A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

OTI/Oracle...why do I have to work weekends when there's NO work? - me in e

Posted: Apr 23, 2011

I had a feeling this would happen as I've been low in work all week.  I'm tired of waiting for reports to fall from the sky this evening.  I'm tired of no work the rest of the week too.

I have had plenty of work .. lots of ERs. Sorry for you, though ... have BTDT. nm - Colorado MT

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Silly Rabbit! If you don't have work, you DON'T have to work!! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Nobody said you HAD to work. They asked if you WOULD work. If you don't have any work you can't, so chill!

Chill? - You still have to sit and wait for the work.

[ In Reply To ..]
The problem is we are expected to sit and wait for the work, just in case 1 report should come in. Sounds like someone needs a CHILL pill.

NO you DON'T. If there's no work, I don't sit and wait.....sm - OTIer

[ In Reply To ..]
I've worked for OTI for over 10 years and I have never just sat and waited for the work. If there's no work, there's no work, so I just stop.

Re: Chill - Some info - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
If they are making you sit and wait, keep a log of how much time (exact to the minute) you havt to sit and wait. Show it to the Labor Board and make a claim for the time spent waiting for work. Save all documents, contracts, e-mails, etc. that reference your having to sit and wait for work. If they expect this of you, they have to pay you for the time. Good luck.
YOU DON"T HAVE TO SIT AND WAIT!!! See message. - OTIer
[ In Reply To ..]
They don't ask you to sit and wait for work. All they ask is whether you will be working that day. If there is no work, obviously you don't have to work. There are no "documents, contracts, e-mails, etc. that reference your having to sit and wait for work." They DO NOT expect you to do that.

Trust me! I have been working for them for years. And no, I am not management or even close.
This doesn't eliminate the complaint - ME
[ In Reply To ..]
Of course they might not have to STAY on if there is no work, but that doesn't change the fact they made themselves available for the whole shift OR that they will not earn anything for said shift.

So go watch TV, clean house, go shopping. If there's no work, DON'T WORK!! - OTIer
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't and have never had a problem.
ME - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
You are absolutely right, and "waiting for work" is actionable with a Labor Board complaint.
I believe we are all ICs...Does that still apply? - OTIer
[ In Reply To ..]
I could be wrong, and correct me if I am, but I believe we are all ICs meaning if there's no work, then there's no work. Just keep checking back periodically to see if any has come through. I don't believe as an IC the Labor Board can do anything.

Again, if I'm incorrect, please feel free to correct me; this is just my understanding of how being an IC works.

Hope things pick up for you soon.
OTIer - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
If the company is REQUIRING you to sit and wait, they are, in effect, telling you when to do the work; they are taking your time, and they need to pay for it. Under the IRS Tax Code, I would question if you are truly an IC under these circumstances. You would need to talk to either the Labor Board or a tax attorney. I know that if I have ever had someone sit and wait to do work for me, I paid them for them.
No, I have never been told to sit and wait (SM) - OTIer
[ In Reply To ..]
In fact, although I haven't been with OTI very long, I doubt they would ask anyone to sit and wait. They do send out emails about 3-4 times a day with a list of accounts and how much work is available on each one and occasionally if an account is backed up and in danger of going out of TAT, they'll send an email indicating if you'd like to jump on, there's plenty to go around. I never feel pressured by their emails; they're more informative than anything.

However, my other employer (where I am an employee and not an IC) is notorious for having no work yet expecting you to sit chained to the old ball and chain for your entire shift. If OTI were an employee position with bennies, I'd ditch the other job in a heartbeat and just stick with OTI, LOL!

Different accounts perhaps - OTIer

[ In Reply To ..]
I was hired for that big new account a few months ago and initially I did run out of work a few times; however, since then I've never run out of work (knock wood, LOL!). I'm actualy loving the account, love the managerial style (left alone to do our work with the only emails being those that update how much work is available on each account), and can in all honesty say I'm loving it and am glad I didn't bail when work was low for awhile.

I hope things pick up for you, I really do. I've BTDT when it comes to a company not having enough work (MDI-MD towards the end) and it makes life extremely stressful, so I know exactly where you're coming from.

Busy - dmz

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm always busy on the new account also and love it. I've checked out other places part-time, but their platforms aren't as good and it is cumbersome for the uploads and filling in each piece of information on the ADT screen - I have found the "grass isn't always greener" and am staying put. :)

OTIer - Ex-MDI also

[ In Reply To ..]
What made the MDI debacle so upsetting for me was not only the fact that there was no work, but that no one at MDI would tell us the truth. They strung us along for as long as we were needed, never mind that some people nearly lost their homes.

I agree - OTIer

[ In Reply To ..]
Even when it was blatantly clear something was amiss and there was no work, we were lied to countless times and encouraged to hang in there, "huge" account coming through, etc., when all along they knew their MTs trusted them and were believing their shovelfuls of falsehoods. Boy, did that situation ever open my eyes.

OTI is probably the lowest pressure IC position I've had in awhile. No cumbersome platforms, everyone with whom I've dealt have been professional and friendly, I'm left alone to do my work, and their QA people are the best...no condescending, patronizing, snippiness, etc.

I intend to stay put here for as long as humanly possible. Like I said, I gave brief thought to moving along at first when it appeared the work had dried up, but I'm breathing a sigh of relief that I didn't as things have worked out very nicely for those of us on this account.
Glad I waited it out, too - Ex-MDI(/Transcend) as well
[ In Reply To ..]
I had actually contacted my prior job about coming back, having been told I was eligible for rehire and to get back in touch with them should things not work out. Thank goodness they haven't changed and ignored me LOL

Similar Messages:

TAT On Weekends
Feb 04, 2013

Is it just me or has the work gotten out of control across the board on weekends?  It seems like there are lots more S.O.S. e-mails since the merger.  I wonder if people quitting is the reason?  Then again, it could be a combination of that plus the fact that treating us MTs like peons without any say is coming back to bite the higher-ups  in their proverbial buttocks (that's MT for butts).  I know MY motivation to help out on demand when th ...

Weekends Only
Jul 19, 2014

Are there only companies that hire for weekends only?  ...

Mandatory Weekends....why?
Apr 09, 2011

Why do MTSOs require weekend coverage for every one of their accounts? I have 2 and have work up the yin yang during the week but come Saturday, I'm watching paint dry. My MTSO requires 1 weekend day, at least 4 hours. I changed my weekend shift TWICE to work during the "busy" dictation times and I'm still NJA. Now that it's getting nicer outside, I've got plans and wanna have a life again. The higher ups get off every weekend, why can't we, or at least rotate? I do ...

S.O.S. E-mails On Weekends
Dec 15, 2013

Why are we always expected to work extra and catch up on overdue work on the weekends that builds up because there's not enough coverage? Here's an idea:  schedule and/or hire the appropriate number of MTs to cover those two days instead of asking us to make it all better when the weekend panic mode sets in, which is every single weekend lately.  Of course in order to attract weekenders, that would entail actually paying a living wage a ...

NJA. CCM Says We Have To Makeup Time On Weekends
Nov 06, 2009

only.  Is there anything in the handbook about this?   ...

PT Transcenders Working Weekends
Jan 17, 2010

I also was concerned about the statement in the handbook indicating that even as PT we had to put in an 8 hour day on the weekend.  I contacted the appropriate person who informed me that the polices in the handbook are directed to Transcend MLSs that are hired “the normal way,” and not to the MDI MLSs who are coming in via the merger.  Nothing will change about the way you schedule yourself as long as our accounts stay compliant with TAT. Like you, I am also going to b ...

Do Indian MTs Work Weekends?
Nov 19, 2011

My dictations seem a lot easier today on Saturday with a lot of good dictators versus all of the horrible dictators during the week and I was wondering if this could be due to the Indian MTs not working weekends, or maybe it is just my good luck today! ...

Remedy Tickets On The Weekends
Feb 06, 2014

I work every weekend, and since Christmas there has been little to no work on the weekends.  I tried to do remedy tickets, but the date automatically advances to the upcoiming Monday date, and if I type the date in manually, it gives me an error... and then shows a calendar to chose a date, but all the weekend days are grayed out.  I asked my supervisor about this since I am eligible in my state to get compensated for at least 1 hour of pay, and she tells me you CAN do this, but that w ...

I Hate Holiday Weekends
May 25, 2014

The foreign docs are out in full force,, cannot understand a word they are saying and no American docs to transcribe to help get my line count to anywhere near acceptable range..praying for a lightening strike or an internet failure... ...

Does TTS Have Incentive Pay For 2nd Shift/weekends?
Jul 27, 2014

As an IC, does TTS have incentive pay for working in the evenings and on weekends?  Another company I am looking at does.  Thanks in advance! ...

M MODAL Holidays And Weekends
Feb 14, 2015

How difficult it to get time off on holidays or weekend s? I am struggling with this in their job proposal to me. I don't mind working a couple holidays, but not every single one.  What do they do if you call in "sick"?Why would a company not offer employees some holidays of? I just can't imagine working EVERY holiday.  ...

Nuance - Working Weekends
Mar 27, 2015

Just wondering.  Nuance bought out my old company a while back, and I have always worked Monday through Friday.  Now all of a sudden they say we HAVE to work either Saturday or Sunday EVERY WEEK.  My question is, if I had said no to the weekend as I was hired Monday-Friday, could they have fired me? ...

Part-time, Evenings And Weekends
Dec 26, 2013

Hoping my fellow MTs might know if there are companies that hire for 15-20 hours a week.  I can work both days of the weekends and a couple evenings per week.  It's almost impossible to ascertain this information from companies' websites, and they make it difficult to contact their HR departments.  I appreciate any advice you can lend.  ...

Move Hours To Nights And Weekends Or I Will Be Forced
Aug 21, 2010

Isn't that a kicker?   WHERE IS MY WORK?????   Does anyone know how to manage a workload?  My CCM obviously needs help!  Six months ago, it was "We need Monday hours... move them or else." Four months ago, it was "We need Friday hours... move them or else." Three months ago, it was "We need Saturday evening hours... move them or else." One month ago, it was "I have no Sunday coverage... move hours or else." This month it is "We do not need Monday hours, move ...

Are There Any Companies With Clinic Work Available All The Time - Weekends Included?
Dec 09, 2013

If they may be hiring now, that's even better!  Thanks in advance!  :) ...

If I'm An IC, Can A Company "require" Me To Work On The Weekends?
Jan 04, 2011

I don't think that is IC status is it? ...

Anyone Know What's Up With Oracle/OTI?
Jan 31, 2010

I haven't had much work for months.  Since last summer actually.  Can never make minimum.  I have another part-time job so I'll survive, and I do like that company on a whole, but there has been NO WORK.  They keep promising new accounts that never happen.  Is it just me?  Are there some Oracle workers that are happy and have enough work? I know sometimes it is famine time as an MT, but this is ridiculous. I wonder if they lost some big accounts or somethi ...

Where Is Oracle? 
Aug 12, 2010

Where is Oracle?  I miss her intelligent answers.     ...

Oracle Pay Cut
Nov 10, 2010

Just wondering - how many at Oracle got a pay cut 10/01?  Not trying to start problems - just disappointed in them and wondering.  ...

Does Anyone Know If OTI/Oracle Has Given Up On Their ASR?
May 03, 2011

Just noticing that I am getting some regular transcription that used to be ASR. ...

Oracle?
May 22, 2011

I've applied to Oracle....any thoughts?  Are they heavy ESL?  Any info appreciated!  Thanks!   ...

Anyone Get The Job With Oracle - OTI??
Nov 13, 2012

Sounds like a pretty reasonable place to work. Hardly ever read any posts here about them so I assume, no news is good news and their employees must be fairly content. Just curious, as they seldom hire. I applied, but I am acute care/hospital transcription and they were looking for people to fill multispecialty clinic account, so folks who have an extensive background in clinic work. Just curious if anyone has started and how they like it. Also curious if there are any who have been with ...

Does Oracle (OTI) Still Have ASR?
Oct 09, 2013

d ...

Haynes And Oracle
May 04, 2010

Has anyone heard of Haynes Transcription or Oracle transcription. If so, I would like to get good or bad info on them.   Thanx ...

Oracle Transcription?
Jul 20, 2010

Does anyone currently (or you did sometime this year) work for Oracle Transcription? If so, what's your experience been like? I'm interested in working with them part time as an IC. ...

Oracle Workload
Aug 12, 2010

Can anyone tell me how the workload is at Oracle?  I'm tired of it being slow all the time where I am currently.  I'm concerned about taking a new position and it being the same-o, same-o. ...

Is Oracle And OTI The Same Company?
Jun 23, 2011

Is Oracle and OTI the same company?  Any info on either?  Thanks. ...

Oracle Or Landmark? And Why?
Sep 23, 2010

Which one would you choose, and why?  (I am experienced on Bayscribe, a platform they both use.) ...

Oracle Info Please
Sep 25, 2010

Can anyone give me info about Oracle? Good or bad is welcome. ...

Oracle Reply?
Sep 30, 2010

For anyone who applied to Oracle last week, did you get any kind of reply?  I called their office and the receptionist said she was looking over many aps and would be hearing from her, but nothing.  ...