A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Unpaid insurance and wages. - Zoe

Posted: Aug 24, 2012

What would you think if you went to make a dental appt and were told you had no coverage due to non-payment by your employer and the insurance company cancelled you, but..... the premiums are still being taken out.  Or if you did not get your paycheck last payday or were $$$ short?

I would FLIP RIGHT OUT - and then get a lawyer

[ In Reply To ..]
And I might make a road trip to said employers front door.

I had precisely the same thing happen a long time ago. - Thought I had insurance, but when -sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I checked, even though the money had been taking out of all my pay, I had never even been signed up! About the time I discovered that, the owner out of the blue decided to fire me, and my last paycheck bounced.

Next stop, Labor Board. Told them the facts, showed them my pay stubs with the ins. money taken out, etc. I got all the money back I'd had deducted for the nonexistent insurance. I got my back pay, plus some kind of penalty fine against them. As if that weren't enough, the icing on the cake was, the Labor Board discovered a lot of financial hanky-panky was happening in that company, and they were shut down permanently. :) Did my lil' heart good when I heard that.

Did you know that if you are IC, you can pay for your own - insurance and it is a tax deduction. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
s

Unpaid Insurance - Zoe

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes I knew that about an IC, I'm not and don't want to be one. Thanks for the replies. Situation still not corrected and things just are not right. Some did not receive their checks last week, some were really really short. Lots of Indian names showing up in contacts (email),talk of having been bought. Think its time to contact Labor Board and start Plan B.

Similar Messages:

Has Anyone Sued An MTSO In A Different State For Unpaid Wages? Sm
Apr 17, 2013

I just briefly scanned through the small claim filing rules for here in Colorado, and it looks like I would have to file a claim in her state (Texas). I just wondered if anyone else had done this and if it was worth it. I am an IC and after months and months of never being paid on time, I was smart enough not to work much and so she only owes me a little over $300, but I hate to let her get by with stealing even that much from me. TIA ...

Unpaid ICs
Aug 26, 2010

DIT Transcription in North Dakota ...

Looking For Former DIT Unpaid ICs; Question For You Now That Tax Time Is Here
Jan 01, 2011

Oh, those 2 dreaded words – TAX TIME Over the past year it seems as though there were more and more MTSOs not paying their Independent Contractors (especially DIT), leaving those MTs with little recourse to collect their wages.  I have never had contact with DIT, so I am kind of blind in my assumptions, and I may be way off base. If I am, just ignore the rest of my ramblings.   I assume that as Independent Contractors working for DIT, the MTs were billing or invoicing DIT peri ...

Lawsuit For Unpaid Overtime
Jul 21, 2012

Yet another lawsuit for unpaid overtime by Keystrokes.......anyone have issues working for these people and not being paid overtime?  Are you willing to stand up for yourself and get what you deserve?  If so, please send a response!  ...

Unpaid 30 Minute Break And...
Jul 22, 2013

I don't mind having an unpaid 30-minute break, but the thing that bothers me about some of these companies is the fact that it is tiring sitting at a computer for 8 hours and getting only a 30 minute break.  If I want two more 15 minute breaks those can be worked in, but then I have to add back 30 more minutes to my time! I like to at least stretch ever hour or so.  :/  ...

13 Days Of Unpaid Leave
Sep 10, 2013

I thought it was only 5 before.   So sick of this place.  I might drop to 20 hours and give them the absolute minimum. ...

Okay, Another Question On The Unpaid Time Off
Dec 03, 2013

have to exhaust your PTO before you can use it? I can see my TSM saying that is only after PTO runs out. TIA. This doesn't really answer my question: Q.  How much time off without pay can I take per year? A.  M*Modal is providing five additional days off to use as unpaid excused absences. All HDS/SHDA will have the ability to take up to 13 unpaid days off each year.  These absences can be used for sickness, family emergencies, vacations or other activities. However, al ...

Can You Take An Unpaid Hiatus Of 1-3 Months?
Jul 09, 2014

Does anyone know if you can take a hiatus of 1-3 months, without pay of course, and still have your job? Not related to FMLA or anything like that, I just need a flippin break, but I don't want to actually quit. ...

Unpaid ADT/CC Information Experiment
May 20, 2015

So my experiement yielded, and this is a consevative estimate because I may have forgotten to track sometimes and, of course, by actually tracking cut my prouction way down.. I had 1093 characters or 16.81 lines rounded up to 17, which is $1.36 a day and roughly 346.8 dollars a year based on an estimated 8 cents a line and 51 weeks working. In the personal scheme of things, not a heck of a lot but it is 2-3 electric bills for me..but more importantly, multiply that bill by all the transciptionis ...

Mandatory HIPAA Training UNPAID
Jun 04, 2010

So I read the below post about the email circulating among some employers (including mine) about this mandatory class and test for HIPAA. This is an excerpt from what I received today in my inbox:  I am getting some questions about the mandatory HIPAA class being unpaid.  Let me clarify why this is the case.  Taking the class is mandatory, but unpaid because it is a legal requirement and can be taken at your own pace, on your own time.  We are actually helping you to protect ...

We Had A Discussion Earlier About Unpaid Work
Jun 07, 2015

And I was told that they "give" you extra in each report. I had a no dictation report and the line count is 0.02 of a line. Is that what you deem satisfactory for the unpaid work we do? ...

Has Anyone Reported A Company To The Department Of Labor For Unpaid Overtime?
Aug 06, 2011

If you have, can you explain the process?  Did you supply them with a weekly log of your hours?  Did you file to the state you reside or the Department of Labor where your company has its main office?  How long did it take to get your check;-)  How were you paid - did they figure an average hourly rate as we are paid per line?  Any info appreciated.  ...

Anyone Had Successfully Filed A Claim With The Department Of Labor Regarding Unpaid Time?
Oct 03, 2013

I was wondering if anyone had successfully filed a claim with the Department of Labor regarding unpaid time waiting for jobs or being "engaged to wait."  ...

Low Wages
Jul 21, 2010

Isn't it amazing how the cpl never seems to rise for transcriptionists?  Have these companies ever heard of cost of living?  This is pretty pathetic.  It has been 7 to 8 cpl of twenty years! ...

MT Wages
Dec 07, 2012

I want to congratulate everyone who posts on this site telling it like it is about the way these MT companies are destroying what once was a profession where you could make a decent living and actually enjoyed your job. I've been doing this for 30 years and I am still hanging on because I do not know what else to do at my age. I can barely pay my bills with what they are paying me and I am working full time. I am 68 years old and I really am not too excited about going back to school or sta ...

Wages?
Oct 31, 2013

I've taken the tests and have been offered a job with Nuance but want to know if the wage offered was the standard wage for Nuance.  I was offered 8 cpl for straight trasncription and 4 cpl for editing.  This would be for clinics only.  I've heard acute care paid more, but I've only ever had clinic experience.  Do they ever offer raises?  They mentioned a bonus program, and I've seen notes on here about people saying they have had problems getting th ...

AP - Wages
Jun 04, 2015

How many are aware of the wage disparity between different accounts (they don't find it necessary to tell us such a silly detail as the hourly wage, you have to look it up online).  With the new accounts, some pay quite low (as low as MB that no one wants to work on) and it may be a shock for those working on those accounts when they get their paychecks! Is it right of them to ask/require us to help out?  My feeling is  it is costing me to work on those accounts, as it lowers ...

Where Your Lost MQ Wages Are Going
Aug 27, 2010

From an article written 2 days ago regarding MQ's settlement of a lawsuit filed by Kaiser against Medquist (which MQ settled for 2 million, by the way):   The company reported net revenues for the three months ended June 30, 2010 as increasing $20.1 million or 25.9 percent to $97.5 million compared to $77.5 million for the three months ended June 30, 2009. ...

Fair Wages
Feb 18, 2011

I think a fair wage should be in relation to the economy, that which allows you to meet your baseline financial needs without having to work a second job or long hours.  I worked for a service back in the early 80s for 6.5 cents per line.  Today, nearly 30 years later, they're offering 7.5 cents per line, yet costs are sky-high.   It's pathetic.  It's sweatshop third world.  It's true, we're stuck with the way things are, but ...

WAGES-other Questions
Feb 27, 2011

I have been an MT for over 10 years for a hosital.  I am considering working for Medquist.  I currently make 19 per hour but my job is going away. I know   I can produce about 1700 lines per day mostly ISR work. Questions: How much does MQ pay per line for ISR (voice recognition) reports. Also what is the minimum work they require (lines per day). Do they pay PTO for part time? Do you get any incentives for weekend work?   How often do you run out of work? How m ...

No Raises In MT Wages
May 10, 2011

Is anyone else fed up with the fact that the wages for MTs never go up?  It has been the same low rate for years!  ...

Wages Owed - Help Me Out Here
Mar 10, 2012

I've got the form to file a complaint re:  Not getting paid for research, verifying patient name, cruddy dictators who shouldn't be in VR/ASR, etc. The person filing the complaint has to figure out how much the employer owes - any suggestions, or examples?  Say, for over a year's time? My example would be:  It takes 8 minutes to go through all my emails (a requirement of my job) weekly (yes, I timed myself) - so that's 8 x 4 = 32 minutes a month JUST for emai ...

Pathetic Wages
Mar 17, 2012

Does anyone else feel this way, work hard, trying to do a good job, need to pay the bills, need the insurance and end up with $80 for a full day's work and that is sometimes on a good day but $10.00 per hour seems to be on average what I get, after looking up docs, looking up meds, relistening to blanks, relistening to diagnosis, trying to understand lab values and yada, yada, yada.  Everyday becomes a marathon just to make $10 bucks an hour - haven't earned so little for man ...

Comparative Wages
Nov 07, 2012

Learned from my son yesterday that babysitters in Boulder, CO get $15/hour.  Do you think they have more training and experience than we do? ...

Unemployment Wages
Nov 18, 2013

If you are a production employee, employee status, do youl qualify for unemployment benefits (Nuance, formerly Accentus, formerly Zylomed)? ...

Wages And Compensation
Aug 07, 2014

I came into this field long after the precedent was set on pay.  I knew coming into this that the average wage ran from 6 cpl to 10 cpl, with most jobs hovering around 7 to 8 cpl.  What I didn't account for was that in more than 10 or 15 years, we'd still be at that rate.  Not only has our wage not gone up in over a decade, even with cost of living increases, but that when they came out with speech recognition, someone thought, "Well, it's doing half the work, so y ...

TTS Ridiculous Wages
Feb 19, 2015

It kinda looks like TTS can't get anyone to work for them with their ridiculous wages.  You'd think they would have figured it out by now.  ...

Insurance Question. If I Sign Up For Insurance Sm
Apr 15, 2010

and family member wishes to join later, can I enroll at any time or must it be during "official" enrollment period?    Thank you.  ...

Landmark Insurance - Insurance Cards Yet?
Jan 13, 2011

Has anybody received their insurance cards yet? ...

Landmark Insurance - What Is Happening With Our Insurance?
Jan 24, 2011

What do other LMers think of what is happening with our insurance?  I am the head of our household and am worried.  What do we do when COBRA runs out? ...