A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Advising the new coding students or those searching for their first job - is very much appreciated..

Posted: Nov 07, 2012

Coders who post on this board need to remind themselves that it is basically for MTs who are networking. 

A medical transcriptionist who is a coding student or has become a newly certified coder has now learned in the last couple of days that:

1.      MT experience, other than medical knowledge, means nothing in the coding world.  There IS a big difference between school coding and actual work.

2.      The coding you did in school is not what you will encounter on the job.

3.      Claiming years of experience in med terms or A&P will get a "so what" response. They are not hiring you for THAT.

4.      Do not mention having years of experience with A&P.  While this knowledge is a necessary base for coding, it is not the main thing.

5.      Trying to sell yourself based on the A&P experience MTs have is going to make employers think you do not understand your job at all. A physician will just laugh at you.

6.      Do not think that starting at the bottom would be an insult. In reality, nearly everyone who changes careers has to start over from the bottom. Your MT experience is valuable but does not count as coding experience.

7.      Be careful in what you say about your MT experience. Some employers may not feel that your MT experience is very relevant. You might do better if you avoid giving the impression that you think it is.

I think the experienced coders� points and advice have now been well understood by MTs reading the latest posts.  I very much appreciate the time you have taken to offer what you know.  Your delivery is harsh, however, and you are frustrating the coder who is still being educated and the coder who is looking for their first job.  The new student will learn what you are emphasizing by the time they finish their course.  The newly certified coder searching for employment will have a resume that reflects years of medical transcription background/A&P experience and wouldn't need to emphasize that to the interviewer.  An MT surely can deduce that they are starting at the low point of the salary range for coders.  

An experienced coder needs to remember about how the MT profession has been reduced to minimum wage or worse and we MTs are just trying to find another career where we have potential for advancement and increasing our salary.  We are spending the money and time to learn a new profession where that will happen.

You are seeing offense when what was offered was just - what employers think

[ In Reply To ..]
The coders here understand that the MTs are just trying to change careers. We understand why. Many of us were MTs who did the same thing. We made mistakes and see others who made them, and want to help you avoid them.

No, the things we talk about are NOT going to be taught in schools. You are not going to suddenly understand this when you get that diploma. There will be no lesson covering it.

Yes, trying to get a job in coding by emphasizing the wrong things is not going to be as effective as emphasizing the right things. We are trying to help you see what the right things are.

Yes, work coding is a lot different than school coding. You do have a lot to learn on the job. This is a known phenomenon in coding. It is why AHIMA recommends 3 years of work before attempting their cert exams.

Yes, doctors are going to laugh at the belief that you have their knowledge without their training. That A&P course you took may have seemed to be a lot to you, but is not even close to what they know. Just try coding interventional radiology and you will see that.

Instead of taking offense at the advice people have given you, how about considering that they are doing you a favor by coming here to help you.

If your usual approach to advice is to misconstrue it and see a personal attack when none occurred, you might find that approach will keep you from getting a job in coding, where the ability to take advice and correction is valued and necessary. You are going to be audited all the time in coding.

well if MT experience is no help at all - why bother

[ In Reply To ..]
apparently we will be starting completely from scratch and might as well become accountants for all the good our knowledge will do us. Okay duly noted. But how do you know you speak for all employers?

Nobody said it is "no help at all" - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Nobody said MT experience was no help at all. Nobody said you will be starting completely from scratch. Nobody ever said they spoke for ALL employers.

Leaping to extremes on this is another form of assuming the worst. I wish you luck in your new career. Expect no more input from me.
Frustrated from thread below - Not me
[ In Reply To ..]
I posted my question in the thread below and you answered and gave me a lot to think about. I did not post above and hope you continue to support us wannabe coders, I for one appreciate what you said. I don't know why others took offense, but don't let that drive you away, we need all the help we can get.

Think about this . . . - Something closer to home

[ In Reply To ..]
How many times have nurses asked you about MT, saying they know they can do it because of their medical background? They think they can get away with a matchbook course, or no course, because they can type and"understand all that stuff."

If you were an employer looking for an MT, what would you think of an inexperienced applicant who felt they were qualified because they had been a nurse or x-ray tech? Or who felt they deserved a higher salary because they had been a secretary and could type fast?

You would wonder if that person understood the MT job.

Knowledge is important and skills are relevant, but they aren't coding. When you apply for a coding job, you need to apply as a coder.

Answers - Without offense

[ In Reply To ..]
What mistakes did you make?

What is not being taught in schools?

What did you emphasize in trying to get a job in coding?

How would a new coder be trained in your department and how can it be done without interfering with the coders' workload/concentration?

Thank you for putting it out there. - Almostdone

[ In Reply To ..]
I wanted to say thank you for putting that into perspective. I am almost done with my coding course at Andrews and am literally terrified about the thought of being onsite and coding. I do still make mistakes and that's what scares me the most. I really expected to know more (A/P, terminology, procedures, etc. ) by my medical transcription background and have found since doing this course there is so, so, so much that I didn't know and am constantly referencing and looking up things ALL THE TIME and I don't expect that to change after obtaining a job. But the responsibility of this job is defintely not one to take lightly. As stated before I'm almost done with my course and realized much after beginning the course. There were times I wanted to quit because it's a difficult course. I now love it, becaues I love learning more and more about this science of medicine. So, if anyone is looking to get out of MT and you think you would like coding then DO IT. All the experienced coders who are coming in this site giving us information are NOT trying to dissuade you from doing it. They are merely trying to give as best a picture as they can before you commit to training. And yes, in some ways it is like starting all over! Because once we get out of school there is going to be a lot more things we are going to have to know. Be open for constant learning, more so than transcribing. I've learned so much more with this course than I ever did in my medical transcription course and on the job.
Good luck in your decisions and don't take what the experienced coders post on here as a personal attack because they are really only trying to help.

PJ

MT to coder - enjoy medical field

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, I am also a MT going to school for coding. I am aware that my MT experience will not forward me in my coding career, but I am also aware that my MT experience helps me to understand my coding classes better than someone with no medical experience. Also, having typed operative notes, x-ray reports, pathology reports, psych evals, H&Ps, etc. for years, this most definitely does help me have a better understanding of which code to choose. I have also worked in HIM departments before doing chart analysis and other clerical duties. I love the medical field, medical language, and I did not want to "lose" everything I had learned over 20 years, and I think that coding is a natural career to think of transitioning to when a MT is leaving the MT industry. Just my opinion. I do take the comments here "with a grain of salt." I do not see how having MT experience would be a negative to someone applying for a coding position.

MT frustrating work - enjoy medical field

[ In Reply To ..]
I also just found out a couple of hours ago that we have lost several MT accounts to another company (who outsources overseas)and that I may not have a job in a couple of weeks. I am grateful that I am in school to get away from the MT world. It has served me very well in the past. I have no regrets, but I am so thankful that I'll be finished school in a couple of months. Then, I will have the daunting task of finding a job in coding with no experience. But, at least there is light at the end of that tunnel where as in my opinion the MT field is not going anywhere anymore.

No one said that MT experience was a negative - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Agree with everything you said except that nobody ever said that MT experience was a negative when applying for a job. In fact, it can be an asset if you present it for what it DOES give you an edge with . . . especially familiarity with medical documentation and the ability to figure out the content of reports.

I believe that someone recommended against using 30 years experience with A&P through MT for a job.

MT to coder - RadMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I was a transcriptionist (still am) for 25+ years and obtained my CPC-A over a year ago. I have applied to everyone/every place, even entry level billing jobs, and cannot get hired. I was very realistic in my expectations but have now pretty much given up on finding a coding position. I live in California, it might be different in other states. I'll also add that I have billing/coding experience also, not straight transcription on my resume. I wouldn't spend the money again for the coding course had I know what I know now.

If you are referring to what I wrote... - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Perhaps I need to apologize, I did not mean to offend anyone. I was an MT who studied coding and became certified and did the job search thing for 2 years, so I am speaking from experience and trying to help those who will be beginning their search. I'm working in an abstracting/chart review position because I could not get hired as a coder without experience, which is why I suggested keeping your options open and not ruling out other HIM opportunities, everything you do is an opportunity to learn. I'm paid well, so taking a non-coding job does not necessarily mean a lesser salary. I needed a job and didn't have the luxury of turning my nose up at much of anything. My experience was that being an MT did not mean much when applying for non-MT jobs. I'm a smart cookie and know anatomy and physiology and terminology really well, but in coding it is understood that you know those things, in fact it is a given and does not need to be emphasized. From reading these posts, I am not getting the impression that new coders expect to make less than their more experienced counterparts. Someone seemed insulted at the thought of working for $13 an hour.

Again, I apologize to all if I sounded harsh, but I wish I knew then what I know now, and I would have appreciated someone being honest with me. Good luck to all the new students/coders with your future plans.

Similar Messages:

Coding :: Age Restriction On New Coding Students?
Apr 15, 2014

Anyone know if MM has an age restriction on new coding students? ...

Coding Students
May 19, 2013

I am just wondering if any other coding students sometimes feel so overwhelmed, especially trying to work full time and study. I knew going into this that it wasn't going to be easy. One thing I have learned through all of this is that, yes there is a code for that, but you need to learn how to find it (even if it doesn't make one bit of sense)! :) ...

Question For Coding Students
Jul 17, 2013

I'm looking into different coding programs. A local community college is teaching ICD-10, while Career Step, for example, is teaching ICD-9, but offering a "free ICD-10 FastTrack course to prepare you for the transition to ICD-10." Is it odd that Career Step is still teaching primarily ICD-9? What about Andrews? How are they handling this transition? ...

Andrews Coding Students
Dec 15, 2013

How long did it take you to finish the coding course? Thanks. ...

Coding Students, Does Your Course Require You...
Jan 27, 2014

to buy books with or without answers? Mine requires books w/o answers, which I find odd since there isn't an answer key posted or anything to find out if you've got the right answer. Pretty weird in my opinion.  ...

My Dream Job And A Question For Coding Students
Jun 08, 2010

I just found this listing for a coder in my area. I think this is the kind of coder position I want when I: A) enroll in a coding program, B) graduate, C) get certified and D) get enough experience. Here is my question: Are you learning software like what is mentioned below: Vision, Logician and Coding? Or would one probably learn those on the job at entry level? Advertised Position: This position will specialize in Primary Care. Consults with physicians and their practices on Coding protocol ...

Any Students In Coding Courses Found Mistakes?
May 21, 2012

I am almost done with a course that was put together by the credentialing organization.  Now that I am almost done, I have gathered my notes on the course inconsistencies and incorrect answers to submit my comments to them so this doesn't happen to the next student.  I would like to hear the coders' and students' thoughts on this. Doesn't someone take the entire course and fix/correct BEFORE it is offered as a course?  ...

Andrews Coding Grads/students: Questions
Feb 03, 2015

Okay, I wrote the previous post, but I have a few more questions. Any help is appreciated. How much does the coding program cost? How long did it take you to complete, full-time or part-time? Did you feel job-ready when you finished the course? Are there any hidden fees for exams, etc.? If you went the Andrews for MT as well, how would you compare the intensity of the two courses?   I did attend Andrews for medical transcription 8 years ago, and I loved the program then. That is why ...

Been Searching And Searching And Cannot Find
Apr 05, 2010

The patient has a few-month history of thigh pain and numbness.  Overall, I suspect the symptoms are likely secondary to radicular origin associated with his L4-5 spondylosis with foraminal narrowing.  However, other causes including meralgia paresthetica or diabetic s/l amioxi should be excluded.   I appreciate any help you guys can offer!  Thanks :) ...

Any VLC Students Out There?
Dec 22, 2009

Are any other VLC students out there hearing anything from VLC?  (See my earlier post...)  My emails don't seem to be getting through, I can't get hold of them on the phone - just voicemail - and they've not returned the message I left.  Two assignments I sent 9 days ago have not been reviewed.  $1500 for this course was way too much to be left in the air like this, never mind the 18 months of work for nothing!  Their forums are down so I� ...

How Many MT Students Do You Think There Are?
Mar 27, 2011

I know that there are a lot of programs, but does anyone know how many actual students there are or new graduates each year?  Will there be enough jobs to support that many students/new grads or will there not be enough new MTs to fill positions? I am very curious about this as I am considering medical transcription and the information out there is confusing. ...

Question For New Students
Jun 06, 2010

There was a rash of new coders signing up for coding courses down below.  How is it going?  We would love to hear from you about what you are experiencing so far.   ...

Andrews Students...
Feb 06, 2012

For those of you who are past or present Andrews students... how did you/are you paying for your course? I know you can either put a down payment or pay in full.  Just curious, thanks. ...

Job Searching
Dec 28, 2009

I have been recently sending out my resume along with inquiring whether certain companies I am interested in are currently hiring.  About 90% have not had even the courtesy to acknowledge receiving the e-mail.  I am wondering if anyone also recently looking has had this problem and if anyone knows if companies not hiring generally keep this info on file or does it make sense in a month or two to recontact.  I can certainly tell the market has cha ...

Keep Searching
Jun 23, 2011

As I was reading through a lot of the depressing posts I thought I would share my experience. I have been an MT for almost 4 years. I was with the same company for almost 3 as an IC. I worked part-time to stay home with my kids. I completely agree with others about how hard it can be with the being in work mode all the time and the ups and downs. At the time I wasn't the sole provider though. However my husband got laid off the beginning of this year and I started to look for full-time ...

Searching Again
Oct 12, 2010

Does anyone know of a company hiring that supports both satellite and 64-bit windows Vista?  Just found out my hospital is keeping their work inhouse as of the end of this month:( ...

Any Andrews Students Or Grads?
May 08, 2010

I wondered if there are any current coding students or graduates from Andrews around?  I'm close to enrolling in their coding program, and I would really love to hear from others who have taken the course.  ...

For Other Andrews Students In Module III
May 18, 2012

Hi you all, I hope there are some students in module III who are in the case studies or have graduated that can answer my question.  I have just gotten into the intermediate case studies and am feeling totally LOST! I don't know if I am being intimidated or what.  The multiple choice ones I don't have any problem with, but when I have to code the cases without the choices i'm floundering!  It's funny how I thought I would remember a lot, but when it comes ...

Been Job Searching For 2 Months...
Nov 27, 2009

With no luck. Sent tons of resumes and taken tests without many replies.  I'm starting to get worried now. ...

When Searching For A New Employer
Nov 25, 2010

Check with the BBB.  They shouldn't just have NO activity, but be part of the ongoing audit, not just boast they have had NO activity.  Heck, I have had no activity!!!  It is only as good as what is submitted. You may have been in business 10+ years but screwed people over 5+ years of that time.  If no one reports you, the activity continues.... Watch RIPOFF reports.  They do not lie.  Unfortunately, not enough people file these reports so some of us are ...

Job Searching And New At IC And Testing.
Feb 28, 2013

I know these things have probably been covered before here, but could someone please give me some general advice on what it is to be an IC?  Do you just send the IRS a quarterly payment and that's it?  What about Social Security and matching?  I have always done my own taxes, but I am in new territory here and probably will need a tax preparer now, but until then..... Also, when testing for companies, I find I cannot use my foot pedal with some.  How can I do that?  ...

Wow, I Was Just Searching The Internet For An
Dec 15, 2014

and came up with a listing for it on eBay. I wonder if you get any discount on your hospital bill if it is bidding on your surgical equipment on eBay, or even if you can bring your own.  Forget high surgeon fees, this stuff is radically expensive!!! ...

Searching For School
May 21, 2015

I am in Southwest Washington looking for accredited coding/billing school. should i do online or in class? im brand new at this...please help! ...

Newbies And Students - About AHDI Credentials ...
Jan 06, 2010

A certificate of completion (of your course or education program) does not make you a CMT. The AHDI (Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity) offers 2 different credentials:  RMT (for those with less experience) and CMT.   Both credentials require passing a challenge exam and continuing education credits to maintain (every 3 years).  If you think that it doesn't matter whether you obtain an RMT or CMT credential through the AHDI, just think of it this way:&n ...

$11/hour For HS Students In Summer Jobs
Oct 14, 2011

Are we worth more than a high school student in a temporary summer job because $11/hour is what they get paid in at least one of the cities here.  Pretty sad, isn't it? ...

Needing Help About Searching People
Sep 13, 2010

I know someone who needs to be checked on and every time I google free public record search, it takes me to a PAY site.  Can anyone direct me to a FREE site to search public records?  TIA ...

Strategies In Job Searching For A New MT Grad
Feb 20, 2011

Does anyone have any strateges for job searching as  new MT grad?  I am willing to do general transcription work. ...

Searching For Doctors In Fluency
May 13, 2013

Is it me or is this more of a pain recently? Seems like the specialities are not listed and instead it just says medicine so it is really hard to find some doctors, and the search by just specialty just doesn't work anymore? I've had to go into the hospital websites several times today to find a doc by the specialty, cause God forbid they spell the off the wall names. ...

Any Other VLC Students Having Problems With Accessing Grades,forums Etc.
Dec 23, 2009

Haven't got any feedback from instructors in weeks and any emails to them are returned with "permanent fatal errors". Found 2 other students with the same problem as of today. Would like to know if there are any others. If anyone is affiliated with the VLC school on here I would greatly appreciate some answers. I'm getting really frustrated because I'm nearing the end of the course and have invested $1500.oo and almost 2 years of my time. To wind up with nothing to show for it at ...

Another Question About Searching In The Company Board
Nov 12, 2009

When I try to search for some company that has very common words in it like "Transcription Unlimited" my results are really not what I'm looking for - like posts about unlimited long-distance calls.  Is there a way around this problem? ...