A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Graduate w/some experience - Hopeful MT

Posted: Jan 23, 2012

I am posting because I have spent the past few days reading so many negative things on this board and a few positive things, but am very discouraged about MTing. 

My position is that I have graduated from a school (Career Step) that is accredited and one of the "top 3" I BELIEVE, but am not really sure now (can anyone tell me who those "3" are?). I graduated, but not with honors or high honors, Within one month, I got a wonderful job right out of the gate at a local doctor's office. I had the job for 9 months and was so gloriously happy with all the knowledge I was gaining and being able to work from home, etc. I loved it. I was learning so much and was getting experience in nursing home care, as well as clinical/office visits, workmen's compensation and no fault MVA's. I found it really fascinating. I often giggled at each doctor's "quirks", as well as ripped my hair out with ESL's that were difficult. But I still liked them and had a nice relationship with them. Like anything, there were good days and bad days.

I did not know that this office was looking into VR before they hired me and was later told they made they decision to go with Dragon and just really needed me to clean up their backlog. While finishing up the job, I noticed that many Dragon reports had many errors and I offered to stay on to help edit them. They were not interested. I am now looking for work but am truly disenchanted and gun-shy with the state of affairs and all the negativity I am hearing about MTSO's and how little they are paying. Also, hearing about, India, Epic and such. When studying, I was assured over and over again that this industry would always be needed and it may change but we could adapt and change with it.  

My experience is so little right now.  Even though I HAVE gone to what I believe was a great school and have SOME experience, I do not know what to expect or even look for anymore. My enthusiasm for this profession has been crushed. I would really like to stay at home and work as an MT, but am fearful of the VR problem again and always being worried that my company will be bought out and my jobs sent overseas. I love the job, and find it so fascinating, but cannot survive on what I am hearing people are working (hours) and getting paid. I am considering going to work at a hospital, etc in stead for experience and to prove myself but if they are paying the same thing or are also close to going to VR/outsourcing also, then would the expense be worth it.

I guess while trying to sort these thoughts through my head, and after reading so much here, I wondered if some would be nice enough to share some answers/opinions to my direct questions, maybe some posters will reply that I have never read. (It takes way too much time to go through ALL the threads. I have spent 3 days trying to go through just the recent ones!) I have researched MTSO's online and they all sound great, of course. And I am still researching different ideas to try and be innovative.

After all of my blah blah, my few questions are:

-What are the "top 3" schools?

-are there other MT boards where there is different/possible monitored feedback since I have heard several times that this one is not monitored, is more negative than other sites etc.

-How many years does it take to prove yourself, at this low rate of pay and difficult shifts, that you are a good, reliable worker before finally being considered for better pay for quality work?

-what are your MT experiences working in hospitals, clinics, etc. and are they generally paying the same as MTSO's are paying right now? 

I am not looking for anyone to do the work for me, just trying to see things a little more clearly.

Thanks for listening.

Hopeful MT - DM

[ In Reply To ..]
Have you read the New MTs Board? In my opinion, Old Pro has some great advice there. I sincerely wish you good luck!

Thanks, DM - Hopeful MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have. There is A LOT of info there and I have been going through it trying to decipher what to read through without getting into politics and such. Not enough time for that. Still have not found the "Top 3" listed anywhere but heard Andrews mentioned a lot.
Thanks for taking the the time to respond, DM.

oh! I got the thread you were talking about - Hopeful MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Yeah, I got the thread for Old MT. Thanks! Kept getting rerouted to main board and figured out what I was doing wrong reading posts on New MTs!
Hopeful MT - Jacqueline
[ In Reply To ..]
She was not talking about Old MT. She was talking about Old Pro.
You're welcome! sm - DM
[ In Reply To ..]
While I'm sure Old MT has good advice, I was talking about Old Pro, the retired MT from California. She seems like such a nice lady! :)
My flub - Hopeful MT
[ In Reply To ..]
BIG flub. Read many Old Pro comments through the boards and value their opinion. Sorry about the error, especially to Old Pro.
Hopeful MT - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
No worries! :) Good luck to you.
And to you... - Hopeful MT
[ In Reply To ..]
...retired or not. Best wishes in whatever you are doing. Thanks for the advice and encouragement! :)

You might want to clarify - for yourself

[ In Reply To ..]
why you are seeking information only from people who will relate positive experiences. Do you think people relating negative experiences are lying? Ignoring the information you don't want to hear won't make it go away or make it any less true for the person who experienced it.

In any event, the terms of service of this board do not permit directing anyone to any other websites, so you're going to have to find those on your own.

As to what you should do, you're probably just going to have to take the plunge and start applying to companies and keep at it until you find the one that is the right fit for you. There may be a few false starts, but eventually something will click. One person's bad fit might be just perfect for you, but only you can determine that from personal experience.

Good luck to you.

Thanks for your reply - Hopeful MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Not looking for only positive feedback. Negative is welcome too. But wondered if there were any more positive perspectives out there than the very, very few posters I have seen over the past few days. The ratio of negative perspectives and positive perspectives is frightening. Your time and encouragement is much appreciated.

Looking into local nursing homes, VA hospital, etc but it appears that most of these may be outsourced. Still doing web searching, looking for the right fit. Thanks again.

If you already have some experience... - why are you even wasting time

[ In Reply To ..]
and energy by reading negative posts on a message board? Why not just apply for jobs wherever you find them and see what happens? Even an old timer like myself can get nervous and depressed reading some of the stuff on here, but I take it all with a grain (a very large pinch actually) of salt. Good luck!

enough experience? - Hopeful MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you so much. I guess the experience is what I am worried about most and if I have enough. I went through a school and felt very confident that they taught very well and prepared me for the job market. But the comments on here and most posting for jobs require many years experience, which I do not have. I am hopeful that this experience will be helpful but I am wondering if my schooling (if it is as good as I thought) would count towards or maybe waive some of the 3+ years of experience they are requiring too. I will find out I guess.

I was truly heartbroken when I lost the job I spoke of to VR. But, I am sending some resumes/cover letters out today and tomorrow locally. Finger crossed.

Thanks for your suggestions and encouragement. Greatly appreciated.

Hopeful MT - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
In my view, there is only one school that I will recommend and that is Andrews. Period. And no, I am not and have never been associated with them. I am out of the business now (thanks be to the heavens, but the only grads I would hire without worry were from Andrews.

Old Pro-Andrews - DiggerMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Just curious, why don't you recommend M-TEC? I graduated from there 10 years ago and have been working constantly and feel I received a great education there.

DiggerMT - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Ten years ago--actually up until about a year ago--I heartily recommended M-TEC. I have no experience with them, but have been told by several sources that things have changed from the way they were when you went there. If there is anyone who is a recent or current M-TEC person, perhaps they could enlighten us?

Dear Hopeful - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
...."I was assured over and over again that this industry would always be needed and it may change but we could adapt and change with it."

As a program graduate, I would think you would have benefit of placement service and career counseling made available.

I'd take the time to read what MTs with years and years of experience are reporting. I'd ask my school why excellent transcriptionists with excellent educations and excellent experience would want to leave an industry if things were so full of sunshine. Don't let them play you the disgruntled card. There was a time if there was something you didn't like at one place, you'd have another job by the end of the day.

I'd also look at the crap for compensation (right here 3 cpl VR and 7 cpl typing)and ask my school how many years would it take to be able to make more than I could at McDonald's.

I'd ask myself why would I want to join something that so many want to leave.

This is not an easy job. You will win no prize for "sticking it out" because you spent so much on your education. Cut your losses and move on. MT is not a viable career option.

I am so sorry you will think this negative. I wish someone talked to me like this 30 years ago. I would have taken a different career path and would have been much better off at this point in my life. Yes, I made fabulous money for a long, long time. No more. It's 3 cpl VR and 7 cpl typing. I'm really good, and knowing how hard it is and how much MTSOs make off me, I would not do it for that.

Dear Hopeful - old and frustrated MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have 35 years experience and am making less than I did 15 or 20 years ago. You are young - I would look into another career. Sorry you were promised so much by your school. I'm afraid within the next few years we'll all be editing or working at McD's. The minium wage in my state is over $9 an hour. I do between 200 and 250 lines per hour - but there are days when I'm lucky to get two hours of work. Techology and cheap labor overseas is replacing us. If you are the sole breadwinner I think you need to rethink your future.

Hey Hopeful - A thought

[ In Reply To ..]
Hey Hopeful. If you don't have your heart set on working at home as so many MTs seem to, there might be hope for you. There are more hospitals than you'd think that will hire recent grads if you've got the skills. My hospital, for example, has a fully staffed transcription department, absolutely no VR at all and, while they don't make a constant habit of hiring "walk ins" off the street, they do now and then take a chance on a diamond in the rough if they see the potential.

I will further state that it has been my experience (from the MTs I personally know, and I can't give you an exact number but it's over 20 from around 15 states) when you work local, no one really cares about Andrews (or, for that matter, the infamous BOS). It seems, at least to me and I'm 100% sure a whole lot of people will jump on me to correct me if I'm wrong lol, that it's only services and at home MTs who have to worry about that. We also get paid hourly (really well!) and get benefits. You might want to look into something like that. I know people like to put down "office politics" but to be honest with you...we all sit in out little offices and type all day...there really isn't time for politics. It's a thought.

I love working direct and leaving service work to new MTs to suffer it out - Love my hospital

[ In Reply To ..]
Worked there for many years, but Epic came and we went from doing 20,000 to 30,000 lines per pay period (2 weeks) down to a couple of hundred lines.

So if you work in a hospital, EMR is coming by mandate. It will affect you. You are not safe there either.

My best advice is to get out. There is not enough money being paid with speech wreck - 3 cpl posted at TTD today. Speech wreck did nothing but give services the green light to slash MT wages to the equivalent of a hamburger flipper. There is no savings to the client and the MTs wages are cut by more than two-thirds.

I love my hospital - and my docs!

[ In Reply To ..]
Our EMR has been in place for a few years now and it's not EPIC. It cost our hospital a fortune and they went way over-budget on it. Our docs refuse to do frontend VR. Thank God lol.

Our hospital refuses to shell out more money on the whole EMR deal because what we have works just fine and complies with regs. The docs are happy because the patients are happy.

Not all hospitals go with Epic and the sky doesn't fall everywhere.

There are more doctors than you think that hate sitting around typing or clicking while a patient is being ignored lol

I LOVE MY HOSPITAL AND I LOVE MY DOCTORS, even the ones who aren't the best dictators.
Thanks so much - Hopeful MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Wow. GREAT information to mull over and question potential employers on when going on interviews with places or deciding to get out. I appreciated everyone's input.

Similar Messages:

New Graduate - Experience In Transcription Is Experience
Nov 11, 2009

I am a new graduate and need to find a job! I am also new to this site. I got the site info from a friend that has been doing transcription work for many years. She has given me some leads, but as of now, nothing! It appears that most of these companies wnat 2 or more years experience. Does anyone know how I can start and get some experience? I suppose in anything and not just medical. Experience in transcription is experience, right? ...

New Graduate,need Work How?
Jan 25, 2010

I am a recent graduate of At-Home Professions.  I have posted my resume at several companies but have either not gotten any response or the few that have responded state they are looking for experience.  How can I get hired as a new graduate.  Any help would be appreciated.  ...

Recent Graduate MT
Sep 23, 2010

Hello My name is Stephanie and I am a recent Medical Transcription graduate from Ashworth University in Georgia. I am having a little trouble trying to find a work at home position due to not having any experience, I would like to work from home to be able to be with my 2 1/2 year old daughter. If anyone is willing to help me with this I would really appreciate it. Thank You in advance. ...

Is It Really Possible To Get A CCS As A New Coding Graduate?
Jan 07, 2012

Is it even possible to get a CCS when you are a new coding graduate? ...

New MT Graduate Needs Advice HELP
Nov 28, 2012

I am frustrated at finding employement. I am a recent graduate from Career Steps and I do not know which way to turn. I have spent hours trying to find full-time, part-time employee or independent contractor positions. One company offers a mentoring program, which is more money. Does anyone have advice on these mentoring programs. Any advice on where to go from here would be so appreciated. I am employeed at a hospital currently(have been there 10 years), so I am dependable and loyal. Thanks i ...

New Everett Cc Graduate
Nov 11, 2013

I graduated from Everett CC's MT program in August and took their test prep class to extend my access to Career Step and learn as much as possible before I hit the bricks. My instructor suggested I apply to Nuance, as they hire new grads and have a training period to break them in to their company. Any thoughts? ...

New Graduate Seeking Advice
Oct 24, 2009

I graduated from Career Step’s program in early September. I am becoming very frustrated in my job search, and I thought I would come on here for some motivation. I have been working as a supervisor at a commercial cleaning company since graduating high school in 2002. This job requires attention to detail, time-management abilities, and computer skills. All three of these carry over into the transcription field. Attention to detail is required for checking my crew’s work. Dur ...

Anyone A Graduate Of M-TEC Training Program Or, Know Anyone?
Jan 05, 2010

I'm researching MT training programs & M-TEC seems to be the most recommended & credible, so far.  However, the price is over double the others, I suppose for good reason. Anyone trained w/M-TEC or, have any advice on training programs?  M-TEC, Andrews & Career Step keep popping up. thx so much. ...

Any At-Home-Profession Graduate?
Mar 28, 2010

Hi, I was wondering if their is anyone that has graduated from At-home-professions? And did you find a job right away, what was your thoughts on the school? Because I keep seeing all these posts and I am getting woried since I am in the school right now. Thanks! ...

SUM Program Graduate Eight Years Ago
Aug 12, 2010

I posted yesterday, that I need to get back my transcribing skills after eight years of being out of the profession.  I'm hoping it's like riding a bike and can get back on... Thank you to the one who responded to get the Book of Style and practice.  I ordered the AAMT Book of Style from Amazon as well as a pharmacutical book and transcriptionist desk reference book.  In need a a usb foot pedal.  Anyone have a suggestion on type to buy or is anyone trying to sell o ...

Mentoring A Recent MT Graduate
Apr 26, 2011

Hi! I was wondering if any one out there could mentor me or if they know a company out there does that? I graduated this past February from Kaplan University. I have been looking for job since then and I am unable to find an MT job that I can do from home. If anyone could help I would greately appreciate it. Sincerely, Tracie Hislop ...

New Graduate Ready To Work !!!
Dec 22, 2014

I already have been lucky enough to lock down a job FT Mon-Fri but because I have been unemployed while attending school I am looking for something on weekends to help start saving for making loan payments in the near future as well being able to save a bit. I have tried to apply at TTS and got turned down for not having 5 years acute care experience per contract requirements. I accept that is their requirement. I have also applied with Nuance for Sat/Sun hours. Does anyone know of any other com ...

Using Electronic Resources After You Graduate From MT Classes
Jan 19, 2011

After you got out of MT classes and your subscriptions to your electronic resources expired, did you renew your subscription, use other resources instead, or do without? ...

I Really Hate The Jumping Ballerina Graduate Over There
Jun 09, 2011

lol ...

New Graduate Of Ashworth College's MT Program
Nov 06, 2012

I am a new graduate of Ashworth College's MT program. I am having much difficulty finding employment due to my lack of experience. Can anyone give me any suggestions on companies that hire New grads? ...

New Graduate March 2013 And Unable To Find A MT Job
Aug 24, 2013

I would like to know how anyone who graduates from Career Step and can not find a job for a MT...I am a graduate of March this year however not with honors. But still every job I have read you need three years experience or more. Very upset all the money put out for extensions, etc and it was a waste of life and time.. Any suggestions on places who give graduates a chance?? ...

In Your Experience
Nov 10, 2009

I have seen that some MTs work two or three companies at a time and during the same hours.  Can you tell me if this was working with the same platform and same computer?  ...

Do You Think MT Experience Will Help In Getting An MR Job?
Feb 11, 2010

There is a hospital in my area that has 2 jobs I am interested in, one is a records analyst and the other is a records clerk.  I am definitely ready to start working outside of the home, but I fear my MT experience will not help me much in getting one of these jobs.  I am just wondering what you all think or if I should bother to apply.  I am thinking they are going to want people with hospital experience.  Thanks a bunch for any information!! ...

MD-IT..any Experience?
Apr 12, 2010

Hi.  I was recently hired as an employee with MD-IT.  I filled out all my paperwork, did my computer audit, background check, etc. and was supposed to call at 9:00 a.m. this morning to begin downloading their transcription platform.  Well, I called and got voicemail.  I left a message and have not heard back.  To me, if you have an appointment scheduled, you should be available for that appointment.  I'm sure they would expect nothing less from me.  I real ...

Experience.
Jun 08, 2010

I have been noticing that the experience level required to even get looked at for an MT job has went up. The 2 year experience mark has now went to 3 in most postings, and alot more postings are stating they want a minimum of 5 years. It is an up hill battle in an already hard market but with these kind of requirements I supose the seasoned MT's can rest a little easier and the newbies I guess can look for another line of work. I have already switched my gears and will finish my MA deg ...

Too MUCH Experience?
Jul 23, 2010

I am trying to figure why I never get a call-back on job applications anymore.  For instance I applied at one company who was advertising a week or so ago, I'm sure I did perfectly or almost so on the test, never heard from them, and yet now they are advertising again.   My range is not great, mostly ER and clinic, so maybe this is the issue but I have applied for these positions recently to no avail. I have 16 years experience and I wonder if they think I will want too much ...

How To Get Experience W/o Job & Job W/o Experience?
Sep 18, 2010

it's the old question - how to get acute care experience that everyone wants - when none of the local hospitals are hiring for MT (I've checked).  I could try "cold calling" doctor's offices and see who does their transcription (unless they have some kind of digital chart system - fill in the appropriate boxes on their laptops - I think our family doc uses that system). I actually had "formal" hospital acute care training 11 years ago - so seems like a lifetime ago.  Th ...

Can Anyone Please Tell Me Their Experience With...sm
Nov 22, 2010

eTransPlus?  I am considering sending my resume but can't afford to waste time with yet another joke.    Thanks much! ...

TTD QA Experience Anyone?
Mar 04, 2011

Anyone with any experience with TTD (The Transcription Doctors) in QA-just wondering how QA by the line works, also curious about how this company operates, or anything else that anyone wants to enlighten me on.  Archive information is old  and not that great at times, and would like some up to date information-good or bad.  You may email me if you would like.  Thank you fellow worker bees! ...

My Experience With TTS
May 26, 2011

I just wanted to let anyone who may be interested know what my experience with TTS has been recently.  A job for a Delta Team member was advertised, for which I applied with my resume and cover letter.  It's worth noting here that I meet every qualification in the ad.  The job sounded like it was difficult, but I applied as I wanted a salaried position.  I received an e-mail from *******, the same one who was sent packing from another MTSO last year.  The e-mail gave all sorts of inf ...

No Experience No Job - No Job No Experience
Jul 30, 2011

I'm sure everyone is familiar with the situation of not having enough experience to get a job but not being able to get the experience if you don't get a job.  I have skiills and talent out the wazoo - I've passed numerous transcription tests - and I nearly always get a quick response to my application and resume submission.  HOWEVER, because i've never worked in a hospital and my 10 years of experience was more than three years ago - AND because I that experience w ...

TTS - Your Experience?
Sep 27, 2011

Do they really pay only 7 cents a line??  Unbelievable.  Do they base it on your experience?  Thanks for any feedback. ...

Your Experience?
Oct 27, 2011

Early on, when your experience was nil, how did you handle the struggle of trying to get your line count up while being challenged with ESL dictators as your training deadline date approached? ...

How Can I Get More Experience?
Jul 14, 2012

I was working 40 hours per week as an oncology transcriber until the company I worked for was outsourced by Nuance.  Now, I am trying to find another transcribing job that does not require 2+ years of experience.  I only have about 15 months of experience in oncology.  Does anyone have any idea of how I can get more experience so that I can eventually apply for jobs with 2+ years of experience?  I am willing to work cheap just so that I can get that two years in. ...

New MT....How To Get Experience?
Sep 17, 2012

Hello, I got a certificate from Allied schools that I completed their course for MT. I was under impression that the certificate was so that I could say I was a certified MT. I was wrong I guess. Makes sense.... I am a licensed vet tech and know that I had to take the vet tech boards before getting my certification/license for that. So my question is HOW do I do this? I want my certification and I want to be able to get some experience so I can say I have experience. HELP PLEASE. ...