A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I had an interview today, its in-house, temp, to catch up. sm - Its probably for 2 months. sm

Posted: Jul 24, 2013

I am still reeling from this sit-down.  I interviewed with the hiring manager of a huge medical group in this fairly large city.  I got her opinion on the future of MT.  This group wants to get caught up on everything because they are converting to EHR.  So, there is a temp position available.  Its $18 an hour.  Just like the old days.  

She told me that, as a manager, in her opinion, MT is gone.  She was a true skeptic and had a wait and see attitude about the EHR but from what she was seeing, their practice planned on keeping 2 out of 8 MTs just for added assurance to clean up any EHR mess that arose.  

She didn't think MT would disappear from the earth like the dinos but thought most clinic MTs would be unnecessary in a few years.  Their practice uses SR.  

I hope I get this job.  Even for two months, it will help so much.  More than that, she's someone to know in this town and that networking is priceless.

Good luck! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
As we all know, MT is dying but, like you said, networking is priceless! I am using every connection I know right now just to get out of MT as I am studying in a new field. Yes, it's not always what we know, it's also an added bonus who we know. I so wish you the very best of luck! :)

Thank you so much! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
This hiring manager and I had exchanged a few emails and really connected. I told her that basically, I was at the end of the road with college prerequisites. I'm in my 40s and know I need to move into a different field, etc. But I mentioned medical assistant to her. She strongly disagreed with that decision. It haunted me over a few days. Because of her opinions, I enrolled in the last 2 semesters of pre nursing so I can apply to an R.N. program next year. It is so enlightening to hear the opinions of someone in her position. Honestly, I sat back and told her wryly, it was she that sent me back for 2 semesters and R.N. applications. Honestly to see her face at that moment. A fist pump happened. If I don't get the temp job, that's okay. I may not. Someone may test faster or whatever than I do. But I got a network connection.

Cleaning up the mess - My experience

[ In Reply To ..]
That manager is giving you best case scenario, plan on being around for a while to "clean up the mess." We've been on an EHR system (starts with E) for more than 2 years and are still "cleaning up messes." Your experience may be different, but there are going to be providers who will still want to do traditional dictation, and they will probably need people to edit the VR. If they outsource, they may need clerical staff on site. Your temp job may turn into permanent full-time. If it does not, you will be in a good spot to try for other things from within. Good luck, I hope you get it.

very good points. - best wishes to the OP!

[ In Reply To ..]
I hope she gets it, too. You made some great points. Managers frequently underestimate and under-assess these "clean-up" issues. The OP may be in a good position to end up with more than just a 2-month gig.

I've been "cleaning up the mess" - al

[ In Reply To ..]
for over 3 years. The hospital wanted total VR but there are too many gltiches, MD quirks, STATS and no station available, to keep me busy 8 days a week. Good luck.

Good luck! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

System manager concurs - sm - In-House Lead

[ In Reply To ..]
My manager is openly saying that MT is dead. With Epic, we are seeing about an 80% reduction in dictation volumes -- in keeping with what the other systems in this area have experienced. She is actively shepherding us into other positions within HIM or something similar (i.e., the most tech savvy amongst us are now training, at her behest, with the Epic support team).

She can envision a time within the next three years where there isn't even a transcription manager here; what duties remain will be dumped upon the coding manager or someone in documentation integrity and the three people left in the department needed to clear the interface error queues will report to that manager. She is figuring she will be forced to retire before she's really ready.

Despite all this, there are still people in this department who are in complete denial.

To the OP: Congratulations on this! I really do hope you get it, even if it is temporary. If you prove you are the employee of the century, it's very possible something could open up in HIM for you. I also do think this assignment is going to last for more than just two months. Volunteer for every task, no matter how menial. This is how doors open. :)

I really think we are seeing the end of MT and your Lead is - doing the decent thing. OP/sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Warning people and trying to identify skill sets and move people into other positions is really admirable. Not everyone is doing that at the corporate level.

Funny you should mention what you did. She basically echoed what you posted above in terms of keeping a couple people. One advantage I have? I'm used to living down here in the MT jungle where its eat and run like heck to not get eaten. I work by the line, babies! I've got 2 months to show you what simultaneously working on 11 teaching hospital's accounts for 7 cents a line does to one's skill set. :-) Hah.

By helping them set up EHR, don't you feel you're - contributing a small bit to demise of MT?

[ In Reply To ..]
'

If not her, then someone else. The technology is here - that train has already left the station

[ In Reply To ..]
EMR/EHR is here to stay. That DOES NOT mean transcription is going the way of the dodo, it just means it's on the endangered list. There are still a lot of EMR systems that use transcription. Even if everything converted to voice recognition tomorrow, someone still needs to edit the output. That may be the doctors themselves, as we have already seen in some situations, but more than likely it's someone like those of us on this board. The real question is, will the editing being done at the big ugly national MTSO's ever get back to a point where it's a wage people can live on.

I have seen some of these reports edited by doctors - YUK - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx
You should see the recommendation letter I got from one of my - MT25
[ In Reply To ..]
former client/physicians. He used VR to do it. I'm embarrassed to show it to a prospective employer (which I haven't found yet. However, maybe it will make a point, huh? It's got three errors right off the bat and spelled my name way wrong.

It beats the alternative - My experience

[ In Reply To ..]
It is time to realize that the EHR and all that it entails is here. None of us who accept HIM or MT related jobs during the conversion are contributing to the demise of MT. We are accepting the fact that MT as we knew it is gone. The people who are able to do that and move on are the ones who will remain standing. There is also the little issue of being able to eat, pay bills and keep roofs over our heads.

Agree completely. (nm) - In-House Lead

[ In Reply To ..]

contributing a small bit to demise of MT?? I dont - think so. She has the

[ In Reply To ..]
opportunity to make $18 an hour for the next couple of months on top of getting her foot in the door to a large hospital which could open up even more doors of opportunity. I agree with the person above who said "the train has already left the station."

She is making a wise decision by exploring her future options. She by no means can contribute to the demise of an industry that is already on its way out the door. As someone else said, if she does not take the job someone else gladly will and I wish her all the best in whatever career choice she decides to make.

Good for you! - Yay!

[ In Reply To ..]
I hope you get the job! I'm so excited for you! We all are (I would hope). Make the most of those 2 months and cherish every penny. I hope this temp job turns into something permanent for you, maybe in management in a different department.

I got the job! Thank you everyone for your positive thoughts. - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Yay!!!! Yay!!! and triple Yay for you! So glad - you got the job...sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The 2 months or so you spend working in that position (hopefully longer) maybe consider getting your CNA - It's not a very lengthy course. I say this because you expressed intrest in getting your RN and if you can get a job working weekends as a patient care tech (CNA) you can go to school full-time during the week.

That is how I was able to go to school and support 3 kids and keep a roof over my head. I worked three 12 hour shifts over the weekend and it was like a full-time pay check and it paid off, definitly something worth checking into. Another idea is to go through a short phlebotomy course, you can get a job as a lab tech working weekends also in the hospital and possibly doing 12 hour shifts so your week days are free for school full-time.

I took a phlebotomy course through my local community college years ago and recently took a refresher and worked in the lab today at my current job (we are required to get 30 blood draws in to be deemed competent again) and now I am able to do phlebotomy on my job - I work for a huge health network and am currently working as an MOA (medical office assistant) so it makes me more of an asset on my job. They also offer EKG courses and things like that, which I will be taking full advantage of.

Sorry so winded, but I just left MT 3 months ago after 10 years and I am also 40, so I am basically starting all over again work wise and God has definitely been good to me. I have only been with this health network 3 months, but they are very large and believe in continuing education. My goal is to eventually move out of the clinic setting (Medical Office Assistant) and back into the hospital setting working weekends so I too can go back and finish out my nursing degree.

Good luck!!! Im so happy for you. Use this opportunity to your advantage. I wish you many blessings!

That's a fantastic idea. It really is. I will look into it. - Thanks! nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Congratulations! I hope it leads to much - more!

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Got An In-house Interview!
Jan 05, 2013

It's for third shift, which doesn't excite me, but from the second Nuance gave me a Christmas 25% pay cut I've been scouring jobs of all shapes and sizes. Imagine my surprise when I found an in-house job advertised looking for a CMT only. I really hope I get it so I can give Nuance the finger, which they will probably be glad about so they can give what little work I have left to India. I've been through several mergers and it's been relatively painless until the latest ...

Had Interview Today
Jan 26, 2011

Having passed the test earlier this week, I had my telephone interview today and all seemed to go well.  The recruiter said he would be sending my information off and a supervisor would be in touch with me about which accounts I would "fit" with. Anyone remember how long it took from the final interview until a supervisor contacted you for placement?  Thanks in advance for any info, my future co-workers! ...

Had My Exit Interview Today
Aug 05, 2013

Had my exit interview today and was BRUTALLY honest.  I would like to think I helped the rest of ya all still in this business, but probably not.  I explained in very frank words that twice working for Medqust/M Modal was two times too many.  On the question of how M Modal can maintain a low turnaround in employees and make working with them better, I went with STOP off-shoring all the work, STOP the NJA, STOP the threats of firing with a failed audit.  Keeping the work in the US will solve ...

Exit Interview Phone Call Today
Aug 06, 2012

I left MM a few weeks ago and today got a call. They asked lots of questions about how satisfied or unsatisfied I was with MM and I answered them all as honestly as I could. When they asked if I thought any of their practices were illegal or unethical...I told them that hiring people to work for you and then expecting them to use their PTO or go without pay when there was not enough work was extremely unethical. Especially when you have many MTs with NJA daily and others with mandatory OT someti ...

Command Health - Interview With Them Today For An SR Oncology Account
Jan 08, 2014

I have an interview with them today for an SR Oncology account. Can anyone tell me how their SR platform is? ...

Endocatch Bag, ENDO-CATCH BAG, Or Endo-Catch Bag?
Nov 19, 2009

Which of the above is correct?  Google has all three spellings and I'm not sure which one to use.  For now, I'm going with the last one. ...

Temp Job Outside Of MT?
Jan 29, 2013

I, like many here, would like to transition out of this industry, but it's not an urgent need or anything. I'm considering applying to a local university (large)as a 911 dispatcher. I have experience that matches the requirements. But, bummer, it's only temporary, 4 months. Has anyone had the experience of a temp job turning into a permanent one? I realize no-one has the answers,just curious about others' experiences. ...

UE And Temp Job
Jan 31, 2013

What happens if you are getting unemployment and take a temp job anybody know? ...

Temp Job That Pays Well
Aug 19, 2013

I was hired as a recruiter for a large cancer nonprofit that holds walk-a-thons. It is a 3-month temporary position and I was allowed to choose the hours, anywhere from 20 to 40 hrs a week. It involves reaching out to corporations and individuals and asking them for in-kind or monetary donations as well as participating in the walk-a-thon itself. Most of the contacts are repeat donors and are happy to get the call to join in the event again. Participation with the event is also required - se ...

What Is A Temp-to-Hire MT?
May 02, 2014

Just showed up on the Job Seeker's board.  Does this mean that you're a temporary employee until they decide they like you, and then they give you a firm offer?  Not a good deal, IMO.   ...

ASR Catch-22
Jun 12, 2010

Is anyone else experiencing sort of a Catch-22 with ASR in terms of staying disciplined to stay in your chair?  I hate it so much that it makes me tense, and then I have to pop up out of my chair.  When I'm doing straight MT I don't have this pop-out-of-the-chair syndrome.  As well, with ASR, I want to pop up because I'm ticked that I'm not making much money doing it.  Almost like there is no incentive to even SIT there.  But, I have to, a little more ...

Accentus - What's The Catch?
May 15, 2012

ad says they are paying 7.15 CPL for SR Editing and 11.18 CPL for Transcription.  Must be a catch.  What is it? ...

Not Following CP's Is Beginning To Catch Up.
Oct 04, 2012

Some clients starting to notice and complaining. But geez, some of those CP's are so lengthy and convoluted and laden with so many things we do not get paid for. Of course, the longer the CP, the more likely the client is to complain. ... Some CP's are so long and involved, those accounts really shouldn't be farmed out to those who normally do the account. To be unfamiliar with an account with so many peculiarities is inviting trouble. Choices, choice, go through that CP and m ...

The Kinds Of Things ASR Will Never Catch.
Apr 13, 2012

I'd love to know how my old hospital feels about the reports that they're putting in their charts, now that they've outsourced everything to a company that uses ASR (which, incidentally, they were not told would be used when they contracted with the MTSO....although they may have assumed it--I don't know).   There are just soooo many things that ASR will never, ever catch--especially in cases where the doctor is just being absent-minded.  For instance, I once had a ...

Did Anyone Catch That NTS Has 60% Accuracy Per 100 Lines
Oct 18, 2012

On recent mandatory training video, when talking about quality percentages etc., the speaker mentioned that on spot audits by clients out of every 100 lines audited, only 60 of lines (or 60%) must be error free? Did I interpret that correctly? ...

In-house Job
Oct 14, 2010

I applied for an in-house transcription job in August back at my old pre-MQ hospital.  They decided the work load was too light (they had lost Radiology) and we not going to fill it at that time.  Another position has been vacated and I got a call from a friend that they are definitely filling it this time.  There were only 2 qualified applicants in August.  I am hoping the other person found something great already.  I have my fingers crossed, am nervous, and need ...

In-house Pay?
Nov 09, 2011

I really have no idea if this is fair compensation or not, but I am looking at a job that is an in-house MT job, a 45-minute one-way commute, with full benefits, and the pay is 0.075 cpl.  The job will not come home, and the pay will only increase every year. Any opinions? ...

Does VR Get Better If Kept In-house?
May 16, 2012

Have any of your hospitals purchased a Nuance VR product that they've used for their in-house transcriptionists?  If so, does the VR quality get better and better since you have a limited number of MTs doing the editing?   It's not my hospital but one I know of that's starting with this new product, so I'm not sure of the exact product name.  I've worked for a huge MTSO where the VR never, ever improved in the 9 months I used it; but with soooo many MTs m ...

IN-HOUSE RATE
Mar 25, 2010

Have not worked in-house in over 10 years.  What is the ongoing rate for in-house transcriptionist in California. ...

In-house Postings
Aug 06, 2010

I wonder why companies post on internet job sites for in-house employees?  Why don't they just advertise locally in their community paper, etc. ...

Transcription House
Aug 18, 2010

Does anyone know good or bad about Transcription House ? ...

In-house Job Not So Secure
Aug 23, 2010

My job could be in jeopardy because we might be merging with another clinic, and there are no other local in-house MT openings. I've been working in a specialty clinic (in-house) the past 5-1/2 years. Even though I have 5 years of acute care/radiology experience and 1 year of multi-specialty clinic, and even though I took the M-TEC course and graduated with 98% about 3 years ago, it doesn't matter because I don't have recent acute care experience. Okay, I can unders ...

In-house Clinic Pay
Nov 16, 2010

I have an interview with a local eye clinic (there are six surgeons).  Just wondering what kind of salary to expect to be offered or ask for (!), having been paid as a remote MT/VR Editor by production for many years and haven't a clue about salaries in clinics any more.  It is not as an IC but as member of their staff, permanent, full-time, 40 hours a week. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA.   ...

What Do In-house MTs Make?
Sep 09, 2011

Hi!  I was wondering if anyone knew what the going rate for a MT is in house (central KY)?  Do they get paid btl or hourly?     ...

House Of The Kidney?
Dec 05, 2011

This is a kidney transplant report, and the doc says: "A 6 x 12 double-J stent was placed within the ureter up into the (s/)l house of the kidney."  I looked up this term, but I can't find it with Google.  Any suggestions? Thanks! :) ...

Anyone In Houston Need F/T In-house? (sm)
Feb 22, 2014

MD Anderson Cancer Care in Houston, TX has an opening for MT F/T IN-HOUSE, with salary $39,500 to $47,400 ($19.53 to 24.68 per hour).  Oncology and CMT preferred.  Go to indeed dot com (illegal to post link on this forum) and search for "oncology transcriptionist" and it will come up with link to apply.  ...

Please, MTs That Still Have In-house Jobs. Do Know That
May 31, 2014

ANYTHING to make sure a sale goes through. They tell the hospital those lies so the hospitals can sell you down the river with no guilt. But those are lies. Things WILL change. Then your choice will be, is your compensation, in your opinion, adequate for the amount of energy you put into this job. ...

From In-house To Nuance
Jun 21, 2014

So, my in-house clinic job was outsourced to Nuance. We have been promised that we will work only on that clinic after moving to Nuance.  It is a huge clinic with a lot of doctors.   Has anybody gone through this that can tell me if they keep their promise on that -- where you continue to type your original clinic work?  ...

In-house Christmas Bonuses
Dec 08, 2010

I may have to reconsider working in-house as a medical secretary.  My friend is a PA at a local doctor's office.  They all got their Christmas bonuses last week.  All employees no matter how high up on the chain got between $2,000 and $10,000 bonuses.  Can you believe it??  ...

RE: In-house Versus At Home
Aug 01, 2011

I am excited to say that I have a upcoming job interview to work in-house in behavorial health. I am not real pleased to work in-house and will not get the opportunity to work from home which makes me sad. That said, I am looking forward to steady, stable, income along with health insurance, benefits, and being paid per hour. Guess, I just got tired of not being paid on time, working 7 days a week, etc.  My last check was $200.00/2 weeks which makes me sick because how are you supposed ...