A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

On average how many hours would it take to type 1750 lines per day with straight typing??? Thanks. n - wilson

Posted: Jun 01, 2012

nm

About 8 for me - sugaar

[ In Reply To ..]
If I take a couple 15 minute breaks and a short lunch.

That's a lot of lines and intense typing - pr

[ In Reply To ..]
I used to have the stamina to do that many lines in a day, but not anymore. My days are broken up into segments of 2 hrs. all day long and I can do about 1500 lines in 8 hours.

I would say.... - Carley

[ In Reply To ..]
8 hours with the help of shorthand :)

impossible to answer - too many variables

[ In Reply To ..]
1. report type
2. dictators
3. platform
4. MT knowledge base
5. diversions

I straight type 2500+ in about 6-7 hours. So you can't really base this on anyone's experience but your own.

However, that's just over 200 lph for 8 hours, so it should be doable.

Honestly.... - Sue

[ In Reply To ..]
I type about 85 wpm, and at my company it would take me about 12-14 hours if I had really good docs that day. If I was doing the crap drs and their ER notes, it would be more like 18 hours (lucky to make minimum wage on those). I don't know where the rest of you work, but I think I need a change after I get back from vacation.

Plus, more and more of our work is going to VR, and that is even worse than the straight typing because our machines do not seem to understand these doctors' voices at all. It really stinks!

Health problems of typing - JW

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are going to type that many lines per day, you better be aware you can have arm, wrist, and hand problems. It happened to me with a very sore left wrist and thumb. Just be aware, I was not and this is permanent damage.

On an account I was familiar with that allowed an average - amount of templating, maybe 5-6. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
For perspective, I prefer working intensively for shorter hours. I'm not a great typist, but I use an expander extensively, and I really LOVE making and using as many templates as possible.

Addendum: Note that templates are a big reason why - so many make more transcribing than

[ In Reply To ..]
editing. Templates allow us to "produce" various blocks of lines in seconds, and people using them extensively boost their earnings very significantly.

With editing, though, we lose almost all use of templates and with them those additional lines per hour. Thus, our daily line counts rise with editing but not nearly as much more than transcribing as would be expected.

My lines - Jen

[ In Reply To ..]
In an eight-hour shift, I will type just over 2000 and I do radiology. I have sometimes done over 3000 but this exhausts me. I guess it depends on the caffeine intake that day! LOL

About 9-1/2 hours, but... - Depends.

[ In Reply To ..]
I am on a clunky platform. Those of us on this platform get paid a very slightly higher cpl rate than others to make up for it. I remember hitting the 1800 mark so easily in 8 hours, about 15 years ago, but that was when patient info and copies were included in the line count.

Clinic Stuff, No problem...nm - Acute Care/Hospital, Problem

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

1750 lines - Ms. MT

[ In Reply To ..]
The question should not be how long does it take you to type it, but how accurate is it?

7-8 hours depending on the doctor. - me

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

It depends ENTIRELY - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
on the company and the platform. I've had accounts where I could type 300 lph all day long and accounts where I couldn't get more than 75 lph no matter how hard I tried. I would say that on a decent platform a fast and experienced MT would average between 200-300 lph. When I was in school my instructor told me that as a rule of thumb you should be able to produce a report within 3 times or less the length of the dictation. Therefore, a 3-minute dictation should not take you more than 9 minutes to type.

Similar Messages:

What Is Your Average LPH Straight Typing
Nov 01, 2014

I was never given a minimum LPH, but I feel I'm not getting a good line count.  I've been here about a couple months, straight typing, Ambulatory.  Just wondering what others are averaging and any tips to improve line count?  I've been doing this for 10 years, but have always been paid hourly before coming here.  ...

LPH Average For Straight Typing - Please No Neg About MTSOs, Just A #
Feb 28, 2013

If you are doing straight typing - or you did in the past - what was roughly your lines per hour?   I realize many people have lost these types of accounts and are extremely frustrated with MTSOs, etc.  That is not what I am asking about though...I am just looking for numbers.   Thank you  ...

Straight Typing, Always More Minutes Than Lines
Oct 10, 2013

On the straight typing accounts I work on, there are a lot of residents. I always do more minutes than lines. The standard 1 minute = 10 lines does not happen. I have to do 120 minutes and over to do 1000 lines. Just wondering about this.  ...

How Many Lines Will You Type In A Week On Average?
Sep 15, 2010

How many lines will you type in a week on average?  I am typing anywhere from 10,000 to 20,000 lines a week.  I spend my entire life typing, cooking and sleeping.  I very rarely have to time to go anywhere or do anything.  I was just wondering if everyone else who types at home has to type so much.  I work seven days a week and never get a day off.  I am just getting so tired and I think I need a break but if I do not do it, it just piles up and no one else helps out, so what's a girl ...

I Straight Type 5 Lines Per Min Or 300 Lph
Mar 27, 2012

NO VR.  Straight typing.  65 cpl ...

Escription - 250 Line Count Minimum - Median Lines Or Average Lines?
Dec 20, 2014

Does anybody know which column companies look at to decide if you are meeting the minimum 250 requirement in Escription? When I look at the metrics there are 2 columns...median lines per hour and average lines per hour. ...

TransTech Lines - How Many Lines Do You Average During The Day/week?
Jan 19, 2011

Just wondering if the TT MTs would like share ... how many lines do you average during the day/week?  I'm doing about 9,000 to 10,000 a week and wonder if I should be pushing myself more.  How much of your count is VR?  I do probably 15% traditional and 85% VR but that, of course, varies week to week.   ...

TransTech Lines - How Many Lines Do You Average Per Day
Jul 13, 2011

How many lines do you average per day - VR and traditional?  I know it's been VERY slow lately, but when things are going well, how many lines do you normally get? I'm trying to figure out where the average numbers are.  For me, I do about 350 trad and about 1400 VR in 8 hours. Well, my timesheet says 8 hours, but my clock says that number MAY(!) be a little higher.  Again, these are numbers I pull when things are going well and I'm not waiting for work to download. I'v ...

TransTech Lines - Required Hours But Are Short Lines?
Jun 10, 2011

What do you do when you have the required hours but are short lines? I got an email that I need to "make plans to have my shortage made up." The only problem is that I'm up to date with my hours for the pay period so far. The other problem is that I have plans Saturday night and Sunday (both being my scheduled time off) that don't include TransTech. It's getting harder and harder to defend this company when they can't hold up their end of the agreement and continually ...

On Average, How May Lines Does A
Jun 11, 2010

full-time MT type in one day?  I have always had P/T MT jobs,  but I think some days I'm getting full-time workloads, 1500+ lines.  Just curious.  Thanks ...

Average Lines
Apr 29, 2014

I currently work for a clinic system who, it seems, is trying to usher us out the door so I've been looking at online companies.  It seems plenty pay by the line but I have NO clue how many lines per hour I can even do because the only number my place of employment gives us is average minutes per hour for an entire month (our bare minimum is 12 min/hr).  So I am curious to know what sort of average lines per hour you ladies can do?  We really cannot afford for me to take a hu ...

AVERAGE LINES PER MONTH
Sep 17, 2010

Hello, Can someone tell me how many lines per month should the average transcriptionist be able to do. Thanks ...

How Many Lines Do You Average A Pay-period?
Mar 10, 2012

Not talking straight typing but VR line average per week or per pay-period. I know its a personal question but we are all anonymous here. So for example do you average: 7000 a wk 9000 a wk 15,000 a pay-period. 18,000 a pay-period. Me personally, I have been only averaging 14 to 15,000 a pay-period. Trying to work on improving and I work 40hrs per week, so basically only doing anywhere from 7000 to 8000 per week. Just curious if I am average, below average...I am assuming below ave ...

How Many Lines Do Ya'll Average Per 8 Hour Day?
Feb 04, 2015

and is that straight/VR or both? Thanks! ...

Who Has Straight Typing ...
Sep 21, 2010

NM ...

ASR Vs Straight Typing
Oct 15, 2010

Got new accounts for the last 2 weeks that are not ASR (yet) so have been doing about 90% straight typing.  I have been averaging about $20 more per day than when I do ASR.  They can sell whatever snake oil they want, I can type faster and make more money straight typing than I can with their much-touted fabulous ASR --- EVEN ON BRAND NEW UNFAMILIAR ACCOUNTS.  ...

What Is Straight Typing?
Jul 07, 2011

I'm just a tad embarrassed but I need to ask.  I just applied for a job that is "straight typing" but I don't know what that means.  Can anyone help me?  Thanks. ...

Does OTI Have VR And Straight Typing?
Jan 10, 2013

I am currently straight typing and hate it, so I'm looking for a VR job with some straight typing thrown in every now and then.  Thank you! ...

Straight Typing Only
Oct 30, 2014

Hi everyone.  I am putting in applications and I want to apply at jobs with straight typine, no VR.  If anyone knows of any, please let me know.  The VR is boring and while none of them pay the way they used to, I know that I could make more on straight typing...I have 9 years experience. ...

Straight Typing
Apr 13, 2015

Are there any accounts at Nuance that are straight typing and not VR? I find with VR I still have to make so many corrections it doesn't justify the pay per line so I might as well go back to straight typing, if those accounts even exist anymore. ...

Median Versus Average Lines?
Sep 03, 2011

Can someone tell me the difference between median and average lines per hour?  My median is 283.3, but my average is 247.9 (this is just for today's date).  I have been working for 6 hours and my lines are 1320.  Does not compute... lol Thanks. ...

Why Suddenly Less ASR, More Straight Typing?
Nov 19, 2009

Hmm, let's see.  We get a letter from MQ extolling our virtues as MTs, more and more info about nationalizing the EMR with Verizon, etc. and I notice I'm not the only one getting less ASR, more direct typing.  Could be a coincidence, but could be MQ is gathering statistics on us, how the voice recognition program of MQ compares with our production as MTs versus straight typing on our own.  Could MQ be using us as guinea pigs right now to pad their statistics to prove the ...

Does Anyone Do Straight Typing Anymore?
May 11, 2010

I've been away from the msg boards awhile. Is there any company out there big or small, that still does transcription the "Old fashioned way", typing instead of VR?  I've tried the VR, Hate it, make no money.  Surely there is a company out there somewhere that still values us and pays decently??  anyone? ...

ASR Versus Straight Typing
Mar 11, 2011

Does anyone else out there get scared when you get a straight typing report?   Every time I get a straight typed report, the dictator sucks, sound quality sucks, or both.  I am totally scared every time a blank screen pops up.  Don't mean to sound unappreciative of the increased income, but sometimes I feel like I am being pulled through a needle backwards! ...

Does Oracle Have Straight Typing And SR? 
Jun 12, 2011

Does Oracle have straight typing and SR?  ...

Any Companies That Use Straight Typing
Feb 10, 2012

Really don't like VR. ...

Re Straight Typing Versus VR.
Mar 08, 2012

I have a pretty good and accurate typing speed, which has made me pretty good money in the past.  Then along comes VR.  I have had somewhat success with it, if the right dictation is placed on it.  The problem comes in when a company tries to put anything and everything on VR that does not belong there.  It defeats the purpose of using it in the first place. I am told that the computer calculates the accuracy of a report.  If it is 80% or more, it goes on VR.  ...

VR Or Straight Typing? Which Pays The Most?
May 08, 2012

Which can you make the most money from? I have the chance to do one or the other and wanted some opinions from others before deciding.  Thanks. ...

VR Is NOT Twice As Fast As Straight Typing!
Nov 28, 2012

I used to love my job, being an at-home medical transcriptionist. I used to make around $20-25 an hour straight typing and thought being an at-home medical transcriptionist was the best job ever! The flexibility of working from home and flexing my hours was great! I could get the kids off to school, work for a couple of hours, go shopping, work for a couple of hours, just so I made production requirements and everything was great! Unfortunately, things changed and they started making us ...

If Accupro Is Straight Typing?
Sep 21, 2013

Does anyone know if Accupro is straight typing? ...