A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

For other Andrews students in Module III - scatterbrain

Posted: May 18, 2012

Hi you all,

I hope there are some students in module III who are in the case studies or have graduated that can answer my question.  I have just gotten into the intermediate case studies and am feeling totally LOST! I don't know if I am being intimidated or what.  The multiple choice ones I don't have any problem with, but when I have to code the cases without the choices i'm floundering!  It's funny how I thought I would remember a lot, but when it comes down to it, I'm starting to feel stressed and pressured.  Have you felt this way or did you have a great grasp on it from the get-go? 

TIA

You may have the wrong idea of what to do. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
A couple of things come to mind. First, are you the same student who has been going through the course by answering multiple choice questions "backwards" instead of actually CODING the scenario in the question? Someone here posted about that recently. They had been answering multiple choice questions using the shortcut of looking up each choice and reasoning out which sounded most correct. If so, or if you have done anything similar, the chickens may have come home to roost. You would have trouble with things you actually had to code because you circumvented coding basic scenarios. You did not learn what to do. You would not have larned the steps involved in coding something.

Another possibility is that going to more complex examples is requiring a stretch in terms of what to do. More effort is required for more complex coding. Every time you do something you have not done before, you will need to stretch to do it. That means doing something new for which you do not have the skills. You have to LEARN what to do and develop those skills by doing it.

Before, you may have just coded things so simple that you just had to look up a code or two. Now you may have to read more, figure out what to code, then look them up. If you cheated on the multiple choices, you didn't learn even the easiest process. If you did the easy ones the right way, you may just be feeling the scariness of seeing that you need to stretch and figure out something more.

I am also wondering what you mean by the multiple choice being fine but you are having trouble now because you aren't remembering a lot. What are you thinking you should remember???

That is an important question because that, more than anything else, tells me you may be barking up the wrong tree. You may have the totally wrong idea of what coding requires.

Are you trying to remember the CODES? Nobody can do that. That isn't even useful. You have a code book so you can look them up.

Trying to remember the GUIDELINES? Again, look them up. Eventually they will become second nature to you. That only happens if you keep looking them up and applying them. They are in the front of your code book so you can look them up.

Trying to remember how to code particular diseases? Again, look it up.

Nearly everything you need to know is IN the code book. Just look it up. USE the code book.

The more you look up, the more you will remember. You have to DO coding to get good at it. You have to practice it.

If the larger examples stump you, you are not breaking them down. They ARE bigger than multiple choice. There are no MC in real life coding. You actually have to figure out what to code and then code it. Break it down. Read over the scenario. Identify the diagnoses. Make a list of them. Look them up. Read what the code book says and do what it tells you. For procedures, it is the same. Read and identify what it was. Look it up. Compare what you have with the codes. Go back and forth comparing the case and the code book until you have gotten it sorted out.

Coding is not impossible, but every time you need to stretch your skills it will seem that you don't know enough. That produces anxiety. Just recognize that and . . . deal with it. Stop focusing on it. Do not make it into an obstacle.

Coding is figuring things out. You are able to do that. Not everyone is, but I can tell from your writing that you are. Just do the work of figuring it out.

I want to say one more thing about remembering things. It may help you see the point. I have known coders who see a procdure and just look it up, figuring it out, reading about it, etc. They
think THAT is the job. Thinking that, they just do it. You almost never hear from them. The most they ever ask is for you to make sure they got it right. They usually know they did.

I have also known coders who expect someone to tell them how to code everything. Every time they see something new, they ask how to code it. I have actually seen them balk at using a code book. "That takes too much time. Just tell me and I'll know." "Oh, don't make me read this. It takes too long. You know I don't like reading." They complain constantly that the doctors are unclear--never noticing that everybody else seems to be able to figure it out. No matter how much training they get, they never assume respomsibility for their work because no amount of training is enough to suit them. They never know if they are correct. Their response to errors is that they were told to do it that way.

The difference is that the first coder does the work while the second does not. If you do the work of your learning now, you will become the first type of coder.

I am the "backwards" coder - Not the OP

[ In Reply To ..]
I am also in Module III and I am having fun with the case questions. My analytical skills are fine, I can break things down into components and code what I need to code, and learn from my mistakes. Things are not "coming home to roost" for me. I can do both types of questions, multiple choice and case study questions. They just require different types of reasoning. Please do not lecture me or the OP on how we learn. We all have our own way of learning, reasoning things out. We are students like you were at some point, feeling our way along, just needing a little encouragement along the way.

Thank you Not the OP - scatterbrained

[ In Reply To ..]
I do want to thank the both of you for posting your posts. I think the "scariness" of the whole process and knowing I am in the home stretch of the program is getting to me. I want to be FANTASTIC at coding and I have to say it still is a bit intimidating. I do feel in a lot of instances I had to rush through some of the things. Mainly, because of having a full time job and 2 little ones. I try to squeeze in time when I have my kids napping and then my husband has medical issues that require attention and I have just felt so stressed and not able to put in as much as I want in studying. I also realize that in a job situation I will still have to care for my family, but it is just different than being home with them all of the time.

I think I just wanted to know if anyone else was feeling a little intimidated and second guessing yourselves. I love this program, don't get me wrong. I am just feeling a little overwhelmed.

Thanks again :)
You are worrying too much. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Stop worrying. If nothing I said fit, then you are probably fine.

It is normal to feel unsure, but you need to just stop letting those fears and concerns bother you. They are just distracting you and causing anxiety.

Your program was planned to give you what you need. Even if you feel that you do not have a grip on things, you are where you should be. It will all come together eventually.

In a post below, someone remarked that maybe the corse was planned that ay. It was planned to avoid the failings that occur in other coding programs. It was not planned to cause you to be unsure. That is just the way coding seems to be. Things will start coming togeher for you soon, but it will take a few years on the job before you really find that you have a handle on it. It took me 2 years to the day for things to gel. Many coders tell me the same thing happened to them.

That is true of many occupations. Education gives you the basics. You learn the rest on the job.

Coding IS overwhelming. It is not the course itself but the subject that is overwhelming. Be glad it is, too, because that is what drives away the crowds that would lower salaries.

Just be aware of that and keep going. Stop worrying and stop fretting. You will do fine.

Take up tai chi or long walks or short walks or something to help with the anxiety.

module III - jm

[ In Reply To ..]
What you have to do is just go through the cases and work them through. You are still learning so you will not get them all perfect or get every diagnosis, but that is how you will learn. Are you working in the CCW? That is the best teaching tool. Go through the cases, code what you find, and then read the why and how of the correct/incorrect answers and that is how you will learn. Then go through again and see how you missed it. There is a LOT to coding and some of those cases seem difficult. The main thing I would say is don't be afraid or intimidated, dig right in, drill down. No, I felt no grasp from the get go! We all want to get it right away, but this is a process. That is why they have you write out your self-evals, if they still do that. You are in the same boat as everyone who learns coding. Do not fear!

Yes, they still do that - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
"That is why they have you write out your self-evals, if they still do that."

They still do that. It's amazing how much it teaches you when you go through that process.

Module III - Overwhelmerd

[ In Reply To ..]
I, too, felt overwhelmed when starting Module III and realized I just needed to work through it and see how the exams turned out. It certainly helped me when I started to break down each paragraph and look for things that were relevant to the case and then tried to figure out if it was appropriate to code and then looked for the code. Sometimes it felt right and other times it didn't; it's a learning process for sure.

Similar Messages:

Andrews Students...
Feb 06, 2012

For those of you who are past or present Andrews students... how did you/are you paying for your course? I know you can either put a down payment or pay in full.  Just curious, thanks. ...

Any Andrews Students Or Grads?
May 08, 2010

I wondered if there are any current coding students or graduates from Andrews around?  I'm close to enrolling in their coding program, and I would really love to hear from others who have taken the course.  ...

Andrews Coding Students
Dec 15, 2013

How long did it take you to finish the coding course? Thanks. ...

Andrews Coding Grads/students: Questions
Feb 03, 2015

Okay, I wrote the previous post, but I have a few more questions. Any help is appreciated. How much does the coding program cost? How long did it take you to complete, full-time or part-time? Did you feel job-ready when you finished the course? Are there any hidden fees for exams, etc.? If you went the Andrews for MT as well, how would you compare the intensity of the two courses?   I did attend Andrews for medical transcription 8 years ago, and I loved the program then. That is why ...

Last Exam For Module I
Aug 20, 2012

So excited!  Submitted the last exam for Module I today - only 3 more modules to go.  I love, love, love school and am learning so much.  I hear CPT codes are clear as but, I will see how it goes before coming to that conclusion.  ...

Mandatory Learning Module
Oct 08, 2013

Anyone else get an email today requiring them to do a mandatory learning module? At least they're paying. ...

ADHI's Acute Care Module
Jan 29, 2012

I saw that ADHI offers an acute care module for those of us looking to get into acute care transcription. I have been doing OBGYN. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it worth it? ...

Any RAD MTs Who Use Viztek Opal Rad Dictation/Trans Module...I Have A Question.
Apr 21, 2015

I cannot seem to configure my foot pedal.  My foot pedal works, but I cannot seems to set the auto backspace.  I change it on the user settings screen and save it, but it doesn't actually save.  Anyone know how to do this? ...

Any VLC Students Out There?
Dec 22, 2009

Are any other VLC students out there hearing anything from VLC?  (See my earlier post...)  My emails don't seem to be getting through, I can't get hold of them on the phone - just voicemail - and they've not returned the message I left.  Two assignments I sent 9 days ago have not been reviewed.  $1500 for this course was way too much to be left in the air like this, never mind the 18 months of work for nothing!  Their forums are down so I� ...

How Many MT Students Do You Think There Are?
Mar 27, 2011

I know that there are a lot of programs, but does anyone know how many actual students there are or new graduates each year?  Will there be enough jobs to support that many students/new grads or will there not be enough new MTs to fill positions? I am very curious about this as I am considering medical transcription and the information out there is confusing. ...

Question For New Students
Jun 06, 2010

There was a rash of new coders signing up for coding courses down below.  How is it going?  We would love to hear from you about what you are experiencing so far.   ...

Coding Students
May 19, 2013

I am just wondering if any other coding students sometimes feel so overwhelmed, especially trying to work full time and study. I knew going into this that it wasn't going to be easy. One thing I have learned through all of this is that, yes there is a code for that, but you need to learn how to find it (even if it doesn't make one bit of sense)! :) ...

Question For Coding Students
Jul 17, 2013

I'm looking into different coding programs. A local community college is teaching ICD-10, while Career Step, for example, is teaching ICD-9, but offering a "free ICD-10 FastTrack course to prepare you for the transition to ICD-10." Is it odd that Career Step is still teaching primarily ICD-9? What about Andrews? How are they handling this transition? ...

Coding Students, Does Your Course Require You...
Jan 27, 2014

to buy books with or without answers? Mine requires books w/o answers, which I find odd since there isn't an answer key posted or anything to find out if you've got the right answer. Pretty weird in my opinion.  ...

Newbies And Students - About AHDI Credentials ...
Jan 06, 2010

A certificate of completion (of your course or education program) does not make you a CMT. The AHDI (Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity) offers 2 different credentials:  RMT (for those with less experience) and CMT.   Both credentials require passing a challenge exam and continuing education credits to maintain (every 3 years).  If you think that it doesn't matter whether you obtain an RMT or CMT credential through the AHDI, just think of it this way:&n ...

My Dream Job And A Question For Coding Students
Jun 08, 2010

I just found this listing for a coder in my area. I think this is the kind of coder position I want when I: A) enroll in a coding program, B) graduate, C) get certified and D) get enough experience. Here is my question: Are you learning software like what is mentioned below: Vision, Logician and Coding? Or would one probably learn those on the job at entry level? Advertised Position: This position will specialize in Primary Care. Consults with physicians and their practices on Coding protocol ...

$11/hour For HS Students In Summer Jobs
Oct 14, 2011

Are we worth more than a high school student in a temporary summer job because $11/hour is what they get paid in at least one of the cities here.  Pretty sad, isn't it? ...

Advising The New Coding Students Or Those Searching For Their First Job
Nov 07, 2012

Coders who post on this board need to remind themselves that it is basically for MTs who are networking.    A medical transcriptionist who is a coding student or has become a newly certified coder has now learned in the last couple of days that: 1.      MT experience, other than medical knowledge, means nothing in the coding world.  There IS a big difference between school coding and actual work. 2.      The ...

Any Other VLC Students Having Problems With Accessing Grades,forums Etc.
Dec 23, 2009

Haven't got any feedback from instructors in weeks and any emails to them are returned with "permanent fatal errors". Found 2 other students with the same problem as of today. Would like to know if there are any others. If anyone is affiliated with the VLC school on here I would greatly appreciate some answers. I'm getting really frustrated because I'm nearing the end of the course and have invested $1500.oo and almost 2 years of my time. To wind up with nothing to show for it at ...

Any Students In Coding Courses Found Mistakes?
May 21, 2012

I am almost done with a course that was put together by the credentialing organization.  Now that I am almost done, I have gathered my notes on the course inconsistencies and incorrect answers to submit my comments to them so this doesn't happen to the next student.  I would like to hear the coders' and students' thoughts on this. Doesn't someone take the entire course and fix/correct BEFORE it is offered as a course?  ...

WebmedX Buys School - Lets All MTs Go - STUDENTS Doing Work/no Pay?
Oct 10, 2010

I am guessing with the low quality I see that 10:1 they let a plethora of MTs go right AFTER acquiring an MT SCHOOL so that they could have the students do the work as required work for th program and not pay them.  Some of the reports I see look like they were done by a 7-year-old or someone for whom English is a second language. ...

Andrew Students. Just Wondering If You Would Like To Share What Grades You Are Getting On The Codin
Dec 04, 2011

Id Like To Hear If Any Career Step Students Passed The AHIMA Exam?
May 09, 2010

Im impressed with Career Step but wonder, can they really prepare me for the AHIMA exam? ...

Caution To Students And New Grads - Scam Alert - Do MT Work (Internship) For Free
Mar 10, 2011

There is still another scam company out there offering to help "train" students and graduates. They will kindly let you do their real work, the work clients are paying them for. This is unacceptable and unethical. It will not look good on your resume because potential employers do not look kindly on this. If, for example, they find out that you did your 'internship' with XYZ Company, you will probably never know the reason why your resume was rejected or tossed.  Working for free ...

Coding :: Age Restriction On New Coding Students?
Apr 15, 2014

Anyone know if MM has an age restriction on new coding students? ...

M Tec Or Andrews?
Jun 03, 2010

I am an LPN looking into the field of MT.  I am tired of standing on my feet for 2-3 hour med passes and lifting and turning patients.  I am ready to work hard from home.  I understand that both M Tec and Andrews are great schools.  Is one better then the other?  How do experienced MT's feel about the two? Thanks!!  ...

Andrews
Oct 06, 2012

I'm considering Andrews coding, but would love some feedback for those who enrolled that had no medical or MT background. I have very little medical background and it seems the MT's are favored as they are more familiar with terminology.  For those enrolled how do you like the course?  Do you find the course interesting?  I already know its challenging! Thanks for any info you can provide! ...

Andrews Or CCO??
Feb 05, 2015

I'm trying to do as much research as possible into changing careers from MT to coding, and I've narrowed down my two choices of schools to Andrews and CCO (CodingCertificate.Org).  According to CCO's website, they now offer courses that will prepare you to take the CCS exam.  I've heard positive things about CCO, but I've also heard positive things about Andrews, and how thorough it is, but also that it's very difficult.  I would love to hear either f ...

Just Enrolled At Andrews!
May 11, 2010

Okay, so after much debate and research, I enrolled in Andrews course for coding yesterday! :)  Now I'm just waiting for my materials to arrive, reading over my 1st set of instructions, and trying to navigate my way through loads of information on the student forum.  All I can say is WOW.  I think this course is going to be wonderful and very challenging.  I'm actually a bit overwhelmed at the moment! LOL!  But I'm excited!     ...

Linda Andrews?
May 23, 2010

When this board first started up Linda was on here quite often but haven't seen her in a while.  Oh well, just noticing.  Wow, this board has taken off! ...