A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Can you take an unpaid hiatus of 1-3 months? - xx

Posted: Jul 09, 2014

Does anyone know if you can take a hiatus of 1-3 months, without pay of course, and still have your job? Not related to FMLA or anything like that, I just need a flippin break, but I don't want to actually quit.

I'm thinking..... - TrampledUnderfoot

[ In Reply To ..]
My thought is "no". I can't imagine they would let you just take an unpaid leave. Especially during the summer months. Although if you ask and they allow you to do it, let us know. I'd LOVE to take off a few months myself. After 33 years of this, I am seriously burnt out.

You could always lie and make up some excuse - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
When I had my back surgery, I wasnt working with this company, simply told them I would be out for a month..they never asked for documentation.

Why not just quit? If you leave with notice, on good terms, - you are eligible for rehire. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Yes, but probably not at your current rate of pay. nm - Something to think about.

[ In Reply To ..]
x

HIATUS - Nature

[ In Reply To ..]
I asked for 3 hours for this last Saturday, NOT on the 4th, but the 5th. I was told no that I had to ask 60 days before. Something had come up that I didn't know was going to come up 60 days ago. I only have 1 FULL day a week off, and I needed to go somewhere right after work on Friday. I did not get to go.

Does your TSMs name - start with an M?

[ In Reply To ..]
If so, she used to do that to me ALL the time. So glad I got swapped

HIATUS - Nature

[ In Reply To ..]
No it does not start with a M. I like my TSM. I have only taken 3 hours off this year. I am part time, so I do not get paid. I cannot afford to take UPTO, so I do not take off. I am going to take off 12 hours at Christmas and the same New Years. That is a whole week for me. I am saving for it now. Not giving out as many gifts at that time either. I have got to have some time off, or I am going to go crazy. I also need something to look forward to.

Why 60 days? July 5th is not a holiday.....nm - sunflower

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Employee or IC? - As an IC I can.

[ In Reply To ..]
I have taken extended breaks before, usually about a month to a month and a half. I have never had a problem. However, I am an IC and have complete flexibility with my scheduling. I am also on an account with 10 other MTs and we cover for each other. As long as the account is covered, my account manager doesn't care who takes off when. If the account gets behind, she may hire more though, so there is always the chance we come back to less work if she had to hire more MTs to cover us being gone.

Are you familiar with MM? They only have employees. - What an IC would do is mute point. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

No hiatus for tortured souls - cr

[ In Reply To ..]
A couple of years ago I asked if I could take a month off to move, and was told I was only allowed 2 weeks at most. Things may be different now though. I had to quit, then get rehired later. Since the pay never changes, it was the same when I was rehired.

you would really only find out at the end of your hiatus - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Unfortunately, no matter what they say they will allow you to do, at the end of the period, they don't have to allow you to return to work. If the don't allow you to return, you can file for unemployment. Just remember that the 3 months of no income will affect your unemployment benefit (if one is granted).

Similar Messages:

Grammar: 6-months' Time Or 6- Months Time Or 6 Months' Time
May 25, 2011

I had found an answer somewhere about this problem, but naturally can't find it now: The patient will be followed in 6 months' time.   OR The patient will be followed in 6-months' time.  Thanks for the help. ...

Unpaid ICs
Aug 26, 2010

DIT Transcription in North Dakota ...

Looking For Former DIT Unpaid ICs; Question For You Now That Tax Time Is Here
Jan 01, 2011

Oh, those 2 dreaded words – TAX TIME Over the past year it seems as though there were more and more MTSOs not paying their Independent Contractors (especially DIT), leaving those MTs with little recourse to collect their wages.  I have never had contact with DIT, so I am kind of blind in my assumptions, and I may be way off base. If I am, just ignore the rest of my ramblings.   I assume that as Independent Contractors working for DIT, the MTs were billing or invoicing DIT peri ...

Lawsuit For Unpaid Overtime
Jul 21, 2012

Yet another lawsuit for unpaid overtime by Keystrokes.......anyone have issues working for these people and not being paid overtime?  Are you willing to stand up for yourself and get what you deserve?  If so, please send a response!  ...

Unpaid Insurance And Wages.
Aug 24, 2012

What would you think if you went to make a dental appt and were told you had no coverage due to non-payment by your employer and the insurance company cancelled you, but..... the premiums are still being taken out.  Or if you did not get your paycheck last payday or were $$$ short? ...

Unpaid 30 Minute Break And...
Jul 22, 2013

I don't mind having an unpaid 30-minute break, but the thing that bothers me about some of these companies is the fact that it is tiring sitting at a computer for 8 hours and getting only a 30 minute break.  If I want two more 15 minute breaks those can be worked in, but then I have to add back 30 more minutes to my time! I like to at least stretch ever hour or so.  :/  ...

13 Days Of Unpaid Leave
Sep 10, 2013

I thought it was only 5 before.   So sick of this place.  I might drop to 20 hours and give them the absolute minimum. ...

Okay, Another Question On The Unpaid Time Off
Dec 03, 2013

have to exhaust your PTO before you can use it? I can see my TSM saying that is only after PTO runs out. TIA. This doesn't really answer my question: Q.  How much time off without pay can I take per year? A.  M*Modal is providing five additional days off to use as unpaid excused absences. All HDS/SHDA will have the ability to take up to 13 unpaid days off each year.  These absences can be used for sickness, family emergencies, vacations or other activities. However, al ...

Unpaid ADT/CC Information Experiment
May 20, 2015

So my experiement yielded, and this is a consevative estimate because I may have forgotten to track sometimes and, of course, by actually tracking cut my prouction way down.. I had 1093 characters or 16.81 lines rounded up to 17, which is $1.36 a day and roughly 346.8 dollars a year based on an estimated 8 cents a line and 51 weeks working. In the personal scheme of things, not a heck of a lot but it is 2-3 electric bills for me..but more importantly, multiply that bill by all the transciptionis ...

Mandatory HIPAA Training UNPAID
Jun 04, 2010

So I read the below post about the email circulating among some employers (including mine) about this mandatory class and test for HIPAA. This is an excerpt from what I received today in my inbox:  I am getting some questions about the mandatory HIPAA class being unpaid.  Let me clarify why this is the case.  Taking the class is mandatory, but unpaid because it is a legal requirement and can be taken at your own pace, on your own time.  We are actually helping you to protect ...

We Had A Discussion Earlier About Unpaid Work
Jun 07, 2015

And I was told that they "give" you extra in each report. I had a no dictation report and the line count is 0.02 of a line. Is that what you deem satisfactory for the unpaid work we do? ...

Has Anyone Sued An MTSO In A Different State For Unpaid Wages? Sm
Apr 17, 2013

I just briefly scanned through the small claim filing rules for here in Colorado, and it looks like I would have to file a claim in her state (Texas). I just wondered if anyone else had done this and if it was worth it. I am an IC and after months and months of never being paid on time, I was smart enough not to work much and so she only owes me a little over $300, but I hate to let her get by with stealing even that much from me. TIA ...

Has Anyone Reported A Company To The Department Of Labor For Unpaid Overtime?
Aug 06, 2011

If you have, can you explain the process?  Did you supply them with a weekly log of your hours?  Did you file to the state you reside or the Department of Labor where your company has its main office?  How long did it take to get your check;-)  How were you paid - did they figure an average hourly rate as we are paid per line?  Any info appreciated.  ...

Anyone Had Successfully Filed A Claim With The Department Of Labor Regarding Unpaid Time?
Oct 03, 2013

I was wondering if anyone had successfully filed a claim with the Department of Labor regarding unpaid time waiting for jobs or being "engaged to wait."  ...

18 Months' Ago
May 18, 2011

hey ladies, this may sound stupid just wanted to double check this. doc says "18 months ago." I'm pretty sure there is no apostrophe right? like its not possessive. TIA ...

Been Gone From MQ For A Few Months Now
Dec 17, 2011

I've been gone from MQ for about 5 months now, working at the front desk at a local group of docs office.  I learned how to schedule patients and meetings,  take payments, do the office bills, and file claims and bill insurance for patients and I've got to say, I never gave a thought to much of the person working the front desk.  I have been yelled at, threatened, given dirty looks and was once even told that I was an "old, ugly hag".  All this usually happens when ...

Been Gone From MM For 3 Months
Jul 25, 2014

The fact that the crappy work from overseas is no longer my problem. ...

Been Job Searching For 2 Months...
Nov 27, 2009

With no luck. Sent tons of resumes and taken tests without many replies.  I'm starting to get worried now. ...

Okay, It Has Been Months Since Anything Was Posted, So I Have To Ask (sm)
Jan 18, 2010

Is there anyone out there currently employed with Cardioscribes?  I realize that there is some India association but at this point I am so desperate for a job I would take any kind of association with it if they were to offer.  If you are employed with Cardioscribes would you either please email me or just give me some insight on the company before I apply?  Platform, pay, benefits, schedule, strictness of the schedules, etc., the usual and anything that you can think of.  ...

Started At TT Two Months Ago And
Jun 29, 2011

I never have work!  Second shift is not that busy like I was told it would be.  I am so bummed because I really like(d) the people there.  Now I have to look for work as an IC to make up for having small paychecks at TT.  Please tell me it gets better and this is just the summer slowness as we were told? ...

Months Of Time
Jul 11, 2011

I know the basic rule for apostrophes and time, i.e. one month's time, two months' time, etc. but what if the provider dictates, "Patient advised to follow up in here in three months of time..." Is the apostrophe still appropriate since he uses 'of' between? ...

6 Months' Time
Jun 08, 2012

I was corrected ove 2 years ago typing "I will see him back in 6 months' time" that the apostrophe comes after the"s" in months, but I got audited today and got marked off. Can someone please let me know if it is "6 month's time" or "6 months' time"???????? ...

Been Gone From Nuance For Several Months Now
Aug 14, 2013

I have to say the stress level went down almost immediately. I went on to be a CNA and though physically harder work, there is room for growth financially and moving up into another position. Not so with Nuance. Growth potential at this place was zero-more like they try to keep you held down as much as possible. I loved transcription when I started 10 years ago, but this company made me dread even looking at my computer. Good luck to all those who are still here. Prayers for you as you struggle ...

Using EditScript For About 3 Months Now
Nov 16, 2013

I've been using EditScript for about 3 months now, and it's the pits.  :p ...

Well, I Finally Did It! After Many Months Of Trying
Nov 20, 2013

I got fired!  And the best part of it is I get to collect UE because the HR witch is too ignorant to go about it in the right way.  The feeling of relief is so overwhelming and now I am free to pursue other employment.  Thanks so much Nuance for getting something right for me!  Mission accomplished.  Yeah me!!  ...

Left MM A Few Months Ago, During ..
Dec 23, 2013

the summer.  I took a couple months to find a new job.  When I did, unfortunately, the only thing out there was transcribing so, I reluctantly took the job.  I was absolutely floored.  They are without a doubt the best company I have ever worked for.  They don't do off shoring or use MTs from India/in India.  I just got a gift card in the mail from them!  My boss is wonderful.  I have issues with taking care of my husband and they never give me grief ...

4 Months Notice For PTO
Mar 17, 2014

Can someone please tell me how 4 MONTHS NOTICE is insufficient for PTO?!  It would seem that as a manager your responsibility would be to assess and find coverage as required, and with that much advance notice you shouldn't have a terrible time doing that.  Besides, it's not like my shift is the one that's always hard up for extra help.  C'mon!  Don't act like I've put you in a pickle, you have 4 months to figure out a simple 5-day solution. &nbs ...

It's Been 6 Months Since I Left MM And On
Dec 11, 2014

except to get worse, so I don't regret leaving. My plan was to become an IC so that I could work my own days/hours, as I needed more flexibility to take care of my aging parents, but it turned out the few responses I received to the many resumes I sent out all wanted someone to work set days/hours too. I have done MT work my entire adult life and always thought I would do it until I retired because I found it interesting and challenging, but the profession has changed so much now that I hav ...

If Anybody Gets A DVT During These Months Of Mandatory OT
Apr 26, 2015

(on top of being harrassed for any idle time to stretch our legs), I hope they sue the hell out of them for every penny they've got.  What kind of uncaring jerks make you do mandatory OT for months? ...

You Guys Are Unbelievable. For Months You
Mar 03, 2010

For months you have complained about NJA and other people logging on randomly and taking your work away.  So MQ comes up with a system whereby this will no longer be allowed to happen -- and you are now complaining about it too ?  The point here is to make sure that you will have work at your scheduled time without other people hopping on and doing it.   Isn't that what you have been wanting ?You have been really spoiled by MQ if you are used to logging on 15 minutes lat ...