A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What is AVERAGE line count per hour for an MT to type - Josie

Posted: Aug 17, 2013

Just wondering, what is an Average line count per hour for an MT?  I worked in a pathology office for almost 5 years, but we never kept count of lines per hour.  When we pulled an audit once, we were only typing about 700-800 a day between myself and the lady I worked with.  I had to pull all the slides for the doctor, help with grossing, assist in frozen sections, etc.  I was hired for a job where they want me to type 135 lines per hour, that's not bad is it?  Sorry, I'm nieve to working at home as a transcriptionist and just wanted some info :)  I'm so excited about this job and the people I'm going to be working with!  Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.  I think the only thing that I'm really worried about is my three teens leaving me alone so that I can work.

Is it typing or speech wreck? No message. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

typing - Josie

[ In Reply To ..]
It is just typing. I don't type 135 an hour, I think I would type more (type 65 wpm), but no clue yet. The company I work for is still installing things into my computer, so I haven't worked or trained yet. That is this coming week.

lots of variables, but 135 an hour is on the low end - get yourself a good expander

[ In Reply To ..]
Get yourself a good expander. I use Smartype but lots of other people use Instant Text. They will run you somewhere in the $150 range (there are others, but those two are the best, IMO) and it's tax deductible and worth every penny.

Set very, VERY specific limits with your kids. When mom is working, she's working. If they wouldn't bug you at the office for something, then they can't bug you at the home office. Period. You have to be very firm about that, or things will get out of hand quickly and once they are out of hand, it's hard to retrain and set back to rights.

To your original question about how many lines per hour, that has a lot of variables to it, i.e., how fast do you type, will there be templates available or that you can make, what platform are you using, etc.

Obviously, if you are a fast typist, that will help. Getting the expander will help tremendously. Once you get used to the account and figure out that the doctor always says things like "the patient is in agreement" you can set up a phrase and just type "tpii" and save yourself time and keystrokes.

I work on a straight typing account that I have been on for five years - which makes a big difference. There are a lot of templates on this account which I get paid for - also makes a big difference. I can do anywhere from 250 to 400 lph depending on which doctor is up in the queue at any given time.

I would say 135 lph is on the low end and that is straight typing with no expanders and no templates or shortcuts of any sort. That would be good for starters, but then you work on improving that. Do things like putting typos into your expander - if you consistently the "teh" instead of "the" , etc. It will slow you down at first, but you'll be thankful for it later on down the road when you don't slow down to correct yourself with typos (which is what I tend to do).

So, 135 an hour isn't bad, it's on the slow end. It's good to start if you've never really worked on production before, but you will want to work on getting that faster, so you can make more money, if nothing else.

Good luck!

thank you - josie

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for all that info, that is excellent. I have never been so excited for a job in my life. To not have to pay for gas to drive to work, and I have a terrible car right now anyhow. Here is a dumb question. What is a "word expander program". I forgot about using keystrokes, had them set up at my last job, excellent advice. Thank you.

A word expander program is software that expands - words or abbreviations

[ In Reply To ..]
If you use autocorrect in Word at all, a good word expander program takes that premise and then expands on it by about 1000 percent.

It's software that runs concurrently with Word or whatever platform you're running. With Instant Text, it shows up as a bar along the bottom of the screen. With Smartype, it's a box that shows up more near the area of your cursor.

For instance, if you type the letter "p", then you will get the top 9 or so options of words that begin with the letter P. Patient is usually the first option and you just hit your space bar, and bada bing, the word patient is spelled out in your document. You can do the same thing with phrases. The phrase "the patient" is usually abbreviated by just "tp" - easy peasy. I don't know how to type normally any more because I'm so used to the abbreviations that I have. I have to think about spelling some words because I'm so used to the abbreviations that I use for them.

It's little things like that. I type on an oncology account and the word thrombocytopenia is used a lot. I decided it was easier on my hands to just type trma. If they say the word thrombocytosis instead, my brain hears the first part, so my fingers are already typing "trm" so I just add an s to that and have trms for thrombocytosis. If I have a several word phrase, then I use the first letter from each word, for instance, "thank you for allowing me to participate in this patient's care" would be abbreviated "tyfam" and then it brings up that phrase. Some people use the first letter of the first word and then the last letters of the last words. That's too much thinking for me, but it works for some.

I use it for other little quirks, as well. My hand always goes out of alignment when I use the letter "q" so for the word "questions", I came up with the abbreviation "stns" It's easier on my hands and I can go faster. Going faster is what it's all about.

Both of those expanders I mentioned have command options as well. I use Smartype and so in that program, if you type "dd" it deletes the last character of the last word typed. If you type "ss" it adds an "s" to the last word typed. Same with "tt" - it will backspace and add "-type". Things like that make a HUGE difference.

I tried Instant Text several times but could never make the transition from Smartype. Smartype, IMO, is a little more user friendly, but I can see the appeal of Instant Text. There are people out there who love it, it was just different enough from Smartype for me and I had too much muscle memory and couldn't switch. There is also Shorthand which is very basic but also good.

Both Smartype and Instant Text have free 30 day trials so you can experiment and see if one of them suits you. It's worth the investment. Trust me.

The other thing you want to invest in is a REALLY good pair of headphones, not just the regular "transcription" head phones that a lot of people use. I have a pair of Bose stereo headphones. They're pricey at about $150, but remember that anything like this is tax deductible. They are noise cancelling and so I hear very little of what is going on in my house. It's just me and a roommate and lots of cats, so it's not like there's a lot going on, but I don't hear much going on outside, either. What I DO hear, though, is every word the dictator is speaking. I can't tell you how much of a difference it makes. One of my co-workers got the same headphones on my recommendation and he was astonished at how much more he can hear. If you don't want to spend that much, Radio Shack has some pretty good ones that are in the $50 range from what I understand. Get the best ones that you can afford. It will be worth the investment.

good luck!
Agree. Autocorrect user here (similar to Smartype or Shorthand in practice). - sm
[ In Reply To ..]

I tried Instant Text but couldn't get used to it because I was too set in my ways with my own "system" by that point.  I kind of regretted that I didn't start out on Instant Text so I wouldn't have had that built-in habituation with something else already, but I'm not sure I would totally 100% recommend Instant Text even to an expander newbie now, simply because it's not as overall compatible with as many platforms as say Smartype and Shorthand are.  (I know of some definite conflicts with IT and EditScript, for example, that you may or may not be able to resolve by having your company turn the clipboard off for EditScript, which depends a lot on the approachability of your supervisor; not worth the gamble to me.)

Similar to the above poster's system, I have my own, which is somewhat based on this: http://jonknowles.net/abczrule.htm (which is a great site to peruse regarding expander use in general, by the way:  http://jonknowles.net/index.htm )  

Because of how many Autocorrect shortcuts I've got going now (over 20,000) and more and more conflicts developing (needing almost identical shortcuts for different words/phrases), I've altered my method to include syllables in words (first and "middle").  So instead of my old ecgn for electrocoagulation, for example, I've changed it to elcon (and elcod = electrocoagulated, elcog = electrocoagulating).  Basically, "ababz" within a word, not just between 2 words (see above link).  I still get a few conflicts that require me to add an extra letter or two, but many fewer than before, and this is much easier to remember for words that I seldom use.  I also use the method of the first letter of the first 4 or so words in a phrase still (twnc = there were no complications; tpigc = The patient is given computerized discharge instructions).  And sometimes I just let my fingers tell me what they want for an expansion (can be a little idiosyncratic).  

Another good trick I learned:  ho for hypo words, he for hyper.  hoth = hypothyroidism, heth = hyperthyroidism, etc.  

I like those -dd, -ss, and -tt commands you mentioned in Smartype, 10:15 a.m. poster. Those are automatically built in?  I've done similar with macros and a key remapper, but that's very limited because of needing a key like Ctrl, Alt, Shift, or a combo of those to be included in the shortcut.  I might look into Smartype if I ever feel I need to move on from Autocorrect (I am very careful to keep necessary backups in case of the oft-reported crashing when there are a lot of expansions in AC, but no problems so far, knock on wood).  

response about Smartype - Yes, those commands are built in
[ In Reply To ..]
I freaking love Smartype. I bought it years ago when it was still offered by Stedman's and stuck with Word 2003 for a long time because it wasn't compatible beyond that. Joe Weber (the original developer) got it back from them and he has modified it and improved it and it's really nice. He also responds to e mails asking questions, too. He's a pretty cool dude.

Those commands are built in, along with others like "yy" to change a word ending in "y" to ending in "ies". It's also really easy to create them as well, so -year-old lady wasn't one of them, but I was able to create that very easily, along with some other ones that make sense to me.

The one thing I like about Smartype and Instant Text as opposed to autocorrect is that you can see your options right there on the screen and you don't have to remember all of the abbreviations you put in. Instant Text and the upgrade of Smartype also allow you to use the same abbreviation for different phrases, so if you have "the patient is in agreement" and "the patient and his wife are in agreement" you can use the same tpii short hand and then choose either option 1 or option 2, which ever fits. I use that for things like over the counter and over-the-counter. The other thing that's nice about these programs is you can store quite large blocks of text with formatting, so if I have a dictator who sometimes uses a section for LYMPH in her PE but not always, I can save that as a phrase and only put it in when I need to, but it's got all of the formatting done for me already. I don't know if that's an option in autocorrect, since I never got into using it that much.

Anyway, I'm a huge Smartype fan. It's easy and easy to learn and pretty intuitive.
Cool. Yeah, when I think Smartype, I think like the days of PRD and WP5.1, lol. - nice that Joe's kept it up
[ In Reply To ..]

Thanks for the info.  :)

words or abbreviations - smartype user - SAM
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for that post, it was very informative.

Would it be okay if I emailed you to ask a few (probably redundant) questions about Smartype?

Thanks so much :)
Yes, absolutely - The email through this site works
[ In Reply To ..]
I work nights, so you may get responses at odd times, though. :).
Email all sent - Thank you SOOO much!!!
[ In Reply To ..]
I work nights, too, so I know what you mean about the odd times, LOL!

Thanks ever so much for your help :-)

Similar Messages:

What Is The Average Line Count That MTs Can Edit Per Hour?
Mar 26, 2014

Thinking of applying at Nuance, what is the average line count that MTs can edit per hour? ...

What Is The Average Line Rate Per Hour Or Per 8 Hour Shift?
Apr 21, 2011

Hi:I am make incentive based on minutes, but I work on a system that lets me check how many lines and minutes I have typed in a day also. Just in case I have to get another job based on lines, I wanted to know what is the average amount of lines per hour or per 8 hour shift. Thanks for the advice in advance. MeL ...

ASR Average Line Count
Jan 26, 2010

I'm just starting ASR and was wondering if some of you could give me an average line count on ASR.  Thanks.  ...

Average Line Count Is Per Day?
Apr 28, 2010

Can anyone tell me what their average line count is per day? (just the total not separated between work type).  Im not trying to be nosey and I don't know who any of you are personally, I'm just trying to get an idea where I stand compared to everyone else here.  I have been at Medquist for many years and seen many changes.  Over the years, my line count has gone up and my pay has gone down.  I am trying to determine if the reason is mostly me or mostly medquist changes and if th ...

Average Line Counts On An 8-hour Shift Doing Speech Recognition?
Sep 23, 2011

What are the average line counts on an 8-hour shift doing speech recognition?  I use Dictaphone/Extext.  I'm producing on average about 240/hr sometimes less. Any info appreciated. ...

Futurenet, Thinking About Applying, Need Average Line Count 8 Hours
Mar 26, 2015

Could some of you give me a general idea of what your daily line count is per 8 hour day on their SR program.  I am a single mom with 2 kids at home and need to know if I can make enough money with their SR program to pay my house payment, food, etc.  ...

Line Count Per Hour
Apr 06, 2013

Does anyone know how we find our line count per hour?? ...

Escription - 250 Line Count Minimum - Median Lines Or Average Lines?
Dec 20, 2014

Does anybody know which column companies look at to decide if you are meeting the minimum 250 requirement in Escription? When I look at the metrics there are 2 columns...median lines per hour and average lines per hour. ...

Average Per Hour With 0.75 Or 0.375 Versus $12.00 Per Hour
Mar 31, 2014

My transcription job was always paid by the hour. I was laid off and they recently offered me a temp position with them making $12.00 an hour.  I was also offered a positon that pays 7.5 and 3.5 cpl.  The $12.00 is employee status for a small local company I worked for over 9 years.  The other is an IC position.  Do you think I would make more with the $12.00 an hour or the per line production rate?  I have never done production by line work so I'm not sur ...

Average Pay Per Hour
Jun 19, 2013

Does anyone know what the AVERAGE transcriptionst makes per hour?  Most are paid per line now, but I am just wondering what people are earning per hour.  I am a transcriptionst working for an orthopedist.  I have 15+ years experience and have been working with this company for a few years now.  I am currently being paid 13.90 per hour.  I am an independent contractor, so no benefits, PTO, 401K, etc.  For some reason I just feel like I am being paid very low consider ...

Amphion MTs - How Much $$ Do You Average Per Hour?
Mar 30, 2013

OK - I'm considering this company. I would love to hear from any Amphioners how much they average per hour and how long it took to get there.  I know the training pay is $10/hour, so I'm sure its more than that.  If you care to add which team you're on, that would be nice, too.  ...

How Many Lines Do Ya'll Average Per 8 Hour Day?
Feb 04, 2015

and is that straight/VR or both? Thanks! ...

How Much Do You Consistently Average Per Hour As An MT
May 17, 2015

nm ...

How Many Minutes Of Dictation Can You Do In An Hour/day On Average?
Feb 18, 2010

I was just wondering your best estimate of how many minutes of dictation you can do per hour/day. My manager is calculating that the average MT can do 100 minutes of dictation per day. This seems very low to me since I can usually do at least 20 minutes of dictation per hour with a mix of traditional typing and VR (more typing than VR). Am I just an anomaly? ...

What's The Hour And Line Count Differences Between Part Time And Flex Part Time?
Jan 12, 2012

I'm currently flex part time only working 18 hours a week but I do have a set schedule.  What are the requirments for part-time and how may hours per week do you have to work.  Also, is there a difference between the line counts for part time and flex part time. Thanks. ...

How Many Lines/hour Do You Average Doing Editing At Transcend? Sm
Jan 19, 2010

Hi, could anyone post what your lines per hour have been for the editing on BeyondTXT?  What would be considered good?    ...

Powerscribe - How Many Lines Per Hour Do You Edit On Average?
Jun 01, 2010

I was wondering if anybody out there was paid per line for Powerscribe and how many lines per hour do you edit on average?  I have always been paid a report rate for Powerscribe Radiology.  Also, which version do you use?  Thanks!! ...

What Is A Good Average Lines Per Hour On Meditech?
Mar 30, 2011

I have just started on Meditech.  Never used it before.  I am a long time veteran of 30 years, but this sure doesn't seem like a very productive program.  Any productivity tips??  I just wondered what a good average lph rate would be. ...

Average Lph Count For Newly Graduated Mt?
Sep 16, 2012

What is an average Lph count for newly graduated mts?   ...

Line Count - Is MTStars Flash Count And/or Abacus Equivocal
Feb 27, 2010

I usually use the line count built into the Word program itself.  Is MTStars flash count and/or abacus equivocal ??  Any one program better than the other ??  TIA ...

How Many Lines Will You Type In A Week On Average?
Sep 15, 2010

How many lines will you type in a week on average?  I am typing anywhere from 10,000 to 20,000 lines a week.  I spend my entire life typing, cooking and sleeping.  I very rarely have to time to go anywhere or do anything.  I was just wondering if everyone else who types at home has to type so much.  I work seven days a week and never get a day off.  I am just getting so tired and I think I need a break but if I do not do it, it just piles up and no one else helps out, so what's a girl ...

Does Count Score Mean Line Count In Fluency?
Sep 20, 2013

x ...

How Much On Average Does 8 Cents A Line Come Out To Be?
Jan 27, 2011

Just curious as I have never been paid by the line, how much does getting paid 7, 8, 9, 10 cents a line average out to be.  I realize it all depends on how fast you are but say on average???  What do most companies pay?  Thanks! ...

What Is The Average Pay Per 65 Character Line
Jan 24, 2012

What is the average pay per 65 character line for a newbie? ...

On Average How Many Hours Would It Take To Type 1750 Lines Per Day With Straight Typing??? Thanks. N
Jun 01, 2012

nm ...

Average Rate Per Line In California
Mar 10, 2010

I am just starting out and am trying to get an idea of what to charge.  Anyone who works in Ca, preferrably northern Ca, have any info for me?  I've heard that the west coast is averaging .10 per line, but I"d like to have an idea of what people are charging locally so that I don't undersell myself! ...

Average Length Of Line Question
Apr 15, 2010

Can all IC and empolyee MT's weigh in on this. Is the average line figured on 65 characters? Does anyone charge the "old" way where a line is a line,  regardless of how many characters it has? Thanks in advance! ...

Line Counts - What Is The Average Lph On VR Escription?
Dec 09, 2012

What is the average lph on VR escription?  Is it true, 700 lph is a possibility?  If so, HOW is that accomplished with accuracy?  I would appreciate any tricks/suggestions to achieving that goal :) ...

Average Line Rate At Nuance (sm)
Dec 20, 2012

With our new line rate starting Saturday, if we do over 12,500 lines we get increase of 2 cpl, means 2500 lines a day or about 320 lines an hour.  Do many of you do this many lines an hour now? ...

Is There A Difference Between A Sylvan 65 Character Line And Using The Line Count In Word - Sm
Jun 15, 2012

to divide by 65 to get the number of lines??? Thanks. ...