A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Mandatory weekend work - Stargazer

Posted: Aug 07, 2010

Can a company impose mandatory weekend work on their employees who work one weekend day anyway?  Just curious !  MTs have Friday to Monday to complete the mandatory schedule of say an extra five or 10 hours !!!

Mandatory weekend work - Beth

[ In Reply To ..]
It seems a company/corporation in the USA today can request most anything from their employees and if the employee does not want to comply, they can look for employment elsewhere. The corporations now days are not like long ago, they are money hungry, don't care about employees, don't care about the country they live in, they only care about how much money they can make on everyone.

The flip side of the coin is that employees today do not stay loyal to one company for their career, - NeutralNellie

[ In Reply To ..]
think they are entitled to the best shifts, expect top pay as a new employee, do not want to go the extra mile, talk about pay with their co-workers, have a million excuses and do not care about the companies they work for.

What happened to the days of starting a job, doing your very best, getting promoted based on merit and hard work, being reliable?

Companies and employees are like the chicken and the egg, and no one wins. Both need to go back to times past and actually work together.

As an MTSO, yes one of those horrible people, I have learned that 1 in 10 employees actually does what they say they will but the other 9 will complain and whine loudly about how unfair they are treated. I value the excellent employees and have learned to ignore those that will never change or replace them as I can.

By the way, MTSOs do not make what you think. For my 80 hours a week, I bring home $75,000 a year. If I worked two full-time MT jobs, I would bring home more. I am not complaining; I love what I do, but I think so many things are blown out of proportion here that no one can separate one service or employee from another.

Mandator work - Stargazer

[ In Reply To ..]
My question was can a company enforce mandatory extra work on a weekend when an employee is already diligently working one weekend day! I did not expect a rundown of an opinion. You've obviously got more than one.

We do not have to reiterate the dynamics of this profession, positive or negative for that matter.

I am not complaining, not whining, just interested in ethics.

I did not brink up what MTSOs make and the like.

Just wanted a simple answer to a simple question.

A simple answer - the obvious
[ In Reply To ..]
Of course they cannot force you to work mandatory weekend hours. What they absolutely can do, however (assuming you do not have a written contract prohibiting such), is re-evaluate their staffing needs and determine that what they need for your position is someone who will work those hours and then you get to decide whether you wish to work when they need you or whether you want to find other employment in a depressed job market. If you have a conflict and cannot work, I'm sure if you speak to your CCM in the same supercilious tone that you did the poster here, your CCM will make every effort to accommodate a schedule change for you.

A company has the right to hire/schedule employees for whatever hours they determine to be the most beneficial for them, and they have a right to re-evaluate their work flow and restructure if they feel it is in the best interest of the corporation. And that is the key, the best interest of the corporation.

loyalty - Alice

[ In Reply To ..]
What I see on these boards is not so much "entitlement" as it is folks expecting perhaps a little loyalty themselves.

Those magical days of working hard and being recognized and rewarded for it are gone...now replaced with working harder than you've ever worked while being paid less to do so.

I think what so many of us are dealing with is a sense of loss, as so many of us remember "the good old days," when work was plentiful and we felt appreciated for our good work.

I think a lot of us are probably in mourning of sorts, trying to find our way in a new world, dealing with paying all the same bills with half the money, and coming to grips with the fact that it's just never going to get better.

as for your 75 grand a year...kudos. I work 60 hours a week and don't even make minimum. Last year I didn't break 30...so i would gladly take 1 of your 2 hypothetical full-time jobs that would pay more than 75 grand.
alice - mourning
[ In Reply To ..]
That's good what you had to say about a "period of mourning." I have to keep reminding myself (thinking about steady work, reliable paycheck, need for my services)-- "It doesn't exist anymore." I feel like I am going through stages of grief, with denial, anger, acceptance... Denial is when I sit in front of the computer for my whole scheduled shift and keep checking for jobs, and believe my TL when she says, "I'm sure it will pick up soon." Anger is when I post that ABC company is a scam. Acceptance is when I forget my shift, make no assumptions about what my paycheck will be, and sit down to work any hours, any day, just like the forest takes the rainfall at whatever day or hour it falls. I still can't quite accept that this is no longer the field for me, though. I envy those who are pragmatic or flexible (and young) enough to move on without too much reflection and too much time "starving it out."
How do you forget your shift? - Just curious
[ In Reply To ..]
Do they have you on a rotating schedule? I've never heard of anyone who simply "forgot" their shift, so I'm just curious as to how this can happen.
"forget your shift" as in, "forget about having work - during your scheduled shift
[ In Reply To ..]

Enjoyed what you had to say, NeutralNellie. - Poppy

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for a good, balancing perspective too seldom available.

Once upon a time we weren't able to gather anonymously from afar to complain but fussed at friends and family, who'd tend to agree when we were reasonable and raise their eyebrows when we strayed into silly.

Loyalty has to be earned. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't WANT to job hop. I have 15 years left to retirement and would love love love to find one place to finish those years out. But work vanishing Houdini style---now you see it/now you don't, pay cuts, etc., do not loyalty warrant. In addition, all the "perks" that used to come with seniority with one firm are no longer there; the newly hired makes as much (or sometimes even more) than those firmly in place and a decision to cover the weekends sweeps up even the well-tenured employees, not just the bottom of the seniority totem.

My can opener is no more loyal to me than it is the next person that picks it to open that can of tuna, and as long as MTSOs continue to treat their MTs as if they are some kind of machine, that's the same loyalty they are going to get. When MTSOs want to start demonstrating that we and our loyalty are worth something, there will be more loyalty given.
amen - s/m - Alice
[ In Reply To ..]
your analogy of the can opener...brilliant.

Great post NeutralNellie - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
There are so many MTs out there with a poor work ethic, i.e. they call out sick 10 minutes before their shift starts, they run errands and say they'll be right back and you end up waiting hours for them, they complain when there is no work but when there is a lot available they never have the time to help out, they change their schedule every month, it goes on and on. I am so glad to have finally gotten out of this business. The true professionals are the ones who know the ups and downs of this business and can roll with them. Too many newbies want gravy hours, accounts, dictators, etc. The profession has been watered down.

No, they're no more profit-oriented now than they - Poppy

[ In Reply To ..]
ever were. Making profits is what they do. Failing to increase profits year after year is usually seen as a sign of mistakes in management.

The thing is, the period since the 1970s has been an excessively business-friendly one legislatively. Remember such catch phrases as "We need to get of the back of business" and "government can't do anything right?" Well, we did big time, dismantling business regulations that had been enacted only after decades of abuse and misery to stop destructive practices.

That said, some push to have employees work extra when extra is needed has always been a part of the workplace. One complicating factor is that the flexibility we appreciate so much while working from home and being paid on a production basis is recognized in law and can work to the benefit of both employee and employer.

For instance, I found that when work isn't available, GENERALLY speaking, the law does not agree that MTs who choose to spend slack hours staring at a screen waiting for a report to come up (instead of flexing their hours to work when reports are available) are working during those periods. Within some limits, it's expected that we will act reasonably to make ourselves available when work is available.

If you feel like researching labor laws as they apply to your situation, Stargazer, I'd be very interested in reading what you find out.

Similar Messages:

Mandatory Weekend Day?
Jul 18, 2012

I just listened to the monthly meeting and she said ALL employees are now required to work at least 1 weekend day? Has anyone who is M-F been forced to change their schedule yet?  ...

Mandatory Weekend Day
Oct 21, 2014

After 12 years with Mmodal, and 5 with YOG, all working a weekend day, I still cannot get change my schedule to at least every-other weekend off.  Does everyone work a mandatory weekend day, or is it just T3?  TU ...

Mandatory Weekend Hours
Aug 12, 2010

My CCM has been harping on us voluntarily changing our scheduled to weekend hours, how "it won't hurt a bit" and you may quote me.  I already work every Sunday, but they want me to now work a 6th day, splitting one of my other days where they no longer need me to work, into Friday evening hours.  How am I supposed to do this when I already have a second part-time job on the 2 days I have off?  If they didn't slash my salary by 40%, I wouldn't have to work around the ...

Love The Mandatory Weekend Hours
Jun 27, 2010

so I can waste my time sitting here staring at NJA screen.  I need a new job!! ...

Incentive Weekend Plus Mandatory Overtime
Apr 07, 2012

NJA. Thanks Muddle! ...

So What Happens If You Do NOT Work Mandatory 2 Hours Over Weekend?
Aug 22, 2012

x ...

"Mandatory" OT Every Weekend
Jan 14, 2012

Can they really make us do "Mandatory" OT?  It is happening almost every weekend for the last 2 months. Could they fire me for NOT doing it----although, I could only wish.  ...

NJA On A Weekend!!
Jan 29, 2011

NJA on a weekend with a bonus going on!!!!  What an exercise in frustration.  And to make matters even worse, I received a recruiting e-mail from the boss....looking for new transcriptionists.  I have been NJA 3 days this week and then a bonus going on on the weekend and cannot even get my scheduled weekend time in!! ...

WEEKEND INCENTIVES
Nov 10, 2009

How do you guys feel about the weekend incentives that MQ sometimes offers?  You know, the 3 cents per line more for exceeding a line count that they calculate from the past for you.  Do you actually make more money or is it eaten away by taxes, and is it worth busting your butt for?  ...

Over The Weekend, I Did Not Have Enough Work Available
Nov 30, 2009

to even make minimum wage.  I am an employee with a set schedule.  Does anybody know where I can find info regarding minimum wage payments when production work is not available. ...

Weekend Work
Mar 23, 2010

Does any one know of companies that will hire for just weekend work (Sat. and Sun.)?        ...

OT With Weekend Incentive
Apr 30, 2010

With the weekend incentive, is OT automatically approved? Can't get a response from CCM.  ...

Big Rush Over The Weekend And Now NJA! NM
May 03, 2010

No Message ...

New Weekend Incentive...sm
Oct 15, 2010

Same old yada, yada, yada. It seems like they set my minimum at too many lines for me to ever achieve it so I don't even try.   BUT did you read the towards the bottom of the email where it says that the payout is Nov 25 EXCEPT for former spheris employees who will get their incentive $$ ON OR BEFORE NOV 5!!??? This is not fair. But then, when is this company ever fair. ...

Another Incentive This Weekend...nm
Dec 17, 2010

no msg ...

Weekend Workers?
Feb 13, 2011

How many of the MTs here work on the weekends? ...

No Work - Weekend
Sep 10, 2011

Never, in my 15 years with this company, has there been a time where I ran out of work on a weekend!   NICE. ...

Anyone Know Of A Co Needing Weekend MTs...
Jan 31, 2012

I have 15 years experience, but can't seem to find any steady work that includes weekends (like Fri - Mon, Thurs - Sun). If anyone knows of anything or has a suggestion, feel free to e-mail me.   ...

NJA Again After A Full Weekend Of NJA
Jul 09, 2012

and yet my CCM sent out a message requesting assistance on one of my accounts for this coming weekend.  What the blazes!  I have had NJA on all but one of those days she is requesting help for the last couple months.  What is she thinking?  It is quite obvious that the account is over staffed on a couple of those days and we will not need the help this week.  Its frustrating as I am barely making enough to live on as it is due to constant NJA and now she is asking for he ...

Incentive For Weekend
Jul 12, 2012

Here we go again, incentives offered for weekend and having to meet minimum lines to earn the incentive, but work is popping up so slow it isn't even funny.  My time card looks like I just clock in and out for the fun of it.  Come on!  Where is the work to even make the incentive pay? ...

I Was Not Allowed To Take Off For This Weekend.
May 25, 2013

As I watched my family leave and our dog to head to our relatives cabin in the next neighboring state last night, I cleaned the house and did some laundry and worked my last hour typing.  This morning I am ready to work my 8 hours and what happens???  NO WORK.  You think I would be used to this by now after all these years, but now I am really ANGRY!  I have done this when it is Easter, Thanksgiving, Fourth of July, etc.  That is it.  No more will I ...

Weekend Warrior
Oct 13, 2013

Are there any companies willing to hire a great, highly experienced CMT for Fri, Sat, Sunday?  Having a hard time finding anything.  ...

Did Anyone Take Them Up On The Offer Of OT This Weekend?
Sep 29, 2014

Sorry, not worth it to me.... ...

MOT On A Holiday Weekend And More
May 23, 2015

There is nothing more irritating to me than to call for MOT on a holiday weekend knowing darn good and well that the workload will slow down and work might trickle in for the majority of the accounts, yet you expect an extra hour of overtime... kiss my grits MM You offer bonuses for certain groups in a POD, send out emails on backlog and MOT for our group, yet I'm getting accounts from someone elses POD, not some other group but someone elses POD... kiss my grits MM You ding me for puttin ...

Is EMR Mandatory?
Apr 16, 2012

Perhaps I should know the answer but I do not.  What is the deal with the move to EMR?  Is it government mandated?  I just picked up a good side job transcribing for a cardiology group in my community and it's projected to last only until they go to EMR..the move isn't happening too quickly...are there penalties if they don't move to EMR?  Who is driving this? ...

Mandatory
Oct 10, 2012

Anybody enjoying the mandatory overtime.  Yea funny how we are on mandatory overtime and then get an email that states that if you run out of work, you are required to email them and flex your time and can only make it up after 5 p.m.  So again, you are required to check for your work throughout the day and if there is no work, sorry for your luck and if you want to be "lucky" enough to be employed w/ Nuance, you will then have to sign in and work on your off shift to make up your hour ...

Mandatory PTO?
Dec 09, 2012

Email received said basically,,,time sheet must be approved, make sure you have the required amount of time or PTO will be added to make up missing and you will need to re-approve it..I dont want to take PTO, I didnt run out of work, THEY DID..I put in my remedy ticket release without pay..How do they get away with that? ...

Mandatory OT?
Dec 20, 2014

Anyone else at SS wondering since when is OT mandatory?  Threats of pulling PTO and flex time already scheduled if normal days off during the holidays aren't spent working OT?  ...

MM, If You Want Mandatory OT, Then
Mar 16, 2015

only way I'd even consider OT.  period. ...

Still Mandatory OT
Mar 18, 2015

One hour required again today.  Too many people off on leave I guess. ...