A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Unpaid 30 minute break and... - justdontknow

Posted: Jul 22, 2013

I don't mind having an unpaid 30-minute break, but the thing that bothers me about some of these companies is the fact that it is tiring sitting at a computer for 8 hours and getting only a 30 minute break.  If I want two more 15 minute breaks those can be worked in, but then I have to add back 30 more minutes to my time! I like to at least stretch ever hour or so.  :/ 

Agree. In this business... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Up until these national off-shoring companies monopolized the industries, no one expected MTs to stare at a screen typing nonstop for hours at a time. Think about how crazy that is. That's why we were paid hourly or on production and made our own schedule as long as we fulfilled our commitment.

It actually makes more sense to me that these big MTSOs demand it. They have no clue.

I'm more surprised by MTSOs who have supervisors and/or owners who used to be MTs even think this is in any way humanly possible without quality suffering, work fatigue affecting morale and production, eye strain, physical pain and discomfort, etc. It's even worse to do this with the repetitive motions and monotony of VR as opposed to straight.

I can't believe what's happened to this industry. Now the only ones you hear who "love" their job are those who still work for those rare great companies but are afraid to share the names (I understand), or those who think all the above is acceptable because their only worth is, "I get to work from home". Sigh. So sad.

Unpaid breaks - Me too

[ In Reply To ..]
Boo, hoo, hoo...I don't know if you realize it, but MTSOs are not the only ones who have unpaid 30-minute breaks. Every onsite employer I have had, the work day has been 8.5 or 9.0 hours. Where I work, it is our choice to take a 30-minute or 60-minute lunch break but it is on our time. Our employer wants 8 hours of work, not 7.5 or 7. I also sit at a computer all day but don't do MT. I rarely take 15-minute breaks because I am too busy, life is rough.

shoot....most of the day is - an unpaid break

[ In Reply To ..]
just sitting here refreshing the screen every 15 minutes waiting for work to come in. I would rather work.

LOL - You nailed it! A day-long unpaid break - is exactly what MT has devolved into. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
X

I am waiting for the day - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
when OSHA or someone gets involved and finds out exactly what is required of us and what we are not allowed to do to preserve our health while performing our jobs. We should be allowed at least 5 minutes of stretching or relief from intensive computer work at least every hour, and many employers require this, including where my husband works even though his computer work is not nearly as intensive as what we do as MTs. Do a search on computer safety and health hazards and note how some industries and companies value the health of their employees, Berkeley University Health Services for example, as noted on their website...1.Computer users should not be required to perform continuous, intensive keyboard work, such as highly repetitive data entry or wordprocessing, for longer than half an hour without the opportunity for five minutes of alternate work or the employee's regularly scheduled work break. Alternate work should not include other forms of typing or data entry that are substantially similar to computer duties and should provide a rest from intensive visual demands.

The day is coming, although I will not be here to see it, either gone from MT or dead. This has become, as many have noted here, a sweatshop industry flying under the radar of health safety for its workers, and something will eventually happen to bring it attention of health authorities.

Yeah, all that "hands on the keyboard" garbage - is gonna come back & bite them someday. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
X

perhaps you should consider working hourly pay. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
~~

myptevious job was hourly - original poster

[ In Reply To ..]
My previous job was hourly and the same way. My main complaint is not having an unpaid lunch. My complaint is as long as you are meeting or exceeding the 8-hour line/hour quota, then one should be able to take a5 or 10-minute break without having to add time back in or be penalized or scolded for having done so.

Most companies have impossible-to-meet quotas. - MTBankAccount

[ In Reply To ..]
That doesn't exclude them from needing breaks. If anything they (myself included) are even more harried and tense trying to meet these ridiculous standards, and tire more easily, so sometimes we need even more breaks. So that's why when I need one, I take it, because taking breaks actually makes us MORE productive, not less so.

I take my breaks when I need them. (sm) - MTBankAccount

[ In Reply To ..]
If they can't keep the work coming in with any regularity, why should I care if I already took a break earlier, and find myself needing another later on? I take it. They forget to factor in the stress of logging on to find:
a) No work
b) All 20-min. dictation messes by the worst ESL in the account.
c) All reports by the P.A. who never adds the demographics, leaving the MT with a 15-min. snipe hunt for each report. Unpaid, of course.

No, my health, both mental and physical, is far more important than the statistics the company's bean-counters might be collecting on me.

I also take breaks when I need to. - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
I take my dog out, I get something to drink, I get up and move, look at my facebook page/news, etc. I am not sitting here with fingers on the keyboard for pennies on the dollar. When I feel the urge to get up, I do. And no, I don't clock out except for my 30-minute break and yes, I'm able to make a decent paycheck w/out working OT.(Husband has an income or I'd be killing myself here.)

This is the only way I can get through the day here.

Similar Messages:

Radiology Paid Per Minute? Is $1/dictated Minute Good, Bad, Average?
Mar 01, 2010

Have 4 years experience.  Mostly acute care/basic 4.   Got a job offer for Radiology using Meditech platform and pay offered is $1 per dictated minute.  This is an IC job.  Haven't done radiology exclusively before and haven't been paid per dictated minute either.  Thoughts? Thanks! ...

Unpaid ICs
Aug 26, 2010

DIT Transcription in North Dakota ...

To Be BOS Correct, How Would One Write This: 3-4 Minute Episode, 3 To 4 Minute Episode Or 3 To 4-mi
Jul 09, 2013

I question things now that I never before questioned in my life!  Thanks for any help. ...

Looking For Former DIT Unpaid ICs; Question For You Now That Tax Time Is Here
Jan 01, 2011

Oh, those 2 dreaded words – TAX TIME Over the past year it seems as though there were more and more MTSOs not paying their Independent Contractors (especially DIT), leaving those MTs with little recourse to collect their wages.  I have never had contact with DIT, so I am kind of blind in my assumptions, and I may be way off base. If I am, just ignore the rest of my ramblings.   I assume that as Independent Contractors working for DIT, the MTs were billing or invoicing DIT peri ...

Lawsuit For Unpaid Overtime
Jul 21, 2012

Yet another lawsuit for unpaid overtime by Keystrokes.......anyone have issues working for these people and not being paid overtime?  Are you willing to stand up for yourself and get what you deserve?  If so, please send a response!  ...

Unpaid Insurance And Wages.
Aug 24, 2012

What would you think if you went to make a dental appt and were told you had no coverage due to non-payment by your employer and the insurance company cancelled you, but..... the premiums are still being taken out.  Or if you did not get your paycheck last payday or were $$$ short? ...

13 Days Of Unpaid Leave
Sep 10, 2013

I thought it was only 5 before.   So sick of this place.  I might drop to 20 hours and give them the absolute minimum. ...

Okay, Another Question On The Unpaid Time Off
Dec 03, 2013

have to exhaust your PTO before you can use it? I can see my TSM saying that is only after PTO runs out. TIA. This doesn't really answer my question: Q.  How much time off without pay can I take per year? A.  M*Modal is providing five additional days off to use as unpaid excused absences. All HDS/SHDA will have the ability to take up to 13 unpaid days off each year.  These absences can be used for sickness, family emergencies, vacations or other activities. However, al ...

Can You Take An Unpaid Hiatus Of 1-3 Months?
Jul 09, 2014

Does anyone know if you can take a hiatus of 1-3 months, without pay of course, and still have your job? Not related to FMLA or anything like that, I just need a flippin break, but I don't want to actually quit. ...

Unpaid ADT/CC Information Experiment
May 20, 2015

So my experiement yielded, and this is a consevative estimate because I may have forgotten to track sometimes and, of course, by actually tracking cut my prouction way down.. I had 1093 characters or 16.81 lines rounded up to 17, which is $1.36 a day and roughly 346.8 dollars a year based on an estimated 8 cents a line and 51 weeks working. In the personal scheme of things, not a heck of a lot but it is 2-3 electric bills for me..but more importantly, multiply that bill by all the transciptionis ...

Mandatory HIPAA Training UNPAID
Jun 04, 2010

So I read the below post about the email circulating among some employers (including mine) about this mandatory class and test for HIPAA. This is an excerpt from what I received today in my inbox:  I am getting some questions about the mandatory HIPAA class being unpaid.  Let me clarify why this is the case.  Taking the class is mandatory, but unpaid because it is a legal requirement and can be taken at your own pace, on your own time.  We are actually helping you to protect ...

We Had A Discussion Earlier About Unpaid Work
Jun 07, 2015

And I was told that they "give" you extra in each report. I had a no dictation report and the line count is 0.02 of a line. Is that what you deem satisfactory for the unpaid work we do? ...

Has Anyone Sued An MTSO In A Different State For Unpaid Wages? Sm
Apr 17, 2013

I just briefly scanned through the small claim filing rules for here in Colorado, and it looks like I would have to file a claim in her state (Texas). I just wondered if anyone else had done this and if it was worth it. I am an IC and after months and months of never being paid on time, I was smart enough not to work much and so she only owes me a little over $300, but I hate to let her get by with stealing even that much from me. TIA ...

Has Anyone Reported A Company To The Department Of Labor For Unpaid Overtime?
Aug 06, 2011

If you have, can you explain the process?  Did you supply them with a weekly log of your hours?  Did you file to the state you reside or the Department of Labor where your company has its main office?  How long did it take to get your check;-)  How were you paid - did they figure an average hourly rate as we are paid per line?  Any info appreciated.  ...

Anyone Had Successfully Filed A Claim With The Department Of Labor Regarding Unpaid Time?
Oct 03, 2013

I was wondering if anyone had successfully filed a claim with the Department of Labor regarding unpaid time waiting for jobs or being "engaged to wait."  ...

How Often Do You Take A Break?
Jul 18, 2010

I was just curious how often you get up to stretch your muscles and move around, etc.  I am trying to every hour or so take a 5 minute break or my muscles in my upper back and neck start to ache.     ...

What Happens When You Break A Job?
Jan 10, 2011

x ...

USING THE BREAK FUNCTION
Nov 10, 2009

Have you ever used the break function simply because you had a dictator that was so horrible that you got frustrated and sent it back?  I know that we are not supposed to do this and that MQ supposedly keeps track of how many breaks we use but I have to admit I have done this no occasion.  I had a report so bad a couple of weeks ago which was over 1000 seconds long and an ESL doctor, not to mention scratchy sound, etc.  About halfway through this thing I had already spent nearly 2 ...

CMT= +0.005 CPL, Or 55,000 Lines To Break Even
Mar 25, 2010

It was 275- for the exam when I took it, valid for 3 yrs. It took 2.5 hrs of my life, plus driving time to the big city. Worth it?  Maybe for job hunting. ...

Summer Break
May 28, 2010

How do other mothers deal with summer break when their kids are out of school as far as working for a company?  Do some companies let you have summers off and then return in the fall?  Do some MTs change their schedules around possibly doing work at night, etc?  Any companies better about this than others? ...

Please Give Us A Break..........
Jul 15, 2010

How many Medical Transcriptionist right now feel like they are being discriminated against because of your lack of experience?  Why are Medical Transcription companies only looking to hire experienced Medical Transcriptionist in a certain field?   Don't they realize the resources that are out there now, that can give someone the opportunity to grow in this field.  Right now there are so many people out of work and struggling to get a job and have little to no ...

Spring Break Or Spring Break?
Apr 13, 2011

Spring Break or spring break?  ...

Are We No Longer Getting Break Pay?
Aug 17, 2012

I noticed today that the break pay section of the timesheet was gone today and when I clocked off a minute ago after working for 7 hours that in the "break" box, it said 0.00, when usually it would be 0.33.  Anyone know?  I know it's not a lot of money, but I usually get about 3 hours per pay period and about $30.  I would hate to lose that, cause every dollar counts. ...

How Often Do You Take A Break And For How Long? Sm
Jan 25, 2015

I am trying to increase my production and am wondering if I push through could I take a break and then be more productive when I go back.  How often do you take a break and for how long? ...

Typed As Dicated, I Can't Seem To Break It Up
Feb 08, 2010

She has had bilateral tremors dating back at least a year and a half, when we first saw her in July, and noted a long history of anxiety and Geodon use, the latter starting about 3 months before the tremor, and at the time noticed on exam a 4-extremity tremor, worse right greater than left, a mixed rest and action, with marked rigidity right greater than left, upright gait with some posture instability and a masked facies with a decreased blink rate and a po ...

Just Sick Of It - Give Me A Break!
Sep 15, 2010

I hate it when "supposedly" the platform is not functioning properly or their system is "down" because I am making way too many lines for your (MTSO) taste. Then, it is finally "fixed" and you give me the worst and oldest dictations available.  Who exactly are you kidding?  Is this supposed to slow me down so I don't get that many lines.  Give me a break - I know this trick, been an MT way too long.  Just had to vent - Please do not try to convince me this is in my imagi ...

Using EMR Give Tax Break To Companies
Dec 09, 2011

Ran across this on Internet. Interesting. Section 179 Tax Code-2011 Expires  Section 179 has been extended to 2011 and made BIGGER! Section 179 of the IRS tax code allows businesses to deduct the full purchase price of qualifying Software/Equipment purchased or leased during the tax year. That means that, if you buy (or lease) a piece of qualifying equipment, you can deduct the FULL PURCHASE PRICE from your gross income. Cost of the Equipment/Software: $150,000Section 179 Depreciat ...

Low Work Due To Spring Break???
Mar 20, 2013

Now low work this morning is due to spring break.  Next week it will be Easter.  What then??  To my knowledge hospitals are open 27/7 and still take patients.  Wonder what the next excuse will be--why don't they just tell the truth.  ...

Break On Awful Dictators
Jun 22, 2013

To bad we don't get a break with the awful dictators. When you get those your line count goes down, and you are dinged for that. Really sucks when your line count for the week is above the minimum but all there is to do in the que are the hard to hear....now line count is below minimum :( ...

Hiring Again. Give Me A Break.
Nov 13, 2013

Good grief. MM ad just came up on Craigslist in my area. Geez, I figured, since we are entering the holiday season, it must be time for layoffs. ...