch?  Do you get other awful accounts thrown at you?  Thanks in advance! ...

Nuance Taking Over Our Hospital Dictation
Sep 19, 2013

We learned today that our transcription department is being eliminated and Nuance will be taking over. However, Nuance has kindly agreed to offer employment to us, promising that our first choice will be our hospital account. I think they are full of it and are just telling the hospital (and us) what they think we need to hear, and that one should run, and not walk, away from their job offer. Thoughts?  ...

We Just Found Out Our Hospital Jobs Have Been Outsourced To Nuance.... Sm
Feb 20, 2015

We just found out our hospital jobs are being outsourced to Nuance.  I am really worried.  From the webinar we attended, Nuance said all the right things and it didn't sound too bad, but it sure doesn't mesh with what I'm reading here.  We have to make a decision about whether to go with them or not by next week, and I don't feel like I have all the answers I need yet.  I feel like I'm being pressured.    I want to ask them questions b ...

Q&A Session Before Nuance Takes Over Our Hospital Dictation - Need Advice
Jun 25, 2013

I had posted a while back about Nuance taking over our hospital dictation. We are scheduled to meet with our department heads, HR, and Nuance in July sometime to go over the details of onboarding. Since we are being fed all of the wonderful benefits of being able to just on-board with Nuance and how nice it was of our hospital to think of us by providing us with this opportunity, I would like to ask some very pointed questions to the account executive that will be at this meeting in order to s ...

MT Pay Versus What Nuance Charges Per Line For Hospital Reports
Jun 07, 2014

Does anyone know or maybe even make an educated guess...how much a hospital might pay per line to have Nuance do their reports?  We are guessing somewhere .12 to .15 upwards to .20/line.   Of course they are claiming that this will save them all sorts of money and we'd like to know if they are really going to save as much as they think they are.  Oh...and did I mention that Nuance said they wouldn't be sending anything to anyone who didn't speak English ou ...

Does Anyone Work For A Hospital, But You Live Out Of State From That Hospital?
Aug 13, 2010

Or how from that hospital do you live? ...

Changing To Canada Hospital From US Hospital Transcription
Jul 20, 2012

I have taken a new job to transcribe for a hospital in Canada.  What are the differences?  Can you post (or email me) links for websites that you use for references - looking up doctors, meds, etc.  Is the spelling different? ...

Which Company Do You Think Will Sell Or Buy Another Next? S M
Mar 06, 2011

I'm just curious what everyone thinks.  If you had asked last year, I would never have guessed MDI-MD or DTS would sell to Transcend, Spheris would go bankrupt and be bought by MQ or Transcend and Zylomed would both sell to a Canadian company.  Oh, I forgot OSI being bought by Nuance.  Who's left?  Keystrokes?  Webmedx?  Precyse?  Softscript?  Futurenet? Does anyone know who the biggest services are now?  Here's what I know: 1.  ...

Goodbye DTS...sorry To See You Sell Out.
Jun 30, 2011

I dread this change to Transcend and doubt very highly it will work out at all for me. Good luck to all the MTs. ...

Did All Type Really Sell To MQ?
Aug 24, 2011

I never thought I would see this.  How many companies are going to be here in a year? I know that MQ has bought at least 3 this year, Nuance has bought at least 4, Transcend has bought at least 4, Accentus bought 2 and Keystrokes bought 3 or 4.  Any I'm missing?  Are they all going to buy all the smaller companies or will they start merging with each other.  What's next?  Inquiring minds want to know! ...

Nothing About OTI Lately. Did They Sell? Did Everyone Quit?! OR...
Mar 16, 2013

Or is there finally some work? ...

How Do They Sell These VR Programs??
Dec 18, 2013

I'm assuming the software vendors talk the clients into how much they'll save by paying editors to fix this crap.  There is no way someone would buy into this software if they knew what it really looked like in draft form...omg.  It would not surprise me if the software vendor slipped a few Benjamins under the table to a willing doc at the facility and had him "train" the software before the presentation to the client.  The doc goes in, reads from a script, and near perf ...

Pay For VR Editing ... DO NOT SELL YOURSELF SHORT
Apr 10, 2010

I haven't visited MT Stars in quite a while, but I noticed tonight some postings asking whether $10 or $11 per hour for editing VR transcription is reasonable. NO!  IT IS NOT REASONABLE!  Any seasoned, experienced medical transcriptionist who lowers themselves to edit for half of what they should be making as MTs is insane.  We are destroying our own profession by not standing up for ourselves, our expertise, our experience, our professionalism.  Not me.  I'll ...

Recently Given A 2011 PDR, Keep/sell??
Feb 28, 2012

The doc I work for gave me his 2011 Physicians Desk Reference.  Is that something that would be good refereance material for an MT??? ...

Do Not Sell Yourselves Short!! There Is A World Without VR.
Nov 29, 2012

So many of us have been "gobbled" up by Nuance in the last few years. So many of us are transcriptionists with specialized, honed skills, and those skills are valuable. Do not be deceived by a company who devalues your worth and causes self-doubt and continues to tout itself as the leader in the industry. I believe there are many facilities, doctors, clinics, etc, who do not want their work run through a computer to be deciphered. It may be time-consuming and seem like a fruitful task, but if yo ...

Still Think OTI Isn't Going To Sell Out? Not After Some Of The Recent Events.
Feb 05, 2013

d ...

Where To Sell Transcription Books?
Nov 19, 2013

Hi all, I recently left Andrews School, I wasn't able to succeed in the course.  I have the books and materials still from the course. What's the best way to go about selling it? Should I use ebay? Or would it be better to find a bookstore locally that buys them? How would I go about finding that? Any help is appreciated thanks,   - Ave ...

CPC Certification Study Guide - Anyone Want To Sell One To Me?
Jul 17, 2013

I would like to buy a copy of this book if anyone could sell me one for a good price?  I can pay through your paypal account.  I have seen some on Amazon but they are expensive and I am hoping to find a better deal.  I don't care what kind of condition it is in, written in, whatever. Thanks :) CPC Certification Study Guide (Paperback) by American Academy of Professional Coders (Author), et al.  ...

How The Heck Does A Company Sell For 1.1 Billion Dollars But Can't Pay Its Employees More???nm
Jul 06, 2012

x ...

Latest MD-IT Ad
Jun 27, 2011

MD-IT keeps repeating this same ad out of the Boulder, CO, regional office.  But I understand they have had qualified people apply for this job the regional managers pass them up.  I also heard that MTs tried this account, decided it was too horrible to make any money, and decided not to work for this company on this account.  Anyone else have any valid information?  ...

Latest On SGS
Nov 18, 2011

Well, all the rumors are starting to come to pass with dear SGS (Superior Global Solutions).  I "WAS" in QA until yesterday.  They either fired or demoted 7 of us so far to MT status.  Not saying being an MT is a demotion, but for the sake of telling you about SGS and my experiences with them, we shall call it a demotion.  Back a few months ago they made SURE everyone had signed an "At Will" employment form so they would have all their ducks in a row when all this started to ...

TTS - What's The Latest?
Jan 18, 2013

Wondering what it's like there.  Benefits, work flow?  Thanks ...

What Is The Latest On This Company. I See An Ad For Them...sm
Nov 06, 2009

on another board and wondered if they got their stuff together after purchasing Medware?  TIA for any and all information! ...

DQS 6.1 - Anyone Using The Latest DQS Update?
Jun 08, 2010

Is anyone using the latest DQS update?  I think it's 6.1version.  I've already gone through the training on it but haven't heard when it's going to be started.  Thanks ...