A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Average length of line question - myka

Posted: Apr 15, 2010

Can all IC and empolyee MT's weigh in on this. Is the average line figured on 65 characters? Does anyone charge the "old" way where a line is a line,  regardless of how many characters it has? Thanks in advance!

Yeah, who comes up with these crazy methods for calculating a line? - mrs.krabs

[ In Reply To ..]
Please don't say ADHI. When and how did they come up with an all black character line, a 65-character line with no spaces, a 5-cent 48-black character line, whatever???? It's like freaking calculus trying to figure it all out. Pay people what they are worth to you for goodness sakes!

the days of the gross line - are all but gone

[ In Reply To ..]
Just look on the job seekers board, and you will see all kinds of creative ways these companies are coming up to pay us less and less. The ICs are especially taking a hard hit given that they have added expenses of doing business.

65 character line is invention of AAMT - and AHDI

[ In Reply To ..]
The history of the concept of counting characters and dividing by 65 is the sole invention of those who were supposed to protect us. Instead by using this method, they have cut our pay by 1/3. The reason why we used to count by the gross line is so that we would be compensated for style formatting, demographic lookup, cc lookup, etc. which is not quantifiable on the page. Now, they want to strip out spaces and go with VBC. But the hospitals love them because they have turned their backs on us and pressured us to go along with it. I still charge by gross line and once I must abandon that, I will leave the profession.

wow - in what state

[ In Reply To ..]
are you getting your docs to still pay by the gross line?

I still get paid by gross line, as well. sm - myka

[ In Reply To ..]
Not sure if you read here, but I got slammed with a pay cut of 3 cents a line. Well, after negotiations, they but me by 2 cents instead of 3, but now they are questioning how I calculate my line.

What exactly is gross line? - mrs.krabs

[ In Reply To ..]
I remember counting lines manually with the printed paper in my hand (1980s) until Sylcount came along. Yes, I am that old (45 haha!). Selectric typewriter too! We counted every single line, be it long or short. I was just wondering why transcriptionists are paid piecemeal instead of hourly? Who started that trend? And Myka, you are worth every penny of that gross line count. Don't let them take advantage of you! I think we should all be paid what we're worth. You're probably worth your weight in gold to your doctors. Remind them of that if it ever comes up.

Thanks, mrs.krabs. I am trying! sm - myka

[ In Reply To ..]
A gross line to me is a line period. However, long and/or short it happens to be - that is a line. If I type it, I count it. That is how I have always worked. I am an IC, BTW, so that makes a difference IMO.

I agree!! You get what you pay for... - Diana

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been doing this for almost 30 years and I'm not about to change now. The way the line counting is now has help destroy this profession. All it's about now is getting the job done. Who cares if it's right or it looks professional. Sad, sad days.

I am IC with five accounts - and no QA (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
Two are .15 per gross line.

One is .13 per 55-character line.

One is .10 per 65-character line.

One is $5 per page - regardless of how many lines are on the page - plus $20.00 delivery fee added to each weekly invoice (I receive the voice files digitally, deliver printed reports to his office weekly).

As an IC, I set these rates, taking into account various factors particular to the individual client/account at time of negotiation of contract.

I am West Coast based - three of my accounts are local, one is Midwest, one is East Coast.

Thanks for replying. I am impressed. sm - myka

[ In Reply To ..]
I am impressed that you are able to charge the .15 per gross line. I have done calculations and it seems to me that the 65 character line drops you about 1 cent from the gross line rate. Do you find this to be true? Would you mind saying which of those 5 you listed is on the east coast? TIA!

see message for reply - 5 Accounts

[ In Reply To ..]
I start at .15 per gross line, and negotiate from there. Those two accounts (local-west) accepted that quote without question or haggle so that's what they pay.

I've not calculated the difference, one account to another like that, so can't say how I find it... I'll take your calculation as word.

The East Coast account is the .10 per 65-character, and I had to practically unbolt his eye teeth to get that. Pretty much guaranteed I will never get higher than that with this one.
Thank you very much for replying. sm - myka
[ In Reply To ..]
Just 1 more question. Hope you don't mind. When you said - No QA. What did you mean by that?
No QA - 5 Accounts
[ In Reply To ..]
No Quality Assurance (QA) person going over my completed transcription - editing, making corrections, dunning me based on their protocol or some book - before sending it on to the client.

I am my own QA. I proof my documents for accuracy, blanks are left for the office or doctor to fill in, and any changes or corrections to style, format, or terminology are made by the office or doctor.

There is a straight, unimpeded line between me and my accounts. I deal directly with them, they deal directly with me.
Ok. Gotcha! Thanks so much for your reply. sm - myka
[ In Reply To ..]
That is pretty much what I do. However, the office I type for wants me to make the corrections (such as letters where the doctor changed his mind about what to say) free of charge.

Since we are our own QA, the offices have to be saving money. I would assume the MTSO's must charge a rate to cover both a transcriptionist and a QA person.

Similar Messages:

ASR Average Line Count
Jan 26, 2010

I'm just starting ASR and was wondering if some of you could give me an average line count on ASR.  Thanks.  ...

Average Line Count Is Per Day?
Apr 28, 2010

Can anyone tell me what their average line count is per day? (just the total not separated between work type).  Im not trying to be nosey and I don't know who any of you are personally, I'm just trying to get an idea where I stand compared to everyone else here.  I have been at Medquist for many years and seen many changes.  Over the years, my line count has gone up and my pay has gone down.  I am trying to determine if the reason is mostly me or mostly medquist changes and if th ...

How Much On Average Does 8 Cents A Line Come Out To Be?
Jan 27, 2011

Just curious as I have never been paid by the line, how much does getting paid 7, 8, 9, 10 cents a line average out to be.  I realize it all depends on how fast you are but say on average???  What do most companies pay?  Thanks! ...

What Is The Average Pay Per 65 Character Line
Jan 24, 2012

What is the average pay per 65 character line for a newbie? ...

Average Rate Per Line In California
Mar 10, 2010

I am just starting out and am trying to get an idea of what to charge.  Anyone who works in Ca, preferrably northern Ca, have any info for me?  I've heard that the west coast is averaging .10 per line, but I"d like to have an idea of what people are charging locally so that I don't undersell myself! ...

Line Counts - What Is The Average Lph On VR Escription?
Dec 09, 2012

What is the average lph on VR escription?  Is it true, 700 lph is a possibility?  If so, HOW is that accomplished with accuracy?  I would appreciate any tricks/suggestions to achieving that goal :) ...

Average Line Rate At Nuance (sm)
Dec 20, 2012

With our new line rate starting Saturday, if we do over 12,500 lines we get increase of 2 cpl, means 2500 lines a day or about 320 lines an hour.  Do many of you do this many lines an hour now? ...

Just Curious About Average Daily Line Counts
Jan 16, 2011

I am just curious here. For those of you who work an 8-hour day with lunch break, other breaks, etc, what is your average daily line count? ...

What Is The Average # Of VBCs In A 65-character Line With Spaces?
Mar 06, 2013

x ...

What Is AVERAGE Line Count Per Hour For An MT To Type
Aug 17, 2013

Just wondering, what is an Average line count per hour for an MT?  I worked in a pathology office for almost 5 years, but we never kept count of lines per hour.  When we pulled an audit once, we were only typing about 700-800 a day between myself and the lady I worked with.  I had to pull all the slides for the doctor, help with grossing, assist in frozen sections, etc.  I was hired for a job where they want me to type 135 lines per hour, that's ...

What Is The Average Line Count That MTs Can Edit Per Hour?
Mar 26, 2014

Thinking of applying at Nuance, what is the average line count that MTs can edit per hour? ...

Breitner - Information On Their Average Line Counts On EditScript?
Jan 18, 2014

Can any current employees share information on their average line counts on EditScript? TIA ...

Average Line Counts On An 8-hour Shift Doing Speech Recognition?
Sep 23, 2011

What are the average line counts on an 8-hour shift doing speech recognition?  I use Dictaphone/Extext.  I'm producing on average about 240/hr sometimes less. Any info appreciated. ...

Futurenet, Thinking About Applying, Need Average Line Count 8 Hours
Mar 26, 2015

Could some of you give me a general idea of what your daily line count is per 8 hour day on their SR program.  I am a single mom with 2 kids at home and need to know if I can make enough money with their SR program to pay my house payment, food, etc.  ...

Escription - 250 Line Count Minimum - Median Lines Or Average Lines?
Dec 20, 2014

Does anybody know which column companies look at to decide if you are meeting the minimum 250 requirement in Escription? When I look at the metrics there are 2 columns...median lines per hour and average lines per hour. ...

What Is The Average Line Rate Per Hour Or Per 8 Hour Shift?
Apr 21, 2011

Hi:I am make incentive based on minutes, but I work on a system that lets me check how many lines and minutes I have typed in a day also. Just in case I have to get another job based on lines, I wanted to know what is the average amount of lines per hour or per 8 hour shift. Thanks for the advice in advance. MeL ...

Last Job 22 Minutes In Length And Only
Aug 02, 2011

73 freakin' lines because of the way the dictator did.  Very slow, lots of stopping and dead air, repeating himself.  In fact, he dictated the Impression 5 times and would say correction and start over.  He even had the nerve to laugh and snicker and said "to start over again".  Wish I could reach through the computer, down all lines to wherever the **** this jerk is and rip his tonsils out by hand without anesthesia. ARG.  Glad I'm done!  And he is a ESL ...

In ASR - Minimum Silence Length?
Mar 23, 2011

I checked the accelerate silence playback box in options.  Underneath the box is a scale of 5 seconds to 30 seconds (minimum silence length) - what does this mean?  What is the best setting to go with the accelerated silence playback - am confused.  Thanks. ...

Correct Way To Type 1/2-inch Leg Length...
Apr 07, 2010

is this the correct way to type 1/2-inch leg length discrepancy?   She has a 1/2-inch leg length discrepancy with the right leg being shorter than the left.   tia. ...

Auditors - What's The Maximum Length Of A Report You Process?
Apr 15, 2014

When you're pulling reports to audit, how long is too long?   ...

Which Is Correct? Above-average Range Or Above Average Range....
May 06, 2010

I've seen it both ways.  Is one way correct or preferred?  Or is either acceptable? Thanks much in advance! ...

What's The Average Pay Now?
Apr 25, 2011

Anybody know the average pay now? I just received a check for 2 wks for $600 after taxes, insurance take home for 40 hours...not great! ...

Average Cpl
Jan 07, 2012

My department will soon be outsourced so I'm looking for a job. I've been paid hourly for 13 years so wondered if anyone could tell me an average pay on a cpl basis for both straight transcription and VR. Thanks. ...

Average Pay
Mar 27, 2012

Can anyone give me an idea of what you are able to average for an hourly rate at Nuance?  I know everyone is different, just curious. ...

Average Top Pay?
May 27, 2014

So what is the average top pay most places pay after years of employment?  I've been with the same company for many years and get 9 cpl and 1/2 that for SR.  I've only been with the one company so really don't know what goes on most other places.  I'm very unhappy though and want to change companies but can't go down a lot to start.   ...

On Average, How May Lines Does A
Jun 11, 2010

full-time MT type in one day?  I have always had P/T MT jobs,  but I think some days I'm getting full-time workloads, 1500+ lines.  Just curious.  Thanks ...

Average Salary
Dec 15, 2011

On average, how much do you fellow MTs who work 40 hours week earn per week or month?   ...

Does Anyone Really Average 150 Lph With 20 Accounts?
Feb 25, 2012

Hi,  I would like to know if any of you regular MModal employees truly get to the point of being able to do 20 accounts and make both the lph and QA requirements? Not looking for the negative flaming.   I personally am really struggling.  I just don't know how one can read specs from 2-3 new accounts in an hour with all the peculiarities and still meet above said requirements. I want it to work.  I don't really want a new job.  But I feel like we are be ...

Can Anyone Tell Me If 4 Cpl For VR Is The Average Pay These Days?
Oct 03, 2012

Am Curious As To What You Average In LPH
Oct 14, 2012

Am considering applying with Nuance.  Have worked with the M*Modal speech engine before and know that Escription is superior but how much better is what I wonder.  Would you be willing to give me an honest estimate of your average productivity in LPH when editing?  I don't need inflated numbers just something to go by that reflects a reasonable expectation.  Also, what is the minimum LPH required by Nuance when editing? Thanks in advace. ...